Started Playing Wows... A Few Things To Think About...

84 replies to this topic

#41 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 05 July 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Here's my summary of WOWS.

It caters to the lowest common denominator like WOT. The game has no depth, no realism, no learning curve. I played it for a full 2 days before it got extremely monotonous and boring.

Its a point and shoot game like WOT, the only difference being you have to lead targets and even this becomes laughably easy after a few minutes of play. There's literally no difficulty in hitting a ship 10km away going at full speed.

With all due respect - again, for the nth time - this is not a thread to bash either game or its players.

The point of this thread was to raise a red flag that PGI needs to step up its game. If an open Beta can clean MWO's clock in certain key areas 1.5 years after MWO is "released," then there is going to be hell to pay when MWO goes on Steam. If I can notice the difference - and I don't review games for a living - think of what the people who DO review games are going to say.

Also, with regard to you mocking a game that simply involves "moving and leading your targets," you do realize that a frightening percentage of combat in MWO consists of barely moving at all and shooting targets with guided weapons, hitscan weapons (laser-vomit), or Gauss, which require nearly no leading at all, right? So, tell me again where all that "thinking man's shooter" stuff went? Ugh... also, WoWS employs a cone of fire effect, so hitting a target consistently at those ranges you suggest is NOT easy, unless you count dinging them with 1 shot out of 8 or more "hitting."

Edited by oldradagast, 05 July 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#42 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:35 AM

I used it to bash WOWs because I think the game is laughable. And to be honest I never thought MWO is deep either. Its a glorified FPS with weapon loadouts and "turret" like aiming. That being said it still blows WOWs out of the water in terms of complexity.

#43 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 05 July 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

Built in the 60's means it's still superior to WW2 ships. Call bs or whatever else you like. Watched streams yesterday people were drifting, not turning but ******* drifting like it was a car. The speed and turn rate of the ships is silly end of.

Point to consider: they've sped game play up when compared to real warships since if they didn't it would be mind-numbingly boring since - in reality - most combat is 95% boredom and 5% sheer terror.

Ironically, this is what they did in MWO, too. In tabletop guns were supposed to fire once a minute or something, vs. every 1 to 5 seconds. Also, mechs in MWO are more agile than they were in tabletop if you again consider movement rates, time per round, etc.

#44 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:39 AM

AS for PGI stepping its game up. I think its clear now after years what their modus operandi is. They make the game barely viable so it turns a profit, they are slow, they are technically incapable, they make very bad decisions and seem to lack common sense.

I hardly doubt one post will change that, we've had people pleading with them for years, YEARS and they've done nothing.

And honestly I think WOWS is a bad example of a good game by far. Its as bare bones as it gets (yes its in the beta).

Edited by Louis Brofist, 05 July 2015 - 04:40 AM.

#45 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:39 AM

It would be nice to have some in game lore attached to the mech chassis. Hero mechs as well could certainly benefit from this.

#46 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:41 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 05 July 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

I used it to bash WOWs because I think the game is laughable. And to be honest I never thought MWO is deep either. Its a glorified FPS with weapon loadouts and "turret" like aiming. That being said it still blows WOWs out of the water in terms of complexity.

And if people played games based solely on "complexity," that would be fine. Unfortunately, they also play them based on things like performance, new player experience, if they can progress in the grind at a useful rate, etc. All areas in which MWO is failing to an flippin' open beta. Heck, WoWS even has enough spine to show the number of players online... where did that player counter MWO had go again? Oh, yeah... that's right...

View PostLouis Brofist, on 05 July 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

And honestly I think WOWS is a bad example of a good game by far. Its as bare bones as it gets (yes its in the beta).

It's also in Open Beta. Remember how bare bones this game was back then? And yet they still took the time to do things that we haven't seen done yet in MWO, which is my point, not "which game is better."

Edited by oldradagast, 05 July 2015 - 04:41 AM.

#47 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:43 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 05 July 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Unfortunately, they also play them based on things like performance, new player experience, if they can progress in the grind at a useful rate, etc. All areas in which MWO is failing to an flippin' open beta.

Ok maybe I should have used different terminology here. The main thing, literally the main thing in any MMO is gameplay, if a game is not fun, things like new player experience, performance and grind progression become completely irrelevant. They are secondary in nature and in my not so humble opinion the gameplay in WOWS is repetitive and boring. New player experience is good precisely because the game is simple, but that kills it on the other end which is longevity. Why should I stick around with this game if I get the same thing over and over? A game needs depth to keep people interested.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 05 July 2015 - 04:44 AM.

