Dev Stream, Thad Talks About Map Improvements!

81 replies to this topic

#41 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

I want to go in a fire starter and do what it does best, start fires... I want to make my enemies burn and boil inside there over heating mechs in the forest inferno >=3

#42 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 08 May 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

I like what I see so far, the one exception is the boulders in the river, at the center of the map.

I would rather see something like a crashed plane or dropship there, over having big rocks.

Here is a poor mock up of why I think it might work since the runway is at a good angle for wreckage to be in the water instead of boulders.

Posted Image

Brilliant!!

#43 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 08 May 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

I like what I see so far, the one exception is the boulders in the river, at the center of the map.

I would rather see something like a crashed plane or dropship there, over having big rocks.

Here is a poor mock up of why I think it might work since the runway is at a good angle for wreckage to be in the water instead of boulders.

Posted Image

Landing strip too short/narrow. It should not appear as if it is a place holder

#44 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 08 May 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

The way I had thought about it was, it was a small field for smaller craft that was pressed into service to evacuate civilians during the fighting.

And there are plenty of scary short runways in the world: http://www.dailymail...touch-down.html

#45 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

The spider running through the tree's reminds me of this. :lol:

#46 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

View PostDennis de Koning, on 08 May 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

I'd like everyone to keep in mind that the pics are of a work in progress.
The rocks in the river for example are just proxies, there are no trees in the planar view, the lighting is not changed etc, etc.
Do not take any of the images as literal representations. All images show the RC redux in an incomplete state.
So please, keep this in mind when you post your critique.

thanks.

DdK

I'd like to further complain that none of these are a personal Hatchetman for all players named "Dawnstealer." Other than that? Map's pretty good - nice work.

#47 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

I dont know that its too short/narrow.

but the aircraft thats on it is way too big. I think it would be fine for normal sized aircraft.

#48 HUNTERS MOON

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:50 PM

View PostAppogee, on 08 May 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

One fifth of the new map (most of the bottom right quadrant) is a complete waste of space... a pocket of nowhere that will never play a part in the battle once the lance that drops there has walked out of it.

What a waste. Son I is disappoint.

If the large greyed-out mountain area in the bottom center was actually playable map, instead of out of bounds, there'd be far more interesting battle options.

Thanks for trying PGI.. really. But, couldn't you guys have just modified all those CW maps for general use? Would have been a great thing to do and can't really be that much of a problem...

Edited by RENEGADEMOON, 08 May 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#49 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 08 May 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

The way I had thought about it was, it was a small field for smaller craft that was pressed into service to evacuate civilians during the fighting.

And there are plenty of scary short runways in the world: http://www.dailymail...touch-down.html

Well I do not think it is an Aerocraft, I think it is a dropship as it closely resembles another dropship just larger.

I think the "airstrip" is for multipurpose reasons.

For eg for aerocraft to land and aerospace fighters while dropships and VTOL like aerospace dropships could land.

I picture this ship can VTOL it's way up but it's more easier to give it a little 'push' forward first so that lift could help it up faster in a quicker time. (Using KSP as my evidence here, going straight up may take time, going straight forward can take to much space, doing both at the same time gets into the air quicker.)

Also it's not as bad as MW:4 landing strips...
Posted Image

This is it's "Landing strip", the landing strip for this mainly horizontal flying dropship is the same length as the dropship! (this is because it's a semi vtol like dropship, both down and forward facing thrusters work at the same time)

#50 M A S E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostKhobai, on 08 May 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

I dont know that its too short/narrow.

but the aircraft thats on it is way too big. I think it would be fine for normal sized aircraft.

I agree with the size of the ship. The new airstrip looks fine imo. It would be logical to scale it down or replace it with something smaller.

As for the new rocks in the river, in regards to their size and placement they don't natually blend well with the map.. especially being the only rocks there and happen to be surrounding a bridge. A few smaller rocks throughout the river and maybe shortening the current ones currently added would do the trick.

Maybe an extension to the citadel or some destruction on the corner facing the cargo ship for a change in dynamic to that area would be a healthy addition too. All in all I am excited to try out the map and see it in the new dynamic lighting.

#51 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostMalleus011, on 08 May 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

This particular spawn arrangement is exactly what I was going to suggest, even if the river entry on the south central part of the map doesn't ever get opened up. It encourages play across the entire map as opposed to the currently-integrated spawn arrangement of one team on the east side and another on the west side, which just funnels everyone into the central urbanized area.

