Real Tek Sound Cards, Windows 8 And No Sound

10 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfs shadow

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Is there any known problem with realtek soundcards under windows 8?
(using a simple headset and sound works when I test it but mechwarrior itself does not make any sound at all there for me)

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

Is this problem solely with MWO? If you have multiple outputs one might be muted. Try disabling input jack auto sensing.

I need more info. What is your sound and microphone setup? I also have RealTek but I am using Windows 7. I maybe able to help.
  • USB or analogue setup?
  • Front or rear panel connection?
  • Are the headphones plugged in at the same time as speakers or other line out?

Edited by Spheroid, 23 May 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Wolfs shadow

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Small update and also answering the questions:
1.) Analogue setup, rear. (same for front)
2.) Only headphones plugged in.
3.) MWo voip interestingly works

The soundproblem is only with mwo (tested shadowrun chronicles....no problems there).

Also I disabled all but one sound outputs

Edited by Wolfs shadow, 23 May 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#4 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Everytime I login to MWO, I have to choose my sound output on the Option menu and then save it. If not, the sound wouldn't come out from my speakers. It used not to be like that.

#5 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

here is my realtek setup. I suspect you simply need to tinker with one of the settings until you find the right combination. Somehow the voip has focus. We need to find out what is happening to the main audio stream.

Try messing with the Windows Audio session vs. Direct Audio.

Posted Image

Edited by Spheroid, 23 May 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#6 Wolfs shadow

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Interestingly I dont even get the display you ahve (only the default win 8.1 display for the configuraion option).

Interestingly now it suddenly works oO no clue why.

#7 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

That's very strange because I had something very similar just happen to me with Realtek and Windows 8.1... for about 6 hours. I would go into the audio properties, highlight the speaker system, look at the properties for the real panel audio, without making any changes, and about 30 seconds later the game's sound would come through as normal. If I rebooted either the game or the computer, the process had to be repeated. Now everything is back to normal again.

Ghosts in the machine.... or a quirk in the previous patch.... who knows?

#8 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

Realtek has been the default since 97 when they stopped wasting time and money making sound cards... So most likely not an issue with the driver but an input, cable or board.

Then again, launch it as Administrator in Windows "shitbox" 8 1 and see if you keep having the issue or launch MWO in compatibility using Windows 7 setting

Edited by Creovex, 23 May 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#9 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

Moving to Hardware and Accessories

#10 Capt_Kobalt

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Currently I am using a Creative Labs sound blaster Z card. Works great! Also have 2 Studio Montior Speakers M-Audio Studiophile AV 30's and to creative labs Creative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II. The Sound blaster Z card has plugin's for both front and back speakers, and with a few tweaks you get surround too. I don't care for head phones, They always break anyway. So for a mic I use a blue yeti. Great Mic. Paired with 3 Asus 27 inch monitors, and a SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC 100361-2SR Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card its all a very good setup for gaming. And fantastic for MechWarrior! Give it a try! I have never felt from test that I have run that on board sound is the best way to go. Just like in video cards having a discreet sound card is always better.Yes there are people who will argue the point. But they don't have a whole shop of PC's, cards and mother boards to test stuff with. I do. I have found that the discreet or separate sound card still performs better than on board. And the driver support for them is better.

#11 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

Maybe take a look at their Drivers site if a new Driver helps (at own risk):
http://www.realtek.c...3&GetDown=false

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users