#48 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 05 July 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

Ok maybe I should have used different terminology here. The main thing, literally the main thing in any MMO is gameplay, if a game is not fun, things like new player experience, performance and grind progression become completely irrelevant. They are secondary in nature and in my not so humble opinion the gameplay in WOWS is repetitive and boring. New player experience is good precisely because the game is simple, but that kills it on the other end which is longevity. Why should I stick around with this game if I get the same thing over and over? A game needs depth to keep people interested.

I agree - to each their own. For example, while DOTA 2 is very popular, I found the gameplay chaotic and frustrating, but other people like it. No doubt some folks will love MWO and hate WoWS, or vise versa - or like or hate both.

My post was only meant to raise the question "why can't we have these things?" if an Open Beta has them? PGI wants to release the game on Steam late this year, so it's valid question, IMHO.

#49 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

Pun intended? :P

#50 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

View PostFupDup, on 05 July 2015 - 05:18 AM, said:

Pun intended? :P

Yes, there's another in there too :D.

View Postoldradagast, on 05 July 2015 - 04:58 AM, said:

My post was only meant to raise the question "why can't we have these things?" if an Open Beta has them? PGI wants to release the game on Steam late this year, so it's valid question, IMHO.

I agree completely. I was harsh because I had high hopes of wows, I'm frustrated becasue keep getting disappointed by new MMOs, but I think at this point its just me, my tastes see to be pretty marginal.

#51 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

Speaking of alternatives to MWO, I recently took up Robocraft.

It's super fun actually, it looks more arcadey and cartoonish than MWO but it has a much more complex metagame, more strategy and higher TTK.

So now I play MWO for that immersive dark sci-fi feeling, and for the BT nostalgia, and Robocraft when I want to think a bit harder about what I do.

#52 JustEvil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:40 AM

@UP

I have to agree. Robocraft is so awesome that I can't believe that those are just damn bricks rolling and shooting each other.

Edited by JustEvil, 05 July 2015 - 06:51 AM.

#53 SpectreHD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 04 July 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

While there may be technical reasons for the lower FPS performance, still...

WoWS has islands, moving clouds, etc. It has planes, so there's elevation difference, and it has to handle shots hitting terrain at different elevations. It's not like the whole thing is a big, flat, empty ocean. I get that MWO has more draw calls, but there still seems to be questionable optimization when the same machine can run WoWS at max settings with upper 50's to over 60 FPS while being stuck running MWO on nearly all bottom settings and still never even reaching 50 fps and sometimes falling under 40.

Perhaps somebody in World of Tanks, which has similar terrain complexity, can compare it's optimization to MWO on the same computer?

Currently, WoT is very very poorly optimised. I have an Asus G73 that is almost 5 years old and I have to turn everything down to their minimum settings. I keep texture resolution at maximum and extra effects quality to high so to keep my tanks looking awesome at least and explosions looking good. With this, I run WoT at 35-50fps at 1080p. Averages mostly at around 40. Supposedly the upcoming 9.9 update would improve performance noticeably.

For MWO, settings are mostly medium to some at max. Runs for the slightly lower fps than WoT but looks way better.

WoWS do run a lot better than WoT because it is running on a more up to date Bigworld engine.

View PostLouis Brofist, on 05 July 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Here's my summary of WOWS.

Before I start.

To those unfamiliar with the game series I need to mention one thing that will make everything clearer immediately. World of Warships was designed by the same people as World of Tanks.

There's no shell drop in WOT. A tank game without shell drop. A TANK game with zero ballistics. You put crosshair on enemy tank and click button no matter what distance.

To be fair, WoT does have shell drop. The game just auto adjusts for it. Other than that, agree with what you said about WoWS.

This is true. WoWS was more complex in alpha but a lot of that complexity has been cut out. For example, there used to be two gauges. The HP gauge and buoyancy gauge. If your buoyancy gauge runs out, you sink even if you still have HP. But there is something you can do and that is beach yourself and turn yourself into a fixed gun emplacement.

This feature has been removed. Heck, even WoT is more complex than WoWS.

Then there are the weird gameplay additions. Destroyers can deploy smoke which is pretty much an invisibility cloak that not even a battleship can spot it within 300m. Battleships get "health potions" for a quick replenishment of HP. Cruisers have an ability to increase their ROF or something like that.

But you can't control your secondary weapons, which I find stupid. Navyfield, which is a Korean 2D naval sprite game is more complex than WoWS.

Also, if anyone is a history or military buff, which might be attracted to WoWS, be warned. The devs have taken some really weird balance decisions based on historical facts while ignoring others. I mean, a floatplane version of a P-51 Mustang? Or the middle to late WW2 aircraft carriers using early 1930s planes because of the tiering system. Pre WW2 Japanese battleship outranging the more modern USN battleships because they get a module that increases range but the USN don't even when it is historical fact that the USN battleship have more range.

Really, WoWS is really catered for the lowest denominator. It is fun but it gets old quick. WoT is more complex, MWO is more complex, Navyfield is more complex.

