Faction Warfare, improved.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I would like to see a faction warfare system where multiple matches are tied together.

My suggestion is as follows:

1. A planet is designated as being the contested target for a specific day and factions.
2. Each faction has multiple companies sign up to participate in the war.
3. A system is put in place to have a certain cutoff so the teams are roughly even numerically. However people who don't make the cut should also have a way to contribute, but in a less substantial way. Alternatively the left over spots can be opened to lone wolves or lance sized groups. However these makeshift groups should still have a leader designated for #6.
4. Mechwarriors involved basically commit a mech or two to the fight time period. Those mechs are locked until the contest is over.
5. Battles commence and as soon as your battle is over you may move to join other battles nearby, however your mech enters the battle after a short wait and is not repaired or rearmed. This will allow cascading. Losers or people who lost a mech may opt to use their backup mech to enter into battles as well, but with a significantly longer wait. Also if you lose a mech and still have your backup you can bring that into the same match after the same long wait. Should the match end before you make it in you simply get pushed to the neighboring match.
6. Which battles are nearby should be known ahead of time by both teams. A system should be in place for each company commander to pick which battle he will take. A well organized faction will thus be able to metagame a bit by placing some companies into favorable maps/matches while other companies are designed to hold out until they get reinforced from nearby matches. Neither side will know who is going to which match until you hit the ground.
7. Battles will continue until all matches are resolved.
8. Also to keep the 12v12 match setup simple reinforcements can not enter unless their is a slot open in that match.
9. Also players should be given the option to move to their backup mech between matches, and their original mech can then enter a basic repair cycle.
10. Players in matches should also be able to withdraw for repairs provided another mech can replace them. So if your mech is damaged badly and you can make it back to the spawn you can tag out and allow someone else to enter the match.

I know this suggestion is long, but I think it adds a huge value to factional warfare. You can get those long battalion/regimental engagements, albeit in a company v company format. You can get more strategic gameplay in the faction warfare.

Now for a few problems I can see.
A. players can friendly fire so can handicap their own faction by griefing. To prevent this I think commanders for a match should be able to block out undesired players from reinforcing their match.
B. Matches can drag on beyond the time people can commit. However they will be able to withdraw for repairs and simply allow someone else to take the spot.

Now for anyone reading this I would suggest you think about how the various companies might build out for this style of faction warfare. Also think about groups forming battalions and entering 3 companies into the contests. This will also allow a force that has won a match to move to support and cycle into other matches. So if your company is not well suited for the match you are in you might hold out and begin cycling mechs out to allow better suited mechs to get into the match.

Now something else to think about. The contest could be setup and contest wide updates of how the various matches are going. That would add to the drama and excitement of being in a big battle.

#2 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I get the feeling they're doing something similar anyhow. There's contracts etc. for people to take up and capturing planets may be involved in that. The only real difference is there's no locking yourself before the fight starts, you can repair and re-engage as often as you like. In game terms, they actually did a lot of repair and rearm between battles for planets.

#3 Latriam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I agree and wholeheartedly support this option.

#4 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

PGI already has future plans to implement a sequenced match system of some kind that will be used for contesting planets, which is something I am really looking forward to. This suggestion adds a really interesting dimension to it, though.

#5 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

well wait and see....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users