38 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

I have more than 100 Mechs. Under the old system, I'd have to scroll through pages of that grind, looking for the one I wanted.

Now I have one list, sorted alphabetically. I dont' have to scroll, I just expand the chassis that I want, and select the variant. It's quicker than the old grid, despite the extra click.

Yes, it can be improved a little. For example, it should be on the left of the screen, like the rest of the Mech Lab. There should be a few more sort options, for those who want them. Maybe and 'owned' vs 'purchasable' tickbox, too.

And the rest of the Mech Lab needs heaps of work. Especially the font size, all caps, and kerning.

But overall I find the new Mech Selection approach better than the old. Just putting it out there.

#2 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:28 AM

Pgi should bring back the ready list from 1.5. Mechs flagged ready would use the grid view. Thats really my only complaint besides scaling issues.

#3 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostAppogee, on 05 June 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

I have more than 100 Mechs. Under the old system, I'd have to scroll through pages of that grind, looking for the one I wanted.

Well, no. That part of the system is not new, "Select Mech" has been there as a menu system from the start of UI2.0 from memory. There's just a couple of new buttons added to it.

It was better before because I wanted a visual interface, you wanted a menu system. Both were there. Win/Win.

They removed something, not changed it to something new. That's kind of what people are objecting to.

Edited by Greyboots, 05 June 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#4 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

Now I have one list, sorted alphabetically. I dont' have to scroll, I just expand the chassis that I want, and select the variant. It's quicker than the old grid, despite the extra click.

Yes, it can be improved a little. For example, it should be on the left of the screen, like the rest of the Mech Lab. There should be a few more sort options, for those who want them. Maybe and 'owned' vs 'purchasable' tickbox, too.

And the rest of the Mech Lab needs heaps of work. Especially the font size, all caps, and kerning.

But overall I find the new Mech Selection approach better than the old. Just putting it out there.

I fully agree.

View PostValdherre Tor, on 05 June 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

[redacted]

You just deleted yourself. Reported.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 05 June 2015 - 03:51 PM.
Unconstructive quote

#5 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:42 AM

I generally like the new system better. More organized.

I'm not sure I understand what seems to be the primary gripe about it being more difficult to find "ready" mechs. What does that even mean? Mechs that are built- modules and cockpit items fitted- and not currently stuck in match limbo? How many mechs, seriously, can any one person have not "ready" at any given time? Matches don't run very long, and unless you're finding yourself dead at the outset of a match, it's unlikely you'd be able to run through a second match and land back at the mechlab before your first mech was returned to you. I guess I don't get the complaint.

What I DO miss about the old view was more of a tuning issue... the mech selection window was simply larger and less cluttered by menu-related information. You simply had more mechs displayed at any given time (even though the way they were displayed was more cluttered), and I'd like to see the new system tuned more that way. If they could make the window bigger - much bigger - and allow me to properly set a default view for which mechs are displayed, I'd be happy.

I want to see my owned mechs, both IS and Clan, displayed by weight class (IS and Clan seperated), with all mechs displayed by default.

#6 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 05 June 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

I want to see my owned mechs, both IS and Clan, displayed by weight class (IS and Clan seperated), with all mechs displayed by default.

Like this maybe?

Posted Image

Edited by masCh, 05 June 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#7 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

It took me maybe 20 minutes to find my GUI legs... I'm perfectly fine with the new iteration as well. ;)

#8 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostMerryIguana, on 05 June 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Pgi should bring back the ready list from 1.5. Mechs flagged ready would use the grid view. Thats really my only complaint besides scaling issues.

I agree with thos two!

Edited by Nightmare1, 05 June 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#9 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostmasCh, on 05 June 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

Like this maybe?

More or less, but much larger window, obviously... nearly 1/3 of the screen is available on the right side, and a chunk of real-estate is taken up by that sub-menu for mech categories. They could easily get 6-8 mechs across in that menu style. Also, I'd prefer that my mechs be seperated by clan/IS in individual categories, but have both displayed at the same time if I choose. Didn't the PTS version of this menu allow you to select BOTH IS and Clan? The current one is set for OR.

#10 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Once I found out where everything was I am happy with the new system. But to be fair I am not fussy at all so I am too easy to please maybe. The "smurfy" style mechlab is great and being able to see the quirks while you are building the mech is nice and seeing which quirks are affecting a weapon by hovering on it is a nice touch imo. Finding mechs in a drop down menu doesn't seem all that complicated to me, but I understand where a highly visual person would prefer the old mech grid. And the font could certainly be larger. Anyway, I still get to shoot stomps mechs so I am happy.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

took......5 minutes to figure it out?

Sure, could use tweaks, would not have been averse to having a toggle between list and tile view. But I find list much faster, TBH.

Really my only knock, is on my Clan Acct, I own no IS MEchs (aside my Wang) and I do wish it would remember my preferences, so I didn't always have to switch to clan mechs, when I have no IS ones in the first place. Little things like that would be nice, but hardly worth all the whimpering and crying going on.

Oh, and I do get the complaint for the low res guys, even if there is a point where we all have to update our legacy equipment. (I had to build a whole new computer just to play the game, at all.)

#12 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 05 June 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

More or less, but much larger window, obviously... nearly 1/3 of the screen is available on the right side, and a chunk of real-estate is taken up by that sub-menu for mech categories.

You're right, I played with the idea but I didn't optimize the real estate.

#13 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

I like it.
Just need a mech quirk/specs with mouse over in the mech select screen.

#14 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:19 AM

Like this maybe?

Posted Image

I think you just won something for beating the Mechlab forum whine contest.
GG

#15 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

You are never going to make everyone happy. This is why you never get rid of your old menu. You add another with the option of using what you like more.

#16 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostThe Ripper13, on 05 June 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

I think you just won something for beating the Mechlab forum whine contest.
GG

Cheers, I also meant to write "Owned" instead of "All". And hope InnerSphere/Clan is preselected based on Faction the player is pledged to, to minimize clicks. Also if a new player without any Owned mechs then Trial Mechs would be preselected.

#17 AMARDA1

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

Like this maybe?

Posted Image

I want the old menu, with ability to filter by weight class alone.I don't want to have to open up a ton of menus and drop down boxes just to grab a new mech.

#18 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

Just make it fullscreen and I'll be complacent.

View PostValdherre Tor, on 05 June 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

please delete this thread, unistall your game and or kill yourself. you didn't have to scroll through pages of that gind, you chose to scroll through pages of that grind because it was easier. If you can recall on the old mech select screen in the top left corner there was a tab that you could filter mechs by ones owned and filter them buy weight class, also they were in alphabetical order. What we have now is worse.

I'm at a loss for words.

#19 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

troll thread

j/k

View PostBurktross, on 05 June 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

I'm at a loss for words.

I wasnt, I just said them after I hit report

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Finding a mech in a bay full of 140+, this is so much faster and easier to sort through its ridiculous. Also no hiccups anywhere else in the main window where it used to be constantly laggy and slow to respond.

My one and only complaint about it is that when you click modules it moves the box to the center of the screen instead of keeping it where it was at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users