43 replies to this topic

#21 Kinski Orlawisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

Wait 3 month till we know what the new CPU can?

#22 Wreckless331

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 16 July 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

AMD doesn't use DDR4 so I already know you're full of something and it isn't flowers.

We have very well documented the immense disadvantage AMD users have in this game due to the absolutely horrible IPC they have. At 6.1GhZ (which, btw, is considered a "golden" chip amongst the Bulldozer/Piledriver crowd so your results are highly atypical), you probably wouldn't have many issues. Intel users can achieve the same results at lower clocks while using a lot less energy which in turn generates a lot less heat (in fact, I'd like to see a SuperPi time for 1M because I'm pretty sure my old 2600K system at 5GhZ is probably the same or faster than your system).

You are right about the DDR4. That's my mistake. It is DDR3 2133. Not DDR4. But as far as a SuperPi, I have never run it. I'm not speaking specifically to CPU processing speed alone when I say that I haven't seen an Intel machine outperform mine. I am speaking specifically about gaming. There is no combo, other than the same CPU with the new R9 Fury X, that will outperform my PC in gaming. I have never seen it. Not even the top of the line Haswell with a Titan. And in the next week or so, that will be even more true because my Fury X is in the mail. If you would like to test this, we can use MWO on maximum settings for a baseline and compare FPS. Try with you new and old systems and I'll run mine. I never quoted this build as heat or power efficient. Frankly, I could care less about power efficiency. I have a 1200w. Not gonna max that out any time soon. Especially considering the CPU only needs may 270w after the OC. My build, as a whole, is guaranteed to outperform your 2600K. And I can pretty much guarantee the CPU alone won't top mine either.

#23 Wreckless331

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostWreckless331, on 16 July 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

You are right about the DDR4. That's my mistake. It is DDR3 2133. Not DDR4. But as far as a SuperPi, I have never run it. I'm not speaking specifically to CPU processing speed alone when I say that I haven't seen an Intel machine outperform mine. I am speaking specifically about gaming. There is no combo, other than the same CPU with the new R9 Fury X, that will outperform my PC in gaming. I have never seen it. Not even the top of the line Haswell with a Titan. And in the next week or so, that will be even more true because my Fury X is in the mail. If you would like to test this, we can use MWO on maximum settings for a baseline and compare FPS. Try with you new and old systems and I'll run mine. I never quoted this build as heat or power efficient. Frankly, I could care less about power efficiency. I have a 1200w. Not gonna max that out any time soon. Especially considering the CPU only needs may 270w after the OC. My build, as a whole, is guaranteed to outperform your 2600K. And I can pretty much guarantee the CPU alone won't top mine either.

www.cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-FX-9590

Bear in mind, that doesn't even come close to taking into account the massive OC on mine.

View PostWreckless331, on 16 July 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Bear in mind, that doesn't even come close to taking into account the massive OC on mine.

View PostWreckless331, on 16 July 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Nor does it take into account the fact that core parking is permanently removed from my machine, so the single core comparison is rendered invalid.

#24 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostWreckless331, on 16 July 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

Nor does it take into account the fact that core parking is permanently removed from my machine, so the single core comparison is rendered invalid.

http://cpuboss.com/c...-vs-AMD-FX-9590

http://cpuboss.com/c...l-Core-i7-4790K
i7 4790K all the Way! /thread

#25 Wreckless331

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 16 July 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

Again, I'm speaking specifically to gaming. The most pertinent test there is going to be the 3D Mark 11. The 4790K scored just under 9000. At my current OC, my FX-9590 scores a bit over 13000

I can put a SS of it up here when I get home. Currently at work on my phone lol.

#26 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostWreckless331, on 16 July 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

snip random crap

At 5GhZ, my 2600K was faster in SuperPi than the first place record holder FX-9590... when I had it. It is now relegated to my girlfriend's machine playing WoW with a 750 Ti.

My guess is that you've also never run the 3DMark suite on Steam for some contrived reason you will no doubt come up with.

After looking at some of the stuff on overclock.net, I find it hard to believe you even achieved a 6.1GhZ OC on a simple AIO. People are hoping for 5.1-5.3 on custom loops, 5.5-5.9 on phase change.

Coming from doing this same 'debate' in the past with Bill Lumbar, I can definitely also say that MWO loves Intel more (by a lot, actually). I can also say that MWO doesn't like crossfire or SLI very much (even though it is now advertised as SLI supported). So please feel free to contribute to the OP topic or troll along elsewhere. Even feel free to PM me actual benchmark results. I'm interested in a machine that is actually that good of an overclocker, I just doubt you have it and I know your claims of performance aren't very well founded.

#27 CrazyDevil

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Hi,
I would recommend a Xeon, dont know what the new ones are but my experience is that they are much cheaper (~50-100€) for the same power got an E3-1240 V2 (I7-4770k was the other choice) ~two years ago and never regretted it :)

#28 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 16 July 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

At 5GhZ, my 2600K was faster in SuperPi than the first place record holder FX-9590... when I had it. It is now relegated to my girlfriend's machine playing WoW with a 750 Ti.

My guess is that you've also never run the 3DMark suite on Steam for some contrived reason you will no doubt come up with.

After looking at some of the stuff on overclock.net, I find it hard to believe you even achieved a 6.1GhZ OC on a simple AIO. People are hoping for 5.1-5.3 on custom loops, 5.5-5.9 on phase change.

