- - - - -

Graphics Problem

15 replies to this topic

#1 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

I just started playing this game but I am having some graphics problems. When I see straight lines they all blend together or break up and are not straight. I had this exact problem in WoT and thought it was just that game but it is happening here as well. I was wondering if anybody have any ideas on how to fix this. When I get close to the lines they are fine. It is only at a distance.

I have a Sapphire Radeon 7950 video card.

Here are some screenshots to what I mean.

https://imageshack.com/i/ipN8wOmKj

https://imageshack.com/i/ey04GX1pj

Look at the grates on top of the building. They are not straight lines. When I move they dance and shimmer in a very annoying way. One of these screen shots is max settings the other is low settings. I did not restart the client in between changing them if that matters.

https://imageshack.com/i/f0WkQkpHj

Here look at the line on the landing pad. It is not a straight line.

https://imageshack.com/i/f0R4cJVyj

Again here the line under the door is not straight.

I have a feeling this may be some setting in Catalyst or something since it happens in Wot and MWO. I am using the current drivers.

When people use lasers from they appear in broken lines like the screens show. I just couldnt get a good picture of them in battle of course.

Thank you for any help I can get.

Edited by Odium, 01 August 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

I could be wrong but I think that is antiailiasing, basically want antiailiasing does is blends colours together to make lines look smoother, and camouflage the zigzag and popup effects
playing with the Antiailiasing settings should fix this, but beware those are some of the most demanding graphics settings
going to a higher resolution may also reduce that, again in exchange for a performance hit

#3 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:15 PM

What resolution are you playing at? What GPU? The lower the res, the more jagged lines will look because they are bigger chunks. Anti-aliasing will help to a degree, and as Rogue Jedi stated it you will take a performance hit, but with a low resolution there is only some much that AA will help. It also depends on the type of AA you use, and what your card is capable of.

#4 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

My card is a 7950 and should be able to run all AA I think but it seems no matter what AA i choose, even using DX 11 there is no change. I play on the "720p" version in this game. I usually use the 1080 but the font is too small for my eyes.

#5 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

Depending upon the size of your monitor... If you have a 24 inch monitor, 720p is low resolution being enlarged to fill your monitor. see if there is a 1366 x 768 resolution available.

#6 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

View PostMechregSurn, on 02 August 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

Depending upon the size of your monitor... If you have a 24 inch monitor, 720p is low resolution being enlarged to fill your monitor. see if there is a 1366 x 768 resolution available.

I do have that setting, and many others. I tried it and nothing changed.

Just to update I have gone though one at a time with every setting in MWO and the AMD Catalyst software and changed then tested. No setting has changed anything for me.

Here is a new screenshot. I just load up the testing grounds on the Mining Collective map I think.

https://imageshack.com/i/idpnVNL5j

Now look at the grates and yellow lines to the bottom right and left of the HUD. Can somebody load up that map and see what they look like for them and what settings they have?

#7 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

One more thing I want to add.

When I disable AA in game and force through Catalyst my mech disappears. There is this strange fog over everything and i can see the shadow of the mechs legs but that is all. I will post a screenshot of it later.

#8 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

You do have to exit and restart the client for many graphics settings changes, so bear that in mind when fiddling around with them.

When you start picking resolutions lower than what your monitor supports, things do get uglier. Cranking settings higher doesn't really offset the ugliness that much.

Antialiasing will definitely also help with this, assuming it works (which the in-game ones do, so if they don't appear to then that would be a support ticket).

My suggestion: if the text is too small for you when you set the resolution higher, send in a support ticket regarding your visual impairment to see if they can do anything about it. Worst case is it becomes a feature request to have text size options when they finally implement UI scaling (currently no timeline for implementation, mind you). Turn on in-game AA and set CCC to use the application settings.

Alternatively, if you are not running the latest drivers for your GPU, I'd update the drivers and again attempt to force AA through CCC.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

if you are not using your monitors maximum possible resolution the only way to avoid distortion is to go for a resolution half or quarter the original resolution, so if you were on a 1080p monitor (1920:1080) you would have to go for 960:540 to avoid distortion, unfortunately MWO will not work with that low resolution.

think about it this way, if you reduce resolution to 75% what the monitor has to do is make every 3 pixals into 4, so one in 4 pixels would be a duplicate, look at the numerical sequence below for a visual representation,

I think that is your problem, try setting resolution to match your monitor and see of that resolves the issue, if so at least you will know for sure exactly what the problem is.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

From what I can see on those images which doesn't look that bad is rendering at distances. Look up bilinear vs trilinear for example. Older games had the effects that you describe just because of rendering. I think it's unavoidable to some extent, but AA and especially MSXX should smooth it out. It may also just be limitation of your GPU. MWO is designed for Nvidia not ATI.

