Started Playing Wows... A Few Things To Think About...

84 replies to this topic

#21 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 July 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Even for a game where the combatants do not get close as much, Warships has collision. PGI pls. <_<

Hey guess what.

Apparently people are going full speed into the edge of the map and then it allows them to turn left or right basically full speed ie bouncing off, in order to avoid torpedoes.

Nice invisible water wall collision.

I watched the game for an hour and I was really starting to question why I even play MWO.

Watching that was boring as ****. I mean, holy ****, boring. What the hell. Is MWO this boring to watch? Omg. Take a ******* nap before the action starts, seriously...

PS - I also saw a dude run full speed into a beach and bounce off it and that was totally legit and normal and realistic right. That makes sense. gg world of warships collision

PPS - the drift is real

Edited by Soy, 04 July 2015 - 06:13 AM.

#22 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:13 AM

View PostSoy, on 04 July 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

Hey guess what.

Apparently people are going full speed into the edge of the map and then it allows them to turn left or right basically full speed ie bouncing off, in order to avoid torpedoes.

Nice invisible water wall collision.

I watched the game for an hour and I was really starting to question why I even play MWO.

Watching that was boring as ****. I mean, holy ****, boring. What the hell.

PS - I also saw a dude run full speed into a beach and bounce off it and that was totally legit and normal and realistic right. That makes sense. gg world of warships collision

Well, it is a beta and changing at a high rate (last I heard, running into islands grounds you and seriously damages you.) And let us remember the nonsense we went through in Open Beta with MWO. Remember having the HUD disappear and then hoping you shoot the right people? That was equally gg and professional...

That being said, I'm NOT trying to start a war about which game is better, since they don't directly appeal to the exact same audience and one of them is in more of a beta state than the other.

I am, however, raising some valid concerns about MWO - they shouldn't even be missing key features that a beta game has at this point, IMHO, particularly if they want to go to Steam. Other people will be making similar comparisons and wondering why a game that's been out 2 years at that point is missing basic things that a rival's beta already has.

Edited by oldradagast, 04 July 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#23 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 04 July 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

Well, it is a beta - lest we remember the nonsense we went through in Open Beta with MWO. Remember having the HUD disappear and then hoping you shoot the right people? That was equally gg and professional...

That being said, I'm NOT trying to start a war about which game is better, since they don't directly appeal to the exact same audience and one of them is in more of a beta state than the other.

I am, however, raising some valid concerns about MWO - they shouldn't even be missing key features that a beta game has at this point, IMHO.

Cmon dude beta or not, people are literally drifting with warships lmao. Is this meant to be a NFS Underground title but with boats?

Edited by Spr1ggan, 04 July 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#24 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 04 July 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

Well, it is a beta and changing at a high rate (last I heard, running into islands grounds you and seriously damages you.) And let us remember the nonsense we went through in Open Beta with MWO. Remember having the HUD disappear and then hoping you shoot the right people? That was equally gg and professional...

I am, however, raising some valid concerns about MWO - they shouldn't even be missing key features that a beta game has at this point, IMHO, particularly if they want to go to Steam. Other people will be making similar comparisons and wondering why a game that's been out 2 years at that point is missing basic things that a rival's beta already has.

The game looks intriguing to me as well, yes. I admit this!

But harken--!

I also think this **** looks incredibly boring and question whether or not what I'm doing is not actually that fun at all. MWO is basically a cowardly camper FPS. Why would I pick up another one if I accept that?

Now don't get me wrong. I play Total Wars and upload other crap like that and obviously there's vast swathes of 'thinking' downtime. Right?

But when I wanna play an FPS I want action. I dunno if I really want a thinking man's shooting. I like to think, but good grief, I want action. I wanna run around not sit behind a rock. So I don't. But damn man it's kinda one dimensional, this whole thing, in the greater scheme. Where's the depth in this game style.

Just talking out loud. I may try it out, I dunno. Most likely not though, since the whole 'tier' thing is an extreme *****-reducing turnoff.

PPS - Like in other words, Battlefield games brought more variables to FPS than these games did, 10 years ago. In fact, these games isolated just the tank, and said ok, Tankfield. That's our game. And this is where a lot of these f2p FPS are at right now, a one dimensional thing with minimal variables but enough customization to carrot stick you.

Edited by Soy, 04 July 2015 - 06:22 AM.

#25 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 04 July 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

Cmon dude beta or not, people are literally drifting with warships lmao. Is this meant to be a NFS Underground title but with boats?

If you're going to bash a beta for not yet having realistic physics fully in place (and have you even played WoWS recently?), then I assume you're going to bash the currently released MWO game for having mechs teleport through each other upon collision. Because that's also realistic? Lmao.

