Orions : Xl Friendly?

27 replies to this topic

#1 The Iron Chancellor

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

I've been playing my Orion - Protector variant as of late, as a brawler, and doing relatively well giving heavier mechs (with a little bit of team-help) such as king crabs and direwolves a run for their money, often even outliving and killing them.

I intend to acquire the ON1-VA and ON1-M variants, in order to achieve the level of firepower that I deem logical, and in order for them to not be slow in a sluggish fashion, I am currently in the mindset that I will use XL's in them.

The reason I'm thinking about this, is because more often than not when I do get killed in my protector, It's primarily CT injury, rarely losing a side torso first, and frankly even if I do, by that point my CT is so messed up that I live on for another second or two.

Now I know judging a mech before it is elited is bad practice, so I ask those of you who may have tried to create XL Orion brawlers, did it work out? if so tell of it, if not explain in detail why not.

I'm interested in hearing your replies.

~Regards The Iron Chancellor.

#2 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

I have found them to be perfectly reasonable to run XLs in. Just don't go head-on into a group of assaults.

#3 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

Imho, absolutely not.

They're like the Atlas in that it's very easy to single out a component (especially the LT), and in most cases people will be gunning for your ballistic torso anyway.

But that said, I've had some success with an XL350 ON1-VA.

Still wouldn't recommend it unless, like the above build, you're just in it for a laugh.

#4 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

They are solidly "ok" with XL's.

The big thing with XL's is that if you do use them, you IMMEDIATELY become a support Orion because you need the ability to spread damage at range and not go toe to toe with all of the direct damage. Which does not always go with the amount of low slung weapons they carry, and it ends up being kinda a waist given your 75 ton status on the team.

Orions are actually a VERY tanky chassis with quirks right now. Only utilize XL's if you have a plan to make the most out of the additional firepower you get with them. Otherwise, it is simply not worth the hit to durability.

#5 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostSpiralFace, on 08 May 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

They are solidly "ok" with XL's.

The big thing with XL's is that if you do use them, you IMMEDIATELY become a support Orion because you need the ability to spread damage at range and not go toe to toe with all of the direct damage. Which does not always go with the amount of low slung weapons they carry, and it ends up being kinda a waist given your 75 ton status on the team.

Orions are actually a VERY tanky chassis with quirks right now. Only utilize XL's if you have a plan to make the most out of the additional firepower you get with them. Otherwise, it is simply not worth the hit to durability.

I agree with this, quite a balanced statement about Orions.
I have had a few very successful XL builds, but they are highly vulnerable. As stated, if you're bothering with an XL you better be bringing big angry alphas or DPS. And you have to understand you can't be a frontline poker.

The only reason I would commend XL use in the Orion is because it can tote quite a lot of firepower, being top of the weight category. And the hardpoints are fairly plentiful and interestingly diverse.

The reality is, though, they have BIG side torsos. So, they can be made doable with the XL, but they are not GOOD with the XL. This is not a Firestarter, or a Cat, or an Enforcer.

#6 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

Ok so since it's not very XL friendly, let's see some good performing STD loadouts? I have a Protector I used to kind of like but it is tricky with the XL and widely spread out hardpoints. Not one of my favored mechs these days but I'd like to like it...

#7 The Iron Chancellor

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:41 AM

Ill just share the ideas I had in mind for the Orion K, M, and VA models here
(Keep in mind that I am thinking that these can be made to work, I am no meta-follower of any such description).

ON1-K
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f082c7fa0daed1c

ON1-M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c6d45ce26deb194

ON1-VA - CC version
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...51f3d3c09627f51

ON1-VA Added ammo + slightly larger engine in case you hate the idea of CC
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4df6a017e49dea3

Regardless I'd love to hear constructive criticism/suggestions for improvement on your part.

~Regards The Iron Chancellor.

Edited by The Iron Chancellor, 13 May 2015 - 03:49 AM.

#8 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

Not in the slightest. The Orion sheds its side torsos before dying so you'll get XL deaths more often than CT deaths.

#9 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostJorunn, on 09 May 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

Ok so since it's not very XL friendly, let's see some good performing STD loadouts? I have a Protector I used to kind of like but it is tricky with the XL and widely spread out hardpoints. Not one of my favored mechs these days but I'd like to like it...

A little late, but

Here is what I run. It's a late game brawler. You want to be about 75% or higher toward the latter half of the game. Then you go in and melt faces. One game I got 500+ damage and 4 kills after being afk for ~80% of the match. Do minimal poking/boop targets of opportunity, until your 6th sense starts to tingle and you know the enemy is weak. Your cannon will get focus fired. The trick to not losing your cannon is to kill people before they can blow it off.

PROTECTOR

#10 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

I dunno. I've had good success with this particular ON1-P Setup. Either you go standard and carry less instantaneous firepower, while going slower at the same time, or you carry a much bigger XL, and go fast, while playing support.

The thing is, there's no real wrong way to run the ON1 Chassis thanks to the upgrades to the internals and armor.

The following build is set up to play the long-range fire support. If you really want to, you can trade the LL's for ERLL's, but you'll consequentially run substantially hotter.

PROTECTOR - Eviscerator

Edited by Vaskadar, 19 May 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#11 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

I'm struggling to use this Orion K the armour feels worse than a medium and I do the same amount of damage, even with torso twisting they still seem to hit my center torso.

