Mauler Builds

152 replies to this topic

#1 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

So, who has been brainstorming their builds for this thing? I have been using the Highlander (C) as my base but cant come up with any builds I really like. I have alacarted it on my IS acct, but the thing just seems like its going to be to slow, or to underarmored, or to undergunned.....

So far, I have come up with

2ERLL
2AC5 3tammo
2LRM10+Art 1 or 1 1/2t ammo
270standard
max armor
Endo
3 xtra DHS

I was trying to make a ERPPC build, or a PPC build, but I like max armor and I cant seem to get a build I Like with those.

#2 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

I'm kind of on the fence for the R2 pack, but my recent experience with Highlanders makes me wary of the Mauler... I cannot believe this hulking behemoth will be very XL friendly and I can't stand bringing a mech with less than 100% torso armor. So slow it is.

I haven't run the numbers yet, but have you tried 2 AC20 or 4 (U)AC5 or even 6 AC2 builds? Add some backup ML and ignore missiles. I guess the 6 missile hardpoint variant could be a LRM boat...ugh.

#3 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostXione87, on 06 May 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

I'm kind of on the fence for the R2 pack, but my recent experience with Highlanders makes me wary of the Mauler... I cannot believe this hulking behemoth will be very XL friendly and I can't stand bringing a mech with less than 100% torso armor. So slow it is.

I haven't run the numbers yet, but have you tried 2 AC20 or 4 (U)AC5 or even 6 AC2 builds? Add some backup ML and ignore missiles. I guess the 6 missile hardpoint variant could be a LRM boat...ugh.

I like to keep the mech true to it's form, so I wanna add LRMs or rockets to some degree, I think a Mauler with no launchers will just look terrible. Im derpy like that.....prolly half my issue in this gmae, I kinda go with non meta builds to keep the mechs look...

#4 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 May 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

I like to keep the mech true to it's form, so I wanna add LRMs or rockets to some degree, I think a Mauler with no launchers will just look terrible. Im derpy like that.....prolly half my issue in this gmae, I kinda go with non meta builds to keep the mechs look...

I respect that attitude, I would love to do the same myself if I didn't find LRMs to be so boring. I do have quite a few mechs with SRMs but they often screw up the aesthetics anyway.

Speaking of which: why is a SRM4 about 80% of a Highlander's side torso but only 20% of a Centurion's? :/

#5 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:43 AM

I think on the Mauler® it should be a good brawler : 4xSRM 6 + 4xMG + 2xLPL?

It would deserve a try and it's going to be different because you don't have big ACs...

#6 Praslek2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

We all know why the Mauler really exists....

It's a double AC20 assault that can shield like a Greek phalanx.

There's a reason they didn't put it in until they'd sorted out Clans.

#7 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

Or dual gauss while we are at it...

#8 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

Dual AC20, 6 ML. Hopefully the missile pods shrink.

#9 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:37 AM

6x AC/2, 2x ML, 2x LRM/5
If yer gonna troll, TROLL HARD!

#10 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:04 AM

All the ballistics, some of the energy, none of the missiles.

#11 Samedi Wretch

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

Here are a few I've been thinking about. The more I play with idea's for this mech the more I cant wait to get it :)

2x AC20 and a PPC (or a LPL) with a STD 305.
2x Gauss and 2x ERLL with an XL 325.
4x AC5 with a pair of ML and a STD 305.

#12 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

I am actually kinda excited to mess with this mech.

In MW4, you got this thing as your first assault, and really, you ran it for every mission in the first campaign for what felt like forever. IMO, it always felt too slow for the missions, or too undergunned if you did anything about the speed. However, most of the ballistics were pretty meh in that game, and I think that really hurt the loadouts.

IMO, putting big LRm launchers on it will suck all the tonnage off the chassis and make it impotent. I think there will be several ways to make it potent, and different:

-Large amounts of dakka with paltry laser backup. lasers are for chumps..dakkadakkadakkadakka. Whats a missile?

-Huge LPL or PPC arms, SRMs. Ballistics are heavy. Man this thing runs hot. C'mon, I dare you to come within my 90M min range. I DARE you.