If you compared WoWS in its current Open Beta State vs. MWO in its Open Beta state, MWO would NOT have come out the winner of that fight. Give WoWS 1.5 years and we'll talk... and MWO probably still won't have: useful tutorials, player locations on the maps, any real lore or flavor, decent optimization, and heaven only knows what else. But it will have lots more mech packs... including the IIC mechs, which I shudder to consider how they'll balance when the current game's balance is teetering on a knife's edge.

Edited by oldradagast, 04 July 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#26 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:25 AM

View PostSoy, on 04 July 2015 - 06:18 AM, said:

Just talking out loud. I may try it out, I dunno. Most likely not though, since the whole 'tier' thing is an extreme *****-reducing turnoff.

Part of the appeal of WoWS I fully admit is liking naval ships, just as part of the appeal of MWO is liking big, killer robots. To those outside such groups, each game is less appealing.

WoWS does have more long-range action than MWO - it's not as "brawly" - but you can still get close range action, at least from the viewpoint of what "close" would be in naval combat. I've only been playing the tutorials so far - again, this is not about "which game is better" - but you do have to keep moving in WoWS, even more so than in MWO, so there does reduce some camping. Now, I don't know - maybe at higher levels everyone hides behind rocks motionless in WoWS just like MWO, but I'm not there yet.

As for tiers, WoWS doesn't use a skill-based matchmaker, so they need to find some way to reduce the odds of new players face-checking masters, so that's how they do it since a "noob" simply can't have a tier 10 ship.

#27 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 04 July 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

If you're going to bash a beta for not yet having realistic physics fully in place (and have you even played WoWS recently?), then I assume you're going to bash the currently released MWO game for having mechs teleport through each other upon collision. Because that's also realistic? Lmao.

If you compared WoWS in its current Open Beta State vs. MWO in its Open Beta state, MWO would NOT have come out the winner of that fight. Give WoWS 1.5 years and we'll talk... and MWO probably still won't have: useful tutorials, player locations on the maps, any real lore or flavor, decent optimization, and heaven only knows what else. But it will have lots more mech packs... including the IIC mechs, which I shudder to consider how they'll balance when the current game's balance is teetering on a knife's edge.

I've bashed MWO for that in the past till there was no more point. Doesn't seem like it will ever be fixed.

#28 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Another thing: The grind for new players

I've literally been playing WoWS for 1 day and have almost enough XP and in game money to buy a tier 2 ship for both nations currently in the game. Now, admittedly, I haven't upgraded anything yet and the grind gets progressively more difficult the higher in tiers you go, but here's the thing: the sense of accomplishment and making it "my account." A new player can quickly get out of their tier 1 "rusty bucket" and start shopping... which then encourages them to buy more ports (read: mech bays) and thus spend real-world money.

Compare to MWO, where a new player when the cadet bonus ends has enough to buy 1 mech... and then will face-check the grind immediately against "higher tier" mechs (fully leveled, fully optimized) and realize he needs 2 more mechs to level the first 1 fully... risking an early loss of interest.

Again, this is not about which game is "better," but rather a comparison coming from a person who, up until now, basically only played MWO as his online game. It's been eye-opening seeing how other companies approach things, and I seriously hope PGI takes better now of how their competition is approaching various aspects of online gaming.

#29 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

World of WarShips? isnt that by wargaming.net?
the makers of World of Tanks, and World of WarPlanes?

i think they have enough Practice in MMOs to make a Decent one Quickly,
how much Experience in MMOs did Piranha have before MWO?

#30 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

Playing WoWS right now, climbing up the ranks, got a few premiums too, including the Atago heavy cruiser and the HMS Warspite. The Atago is truly a worthy ship that brings honor to the Emperor.

The rendering of those ships are among the most complex I have ever seen. The American flag waves with the wind, the radar turns, each turret, each gun turns individually, each torpedo tube set turns individually, you see lifeboats, lifesavers, tiny port holes and windows in the ships. Heck even the rust in the hulls and the weld markings on the turrets.

To see the ship's catapult turn around, then launch your floatplane spotter, dang!

Many many Kancolle fans in the game, doing the same thing as Girls und Panzer did to WoT and War Thunder GF. You have to understand that some of the things in the chat like "Poi!" or "Panpakapan!" have something to do with Kancolle.

Massive HP, huge, huge maps, very rare stomps in the game, and I find many games hitting their time limits or even forcing draws.

Sometimes I think there are way too many islands, and more AA is needed in the ships to counter waves of carrier planes. Too much political correctness? Only fly the present Japanese flag with the meatball instead of the Imperial flag of the Rising Sun?

