46 replies to this topic

#1 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

Recently I've been seeing this relatively often, enough at least to think it's an actual thing: A Jenner, Raven or Cicada with just one PPC (not even ER).

So is this something real human beings choose to do, or am I just T5?

#2 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:52 PM

I do it sometimes to troll, and if you have a good map for the build and some awareness then it doesn't do to bad so long as you pick your shots well and stick and move, it isn't great by any means in my hands though. My experience is that you are Still better off with a build that boats smaller lasers and sticks and moves.

#3 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

I do run a Panther and a Cicada basically using a single ER-PPC. Both mechs have huge quirks for ER-PPC, but can't really run two, so one it is. I do have backup weapons in both (SRM's and MG's, respectively), but 90% of the time I'm out of range to use them, so effectively I'm going with one ER-PPC.

It works ... OK ... for me. But I'm guessing I'm at T4 or so. It takes a very active play style to rack up decent damage numbers. Move about like crazy, peek, shoot, move again. It's quite a lot of fun.

#4 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

Cicada cuz Quirks and panther ER-pep+2xSRM4 are ok

...all others are just T5 :)

#5 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

Well, ER-PPC is completely normal, especially when there are backup short range weapons like SRMs or SLs.

But with a lone PPC you can't brawl or snipe. It's not even a troll build, unless you want to troll yourself. I can understand someone dropping with just flamers and making a nuisance of themself. On the other hand a monoPPC cicada is just terribly sad...

#6 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:34 AM

If he was running a regular PPC in a Cicada, than that goes in the realm of being terribad/not knowing better. The 3C get batsh*t crazy quirks for ER-PPC (+50% velocity, enjoy while it lasts!), but those don't apply to regular PPCs.

(I hate regular PPCs for the exact reason you note: can't brawl or really snipe either. The heat reduction vs. ER-PPC is not worth that baggage for me.)

#7 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

I used a FS 9S with ER PPC, ML, 3x SL, 280XL, JJ's. With really good results. Shoot but do not get shot in return is my motto.
Notice the fact that this FS 9S doesn't have a single MPL despite the quirks....i used this mech before those quirks got a nerf too which makes it even weirder.

This wasn't a troll build either. Nowadays i replaced the SL's with SPL's and ER PPC with ER LL.
Otherwise mostly same build. Brawls better than cooler than the ER PPC build.

#8 Garonis Buhallin

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

I did some good work with a Mist Lynx with ECM and a single CERPPC.

#9 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

Anybody who drops with only weapons that have minimum ranges, be they ISPPCs or LRMs, is asking for trouble. Even just a single medium laser or small pulse gives you some ability to defend yourself (although two are better)... but nothing at all? The second you come up against something you can't outrun, your goose is cooked. You're a burden to your team with a config like that, because somewhere, sometime, somebody's going to have to save your ass when the only thing you can do is look at the enemy and think angry angry thoughts at them.

If it's your only weapon, do yourself and everyone else a favor and run an ERPPC instead.

#10 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

You could run an ERPPC + Srm6 and 2 tons of ammo with ECM and a XL-265, Would run fairly cool, but not much DPS, Or go with the 2X and run ERPPC with a pair of ML's.. sorta the non-ammo version. Again not that high of DPS, but 20 point alpha, and some snipe isn't to bad. The numbers say the dual LL would run better, I personally don't run either of those though..

I can say the cicada 3C is fun, Not sure what will happen in the re-balance though.

Once a very popular build, I am not sure how effective it is now though is the dual PPC 3M., But again it runs really hot So you will spend time hiding while you cool.. My guess is if you are a good sniper and pilot, and really love hit and run tactics it could work very well. But for me, I much prefer ac-5+ 4 ML's

I could swear i have seen spiders run them too, just a single ERPPC..

Like many builds, it is all about the pilot.. So the worst thing i can say is give it a shot. Ravens and cicada's are both good mechs with many viable builds, and spiders are just really fun when ya put a slightly smaller engine in and rack up 8-12 JJ's and leap tall buildings in a single bound.

It is not the competitive meta these days though, and heck, even the TDR-SE i find those blasted things just run to hot for my more aggressive brawl style i like to play. But that doesn't mean you can't get um to work well for the right pilots.

Again, balance changes are coming, you may just wanna save up C-bills for a while, and see how it all plays out. :)

#11 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

I really had a good time in my PPC Pirates Bane, and you can run a PPC COM-1D to good effect as well. The Locust 1V is a blast with just an ERLL and try the 3V with a large pulse laser! I always prefer at least one short range or back up weapon just in case (Urbanmech needs a small laser!)

And don't rule out the AC20 Raven :)

Edited by stealthraccoon, 19 August 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#12 Soldier91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

I had someone ask me about my Panther10k build has one er ppc
ferro,doubleheatsinks,endo full armor on limbs except left arm 18. 20 front 12 back side torsos, 28 front 16 rear CT. ERPPC/TAG right arm. 1JJ each side torso. 2 streak srm2, 2 tons of ammo. XL250 engine. Works nicely with advanced zoom/target decay.

Edited by Soldier91, 22 August 2015 - 02:21 PM.

#13 ScreamingSkull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image
PROBLEM ?

#14 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

I kinda prefer the looks of the Jackal to the Packhunter (and having the Streaks as a backup).

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/6/6f/Jackal_XTROM.jpg

Edited by stealthraccoon, 22 August 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#15 ScreamingSkull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 22 August 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

I kinda prefer the looks of the Jackal to the Packhunter (and having the Streaks as a backup).

http://www.sarna.net...A-KL-Jackal.png

That is some epic derp.

#16 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:49 PM

... can be a very real threat to the enemy team .
B) :wub:

#17 Haralachan

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

PPC, ECM, BAP and TAG is one of my faves on a 5D :D

#18 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 18 August 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

...enough at least to think it's an actual thing: A Jenner, Raven or Cicada with just one PPC (not even ER)...

That's no Light mech...

#19 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:40 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 23 August 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

That's no Light mech...

Sure it is, we call it the fat Jenner. lol

@ the OP, yeah... I'm not sure what thats all about. I'm not sure why anyone would put a PPC on a Jenner, unless they are mixing it up as they master it.

#20 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:42 AM

A light with a PPC, even a signle one, is my no means bad. On the battlefield they serve as forward scouts and snipers, and are meant to harrass enemy positions. My friend cynicfrog has a ppc on his ciccada (his favorite mech) and he managed to do well over 700 damage, so it has its uses ;P

It's a very different playstyle that you'll have to adjust to but it's just as effective as your guass/laser vomit.

That being said, a team using combined arms and teamwork is the ultimate weapon!

Edited by CainenEX, 23 August 2015 - 06:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users