32 replies to this topic

#1 TLxB

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

It are in all parts:

When i go in a path,firestarter kill me.

I go up a ladder,firestarter kill me.

I flank the enemy,firestarter kill me.

I try to kill a lone assault,firestarter kill me.

I retreat to base,firestarter kill me.

So well, i think that the next mech im going to buy after master the Locust was the firestarter,seem op this mech.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Only at low Elo/solo queue.

#3 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

No, not only in low elo. Firestarter is the premier comp light, dude. Otoh, killing them is totally doable. This guy just seems to have started on one of the harder chassis. Locust is great fun once you get them upgraded, but they can be hell until you learn to use them. They're very offensively slanted, with a high degree of maneuverability and good firepower for something so small, but they're ultra-fragile as the only 20 tonners in the game.

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostTim East, on 24 May 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

No, not only in low elo. Firestarter is the premier comp light, dude. Otoh, killing them is totally doable. This guy just seems to have started on one of the harder chassis. Locust is great fun once you get them upgraded, but they can be hell until you learn to use them. They're very offensively slanted, with a high degree of maneuverability and good firepower for something so small, but they're ultra-fragile as the only 20 tonners in the game.

Indeed it is. It's just not OP at all at high Elo/comp, which is what he suggested.

#5 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 24 May 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

Indeed it is. It's just not OP at all at high Elo/comp, which is what he suggested.

Well, I could point out that they have at least one energy slot, up to an extra hundred armor, jumpjets, and good hitboxes all in exchange for 20 KPH top speed in comparison to what he's using. I'm not going to say OP, since I still like to try and kill them, but they are pretty objectively better than Locusts.

#6 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, Locust versus Firestarter? Barring things like combat damage and pilot skill, the Firestarter is statistically better than the Locust pretty well everywhere except for its speed cap (which is, to me, a marginal gain anyhow at those speeds).
So naturally a Locust pilot will feel a lot of pain if they engage Firestarters often. :ph34r:

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostTim East, on 24 May 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

Well, I could point out that they have at least one energy slot, up to an extra hundred armor, jumpjets, and good hitboxes all in exchange for 20 KPH top speed in comparison to what he's using. I'm not going to say OP, since I still like to try and kill them, but they are pretty objectively better than Locusts.

Yes. They're the best light mech in the game. By far. But not OP.

#8 ALKALIN3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

A critted gauss rifle is objectively more dangerous than a Locust....

#9 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostTLxB, on 24 May 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

next mech im going to buy after master the Locust

There's your problem. Everything kills a Locust, but other lights do it very well, and Firestarters, especially the SPL and MPL builds, do it better than anything but a cSSRM Ryoken.

#10 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

Firestarters ain't OP but they have as the others stated the advantage in almost every category expect speed and turning rate.
It also has proper arms that gives it the advantage at short ranges plus JJ's that more than makes up for the 20 kph less speed.

#11 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

Man, you cannot beat the Firestarter while you are in a Locust, if your opponent is good like you or better. (1vs1)

Edited by DrSlamastika, 24 May 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

Firestarters are over powered.... But it because of their borked hit boxes, not cause about the weapons they carry. It reminds me of the centurions before they fixed their hitboxed.. the things could zombie for ever.

PGI needs to fix the hit boxes, but till then your best bet like most lights is to leg it, then the thing is toast.

Your other option is to just outrange them.. more often than not their max range is under 200m, at most they run around 300m.. so back off and they have no chance

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 May 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#13 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

If you want to become a good light pilot, there isnt a better light than the locust!

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostArn0ldSchwarzenegger, on 24 May 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

If you want to become a good light pilot, there isnt a better light than the locust!

my commando would disagree! :P

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

If your experience with Firestarters is as a Locust pilot, then of course you find them OP. :P

Locusts are tiny, hard to hit, low profile so very sneaky, very nimble so they can evade large mechs easily, a 1E with 6x SPL is essentially a 170kph AC/20, and they're fast enough to outrun every mech in the game except perhaps a Commando or Spider.

Firestarters are large, easy to hit, tall profile, not incredibly nimble, and not extremely fast (one of the best builds doesn't even use the maximum engine). They make up for all of this with sheer firepower however. One alpha is enough to leg a Locust, or practically one-shot it if it gets a full burn on a side torso. Firestarters are one of the only IS light mechs that can double as a light hunter. Other candidates are the Huginn, the Oxide, and the Streakmando. But even the king of lights, the Firestarter, realises that it's futile to engage in 1v1 combat with other lights. You take so much damage in such an engagement that it's not worth the effort.

As a Locust pilot this is even more critical. Locusts are ill-equipped to handle other light mechs. They are however, well-equipped to handle more lethargic and less aware targets. Minimise your exposure to mechs that are capable of killing you and position yourself where you can harass mechs that would have trouble dispatching your presence.

Edited by Tarogato, 24 May 2015 - 01:28 PM.

#16 TLxB

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostTarogato, on 24 May 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

If your experience with Firestarters is as a Locust pilot, then of course you find them OP. :P

Locusts are tiny, hard to hit, low profile so very sneaky, very nimble so they can evade large mechs easily, a 1E with 6x SPL is essentially a 170kph AC/20, and they're fast enough to outrun every mech in the game except perhaps a Commando or Spider.

Firestarters are large, easy to hit, tall profile, not incredibly nimble, and not extremely fast (one of the best builds doesn't even use the maximum engine). They make up for all of this with sheer firepower however. One alpha is enough to leg a Locust, or practically one-shot it if it gets a full burn on a side torso. Firestarters are one of the only IS light mechs that can double as a light hunter. Other candidates are the Huginn, the Oxide, and the Streakmando. But even the king of lights, the Firestarter, realises that it's futile to engage in 1v1 combat with other lights. You take so much damage in such an engagement that it's not worth the effort.

As a Locust pilot this is even more critical. Locusts are ill-equipped to handle other light mechs. They are however, well-equipped to handle more lethargic and less aware targets. Minimise your exposure to mechs that are capable of killing you and position yourself where you can harass mechs that would have trouble dispatching your presence.

Actually i ride a 1M with 3 tons of srm ammo,and seen this vídeo ( that its awesome,specially because its pilot was a girl ) makes me a question about if i can do the same work with the 1M. The advantage of lasers was that never runs out of ammo. In addition comment to this video,the music and the winned match makes me laugh :D

#17 TLxB

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

View PostArn0ldSchwarzenegger, on 24 May 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Thanks for say this,terminator :D

#18 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

"Firestarter is kill"

"No"

"Yes"

#19 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostTLxB, on 24 May 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

It are in all parts:

When i go in a path,firestarter kill me.

I go up a ladder,firestarter kill me.

I flank the enemy,firestarter kill me.

I try to kill a lone assault,firestarter kill me.

I retreat to base,firestarter kill me.

play stormcrow, kill firestarter
play streakboat, kill firestarter
play clantech, kill firestarter

every time when you meet it, so many times you kill

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 24 May 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

Probably - it's probably too soon to know if they nerfed it enough yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users