I am getting very good ping off the WOWS OBT server, just over a 100ms. In MWO I struggle with over 217ms.

Game really depends on your aiming and gunnery skills. Unlike tanks, ships are constantly moving, similar to planes, and you are going to have to lead your target. Since the shells have to fly across over 10km away, you also have to take account of their arcs. Ship speeds, turret transverse rates, rate of fire, gun muzzle velocities, are based on historical data and are unique to each ship, class and nation. For example the Japanese heavy cruisers have slower turret transverse rates than US heavy cruisers, but their shells have higher muzzle velocities, resulting in lower, flatter arcs that reach the target sooner. If you remember that "Battleship" game, there is more truth to that since there is going to be a lot of trial and error and adjustment with each salvo.

I need to gain the ships I got back from CBT, including the Kongo, the Fuso, the Aoba and the Myoko. Banzai! Banzai!

Edited by Anjian, 04 July 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#31 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

Wow! when I read you first few lines I went and logged in to WOW forum

The game is 64bit but I have a 32bit windows 7 so I will have to figure out what to do

Too bad they did not send out an e-mail notification to the people that applied to closed beta oh well

Quick question how do you like wow?

Task Force 1942 is my favorite game of all time
So I really want to try this game

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

I got a phone app Warship game that does that, lol.

#33 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 04 July 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

World of WarShips? isnt that by wargaming.net?
the makers of World of Tanks, and World of WarPlanes?

i think they have enough Practice in MMOs to make a Decent one Quickly,

Traditionally Wargaming did turn based and real time strategy games first. Hence the name. They made a game similar to Relic's Company of Heroes but had a greater scale. World of Tanks was in fact, their first MMO. World of Warplanes wasn't that successful, got kicked in the curb by War Thunder, which itself was Gaijin's first MMO. Previously Gaijin was doing fantasy games and flight sim games like the last version of IL2 Sturmovik.

One thing for sure though is that Wargaming has plenty of money to polish their games. Not to mention reviving old franchises, like the Master of Orion which brings them back to their 'wargaming' roots. I respect the fact that PGI is doing their best with the much more limited financial resources they have.

Edited by Anjian, 04 July 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#34 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 July 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

I played in Closed Beta as a high pinger. The old collision mechanic did not bother me. As for the Oceanics, they are getting their own server, anyway.

50% chance to get oceanic server.
The other 50% chance is Asian server. which is for people like me; who live in New Zealand or South Eastern Australia. There is no difference between having the Asian server or US server besides possible 3 ping difference.

The server has 2 likely locaitons, Australia (yay for me!) or Singapore which is more likely (welp... guess i'm sticking to US server).

Practically we need to have a west russian server instead of a european server and have the "oceanic " server in Aussie. This will at least have the most ballance spread of pings of about 170 being the max average instead of 250.

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 04 July 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

Getting sued for making Mechwarrior 5.

#35 Shatara

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

I know, it's like...
Posted Image
...totally unrealistic...
Posted Image
...that ships can like turn and stuff.

#36 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostShatara, on 04 July 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

I know, it's like...
Posted Image
...totally unrealistic...
Posted Image
...that ships can like turn and stuff.

Dude just go and watch gameplay streams, you obviously dunno what i'm talking about or you're a butthurt fanboi. Just answer me this. In reality can you take a ship at full speed towards an island then just when it's a couple of meters away from hitting, go full swerve and drift round the island?

Also love that you post pics of modern ships when i was criticizing game about WW2 ships. You're ******* autistic.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 05 July 2015 - 03:39 AM.

#37 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 July 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

So, World of Warships entered open Beta this week. While for many on this forum, battlemechs were the giant war machines that they were into while young, for me it was naval warships, particularly those of WW2. Not that I don't like battlmechs, of course, but you get the idea.

This thread isn't meant as a comparison between the two game companies, player base, or so forth, nor do I mean it to bash PGI, but a few things became painfully apparent when I started playing an Open Beta of this competitor's online game.

1) Performance: My machine is decent for gaming, though it is 2.5 years old. And yet, I can run WoWS - in Open Beta - at nearly the highest settings across the board and still get 50+ to 60+ frames per second. Meanwhile, my same machine with nearly everything set to the lowest settings is only pulling a bit over 40 fps - sometimes worse - in MWO.

There's probably a pile of technical reasons, though I'm left to wonder how many of them are truly insurmountable... Clearly, it's not that my machine is "potato" that can't run the latest games. No - the problem is in MWO.

2) Flavor for your universe: When I hover over a ship in WoWS while in port on in the tech tree, it gives me a nice little historical summary of the vessel and its class. Why can't we have that in MWO for the mechs? The information is available, and Battletech has many years of lore behind it. It would do something to add some character and depth to the mechs and make them more than just a pile of hardpoints and hitboxes that people complain about.

