126 replies to this topic

#1 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

Not sure how else I can elaborate this.

Edited by Poisoner, 04 May 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Target locks are useful for things other than LRM rain.

#3 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

"Sorry sir, unable to comply." -A.I. Lance-mates who have no idea what you're talking about

#4 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostPoisoner, on 04 May 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

Not sure how else I can elaborate this.

Whats wrong, afraid some neck beard is going to out damage you, or take your kill?

Seriously, a good missile support player brings a lot to the table. Note the emphasis on __good__. Most successful LRM sleds are usually in the thick of it, right behind the vanguard where their missiles have short flight times and they can NARC, TAG and utilize UAV's with impunity. Most of the time. Sometimes, they just want to soften up your targets for you.

Give 'em a hand, hey?

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

The problem is quite simple

1) long-range meta dominates
2) without brawling LRMs have trouble holding locks

Easiest way to fix LRMs is simply to bring back brawling... then locks get held and LRMs are more useful.

#6 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

"Hey, these guys brought LRMs! Let's not target anything to make sure they can't contribute to the game in any meaningful way! That will show them!"

#7 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

Preferably, don't bring LRMs.

#8 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

Pffft Novakaine never begs chump brawlers for locks.
Novakaine make is his own locks out of cotton candy and angel hair.
Hell half of ya knuckle draggin brawlers barely now what the letter R even looks like.
Ungrateful Neanderthals.

Whenever Novakaine encounters a junior rocketeer, Novakaine always tells them..........
"Have some pride Rocketeers don't beg."
So here's Novakaine solution to lack of target locks from chump brawlers.
Posted Image

Get some.

#9 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

It still amazes me when I see a player not locking target when I spectate. I see them shooting healthy components instead of the ones about to fall off. I see them going after an unarmed target (all weapons destroyed) while being shot up by armed enemies. The R key is your friend. It's there to help you. Refusing to use it to spite LRM carrying teammates is downright idiotic.

#10 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

lrm boats should suffer
no locks
no help

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 04 May 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#11 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 04 May 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

lrm boats should suffer
no locks
no help

MWO:
A Team Based Game

Edited by Burktross, 04 May 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#12 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

Locks show you damage read outs...duh.

#13 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

Sure, I'll hold a lock for as long as I can safely expose myself to keep it held. Just don't cry when I have to get back into cover and drop that lock because I'm being shot at.

#14 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

Am I happy when I drop and find my lance is bristling with LRMs? Of course not. But you have 2 choices.

1. Go out of your way to not lock targets and play as if it were a 9v12

OR

2. Lock targets, use that UAV, and try to keep those LRM boats alive until they can at least spit out a thousand missiles before they die.

#15 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

Yup. Indirect locks should be viewed as a nice little bonus, but you should never rely on players holding locks for you. I'm always suspicious of indirect locks because they can be lost at any moment. Then you have 100 missiles in the air that are destined to hit dirt.

#16 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

it's nice when i get locks, but i don't need locks when i LRM. i slave TAG to LLs/ERLLs or LPLs so i can shoot at targets while getting a lock TAGging a target

everyone else SHOULD be locking targets just so they know where to shoot on their target to bring them down the fastest, and to let the rest of the team know where the enemy is

#17 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostDavers, on 04 May 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

Am I happy when I drop and find my lance is bristling with LRMs? Of course not. But you have 2 choices.

1. Go out of your way to not lock targets and play as if it were a 9v12

OR

2. Lock targets, use that UAV, and try to keep those LRM boats alive until they can at least spit out a thousand missiles before they die.

Sad but true, I like to be the only one on the whole team, all the bonuses for me.

View PostAloha, on 04 May 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

It still amazes me when I see a player not locking target when I spectate. I see them shooting healthy components instead of the ones about to fall off. I see them going after an unarmed target (all weapons destroyed) while being shot up by armed enemies. The R key is your friend. It's there to help you. Refusing to use it to spite LRM carrying teammates is downright idiotic.

The problem is unless you know the player you don't know if they're salty or some noob who thinks boating the back 40 is the way to go.
Its so boring back there, don't know how they can stand it.

I see the lrm sucks party is already here, I boat and do agree with them a bit. to many guys at 950m, or more with quirks and modules, and what happens up front is not pretty. I loathe losing because of them.
Problem is anytime you try to share any knowledge with lrm players it turns into an lrms suck troll fest. Noobs think its the best way to stay alive and progress. Doing it right is not easy, its one of the harder skillsets if you want to do high damage.
The game has changed, slow, tubbed out, lrm assaults are not it anymore, thats why you see the rise of the Godpower 4N.
Taking all my Stalkers that way, only assaults I have. I don't have any Heavies, Just fast IS mediums and a couple of lights.

#18 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

Not helping your teammates is a poopy move, so... there's nothing else to say to it.

If you want your LRM boats to be "more effective" or "more useful" by bringing TAG, using good position, and not be wholly dependent on the teammates, that is the most you can ask for about the LRM boats.

LRM boats that stand still instead of trying to find better positions to get better LRM hits are doing themselves a disservice.

Edited by Deathlike, 04 May 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#19 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

If you bring LRMs to the PUG queues, expect to get your own locks. I'm not going to be your meat shield so that you can hide behind a hill and waste a chassis as a "dedicated" LRM boat.

But if you do bring LRMs, you have your own TAG/BAP/NARC, and you stay with the group and take your fair share of damage, I'll work my butt off to support you.

Remember folks, each team can only absorb so much damage, too. If one of your team's Mechs is hiding behind a hill (and god forbid it's an Assault), the team as a whole has less armor and is weaker because of it. LRM-equipped Mechs need to absorb a few alphas, too, to spread the enemy team's damage around as much as possible. It's no different than twisting to spread damage, but on a team-wide scale.

#20 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

If we are winning by 5 or more the lock is always turned off after it is acquired unless it is a fresh target. I live longer because I am not being shot in the back by team mates trying to get the last kill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users