- - - - -

One Hand Mech Suggestions

44 replies to this topic

#21 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:07 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 28 August 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

Second, I use a 2 button mouse so I run 2-3 weapon groups myself. My rule is left is the panic button mostly torso weapons so if I am facing the bad guy I'll hit, and the right is for aimed one usually arm mounted and/or sniping. I use a hotkey for LRMs if carrying them and needed. My point is you might be able to use say your pinky to hit R to lock targets, thus freeing your left to hit space to fire. Just spitballing as obviously can't directly address your situation but always look for new setups, key binds etc.

Ever tried a roller ball? Kind of like an old school mouse but upside down as it were. Had a ball on top that you spun to move and had buttons on the side etc. My thought is if you aren't using a mouse, then perhaps even if just used the buttons (thumb maybe).
**EDIT**
Added the emphasis

I'm a lefty, i have a naga hex lefty (which is an exeption) an a ledos speedlink. i think most lefties know how hard it is to get a good gaming mice and/or stick with 3 button mices.

about the rollerball, i think you mean trackball devices. that's a darn good point, sir.

this thing is absolut dope if it comes to one hand gaming devices, no idea why i didn't mentioned it before. a friend of mine plays his game with such a thing from the early 90 up to now, he swears on this thing.

http://www.razerzone...rbweaver-chroma

#22 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

OP, I think you would love the Catapult. Pick the C1 and K2 for sure. Awesome torso twist. Good manueverability. XL friendly. 3 variants are missile platforms. Although not the greatest mechs on the field today, they are still easy mechs to handle for any player. They also won't be picked out as a major threat, but maybe will be as a target of opportunity.

I was running a boomcat last week. (2x AC20) Once, a meta, now no one plays it. Busted up 2 heavies in the tunnel on Crimson Straits. :)

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 29 August 2015 - 06:07 AM.

#23 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostNiuqOteen, on 28 August 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

About all i can manage with my left arm is hitting Spacebar to lock targets. Currently have an elite HBK-4j and love it. The extra torso twist helps alot. As does the nature of LRM weps.
I find it very hard to hold lasers on target, since im usually holding move or move and turn with my aim hand. Tryed some of the lights i spend more time running into walls, than shooting.

Had a terrible time in the HBK-p, the HBK-4sp i did ok but getting up close usually led to me running into walls while unloading the Srm's. Bouncing off walls, and getting ripped apart at range led to me putting LRM's on it.

AC's / PPc's seem managable can anticipate, then ambush shot instead of tracking a target.
Tryed Gauss rifles but that was a bit much holding multple buttons meant my aim or timing suffered too much.

Tryed the IS Assult Trial mechs and struggled to do damage (lasers) felt i was a detriment to the team. First mech i bought was a Battlemaster-2c should have done far more research, as i feel i struggle to pull my weight. In the 4j i usually manage up 150-390 damage using tag Lrm's and 4 med lasers, feel like im doing an ok job at support on the mech. The Battlemaster 120-300 a game, i know this is bad. 2LL 4 Med pulse 2 LRM 10. 300 STD engine.

Hated having to close to 300m before i could do any real damage. Ran the HBK-4p with 2 LL and some meds. did not help much but liked the high torso mounts.

So few points to narrow it down
Can't use more than 3 weapon groups, 3 is pushing it.
Range of some kind at least 500m
Too much speed is actually a detriment when brawling to me.
Regular lazers are very hard for me to use unless im stationary. Pulse wasnt much better.
Movement ( Fwd backwards turning) Torso twist/ Aiming Weapon groups Zoom all on right hand
Left arm can only really hit space to lock targets. Control is Tag when playing the HBK-4J
If im using LRM's im moving with the group using Tag to get my own locks unless im really beat up.
Like to be at least as durable as the HBK. The trial Trebuchet felt frail maybe it was the xl engine and size.
Just want to be useful, and contribute a fair amount for the tonnage i drop.

Thanks in advance.

Get pedals to steer your mech... even steering wheel pedals will work fine... in fact 3-pedal versions will give you 4 inputs... try looking at stinky board as well foot switches..

For your mouse get one with at least 5 buttons

#24 NiuqOteen

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

Again thank you everyone for all the suggestions / help

#25 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5d48f096c87b1f6

Best ERPPC sniper, with all the extras, you can even brawl with it with some experience.

#26 Giving Em The Business

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOn your six, duct tape at the ready

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

Can whomever is in charge of these forums please sticky the he!! out of this thread?
This is one of the most useful threads I have ever read simply because more people have issues like this than we imagine and it's really cool that companies make things like these.

Edited by Giving Em The Business, 01 September 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#27 Giving Em The Business

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

Bumping this out of principle.

#28 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Alll i could say is i spent 5 weeks playing this game with my left hand only due to a severe injury. I am also very right handed. This is whT i learned:

1. Lrms are your friends. It is the weapon of choice for anyone with physical restriction on play. Boats will be better than lrmishers. But my three favorite mechs though this time was the SDH 2D2, Kintaro 19, and orion VA.