3) Where am I? When you start on a map in WoWS, your location and that of your team is clearly shown. Meanwhile, in MWO, we get nothing but the map itself. It makes it hard to plan strategies when you have no clue where you are until the match begins.

I'm sure other things will come to mind, but I couldn't help but notice these things... particularly in a game that's in Open Beta vs. a game that has technically been released for 1.5 years.

Iam playing wows too. I have noticed it too that a game which came out of Alpha is appearently running better and is kinda better optiized than mwo. I prefer wows over mwo currently

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 05 July 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#38 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

Oh and the Matchmaker seems superior to mwo MM

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 05 July 2015 - 04:16 AM.

#39 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

Here's my summary of WOWS.

Before I start.

To those unfamiliar with the game series I need to mention one thing that will make everything clearer immediately. World of Warships was designed by the same people as World of Tanks.

There's no shell drop in WOT. A tank game without shell drop. A TANK game with zero ballistics. You put crosshair on enemy tank and click button no matter what distance.

Now onto my "review".

It caters to the lowest common denominator like WOT. The game has no depth, no realism, no learning curve. I played it for a full 2 days before it got extremely monotonous and boring.

Its a point and shoot game like WOT, the only difference being you have to lead targets and even this becomes laughably easy after a few minutes of play. There's literally no difficulty in hitting a ship 10km away going at full speed.

The grind is exactly the same as in WOT, here grind this ship, then grind the modules so you can progress to the next. Rinse and repeat with the next ship. This is how you progress n this game.

MWO compared to this game is a freaking simulator, if we compare the depth and learning curve of these two games WOWS is laughable. Its literally devised to be played by people who can't muster more then pointing and clicking and who get satisfaction out of grinding. Its a completionist grindfest.

Now I'll admit it is satisfying to sink an enemy ship it just stops being so after a couple of hours of play. Sure there's positioning and tactics, but same can be said for any similar game. Not an element that honestly adds any depth. "Being the the right place in the right time" is key to pretty much ANY mmo, whether rpg or otherwise, so it can hardly count towards complexity in this game like some people try to point out.

If you look for a simple, no brainger, join, shoot some ships for a few mins, surefire-grind-progression game its brilliant. If you look for skill based, loadout based, deep strategy and tactics game this is not it.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 05 July 2015 - 04:33 AM.

#40 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostGrisbane, on 05 July 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

WoT's optimization is actually worse than MWO. you have to remember WoT was built on an engine that was already outdated before the game was made. the bigworld engine is rnning at it's max under WoT and it is by far more stressful on the CPU than MWO. MWO at least has multi-core. WoT doesn't, if your machine has less than 2.4 g a core you can't run the game on a playable level hardly at all. put it this way, i can play MWO on decent framerates of 50-60, i can run WoT (because of it's lower req's) at 138 fps... for 15 seconds.. then 10 fps for a minute while my laptop tries to cool the overheating cpu down from over-taxing a core. i can only sustain 35 fps on WoT using nvidia inspector to hard cap the framerates, which in turn not only reduces the load on gpu, but cpu as well. i have a lenovo y50-70 with the i-5 and a nvidia 860m, not a top end machine. but a gaming laptop none-the-less.

if by a couple of meters you mean 200-300.. because you are forgetting scale here.. some can, especially frigates and mine-sweepers.

i know what you are talking about, i play the game.. and you are full of bs. "drifting" like that is impossible within the game. what are you are seeing is results of constant camera change, usually between gun targeting and driving. in reality, those ships that were "only a few meters away" most likely noted the distance before going to gun view and had probably already started to turn while they were aiming.. but you couldn't tell because you can't see their ship when they are looking down the gun-sights, you only see them "magically turning" when they pop out.

also hilarious fun fact.. that carrier is the USS Nimitz, built in 1968.. so 60's tech.. is also ONE OF THE LARGEST WARSHIPS ON THE PLANET... EVER... if an 1100 ft long carrier carrying as much payload as that thing is can do that.. with 60's tech... think what a 300 ft long destroyer.. or 400 ft cruiser could do.

Built in the 60's means it's still superior to WW2 ships. Call bs or whatever else you like. Watched streams yesterday people were drifting, not turning but ******* drifting like it was a car. The speed and turn rate of the ships is silly end of.

Not that any of this matters, i can just sit here laughing while posting cos it irritates you so much. I mean shouldn't you be out somewhere with a rain coat and your trousers up to your armpits shipwatching or building gay models of them.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 05 July 2015 - 04:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users