What You Name Your Mechs After?

14 replies to this topic

#1 800

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRaqqa

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

I'm interested to know what you name your mechs after, if you can please share a few names of your mechs and reasoning behind those names!

Personally I split my naming of mechs between Clan and IS mechs.

My Clan mechs are named after species of fishes (because I think that clan mechs default color is similar to that of many fishes) with some adjustments in order to sound more mech like:

MDD-A named 0P4H (Opah, the only warm-blooded fish, because build is VERY hot)

MDD-PRIME named RBW-TRT (Rainbow Trout, popular, good-looking, delicious, found in pretty much every market and shop)

ADR-A named 4B-TUN4 (Atlantic Bluefin Tuna, very expensive, tasty and very well known fish in general, mostly due to sushis made with it)

My IS mechs are named after more known cities in conflict zones, some letters replaced with numbers to add that mech feeling:

CN9-D named 4T4Q (Ataq, fairly small but extremely important city in Yemen, currently in control of the new Yemeni Government. Picked this name because with CN9-D i may look like weak, small and unimportant target,but can harass oppnents team very well with effective peek-a-boos, shielding and zombie tactics)

CN9-A(C) named 4RR4QQ4H (ar-Raqqah, heartland of Islamic State, suffers a lot from air raids however stands defiant and unwavering, named mech like this because it uses the legendary 2XML+3XSRM zombie build being able to endure inconceivable amounts of punishment as a medium mech)

DRG-1N named U84R1 (Ubari, town in an oasis, not that long ago came under control of Berber and Tuareg militias during current war in Libya, named mech like this because I use it as sort of shock troop, being able to appear out of nowhere, deal significant damage with AC/5s and lasers and kill opponent before he even understood what is happening, my favourite mech)

Edited by 800, 07 June 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#2 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

I name them after Chinese generals and swords. For example

Generals:
Lu Bu
Zhang Fei
Ma Chao
Yue Fei
Qi Jiguang
Liu Bei
Zhuge Liang
Guan Yu
Li Xin
Wang Ben
Meng Tian
Meng Wu
Bai Qi
Wang Jian
Lian Po
Li Mu

Swords
Dadao
Pudao
Zhanmadao (Japanized, also called a Zanbato)
Guan Dao
Miao Dao
Liuyuedao
Yanmaodao
Piandao
Niuweidao

Zhanmadao or Chop Horse Saber

Posted Image

Edited by Anjian, 04 June 2015 - 07:28 PM.

#3 800

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRaqqa

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

Most of those aren't actually swords, more likely cold weapons or melee weapons I should say, for example Guan Dao is a polearm, my favourite probably, in many games my username is Guandao, even my email is. Glad to see somebody else interested in ancient Chinese weaponry.

Edited by 800, 05 June 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#4 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:30 AM

I used to come up with unique names for all my mechs. I named all my Hunchbacks after famous football linebackers.

But then I got much mechs and found I was hunting around a lot to find the mechs with the builds I was looking for.

Now I've just assigned everything a role name, such as Mid Range Support, Brawler, Wubs, Sniper, etc.

#5 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

View Post800, on 05 June 2015 - 05:16 AM, said:

Most of those aren't actually swords, more likely cold weapons or melee weapons I should say, for example Guan Dao is a polearm, my favourite probably, in many games my username is Guandao, even my email is. Glad to see somebody else interested in ancient Chinese weaponry.

Pole arm is technically a pole arm when the blade to handle ratio is over 1:1. Guandao is definitely a pole arm, but pudaos can range below that to higher than that.

Except for the guandao and the pudao, most of these are single and two handle swords.

Niuweidao (oxtail saber) --- This is the famously iconic broad, curved scimitar like sword you see in Chinese martial arts movies. The weapon is never actually used in any Chinese imperial forces in any formal manner, but by revolutionary citizens in the last dynasty.

Dadao (big saber) --- This is actually a dadao. This is the historical sword Chinese really fight with. There was a brigade in the Second World War that was famous for using this defending the Great Wall against the Japanese in close quarter combat. If the blade and handle is longer it is often called a Zhanmadao, and if the handle is even longer (past 1:1 ratio) it becomes a Pudao.

Liuweidao, Yanmaodao (Willow leaf, Goose Quill) -- Manchu sabers with more of a pistol grip handle like Middle Eastern and Central Asian swords. Willowleaf sabers are a favorite in the Wushu community as being a really good weapon for teaching and mastering techniques, and similar to jians, these are weapons of finesse and are also worn for stature. These swords arm the Eight Banner Armies, which tends to be filled with Manchu caste. The Green Standard Army is filled with Han ethnics, and armed with Dadao, Pudao, Guandao, Zhanmadao, Miaodao, and Wodao (the last is for imported or replicated Japanese sword).

Miao Dao, Changdao (Grain Leaf, Long Saber) --- These swords look more Japanese and can be mistaken as such. They are much longer than Katanas though much more similar to nodachis and odachis but with a much more moderate curve similar to a katana. The blade is shaped metaphorically like a grain leaf bending in the wind. Unlike Japanese swords, their handles are usually just wood. Along with the Dadao, these were used all the way to the Second World War. Interest in Miao Dao has grown remarkably in the last decade or so, with its own training schools and incorporation into the latest Wushu competitions. It has this long low upward sweeping like movements, like weed cutting.