That is not too say it is bad. WoT, MWO, and WoWS do have flaws. But they have good too. But the flaws, especially the historical inaccuracies is enough to turn me off to WoWS. This is coming from someone who was in the WoT closed beta and been playing WoT for 5 years now.

Oh, WoWP was an utter failure and Wargaming has admitted so. That is why they fired or restructured half of the studio responsible for developing WoWS. Gaijin's WarThunder is just a way superiour game. Their WarThunder Ground Forces though is terrible.

#54 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 03 July 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

And movement calls. Elevation changes, acceleration/deceleration changes, weapon impacts on different levels of terrain, not to mention updating every single component of a mechs skeleton... it all has to be fed through the game servers.

While our version of the cryengine is starting to show it's age, it's hard to compare it to most online shooters because there are vastly different design philosophies in all of them. I saw someone on reddit last night lamenting that we weren't running ... source I think? Like titanfall. Most modern shooters are fairly claustrophobic as far as design goes, so that you can achieve a greater level of detail for what IS rendered, right in front of you.

MWO is far more open, as to get the sense of scale required for a BT game, you need to tower over most things, which sucks for rendering efficiency.

We probably would see some performance gains with newer game engines, but it won't be nearly as dramatic as most people think.

Then why does warthunder look 5x as good as MWO, and runs maxxed out on my PC smoothly? It has very detailed maps and destructible terrain, plus collisions, and fully modeled interiors for damage tracking.

PGI is an inept studio, dont make excuses for them.

#55 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 05 July 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

Then why does warthunder look 5x as good as MWO, and runs maxxed out on my PC smoothly? It has very detailed maps and destructible terrain, plus collisions, and fully modeled interiors for damage tracking.

PGI is an inept studio, dont make excuses for them.

I'm not. I play both. They're different games.

Tanks are an order of magnitude less complicated than mechs, and are far less expensive for the game client and servers. How many tanks have 12 weapons? 12 different weapons, like AC's and lasers that fire with dozens of pulses per second, with each pulse needing to be tracked? Or missiles that need to be tracked, and alter their tracking on targets? How many tanks in WT have 5 or 6 weapons all with different mounting and emitting points? How many tank battles have you had in WT with 24 tanks right on top of each other, all firing at the same time?

WT gets away with it's graphical magnificence because it's battles are typically slower affair, and even then there are still hitreg issues with some fast movers at long range, the same as there is in just about every single multiplayer game.

WT does have a great engine though.

The games are different. I'm not making excuses for anyone - Mechs are just expensive to run, and I understand this.

#56 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

I regard WOWS as an arcade game. A little skill with plenty of RNG makes for some decent fun. I'm fond of both MWO and this. Both are comparatively slow shooter-type games. Wows is no simulator, which is why I don't judge it as one. Yes, it's simple and dumbed down, but for some reason, I just find it fun. It's nice to switch games when I start tilting in one.

To be fair, ships were a bit less drifty during closed beta. They changed turning circles, possibly due to torpedo balance issues, leading to the ridonkulous leaning you see today.

#57 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 05 July 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

Built in the 60's means it's still superior to WW2 ships. Call bs or whatever else you like. Watched streams yesterday people were drifting, not turning but ******* drifting like it was a car. The speed and turn rate of the ships is silly end of.

Not that any of this matters, i can just sit here laughing while posting cos it irritates you so much. I mean shouldn't you be out somewhere with a rain coat and your trousers up to your armpits shipwatching or building gay models of them.

You never played it but simply ships in the game feels like they have a lot of momentum in them. Put the battleship in reverse and it will still go forward for some more time before it slows down, then to a stop, and then start very slowly, going reverse. Its going to be particularly painful when you run aground and have to back up your ship. In the meantime, you are easy to target with salvos and torpedos.

There has been some demand to make the ships turn faster or otherwise the torpedos will rule everything.

Edited by Anjian, 05 July 2015 - 10:20 PM.

#58 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

War Thunder is probably a better standard to compare MWO to.

It has the best scaling out of any game I've ever seen. You can turn the graphics up to movie-like settings, but can still greatly reduce the settings to work on low-end machines while still looking "alright."

Also, the physics are far better (read: exists) compared to WOT or WOWS.

Ground Forces involves ballistic physics for all rounds fired, even a .50 cal mounted machine gun. The game also includes armor thickness on vehicles and angle of impact. Sloped armor will deflect rounds and glancing shots will cause negligible damage. Components within a vehicle such as the transmission, ammo, crew members, engine, etc. physically exist and have hitboxes. The environment reacts to tank treads and rounds fired. There is limited destructible terrain. Again, the graphical fidelity scales wonderfully. I can still run it at 60 fps on my potato laptop if I turn the settings down all the way.