But even better is your suggestion of multiple, rotating spawn arrangements :D

Even so, I'm happy to see the map being reworked at all! I'm excited...

#52 Norbaer HALL

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 08 May 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

Only thing that makes me sad is that it doesn't look like they expanded the city all that much.. :(
Still, will be nice to have some surrounding terrain. The addition of the island was a great idea!
You are talking about THIS monstrosity blocking the river after the citadel ?
Posted Image
IF they would have connected it with a BRIDGE to the old dock with the ship, and would have left a bit more room for the water from the river on the other side it would look more like RL !

View PostM A S E, on 08 May 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

I agree with the size of the ship. The new airstrip looks fine imo. It would be logical to scale it down or replace it with something smaller...
Atually the DROPSHIP on the airstrip has just the right size for a LEOPARD : http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Leopard
The real problem is that the shuttles which are used to drop 4 mechs in CW are TOO SMALL !

Edited by Norbaer HALL, 08 May 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#53 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 08 May 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

no matter how big you make the map, if you have the spawn points the exact same every single match then the battle ends up happening in the exact same area every match anyways, wasting most of the map. worst offender: crimson straits Terra Therma, Alpine Peaks, and Caustic Valley

Honestly, Crimson Strait is one of the better maps for avoiding this issue. Probably 60%-70% of matches I play there end up in either the "garage"/loading dock area or the tunnel leading to it, but I do have a fair amount of matches where fighting takes place on the northwest peninsula, the western island, or the southern spawn zone. The train station, however, is criminally underutilized - which is a shame because it's probably the coolest-looking part of the map.

Everyone's experience is different, natch. But there's no way CS is worse than TT or AP. You pretty much have to BRUTE FORCE your way into a battle anywhere other than the caldera/valley in those two respective maps. Caustic's bad too, but that's compounded by its small size.

Tourmaline Desert is my favorite map for this very reason. Although there is still some focus on the ring at the center, that area really is a death zone, and the "cover" hills to its north aren't really much safer. I've had numerous fights just about everywhere on that map. I love it!

I also love it because it's not full of artificial, so-obviously-designed-for-'Mechs-and-nothing-but-'Mechs "environmental" features that it looks more like a Solaris arena than an actual world that people would live and work on. HPG Manifold and Canyon Network are probably tied for being the worst at this (unless you want to include CW maps, which get ridiculous) but all maps indulge in it to some degree or another. It's a real immersion-killer, at least for me :(

I mean, what a coincidence that there's so many rocks just tall enough to keep my 'Mech safe! And it's so odd that all these naturally-formed ravines accomodate my 'Mech so easily too... Weird, rocks and ravines don't seem to form in any other sizes on this planet... or this one... or THIS one... (really?)

Edited by Bloodweaver, 08 May 2015 - 10:40 PM.

#54 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hey that drop space is still better than nothing , its a sizeable increase compared to the original. not everyone's going to be happy. but at least somethings coming :P

#55 102_devill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

What's the point of a bigger map when the deathmatch is the only objective of the game?
Now we will probably have more light mechs surviving last and running around extending the match which is already over.
You guys need to improve maps but you need to have some more sophisticated objectives in mind when you do it.
That is if you ever plan to evolve this game into anything more than 12vs12 deathmatch.

#56 Snoopy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 107 posts
  • LocationAlmost there ...

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

Wow! A massive improvement. Great work and very good to give this infirminformation to us ! Thanks

Edited by Snoopy, 08 May 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#57 Hornviech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:30 AM

OMG Fire on trees great!!

just a hint:
the fire should burn longer 1 or two minutes and spread a bit to lay down a hot smoke Screen and do heat increase an mechs.

The smoke Screen would bring new tactical opportunities.
Of course trees without leafs don't burn Long and don't spread that much and less smoke like on the snow maps. Maybe it should take longer to set trees on fire on snow maps!

There are three things you Need to set a fire

1. a flamable substance
2. Air
3. Ignition temperature

and everything in an appropriate rate

#58 Mellonbuster

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:33 AM

I welcome updates to the maps. I just want to know if we will get all the maps from CW in the normal game. I dont like the wait nor the length of CW games. Thats just me though.

#59 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

I am so glad they are going to enlarge this map, because I have always thought,...

Posted Image

#60 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

Huge Xenomorph eggs in the middle of the river. Lame.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users