26 replies to this topic

#1 Shaio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

I feel the IS Machine gun's sound effect is to TAME. That being said I would love it if the gun sounded more like:

The GAU 19 .50 Cal "MEATY"
Posted Image
Or the M2A1 .50 Cal "CHUNKY"
Posted Image

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

I just want the older, more useful MG back. :(

#3 Shaio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 July 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

I just want the older, more useful MG back. :(

Tame the crit damage a bit and I am on board. I use to run the older older even less useful MGs on my Jager DD (Aaa the memories) with twin ER PPCs. Well those days are gone right now I would settle for upgraded sound effects on the Arrow SALT shakers.

Because Everyone NEEDS MORE SALT. in MWO

Edited by Shaio, 16 July 2015 - 07:27 PM.

#4 Dettmam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

something like WWII 20mm cannon should be ok to me

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

One of the things I recall as a first impression was the satisfying bass that Clan MGs have. Spheroid MGs could use a better sound effect. It's kind of a low priority thing, though.

I think the best solution would be for PGI to set up a poll with links to files on their soundcloud and let the userbase vote on a new sound effect. No meetings, no useless crap, just grab 5 or 6 samples, toss them up, let people vote, institute player choice in next big patch after poll is finished.

#6 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, the sound should be a lot meatier. MG's are loud.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 16 July 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

And this should have been CUAC2 or CUAC5... :unsure:

https://youtu.be/kb6KsYE4X3I?t=120

Edited by El Bandito, 16 July 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostShaio, on 16 July 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Tame the crit damage a bit and I am on board. I use to run the older older even less useful MGs on my Jager DD (Aaa the memories) with twin ER PPCs. Well those days are gone right now I would settle for upgraded sound effects on the Arrow SALT shakers.

Because Everyone NEEDS MORE SALT. in MWO

They already did; 15% crit damage nerf, and THEN the 20% damage nerf. A preemptive nerf because of a hitreg "fix".

#9 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

Bradley chain gun with coax MG

Edited by SaltBeef, 16 July 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#10 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 July 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

And this should have been CUAC2 or CUAC5... :unsure:

https://youtu.be/kb6KsYE4X3I?t=120

Oh yeah, I love that thing. We got to blat off a crapload of rounds in an exercise with the Yanks a few years ago. heh, Australia polices it's ammo expenditure so closely, it was a pretty mad culture shock.

Australia: "5 rounds, in your own time, go on"
America: "Oh... just cut loose man." *paraphrased*

OOOH, and the AGL - that thing is #1.

pat-ptat-ptat-pat-pat.............................................................WHUMPWHUMPWHUMPWHUMPWHUMP

Or the bofours:

MWO, I'm guessing through designing the sounds as though they were passing through a mech-cockpit filter, just sounds a little less... KABOOOOOOOOooom than real weapons fire.

Some of the sounds are great though. I often roll with the LB20X because it just sounds so awesome.

#11 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

View PostShaio, on 16 July 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Tame the crit damage a bit

I say get rid of it completely.

Having specialized "crit weapons" makes sense in a game where regular weapons can't crit. But in MWO each and every weapon has a 42% chance to crit - which makes "crit weapons" a very, very stupid idea. Especially low-damage ones like the MG.

"Hey, your 0.08 bullet can crit for 3 damage on this 10-hp component! It's a crit weapon!"
"Yeah, well anything with more than 3.3 damage would just destroy the same component outright, so what's the point?"

No, just remove the crit bonuses and up the damage to 0.1 - 0.2 per round (1 - 2 DPS). Oh, and remove the cone of fire while you're at it - don't you find it just a tad strange that the leets from Mt. Tryhard that are so against a cone of fire because it would remove their precious skillz never say a word about the MG having a cone of fire?

#12 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:56 AM

TAHRATTATATA TAHRATTATATA TAHRATTARATTARATTA TA!

yay for new sounds :D And while you're at it, give it some damage and all. Should be a useful short range AC2, at least in DPS terms. plox ;)

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:06 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 16 July 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

The GAU-8 isn't as loud as the other MG...

View Poststjobe, on 16 July 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

I say get rid of it completely.

Having specialized "crit weapons" makes sense in a game where regular weapons can't crit. But in MWO each and every weapon has a 42% chance to crit - which makes "crit weapons" a very, very stupid idea. Especially low-damage ones like the MG.

"Hey, your 0.08 bullet can crit for 3 damage on this 10-hp component! It's a crit weapon!"
"Yeah, well anything with more than 3.3 damage would just destroy the same component outright, so what's the point?"

No, just remove the crit bonuses and up the damage to 0.1 - 0.2 per round (1 - 2 DPS). Oh, and remove the cone of fire while you're at it - don't you find it just a tad strange that the leets from Mt. Tryhard that are so against a cone of fire because it would remove their precious skillz never say a word about the MG having a cone of fire?

I agree with this except teh CoF removal. Machine gun bullets don't follow in a stream like a laser beam would.

#14 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:24 AM

105mm

#15 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 July 2015 - 02:06 AM, said:

The GAU-8 isn't as loud as the other MG...

I agree with this except teh CoF removal. Machine gun bullets don't follow in a stream like a laser beam would.

Yeah, the GAU-8 there is odd. It's hard to get the true audio of these things in a lot of youtube clips; the sound comes through sort of tinny and anemic compared to RL, especially if they're recording from a distance using zoom like many weapons clips do. Maybe the operating noise from the running gear in the motor affects it somewhat, because a .50 is a stupidly loud weapon. I'm fairly certain it's how I lost some of the hearing in my right ear. Well, it was that or the stupid Carl Gustaf... or that one grenade. Probably normal rifle fire too. Or that time my Dad and I blew ourselves up after removing a troublesome tree stump with some old dynamite we found.

Anyhoo, I think a lot of our weapon noises are missing bass.

#16 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:49 AM

Just make them pewpew and it'll save time later with the way the rest of the combat bias seems to be headed.

#17 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:13 AM

Always thought sounds in MWO were really well done.

Even the MG sounds are not bad to me considering I am wearing a neuro-helmet and inside the cockpit of a giant, 100 ton, atomic powered, laser firing, missile dodging, walking death machine.

If they wanna change it fine, lets hear what they have in mind.

If they don't, I'll still be smiling and giggling while I circle strafe some Assault.

#18 beaver1776

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:21 AM

I honestly don't have an issue with the MG sounds. You're looking at a .50 cal (MG) vs. a 120mm or bigger (AC20). They seem fine to me.

Oh, and TWIAFU...I am still waiting on a shipment of Oberon, preferably a couple of mini kegs. I don't feel like making the hour and a half drive out there.

#19 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:24 AM

View Postbeaver1776, on 17 July 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

I honestly don't have an issue with the MG sounds. You're looking at a .50 cal (MG) vs. a 120mm or bigger (AC20). They seem fine to me.

Oh, and TWIAFU...I am still waiting on a shipment of Oberon, preferably a couple of mini kegs. I don't feel like making the hour and a half drive out there.

Are the MGs REAAAALLY .50 cal?
I mean they do weigh 500 kilograms (for IS). It's a bit hard for me to picture a 500 kilogram .50 cal machine gun.

#20 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:25 AM

View Postbeaver1776, on 17 July 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

I had two, but one just up and vanished! Was sitting there and next morning it was just empty. No idea how it happened....

Must have evaporated. Sorry.

Where you located beaver? Lots of Michiganers here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users