#11 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 02 August 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

It may also just be limitation of your GPU. MWO is designed for Nvidia not ATI.

This may be the whole issue right here.

I have tried 2 different monitors, every single different resolution, uninstalled video drivers, driver sweeper, new drivers, and tried an old ASUS 5850 with the correct drivers. Nothing has changed what I see.

I have tried every setting under the AMD control panel except forcing AA because all it does is break my mech bay. I tried to us the advanced AA, TXAA I think, under DX11 in game and it didnt seem to do anything except cut my frame rate in half, from 80 to 40. Temps for CPU and GPU are all good.

My friend who has a NVIDIA card says his does not look like mine but I have not seen a screenshot from him so who knows. I am almost sure that this game just runs crap for AMD. If so that is very sad.

Edited by Odium, 02 August 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

View PostOdium, on 02 August 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

This may be the whole issue right here.

I have tried 2 different monitors, every single different resolution, uninstalled video drivers, driver sweeper, new drivers, and tried an old ASUS 5850 with the correct drivers. Nothing has changed what I see.

I have tried every setting under the AMD control panel except forcing AA because all it does is break my mech bay. I tried to us the advanced AA, TXAA I think, under DX11 in game and it didnt seem to do anything except cut my frame rate in half, from 80 to 40. Temps for CPU and GPU are all good.

My friend who has a NVIDIA card says his does not look like mine but I have not seen a screenshot from him so who knows. I am almost sure that this game just runs crap for AMD. If so that is very sad.

It's really not that issue. If it were, half of the forums would be complaining. LOTS of AMD GPU users here. They actually probably outnumber the Nvidia users.

#13 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

Even full HD 1920x1080 looks like crap when displayed on a big enough screen. I use 3 monitors and the minimum resolution on my amd based system is 2430x1440.

#14 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 03 August 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

It's really not that issue. If it were, half of the forums would be complaining. LOTS of AMD GPU users here. They actually probably outnumber the Nvidia users.

Well nobody has posted anything showing anything different to what I see so I assume that the game or my AMD to blame.

#15 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

View PostOdium, on 14 August 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Well nobody has posted anything showing anything different to what I see so I assume that the game or my AMD to blame.

Like you, I'm also running at 720p on a 1080p screen. I get essentially the same jagged line effects, while I am running Intel/Nvidia, so I think it's just the low resolution and the further losses in having to scale the low resolution to your screen in an imperfect way (see below).

View PostRogue Jedi, on 02 August 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

if you are not using your monitors maximum possible resolution the only way to avoid distortion is to go for a resolution half or quarter the original resolution, so if you were on a 1080p monitor (1920:1080) you would have to go for 960:540 to avoid distortion, unfortunately MWO will not work with that low resolution.

think about it this way, if you reduce resolution to 75% what the monitor has to do is make every 3 pixals into 4, so one in 4 pixels would be a duplicate, look at the numerical sequence below for a visual representation,

I think that is your problem, try setting resolution to match your monitor and see of that resolves the issue, if so at least you will know for sure exactly what the problem is.

This is a good point. When I run games at "wrong" (lower) resolutions on my laptop, I'm actually astonished that they don't look worse than they do. 720p on a 1080p screen looks, by and large, surprisingly OK.

#16 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

View Postjss78, on 14 August 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

Like you, I'm also running at 720p on a 1080p screen. I get essentially the same jagged line effects, while I am running Intel/Nvidia, so I think it's just the low resolution and the further losses in having to scale the low resolution to your screen in an imperfect way (see below).

This is a good point. When I run games at "wrong" (lower) resolutions on my laptop, I'm actually astonished that they don't look worse than they do. 720p on a 1080p screen looks, by and large, surprisingly OK.

I have swapped to 1080 and the results appear unchanged. My monitor can't go any higher to test if that is indeed the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users