Coming from doing this same 'debate' in the past with Bill Lumbar, I can definitely also say that MWO loves Intel more (by a lot, actually). I can also say that MWO doesn't like crossfire or SLI very much (even though it is now advertised as SLI supported). So please feel free to contribute to the OP topic or troll along elsewhere. Even feel free to PM me actual benchmark results. I'm interested in a machine that is actually that good of an overclocker, I just doubt you have it and I know your claims of performance aren't very well founded.

Ha ha... Wired...now where did you and I ever have a debate like this one? I have never had any illusions of what my FX-8350 @5ghz could or could not do or how well or poorly it performed at this game. When I say this, I do mean only how it performed in THIS game. Please, don't tell Wreckless to go away or PM you info on his build/benchs, lets keep this all here. I am also very curious about his build and the numbers. ;) :P :D

#29 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Bill, if you still have the FX machine, you know what you must do now... To 6.1GhZ and beyond!

#30 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

MWO uses more CPU than GPU? True or has changed?

#31 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

Lol.... No, I sold it a just a few days after I got the new I7 build up and running, and got $350 for it and the 990fx Gigabyte UD3 mother board I bought at Micro center on combo. I think I got my money back 100% on it and got to play with it for almost 2 years. :D

If I had it still, I would try for it for sure... I am not a OC god, but I think I could of gotten a bit more out of her if I would of tried. This is one of the reason's I am very curious about his rig, 6.1ghz would of been next to getting the Lotto chip even with my custom water loop. He seems really lucky! :wub: :angry:

#32 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

So he said 13,000 in 3DMark11? Um... almost 18,000 here lol
Posted Image

Also... From the old 2600K...

Posted Image
Posted Image

The fastest FX-9590, at something like 7.8 or 7.9GhZ, could only manage 9 1/2 seconds.

OP has clearly paid attention to which brand he should be purchasing for this game already. Suggesting AMD at this point is pointless and dumb.

#33 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:31 PM

Getting 6.1 is more than luck or lotto. There's something flaky there

Posted Image

Even IF you could get a chip that high, with enough voltage, an AIO would simply not dissipate the wattage until reaching extremely high temperatures (enough ΔT over ambient and you'll get there... maybe when the radiator reaches like 80C :D).

Hardware Canucks managed to overwhelm an H80 by turning off turbo and running it continuously just at stock clocks... at IDLE. A beefy mcbeefy dual-fan noctua wasn't able to hold it steady at 5ghz. It was merely temporarily stable. Sorry, but an AIO, even a slightly souped up H100, might be able to cool it at stock, maybe even at 5ghz, but not 6ghz, not unless he somehow got it to 6ghz and by some miracle undervolted.

View PostxWiredx, on 16 July 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

I only get 15000 or so on my 3770k, even with a TDP-modded 980 TI :(

#34 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

Well that is interesting for sure gentleman.... I think that about sums it up. Besides...wasn't this thread by the OP regarding which Intel Cpu to pick up as you have just pointed out? Besides, Amd for the most part never beats out Intel when it comes to most synthetic benches, to make claims that they do is just silly.

I really had a hard time buying that he could get a 6ghz+ clock with a AIO water cooler, hell, I would be hard pressed to get that kind of clock and my custom loop is top notch IMO. Sure, I could of really blew my wad on it, there are always bigger and better options, but until I include my GPU into my loop there really is no need to go with anything past a good quality triple radiator. Hell I have even thought about running my rad outside in the winter and using a air condition run in the summer to really keep my temps down low on my loop so I can push my rigs even further. Only thing holding me back is fear of condensation, which can happen if your loop temps are lower then the ambient temps in the room. Right now I am running MWO in the back ground, 6 web pages up, FTP'ing files over to my xbox I just soft modded and my I74790K @4.8ghz is sitting at 27C and its 80 outside still. :D

To be honest, I haven't really been keeping up with some of the newer AIO loops being sold now days, always considered them to be sub par to building a good custom loop. But, one really never knows for sure with new stuff hitting the market everyday. Ummm Yeah..... Wreck.... lets see some of these results... benches... pics, videos of your rig, something? Where did you go little buddy, this isn't a half day or anything..... Hey...whats this I hear you are having trouble with your TPS reports? :lol:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 16 July 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#35 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:23 PM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 16 July 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

Wait 3 month till we know what the new CPU can?

Not 3 Months, more like 3 weeks. It'll be announced @ August 6, and likely hit stores the next week.

View PostK19, on 16 July 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

MWO uses more CPU than GPU? True or has changed?

AFAIK, still true. Maybe at 4K and above resolutions it is GPU limited.

#36 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

4790k will run any game maxed out with your 980ti for the forseable future, its a no brainer.

#37 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

Guys I have my old 640gb back up hard drive from the FX system now copied to my new storage drive on the I7 build and can post up some old fraps benches from running the FX system at 5ghz. There are no question about it, the new I7 build puts out better min FPS then the FX build for sure.

#38 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I think the troll went and hid back under the bridge, Bill.

One of these days, when building a Piledriver system becomes stupid cheap (after Zen comes out and I can get the parts on eBay), I think I might take a crack at dry ice OCing one to see if I can get one beyond 6GhZ. Personal record is still 5.05GhZ on that Sandy Bridge...

#39 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 16 July 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

Purely for the lawls, he is indeed blowing smoke out of some position I shan't name,

here is my low 16k with an AMD + Titan.

Just look at that HUGE gap in CPU power. HUGE!

Posted Image

Edited by Lordred, 17 July 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#40 Capt_Kobalt

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

I am running the 5820... Love it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users