I7-4790K Or I7-5820K

43 replies to this topic

#1 Better Call Saul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

As per topic, which CPU would you choose?

MWO is the main game I play was wondering what people thought?

#2 MFZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:04 AM

i7-4790K

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

Little point buying into Haswell right now, Skylake will be available very shortly. Wait another month or 2 for those.

#4 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

I had the same choice back in Feb..... I picked the I74790K and it has all worked out. Not sure what the prices are for DDR4 and if they are still high or not, but it was a deciding factor in my choice for sure. I would still take the 4790K or wait for skylake and see what happens with it.

#5 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostBetter Call Saul, on 12 July 2015 - 01:55 AM, said:

The quad core as its cores are faster and I dont expect MW0 to gain anything from having more than 4 cores !
For detail check yourself the following links:
http://cpu.userbench...790K/2579vs2384
http://cpuboss.com/c...l-Core-i7-4790K
http://www.bit-tech....7-5820k-revie/7

#6 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

4790K.

- Costs less
- Same architecture
- Higher stock clock speed
- MWO doesn't benefit much from more cores

The only reason to get a Haswell-E system now is if you plan on putting a Broadwell-E chip in it later. The only reason to have either of those types of systems in the first place is a legitimate use for more cores (I can almost guarantee you are not in this position, you would know already and would not be asking which CPU to get).

#7 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

#8 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

4790K or wait for Skylake.

#9 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

You where born at the wrong time, I'm afraid. :mellow:

Like the guys said: We get Skylake in about two months… They we wait to see what RAM prices do.

See: The new Intel will be able to talk to your choice of DDR3, or DDR4; DDR4 only comes on quad-channel kits just yet, and has meh demand, so the prices hurt and sting. Skylake gets here, demand goes up at all, and for dual-channel kits, then prices go down.

Also: I remember when we got a few mobos that would host ether/ or an AGP or a VL Bus graphics card; These mobos where terrible, and this leads me to fear mobos that might claim to host both DDR3 and/ or DDR4 …

The end result of all this speculation is you might wait a few months, only to find out you should'a built something months ago

LGA 1150 will be deprecated Real Soon Now; LGA 2011-v3 would seem to be slated for production two or three times as long, but will always cost a premium.

Conversely, nothing imuch ever happens in CPUs anymore, where people upgrade within a socket, however many generations of CPU it might cover; Ergo: If you can't wait for things to shake out with Skylake, and Haswell-E is to dear a price, the big LGA 1150 options should last you long enough that you'd want to buy a new mobo (and RAM) when the 479oK finally grows long in the tooth.

#10 Better Call Saul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for all the responses I appreciate it!

Basically I've been waiting a year to see if anything comes from Broadwell and the 980Ti to be released. The 980Ti is out and it looks like Broadwell isn’t worth waiting for.

I could wait for Skylake but as Goose pointed out there are a lot of moving parts and the 4790k is a known quantity with a base clock of 4Ghz which I assume would be best for MWO.

#11 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:14 AM

View PostBetter Call Saul, on 12 July 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

Thanks for all the responses I appreciate it!

Basically I've been waiting a year to see if anything comes from Broadwell and the 980Ti to be released. The 980Ti is out and it looks like Broadwell isn’t worth waiting for.

I could wait for Skylake but as Goose pointed out there are a lot of moving parts and the 4790k is a known quantity with a base clock of 4Ghz which I assume would be best for MWO.

Broadwell launched in June. You'd be looking for a Core i7-5775C. They're not worth it. The extremely tiny added boost from Skylake on top of the extremely tiny added boost from Broadwell might be worth waiting a couple of months instead of getting a Haswell now (I mean, lower power use plus 2-5% more performance...). On the other hand, the boost is insignificant enough that you probably wouldn't notice a difference between the Skylake K-series i7 and the 4790K unless you were really looking for it.