-Lrm boat. Because people will do it. YUCK.

-Mixed loadouts. Smaller lasers, like MPL, smaller LRM racks like a pair of tens or 5's, some SRM maybe, and less dakka, like a pair of UAC5's. No range is left open, heat is easy, DPS is strong, but it will get ganked by peek and shoot mega alphas. It would still be very fun, if not as effective as the one trick pony loadouts.

IMO, it is going to be slower then it needs to be because the "big boys" have such amazing facewrekz power there is no way a Mauler could stand up to a DWF or King Crab's fury unless it sees some decent armor quirks. Who knows, maybe they will do like they have more recently and one variant will have just that, additional 20+ armor on the torsos. That would make it a real brute in a in your face fight, with some ML and SRM, pair of AC10's.

#13 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostEldagore, on 08 June 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

-Large amounts of dakka with paltry laser backup. lasers are for chumps..dakkadakkadakkadakka. Whats a missile?

-Huge LPL or PPC arms, SRMs. Ballistics are heavy. Man this thing runs hot. C'mon, I dare you to come within my 90M min range. I DARE you.

This.

For some reason I want to try like 2x PPCs & 2 AC/10s. Not quite the Annihilator, but same damage potential with decent range with some SRMs for back-up. Not sure if normal AC/10s or LB-10/Xs. Might go with a bunch of MPLs and the LB-10/Xs.

It's gonna be a very fun mech.

#14 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:55 PM

2LRM 5
ER Large Laser
the more AC/2 I can with enought ammo.

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

#15 Storky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 905 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:28 AM

How about 2*AC20 and srms?

#16 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 04 August 2015 - 04:10 AM, said:

Hmm... MAL-2P (PGI variant): 2LPL+4ML+2UAC/5 (with 6 tons of ammo)
  • Left click: all lazors (42 damage, 30 heat - can alpha 3x)
  • Right click: 2UAC/5
  • Button 3: 2LPL
  • Button 4: 4ML
  • 16DHS, XL300 (54/59.4 kph)
  • 52 Firepower, 5.03 DPS, 30% Cooling
Caution: Hot!

Plink the target from range with the twin UAC/5 and when you are near him, spray his face with lazors!

#17 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostStorky, on 09 August 2015 - 02:28 AM, said:

How about 2*AC20 and srms?

Not enough slots since missiles and ACs will both be in the side torsos. Of course you could run 1x AC20 and then SRMs in the opposite.

#18 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

4 AC5:s 285 rounds of ammo,couple of medium lasers as support,endo steel and STD300

#19 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

LRMs are so situational that I rarely bring them... My Hunchie 4J and Battlemaster 1S being the only 2 I can think of in my deck. So no LRMs for my Maulers...

On the other hand... Those ballistics are waist height and torso mounted, which is a fairly bad placement that doesn't let you aim up and down easily. They also make you expose most of your mech to use them...

Also those arm weapons are waist height as well, so not much better than ballistics...

I expected it to be slightly better than the Highlander, Victor, or Atlas in firepower, though with the same bad placement of the weapons... If it's Awesome or King Crab wide though... mmm... I expect it will be very hard to make truly effective, but I'll be trying anyways...

Edited by Shadey99, 10 August 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#20 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7207c01421af1cb

All it takes is a quick glance at the mech on the Sarna.net page, and on the store page for MWO to see that AC/2's are very popular on the Mauler. It stands to reason then that AT LEAST one of the variants will be quirked heavilly for AC/2's. It was with that in mind that I went to smurfy and loaded up the closest thing I could find, and did the best I could.

Just imagine the guns where they belong. I used data from the Highlander for armor totals (because it's 90 ton), and used the Banshee for the actual build because it had enough hardpoints. I limited it to a 325 because the info site lists it as the max engine rating. I'm going to guess 65kph on it. It will be incredibly hot unless it's quirked to hell with AC/2 and ballistics quirks that remove heat. I get that not many people like AC/2's, claiming them to be weak and hot. However, I just know that this mech will be quirked for the AC/2's, so I just had to give it a try. As for hexa-AC/2 builds? I don't think they will be viable at all due to the heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users