The way I name my mechs is to match the strategies and characters of the Chinese generals, or just simply because they remind me of that particular person, and those with swords, for the style of combat. Zhanmadao and Miaodao for example, for longer ranged combat, while Nuiweidao and Dadao for closer ranged more brutal fighting. The Liuweidao or Yanmaodao for more precise midranged fighting.

Edited by Anjian, 05 June 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#6 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:16 PM

i name them after their model names

kit foxes are named after cute foxes - ahri (a foxgirl from lol, my main there), kyuubee (a weird white... fox) and alice (alice the fox from 'adventures of buratino' fairy tale, also alice from wonderland (a honorary fox :3) and some other alices)

doomcrows are named after crows and generally birds - kittywake, silly crow and okuu (a nuclear crow from touhou)

timber wolves (mad cats) are not named yet but they will be named after cats, cat's grin (after cheshire cat) and streak kitty

if i bought a hunchback (which i won't do since it's is), for instance, i would name it after a famous hunchback, like quasimodo, richard 3 etc

#7 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

My ancestral Norse gods, godesses and creatures from Norse myths. Also just some random names that sounds fitting for the particular mech.

#8 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostTordin, on 06 June 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

My ancestral Norse gods, godesses and creatures from Norse myths.

^ This ;)

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

My Mechs are named to reflect the installed modules, yes not terribly interesting but it does save time checking 50 different Mechs to find that module I want to finish my new build.

the 100 or so Mechs with no modules (except possibly UAV and arty) are not named

#10 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

My first mechs:
HGN-733C - Behemoth, after the enormous, powerful animal (dinosaur) in Job 40:15-24
RVN-3L - Nighthawk, after the F-117 Nighthawk Stealth Fighter, because of its ECM
CTF-IM - Hunter, equipped with 3 UAC-5s

My clan mechs (some still have their stock names):
SCR-Prime/C/D - Wrona-Prime/C/D, after the Polish word for "crow"
ADR-Prime/A/D - Boa, Python, and Rattler. The rattler is my favorite with Ultra-Autocannons, hence the "Rattler" moniker
NVA-Prime/B/S - Supernova
KFX-Prime/D/S - Coyote, Jackal, Dingo

I'll update this once I rename more of them.

#11 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

The only one I gave a name to is the Arrow.

Posted Image

I named it the Freddie Merc due to it resembling Freddie Mercury's outfit.

Posted Image

And.. Millennium Fatlas is the term I use to describe my atlas builds. That's about it.

#12 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

Let's see... I have a thing for Wolves, but most of my 'Mechs are not named after them...

JR7-D(S) - The Surat, because that's what I have on the dash

CN9-AH - The Nothing, because I can't get rid of it

KTO-18 - The Angry Typewriter (Angry TW), which was chosen by a friend of mine, Karyuudo, because I carry 5 LRM-5s and a Large Laser on it, and I tend to wreck face with it; not all the time, but much of it.
KTO-19 - Scrats Revenge (Scrats Rvng), because I was watching Ice Age one night, as I was building this
KTO-20 - Claymore, because I was playing MechCommander 2 right before I purchased the 'Mech

WVR-6R - Logan, for what I hope are obvious reasons
WVR-7K - ATnT, as I have three LRM-5s and an ERPPC on there

CPLT-C1(F) - Blackwolf
CPLT-C4 - Redwolf, mainly because that's my call sign
CPLT-K2 - Hunter, because I either have really great luck (5 - 7 kills in a game), or I have really bad luck, like dying immediately on contact

BLR-1G - Ronin, (shrug)
BLR-1GHE - Bolero Muerte, it's probably written incorrectly -I'm not good with Spanish-, but I'm getting ready to rename it Useless; pretty paint job, but I'm still working on trying to get a tune out of that trombone.
BLR-1S - Renegade, one of the protected wolves was named Renegade
BLR-3S - Jedi Mickey, I hope someone gets a giggle out of this, hehe... we purchased a Jedi Mickey at Disney World in 2012, and it's hanging up on my wall, now, so I needed a name and looked up to see it when I was choosing a name

AS7-S - Void, because I'll never ever play it

Most of my 'Mechs I picked up to play in CW; but, until they make something useful out of CW, I think I'll stick to pugs.

#13 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostAWOL 01, on 07 June 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

KFX-Prime/D/S - Coyote, Jackal, Dingo

heh, i remember when i began to play mwo and learned the usual tactic of kit foxes, i recalled a 'the jungle book' character, jackal tabaki

Posted Image

^ kit fox going ahead of a dire wolf and a group of timbers and scarecrows :3

#14 SCUD303

• PipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

World War 2 Commanders and Generals.

#15 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

I named my mech after my wife

its an HGN 733C its not my favorite mech and for some reason it just keeps going and going no matter how much it gets banged up and shot up, it does a decent job at killing everything around it. so i named it after my wife.

My Nagging Wife

now the mechs i play on a regular basis that i actually like they have horrible names not worth mentioning usually named after there job function.

Edited by Thegreywolf, 02 July 2015 - 02:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users