#12 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

Right now, things are looking bad for Skylake. The performance advantage of the 6770k over the 4790k are all but nonexistent, even with full clock and IPC differences

http://hexus.net/tec...hmarks-surface/

paired with the general trend for reduced overclocking with smaller processes that 14nm should hit pretty hard with, I see no reason to expect Skylake to be any kind of a good chip for gaming enthusiasts, at least for awhile (Haswell's situation improved over time, maybe Skylake's will, too).

As it stands right now, I'm probably going to get a 4790k or 5820k myself. I expect to be able to cool either well enough to OC either pretty high, so it's just a decision on whether the cores are warranted for future games or not, and I'm leaning towards the 4790k thus far.

#13 Better Call Saul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:37 AM

yeah I saw those benchmarks and they don't make it look like its worth waiting for Skylake especially with the premium pricing that will be attached to those CPU's!

#14 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostBetter Call Saul, on 15 July 2015 - 01:37 AM, said:

yeah I saw those benchmarks and they don't make it look like its worth waiting for Skylake especially with the premium pricing that will be attached to those CPU's!

The thing with skylake, is the ability to use either DDR3 or 4 (and the prices will fall when it's moved to mainstream)

#15 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:04 AM

The problem I have with the "leaked Skylake benchmarks" is that they show with a dedicated GPU to consistently be 1% slower (within margin of error, so we can consider them as performing the same) than Haswell at the same wattage when we already know that Broadwell performs as well as Haswell does with 20W less power draw. There are essentially 4 possibilities here:

1) Skylake is negative progress from Broadwell
2) The benchmarks are fake
3) Engineers could not find a way to increase IPC any further
4) There is some other limiting factor that we previously did not consider to be a limiting factor for gaming

#16 Wreckless331

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:34 AM

Poo on all of these answers! Go AMD! I haven't come across an Intel machine yet that can outperform mine. My setup was surprisingly cost effective. Here it is:
CPU: AMD FX-9590 Octa-core OC'd @ 6.1GHz with a Corsair H110i GT liquid cooler
MoBo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4
Video card: Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i 1200w
Drives: x2 Samsung 1TB SSD

Runs cool and stable OC'd at 6.1Ghz and maybe cost me $2000 building from the ground up. I'm telling you guys, AMD has gotten scary good.

#17 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

AMD doesn't use DDR4 so I already know you're full of something and it isn't flowers.

We have very well documented the immense disadvantage AMD users have in this game due to the absolutely horrible IPC they have. At 6.1GhZ (which, btw, is considered a "golden" chip amongst the Bulldozer/Piledriver crowd so your results are highly atypical), you probably wouldn't have many issues. Intel users can achieve the same results at lower clocks while using a lot less energy which in turn generates a lot less heat (in fact, I'd like to see a SuperPi time for 1M because I'm pretty sure my old 2600K system at 5GhZ is probably the same or faster than your system).

#18 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

View PostBetter Call Saul, on 12 July 2015 - 01:55 AM, said:

Get the 5820K but when you buy DDR4... get the CL10 2133 Mhz RAM on newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...3-791-_-Product

CAS/CL15 DDR4 is crap.

EDIT: Don't buy AMD ffs.

Edited by SKINLESS, 16 July 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#19 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostWreckless331, on 16 July 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Poo on all of these answers! Go AMD!

Posted Image Annnnnd we have a loser …

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostWreckless331, on 16 July 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Poo on all of these answers! Go AMD! I haven't come across an Intel machine yet that can outperform mine. My setup was surprisingly cost effective. Here it is:
CPU: AMD FX-9590 Octa-core OC'd @ 6.1GHz with a Corsair H110i GT liquid cooler
MoBo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4
Video card: Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i 1200w
Drives: x2 Samsung 1TB SSD

Runs cool and stable OC'd at 6.1Ghz and maybe cost me $2000 building from the ground up. I'm telling you guys, AMD has gotten scary good.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users