Three Of The Most Important Skills No One Brags About.

32 replies to this topic

#21 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

This should be incorporated into whatever New Player guides they come up with. Good work

#22 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

this should be stickied as well as incorporated into the 'tips ticker' before the start of every drop.....great post Fox!

#23 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:29 AM

Most people also forget how hard it is to pilot a mech effectively.

For example one is good at Assaults. Others dont. One is good at mediums while he's bad at Assaults.

That kind of thing.

Edited by Sarlic, 05 July 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#24 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:48 AM

the most important skills it's a ) situational awareness; b ) aiming
some builds (lrms, ssrms) need only the first of these two (but they usually need it more than other builds)

upd

and of course torso twisting

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 05 July 2015 - 01:54 AM.

#25 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

situational awareness (SA) and forethought (FT) go hand in hand. I surmise that Inference (IN) is the dividend of Patience (PA) and Situational awareness and forethought.

maybe the equation would look like this: (SA+FT)/PA=INF

INF should be a clue as what to do in any circumstance or instance given the variables of a situation. I suppose that would go for MWO as well as real life........good post this is!

#26 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

I think we all have seen this at least once.
The scout gets himself dangerously close to the enemy lines, pops a uva, and 3 ad 1/2 half gauss plus a couple of lasers are waiting for the clueless red sqare to run arround the corner into it's demise...

...but, noes. thankfully, mr. random just had to fire a couple or long range missiles from the very maximum range (that's what he paid the module for, duuh) just to let said lurms go into nowhere 7 seconds after the lock broke. Well well, doesn't matter much, thanks to mr. random having about 18 and 1/2 ton of lrm anyways.

conclusion, situational awareness.. always helps.

#27 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

Disagree with "Patiens". "Patient" pilot does not have to be passive pilot. Take "patient" state only to cooldow purposes or to be NARCed. At other cases you need shoot shoot and shoot. When you are not shooting - you are burden of your team. This game bases only on team coordination. When team does not shoot and members leave positions - loose, when someone does not watch flanks and backs - loose.When someone stand and wait for other strip armor for Himself King Majesty - loose. Be active, ageressive, and instinctive. But never patient and waiting when other give you the victory.
Only mean for patience - does not break front line and does not go solo charging. Always watch for tactical map with one eye.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 05 July 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#28 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:33 AM

TLDR - Situational awareness.

Good guide.

#29 FaT4Li7y

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 05 July 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

Disagree with "Patiens". "Patient" pilot does not have to be passive pilot. Take "patient" state only to cooldow purposes or to be NARCed. At other cases you need shoot shoot and shoot. When you are not shooting - you are burden of your team. This game bases only on team coordination. When team does not shoot and members leave positions - loose, when someone does not watch flanks and backs - loose.When someone stand and wait for other strip armor for Himself King Majesty - loose. Be active, ageressive, and instinctive. But never patient and waiting when other give you the victory.
Only mean for patience - does not break front line and does not go solo charging. Always watch for tactical map with one eye.

You seem to mix up "patience" with "timidity".
Does that "Timidity is not a tactic" thread still exist?
I think clue is to know when to be aggressive and when to be patient because you are at a disadvantage...

#30 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

Patience should not be confused with inactivity or passivity. If you know where the enemy is and you resist the urge to plunge headlong into their firing so that you can instead move to a better position to return fire, you are being patient.

Patience is also being able to endure the 4MG spider that is on your six long enough to move into view of teammates before trying to return fire.

It isn't shying from battle, it's resisting impulse to make better decisions.

#31 Eridu

Rookie

• Shredder
  • 5 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPacificNW

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

I played MW about 20 years ago on windows 95/98 (yes I am old) and about every few years I get the itch to play video games. A few weeks ago I went looking for the current version of MW and found this. I get killed a lot a most of the time it is for the reasons outlined here. Started off with BJs then went to Spiders. After piloting a spider for a while I found I was MUCH better in a BJ. Patience (in the right amount), anticipation, and protecting yourself though not as much fun do work. That said I do still find myself rushing, getting whacked, and going to the fridge to get a snack.

Also just an aside but very nice community with very few jerks. Also some folks need to realize you actually need to put a few dollars into the game every so often to keep it going. I'm not saying you need to go out and buy a $200 package, but they do have to pay the bills an spending a few dollars helps keep the game alive.

#32 Skave

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:35 AM

Good advice,

I will just add one more "No guts, no galaxy"

Don't forget to be aggressive when time rise.

#33 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:00 AM

firing solution, environmental awareness (knowing your map) and equipment awareness (knowing how to use what you got)

its not about dieing, Its about wining... you can win and still be dead... making a early move that makes 6 other units of the red team do something stupid, Is a good tactic.... Ive completely blown peoples minds away with wins that should have not been possible because of the firing solution.. believe it or not... being at the bottom of the hill is sometimes better then being on top

and i think something that is the most important part of any battletech, mechwarrior game.. Being able to look at your hostile target and calculating all possible load out configuration then systematically focus firing targets in order of whos going to be able to do more damage vs whos going to be able to take most damage

understanding the weight war, knowing where to be in respective to where the hostile teams weight is...(that comes with assumption of loadout) because when you start making crazy loadouts, you change this variable considerable

"information is ammunition "

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users