Banshee 3M/3E
Victor Dragon Slayer
Clan Gargoyle has a hardlocked XL400

Honorable mention goes to:
Awesome-9M: XL385
Centurion-D: XL390
Zues: XL390
Victor: XL385

Due to the high cost of these engines, the prospect of putting an XL400 in a 'Mech is deceptively alluring. In the grand analysis these high engine caps are actually a gimmick feature. Either, you will have a small unworkable payload or the 'mech will be much more vulnerable to an early destruction.

I have done it myself just for the lulz of hitting a certain speed in such a large 'Mech. However, beyond that, it is a dead end.

On the Clan side, an example of a troubled 'Mech is the 80 ton Gargoyle. This 'Mech is stuck with an XL400 and many players feel the 'mech has limited build options.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 27 April 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#2 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Yup, he's right. No player should make any decision in this game based solely or even partially on C-bills, except when earning said C-bills of course.

EDIT:

Oh, to add on the Gargoyle however, it's not all that bad. The stock loadouts are pretty useful when piloted correctly. Just can't play them like your typical assault, they're more like a heavy mech. I sometimes even think of the stock Gargoyle PRIME as a medium with lots of armor.

I advise teaming up with a Timber Wolf when you pilot a GAR. That's how they were intended to be played, and surprisingly that translates pretty well from tabletop to MWO.

Edited by Repasy, 27 April 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#3 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

The Wubshee and Wubmaster beg to differ.

#4 luigi256

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

I guess this post is a warning to players not to purchase the engine?

If you don't want to don't. It doesn't really add too too much and cost a lot of c-bills.

But I have fun swapping my engine between a couple of mechs and the added mobility is great to see in usually slow assault mechs.

#5 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

I enjoy the XL400 Wubshee, but I prefer the STD350 Wubshee. The survivability trumps the extra 10kph for me.

#6 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

Due to the space I have on a mech due to 6 engine heatsinks in the CT due to XL 400 and the fact it's an XL can leave room for Endo steel or more weapons after the DHS's are added.

My banshees and Battlemasters show this quite well, where I have more firepower and heat effeciency and speed over a Battlemaster that has a Standard 330-ish.

Another thing is bigger engines = faster speed, rotation, pitch, arms, etc. It means my battlemaster can role damage much easier with a 400 then a 300.

personally all my battlemasters besides the LRM one run an XL 400.

#7 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

What is the point of this thread?
But the statement in the title is correct.

#8 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:03 PM

I'd say that in general XL engines aren't ideal regardless of the size or price. On a light they're great! If you lose a ST you're probably dead anyway. On the QKD, go for it! Over 100kph in a heavy and the CT on that thing combined with those mosnter arms means you rarely die to ST destruction. By and large though, I avoid XL engines.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

Well at least your XL400 won't explode once you lose a side torso.

So you've got that going for you, which is nice.

#10 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

Not sure who decided it ever was endgame content...

#11 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,552 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 27 April 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

Not sure who decided it ever was endgame content...

He is referencing the cost, of which is the same as a Seismic and Radar Dep modules which are considered endgame content.

Honestly the whole management of engines needs to be redone. I would much prefer it to be a cost to switch between the two like other "upgrades" and maybe a cost to adjust it to a different size rather than what we have now.

#12 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

XL400 Pretty Baby isnt the best mech but my god its a lot of fun when you learn how to use it properly.

#13 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 27 April 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

He is referencing the cost, of which is the same as a Seismic and Radar Dep modules which are considered endgame content.

Honestly the whole management of engines needs to be redone. I would much prefer it to be a cost to switch between the two like other "upgrades" and maybe a cost to adjust it to a different size rather than what we have now.

I think the selling needs to be reworked. Let some items be sold for the original value and others be sold for less. It is a way to discreetly nerf some items and to encourage players to stockpile things.

#14 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

never had a use for the 400XL - until i met Mr. 3M

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...220e84e77798cc8

#15 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 27 April 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

I enjoy the XL400 Wubshee, but I prefer the STD350 Wubshee. The survivability trumps the extra 10kph for me.

Some prefer the faster torso twist...

#16 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

Hey don't forget the Trebuchet-3C, it can mount a 390. Kind of like a CN9-D that trades the ballistics for an extra laser, making it a pretty good light hunter.

#17 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

The XL 395 weighs 2 tons less.

I hate the way engine weights translated into this game. TT didn't let you choose any old engine you wanted, so I guess it didn't matter. But some are identical weight, some are a half-ton apart, a full ton, two tons. It's all over the damn place. I wish they would just space them evenly for MWO.

#18 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

View PostFelio, on 27 April 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

I hate the way engine weights translated into this game. TT didn't let you choose any old engine you wanted, so I guess it didn't matter. But some are identical weight, some are a half-ton apart, a full ton, two tons. It's all over the damn place. I wish they would just space them evenly for MWO.

My TT ruleset knowledge is sketchy as I never played it. As I understand it, it has something to do with internal engine heatsinks+gyro between STD Engine 100-250 in increments of 25. Beyond 250, 250-400, every 25 ratings requires a jump in weight because of a larger gyro.

so

Engine 100-250: each 25 rating increment includes weight from 1 ton of heatsinks + bigger gyro weight

Engine 250+: each 25 rating increment includes weight from a bigger gyro

It sort of makes sense because a STD 245 is 1.5 tons lighter then a STD 250. (1 ton of sink and .5 tons of gyro) or maybe its just .5 tons of engine weight scaling, who knows.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 28 April 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#19 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 28 April 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

My TT ruleset knowledge is sketchy as I never played it. As I understand it, it has something to do with internal engine heatsinks+gyro between STD Engine 100-250 in increments of 25. Beyond 250, 250-400, every 25 ratings requires a jump in weight because of a larger gyro.

so

Engine 100-250: each 25 rating increment includes weight from 1 ton of heatsinks + bigger gyro weight

Engine 250+: each 25 rating increment includes weight from a bigger gyro

It sort of makes sense because a STD 245 is 1.5 tons lighter then a STD 250. (1 ton of sink and .5 tons of gyro) or maybe its just .5 tons of engine weight scaling, who knows.

Ugh.

#20 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, it would make the game a bit more interesting if the weight/output of the engines were to match how the weight/output of the generators works for Armored Core.

View PostFelio, on 27 April 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users