The Golden Brush Event Submissions!

79 replies to this topic

#61 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

I'm submitting this for best screen cap/art. "A joust of Griffins in the blizard weather".
This was shot a few knights ago. Two of our members had a Joust in gryphons.
I managed to snap this :P
Posted Image

Edited by CainenEX, 02 September 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#62 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHiding from the Maskirovka

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

Hey folks! Just a reminder the contest ends September 5th at 00:00 EST. Aaaaaaand as a reward for such a varied turnout (and because I was a lucky sonuvagun at a local poker game) I've upped the ante on the prizes!

Now the winner of each category can have their choice of either the Crab Resistance II Package OR The Hunchback IIC Package!

All entries after 00:00 EST September 5th will not be eligible. (That's Friday night into Saturday morning folks)
Please remember to review the rules page before you submit

Edited by Bill Bullet, 03 September 2015 - 05:09 AM.

#63 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

View PostBill Bullet, on 03 September 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

Hey folks! Just a reminder the contest ends September 5th at 00:00 EST. Aaaaaaand as a reward for such a varied turnout I've upped the ante on the prizes!

Now the winner of each category can have their choice of either the Crab Resistance II Package OR The Hunchback IIC Package!

All entries after 00:00 EST September 5th will not be eligible. (That's Friday night into Saturday morning folks)
Please remember to review the rules page before you submit

Posted Image

#64 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

OK, MECH ART
(probably still missed something in the rules)
Posted Image

A Cicada that has been upgraded with Clan Tech, packing IS Endo, an IS 280XL with 10 DHS, Triple Strength Myomers, and 5 tons of Clan Ferro Armor, 2x C-LPL and a Clan Targeting Computer. (much more useful in TT than in MWO)

Unfortunately, cellphone camera (and a bad one, at that) doesn't help....but my scanner is 3000 miles away, in a different country.

sigh.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 03 September 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#65 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

Here is my submission for the category "Mech Art".

Posted Image

This render was created mostly using blender.
I've tried to create a science fiction feeling, whilst also having it be relatable to Earth.
The model of the Thanatos took a while to get right and proportion correctly, overall It took about 6-7 days to get it modelled, textured and rigged. This is the THS-4T- which has an MRM20, 4 Med Pulse lasers and an LB20-X AC.

There's not much detail to the rear of the Mech since it is not visible in the final render.
Here is an image of the skeleton:
Spoiler

For the texturing, the mech was UV unwrapped, then inside blender painted solid colours directly onto the UV map- in this case red, blue & white (Which is where the respective colours would go for the Davion camo scheme) dark brown (for the non- camo parts) and lime green for where the rust dents would go. I then assigned textures to each of these colours using GIMP. A few passes of this were done, adding more details each time.

Below are examples of the UV maps, and a Davion logo made in gimp for the legs and L/R torso:
Spoiler

A fairly basic node setup is used for the Thanatos- but it gets the job done.
Spoiler

Here are some renders of the Thanatos:
Spoiler

The next model was meant to be a Korvin Tank- ended up looking very little like it :D
Looking at some of the older pictures of it I did not like the look of it, so decided to base it on a couple of real tanks, most notably the M3 Bradley inspired body and elements of the Challenger Mk2 in the turret- however this is less noticeable. Its supposed to carry a Large Laser, LRM10 and 5 MGs, but I wanted to make a tank that would look better when shooting- so decided to replace the Large laser with an AC of some kind and also gave it two LRM10 Launchers by mistake... Ooops! So its pretty much not a Korvin anymore.

The techniques used on the Thanatos were used to texture this model, here is the finished UV map:
Spoiler

And some renders of the Tank:
Spoiler

Also made a model of some sort of APC, but this is not really that visible in the final render. There's crushed version of it under the Thanatos foot- but it is barely visible because of the foliage. The destroyed version has just one texture applied as there is no point in doing a proper UV map paint as it would waste time for something that you cant really see.
Spoiler

The terrain is basically just a subdivided plane with a displacement map applied. For the grass, particle systems were used, and weight painted the area in which the grass is to appear.
After getting the basic ground done, the scene got built up- adding a cliff, trees and more foliage.
Spoiler

The background mountains were made in a similar way. The proportional editing tool was used to get the sharp looking rocks.
Spoiler

The effects of the fire coming out of the destroyed tank and tank gun were made with smoke emitters.
The sparks coming off the Mech was made using an emission particle system, then assigning it to render a basic object which would look like sparks when motion blur is applied. Due to the sheer amount of particles,the spark models as low poly as possible, but it doesn't really matter as they are motion blurred anyway.

When the scene rendered the compositor was used to add some effects such as glow and to fine tune the colour balance, then a little editing inside of gimp.