#12 Michel Hatchet

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

Or the super LRM close support Orion. Seriously, I am not kidding. Works great if you chainfire the LRM 15's
<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=100&l=f6af0eea9dd0f39ce198dfe6d35b04aa2d94cae1">ON1-V</a>
or
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...35b04aa2d94cae1
Modules are of course a must have

#13 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 26 May 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

I'm struggling to use this Orion K the armour feels worse than a medium and I do the same amount of damage, even with torso twisting they still seem to hit my center torso.

Std 300,ac20 4 mLasers, 2 streaks, ams done.

Really effective package, get mlaser range mod.

Edited by deanon, 28 May 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#14 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

I own:
Protector
M
VA

I had several loadouts on Protector, as i owned it before quirks, before laser HSR mega fix, etc. it evolved. I ended with a brawling loadout with a STD engine, but the most fun I had was an AC20 and 2 PPC. It was HOT, but oh, the cries if you snuck in behind someone. Early on I tried some LL +AC20 etc, and it always felt MEH. The mech does much better if you put some pinpoint on it and run a STD and hang out with your fatty pals.

The M:
This one I had trouble with at first trying to make a multi range loadout. then I went PPCx2 +AC10, all on one side, and did some sword and board. it was a little slow, but durable, really durable. kind of a one trick pony, and if your team derps out you will get some face rushers that will end you pretty quick. As a support fire mech it was pretty decent. THEN-
I turned it into a brawler. And i mean face splat chainfire attrition style. LBX10, 2x SRM6 and an SRM4, some lightweight lasers, STD engine. I think i went SL even so I had more tonnage for some ammo and DHS. Most of its power was obviously up close and personal. it had a significant alpha, that really smacked hard at close range. Chainfire those SRM and LBX made heat OK for some sustainability, and people backed down. It is some pretty heavy DPS, and up close it also is blinding to enemy with all the shake and screen splats. I had a BLAST in this mech after I loaded it up this way, it was like playing an Atlas that didn;t lose it's ST in one shot. highly recomend, I dont even know what the quirks are but I didnt care as it performed well and more importantly felt very powerful and tanky.

The VA:

This one, of these 3, is the one to put an XL in. You are either going to be an LRM chump, OR, you can be more unorthodox-
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76d9e5ae0c80ee1

XL360, 2x PPC, 4x SRM4 with 3 tons of ammo. all arm mount, uber easy to aim both systems. You can run artemis with less engine if you want. Or SRM6 with even less engine. Up to you. the beuty of this loadout is running twin PPC with that much heatsink is quite sustainable. With this big of an engine, you can peek half way decent around corners. It works best though, as a flanker. it can almost keep up with a TBR, and so it can fit right in with a mobile clan group, and of course if you have some of the typical flanking mediums along they are roughly right there too. Run and gun. Best part? Someone sees you have PPC, tries to close the gap for min range....SRPRSBUTSEKS, quad SRM stinkfists. there is no range an enemy can exploit you, and really closing below 90M is like a death sentence for anyone that is trying to make you stop the PPC madness.
Again, really fun loadout, and got some variety into the chassis for me. Only thing I can think of that is comparable is a gargamel at this point, big ol' tanky mech running 85 kph at you with solid firepower is pretty scary for anything under assault class.

I can;t say about the other two variants, havent bought them yet.

#15 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

My experience has been that they can be used with an XL but you will need to be very careful early game, and the minimum XL that is useful is the XL325. If you spread damage well, you'll wind up not loosing the side torso most times, and when you do the CT will already be cherry red anyways and you'll be pretty much already dead. Key thing to watch out for is having a side torso taken out from side flank shots as the arms don't shield well at all. Good games with XL Orions are when you get with a group early and add firepower to group without getting hit, then turn loose late game when the extra firepower and mobility lets you mow through 50-60% enemy mechs.

Play the STD as a smallish frontline brawler and the XL as a mobile striker and it all works out OK.

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:32 AM

Should I start going into the orions soon? (I want to get into them before my origins pack drops. Only one I do not own in the IS form. Going to finish commando, cicada, and cataphract first though)

#17 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

IMX, the only way to run an XL engine on an Orion is to go big. 350s and 360s, anything smaller generally isn't worth the added fragility.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:14 AM

View PostEscef, on 05 July 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

IMX, the only way to run an XL engine on an Orion is to go big. 350s and 360s, anything smaller generally isn't worth the added fragility.

I completely agree with this thought. The only thing worse than a slow Orion, is a slow Orion with an XL.

That's why the Orion IIC will be dangerous, as the cXL gives it both the speed and the durability.

#19 Too Tall Kowalsky

• Pip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostEscef, on 05 July 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

I have to also agree here. I run an XL on an ON1-K and it's totally worth it to go big. Just remember to play accordingly, smart pilots shouldn't have trouble shearing off your larger left side.

#20 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:21 AM

Seeing as there is an Orion thread up already and they are going to have a sale on them in a matter of hours...

I'm pretty fond of the CN9-D with an XL300 and LBX10/AC10 and weapon cooldown modules. The Orion 1M also has the same ballistic/LBX quirks. So, my question is: is it possible to run it like a giant CN9-D with XL350/360?

I favour stealthy tactical approach to pick off targets quickly or outbrawl them if they can react in time.

Edited by Matthew Ace, 22 July 2015 - 12:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users