#59 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 05 July 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

I'm not. I play both. They're different games.

Tanks are an order of magnitude less complicated than mechs, and are far less expensive for the game client and servers. How many tanks have 12 weapons? 12 different weapons, like AC's and lasers that fire with dozens of pulses per second, with each pulse needing to be tracked? Or missiles that need to be tracked, and alter their tracking on targets? How many tanks in WT have 5 or 6 weapons all with different mounting and emitting points? How many tank battles have you had in WT with 24 tanks right on top of each other, all firing at the same time?

WT gets away with it's graphical magnificence because it's battles are typically slower affair, and even then there are still hitreg issues with some fast movers at long range, the same as there is in just about every single multiplayer game.

WT does have a great engine though.

The games are different. I'm not making excuses for anyone - Mechs are just expensive to run, and I understand this.

Not necessarily true. Rendering a tank or a mech is mostly client based. The work is on the PC. While mechs might be more complicated, the tanks in War Thunder has more complex textures, there are track animations which is very complex, the ground deforms and leaves tracks, and the foilage in the game is much more complex. Plus the maps are much larger and has far more complex geometric features.

There is actually, far more stress on the War Thunder servers. First to start with, in MWO you got 12 players. In War Thunder you got 16 players in one side. That means there are 8 more players in War Thunder for the servers to track. The second is that War Thunder also has numerous AI tanks that are running around. Again, that adds both to the server and graphical load. The third is that there are airplanes flying about. People are piloting planes, strafing and bombing you.

And there is a fourth reason. Every shot in War Thunder has a true ballistic arc. We don't have ballistic arcs in MWO, though we do have LRM flight patterns but even these are not calculationally as complex as ballistic arcs. Projectile and PPC shots in MWO simply go straight, and you only need collision physics. In War Thunder, you have to raise your gun to a higher elevation in order to arc your shot for a longer range. These arcs differ from gun to gun, shell to shell, and the data you need to process this has to be researched from historical archives. The server has to make all these calculations whether its plane or tank. I would say that for WoWs, the volume of ballistic calculations are even more immense, and ditto with torpedoes.

And then there is a fifth reason. In tank games, every hit has to be computed against an angle of approach against the angle of the armor. There are true deflection mechanics based on geometry. In MWO, the truth is, armor does not really exist, all you have is an HP layer that takes damage and subtracts HP no matter what hits it. In a tank, there is still a required determination whether the shot will do damage or deflected away. Again, like the ballistic calculations, the deflection mechanics require considerable amount of math processing. The armor mechanics of a tank in War Thunder is much more complex than a mech. The more angled or sloped the armor, is, the greater its effective thickness, which is different from physical thickness, Every facet of the tank from the top of the turret to the bottom glacis has its unique specific slope and thickness of armor. That goes the same to the sides and the rear of the tank. Even though the front of the tank might be thick, the armor on top of the engine might be thin, for example, enough for a rocket to penetrate it from a attack aircraft. There are also specific spots in the tank that have weaker armor, including the turret ring.

And finally, a sixth reason, one that is unique to War Thunder. Every tank, every plane actually has internal hitboxes, in addition to the outside. The pilot, the loader, the commander, the gunner, the fuel tanks, the engine, the ammo racks, the internal frame... A shell goes through, it fragments into little pieces, and all those little pieces will have to fly off and hit something inside. There is going to be some RNG that is going on, so the fragments might hit the commander, or the loader, or worst, the ammo rack. It hits the engine it starts the fire. It hits the loader, you can't load until someone replaces the loader duties. If it hits the ammo rack, it goes kaboom. This complex damage model however can be a double edged sword if not done right (it has plagued War Thunder for a long time) and can be facepalm moment if you didn't get the results you expect.

The servers on these games are going to be a hell of a lot more powerful, but once again, these games have a much much larger player base, multiples of MWO's. The revenue they obtain are much higher in order to finance these servers.

Edited by Anjian, 05 July 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#60 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:39 PM

WoW may well start with a new player experience, but it took WoT, Two and a half years to get a trundle along the ground shooting at a few targets training experience, on a game that has effectively forward, back, left right turn, turrest traverse and a single weapon to fire.

As mentioned WoW is going to have far less draw calls, and while there are islands is still less stress on your hardware.

One thing Wargamming net have done far better from day one is Garage/Harbour/Hanger.

Also should take in mind when making comparisons with software developers, Eastern European software engineers are expected to do far more for far less wages, in whats been described as Sweatshop conditions that a North American or Western, European, software programmer would find hard to tollerate, and small companies like PGI, can't compete at cost levels, as overheads even in office space are far lower.

Its why many 'cloud' companies are massively reducing staff levels and moving as much as they can to countries like Belaruss, Poland, Solvinia, Russia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users