Overall this took just over two weeks of work.

Edit:

Did not put the final render up

Edited by Joe3142, 04 September 2015 - 03:11 AM.

#66 VANDAM

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

Posted ImageMech Art - digital manipulation

#67 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:16 PM

Mech Art
Posted ImagePosted Image

#68 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

Contest ends at 00:00 EST y'all get those submissions and Fan Favorite votes in!

#69 raven925

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:35 PM

Was pretty discouraged to post these but ill do it anyway. Heres a Warhammer i managed to do within a week. Ill enter this one in the model category.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by raven925, 04 September 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#70 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

Okay, Finally decided to choose a theme to my entry. I saw nothing about having multiple entries, but if I'm only allowed to choose one, there's one that's my favourite and I'll let ya know.

So first off, lets throw up some spoilers, cuz I'm choosing Emerald Taiga as my theme, and there're quite a few beauties in it. I tried to get a narrative going.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 04 September 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#71 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Aaaaand time! That's it folks, no further entries past this point I'm afraid!

Big thanks to everyone who participated and made the first Golden Brush event as big as it was!

Alright, so here's what happens next:

1) All entries will be checked
2) A panel of 7 judges will pick their favorites
3) Ties will be decided by me
4) Winners will be posted in a separate thread
5) Winners will be contacted later on to secure their prizes

Voting for Fan Favorites will continue until the Winners thread is created (Date TBD) so vote for your favs folks!

Edited by Bill Bullet, 04 September 2015 - 08:03 PM.

#72 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

AAANNND this would be the right thread (sorry!)

"Kurita Pilot in River City" - Character Art

Posted Image

http://sammysupafly....-City-558331480

Edited by TygerLily, 05 September 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#73 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 September 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Spoiler

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG
Posted Image

Edited by NautilusCommand, 05 September 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#74 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:36 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 23 August 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

Some great in game photos here.

Enter for Fan Video comp

https://youtu.be/orCyx2gIh_Q

Spoiler

I wanted to make a Fan Video but did not have the time. Congrats on being a mech pack winner as the only entry.

LOL

#75 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:45 AM

View PostSeal Farmer, on 06 September 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

I wanted to make a Fan Video but did not have the time. Congrats on being a mech pack winner as the only entry.

LOL

We'll I could have submitted 10 videos, but the rule was new, never before presented content and for that, the timeframe was just too short.

#76 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

Wrapping up the validation process here. So question for the audience: What things do you think the contest can do to improve itself? I have some ideas of my own of course, but seeing as this is the first time I've ever run something like this, I'd love some feed back.

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostBill Bullet, on 06 September 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Wrapping up the validation process here. So question for the audience: What things do you think the contest can do to improve itself? I have some ideas of my own of course, but seeing as this is the first time I've ever run something like this, I'd love some feed back.

Little more advance notice, had a few items I could have debuted here. Or projects I would have liked a little more time to get started. I know I didn't see it right off, which is my fault, but it still felt a little time constrained. Maybe the Submission rules thread with just a start date for submissions for a couple weeks followed by the Submission Thread itself? (unless you did that and I just missed it....like I said, I know I was late tot he party and things are a little hectic, so I might have skimmed over stuff)

Then, add a link to Feature Suggestions after submissions close, with a voting poll letting everyone vote directly in a pole manner, or some such?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 06 September 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#78 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:47 AM

Little more advance notice is nice, but i came across this event by accident. Was the event promoted in anyway to let people know it was happening, as that would help if it was more visible.

Anyway, really nice of you to do such a thing.

Be well.

View PostIqfish, on 06 September 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

We'll I could have submitted 10 videos, but the rule was new, never before presented content and for that, the timeframe was just too short.

I like it has to be new material, but agreed that more time would be good

Edited by Seal Farmer, 07 September 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#79 Jason Zero

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

I would echo what the other guys have said about the advance notice, I also found out about it by accident. Unfortunately I think the fan creations area is a little buried on the MWO site, making it easy to miss for a lot of folks visiting the forums. Not much you can do about that unless you get some help from the mods/PGI to get this out there.

Overall I thought the rules were good and the categories clear. Categories might need a little tweaking based on the entries you saw this time, otherwise just looking forward to the next one.

#80 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

Yeah, more of a heads up is definitely gonna be a feature of the next one lol. As for more publicity, I contacted Tina about it to put the contest on their social media (which really helped my Golden Pen Event) but got no response sadly =/

As for the use of new stuff/old stuff the intention is to encourage new content being added to the site. So what do you folks think is a decent time frame for a contest like this?

Also thinking of breaking the categories into entirely different contests in the future.

BTW winners will be announced Tuesday 9/8!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users