11 replies to this topic

#1 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostDozle Zabi, on 22 May 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

I'll start by saying the dragon is one of my favourite mechs. but it seems to get no love in MWO. and very few people seem to play it. seeing as its long for an overhaul, i have an idea that i'd love to see implemented. why not raise the right arm up to cockpit level? this is how the mech appears in its original design, and even early MWO concept art. it would give it great hull down capabilities with the AC, but not let it be overpowered, since the left arm bearing the energy payload would still be at an awkward lover level.

just a thought anyways

(plus it looks way cooler with the dedicated AC arm)

Posted Image

http://mwomercs.com/...ragon-redesign/ < ongoing thread in GD

Just reposting in "Suggestions" area where this idea ought to belong. :) If you look at later posts in the thread, the general consensus is that this ^ plus removing the super-quirk on the Dragon-1N is the favored way to go with the Dragon.

Edited by Telmasa, 22 May 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

OP is right and if you do this please concider making the center torso narrower and the side torsos wider along their respective hitboxes.
It you could make it look less like it's taking a dump standing up that would be a good thing too.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 22 May 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...ragon-redesign/ < ongoing thread in GD

Just reposting in "Suggestions" area where this idea ought to belong. :) If you look at later posts in the thread, the general consensus is that this ^ plus removing the super-quirk on the Dragon-1N is the favored way to go with the Dragon.

The original reason for the change in the Dragon is the TRO shows that the Dragon has a lower arm actuator in the right arm... and does NOT at all have a hand actuator (this is a typo/error).
The TRO art clearly shows no right lower arm actuator and a hand actuator.
Either way the mech would have 49 slots free with no equipment beyond stock frame + engine.
In MWO it has 48 slots free with no equipment beyond stock frame + engine, thus gimping the MWO Dragon.

Using the TRO art (and thus the art you show here as same thing in terms of the right arm) as the basis also sets it apart from the Grand Dragon enough to allow both mechs to exist and have great use in MWO.

#4 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

This is something everyone wants for every mech that has arm weapons. I think the arms should swing around while you walk/run and should be able to aim up over things instead of staying locked at hip level.

#5 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Rise arms for everyone!!!

#6 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

the real problem is that sheer size of that torso, but giving it the old straightarm would make it stand out a bit more.

#7 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

Should I attach a poll of some kind? Doesn't seem necessary per se but could keep this bumped properly :P

Usual problem of everybody agreeing on it to the point that nobody discusses it & the thread gets lost to the tide...

#8 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

I would be peeved too if they did that just for proportional reasons(which is the reason why the Grasshopper is so tall... but thin at the side angles) yada, yada. PGI has done that(or at least tried) that with every mech in the game. It's annoying, but it makes it's roll more rush/cqc directed than anything. Get over a hill and get your line of sight down. Then you can mow them with your quirk arm.

That's the challenge right now. But for PGIs take on this, the question is... :"Do we really want another post-Clan/post-CW shadowhawk?" Not that threatening now like it used to be because of other meta mechs. I just don't want too many quirks to be ripped off the Dragon. I'd just like to see another mech with a unique shape/hardpoint like Hunchies to be walking around as viable mechs.

and on a side-note: ..if they do this for the Dragon, then they must do it for the StarSlayer. I would pilot that Draconis medium in a heartbeat. But they better not disarm it like the once-dominant Shadowhawk. Not many of those in game now besides the Gray Death walking around...

Posted Image

But yes. RAISE THAT DRACONIS GATLING ARM!

Edited by Zephonarch II, 23 May 2015 - 04:53 PM.

#9 Mahnmut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

All mechs should have a toggle to raise the arms, however once raised, they would have no lateral movement and essentially be locked in that position.

#10 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

The dragon has become one of my fav mechs post quirkening. Its deadly in all three variants i have.

As for the arm raise i think that its a bad idea. A better balance would be limit convergence on on mechs with no lower arm accuators . They get a high firing position but crappy pin point. Arm mechs get a lower firing position but faster/better convergence.

#11 Wikikomoto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 119 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

wow that dozle zabi guy sure did have a good idea, i think we should all listen to him. yes.

#12 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

definitely, high arm would allow it to protect its ct and make it an interesting alternative to jagermech (1 arm, missiles, fast engine)
current ac5 quirks are way over the top

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users