2. Move or shoot. I could rarely do both. That meant i got very good at hiding and using "sniper nests". I would get set up in the blind like a hunter, fire a bunch then run to the next blind.

3. Cruise control is your friend. Use the keypad throttle a lot to move and shoot. Its hard at times but can work.

4. Join a unit who will understand your difficulty. The Seraphim was a great place for me but find a unit that is good with this style of play.

I managed to kill a ddc atlas... Fresh on canyon network alone in My SDH 2d2 like this and win the match. It earned me the nickname fhe One Armed Bandit among my friends. So know this wont stop you either and you can do great things too.

#29 Giving Em The Business

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:51 AM

Sticky Please! :D

#30 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:35 AM

About all i can manage with my left arm is hitting Spacebar to lock targets. Currently have an elite HBK-4j and love it. The extra torso twist helps alot. As does the nature of LRM weps.
I find it very hard to hold lasers on target, since im usually holding move or move and turn with my aim hand. Tryed some of the lights i spend more time running into walls, than shooting.

Had a terrible time in the HBK-p, the HBK-4sp i did ok but getting up close usually led to me running into walls while unloading the Srm's. Bouncing off walls, and getting ripped apart at range led to me putting LRM's on it.

AC's / PPc's seem managable can anticipate, then ambush shot instead of tracking a target.
Tryed Gauss rifles but that was a bit much holding multple buttons meant my aim or timing suffered too much.

Tryed the IS Assult Trial mechs and struggled to do damage (lasers) felt i was a detriment to the team. First mech i bought was a Battlemaster-2c should have done far more research, as i feel i struggle to pull my weight. In the 4j i usually manage up 150-390 damage using tag Lrm's and 4 med lasers, feel like im doing an ok job at support on the mech. The Battlemaster 120-300 a game, i know this is bad. 2LL 4 Med pulse 2 LRM 10. 300 STD engine.

Hated having to close to 300m before i could do any real damage. Ran the HBK-4p with 2 LL and some meds. did not help much but liked the high torso mounts.

Regular lazers are very hard for me to use unless im stationary. Pulse wasnt much better.
Movement ( Fwd backwards turning) Torso twist/ Aiming Weapon groups Zoom all on right hand
Left arm can only really hit space to lock targets. Control is Tag when playing the HBK-4J
If im using LRM's im moving with the group using Tag to get my own locks unless im really beat up.
Like to be at least as durable as the HBK. The trial Trebuchet felt frail maybe it was the xl engine and size.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have use of your feet and a desk setup that would fit some rudder pedals? I haven't tried with mine, but I'm guessing that if you got rudder pedals with toe brakes, you could steer with your feet. Could your left hand manipulate a throttle? Probably a way to do that with pedals as well, but I'm trying to think of a way you could control all aspects of moving and shooting at the same time. I think there are some good products out there that could be used so that you can get into all chassis on a relatively equal footing to everyone else.

Talk to Khorn - that dude is a beast in an Atlas, and I don't remember what setup he has going, but he should be able to help.

Edit to add:
Just thought of this - using the pedals I have, I could use the rudder input (push pedals forward or backward) as steering, and then the toe brakes for throttle (right toe brake throttle up, left toe brake throttle down). I could then do all mech movement with my feet. I might try this just for kicks.

Does the game have analog input for steering so that this might actually be worthwhile? Or would it be just a keymapping that would simulate keyboard input so it's an on/off input like normal?

Edited by Dino Might, 10 September 2015 - 05:37 AM.

#31 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:04 AM

Thanks in advance.

well, tbh a proper gaming mouse would be needed to play out the strenght of using all 6 categories. or simply play a suual laservomit build wihc often has just 3 groups. left, right and alpha.

if you have issues keeping lasers on target, play more and train harder. it all comes with time. also check your dpi seetings, maybe they are too high.

ltrm's alone won't bring you very far, as soon as you meet the player ransk that know what cover means, you will be screwed.

Also do you have some sort of issues with your left hand? whats the reason for only beign able to use space for locking?

Edited by Lily from animove, 10 September 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#32 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 10 September 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:

well, tbh a proper gaming mouse would be needed to play out the strenght of using all 6 categories. or simply play a suual laservomit build wihc often has just 3 groups. left, right and alpha.

if you have issues keeping lasers on target, play more and train harder. it all comes with time. also check your dpi seetings, maybe they are too high.

ltrm's alone won't bring you very far, as soon as you meet the player ransk that know what cover means, you will be screwed.

Also do you have some sort of issues with your left hand? whats the reason for only beign able to use space for locking?

Seriously?!? Did you even read the thread before spouting off at the mouth? Do you EVER read threads before spouting off? . . . because this is becoming a terrible pattern every time I read a post of yours.

The entire point of this thread is because the gentleman has a handicap that impairs his gaming abilities (he only has one hand), and we've been working with him to find solutions. And what do you do? Come in and spout of "train harder" . . . which that path has already been gone down in this thread by someone else; and if you had bothered to read you'd know that.

Instead you come off as an inconsiderate, unempathetic, and downright ignorant human being who doesn't actually care to acknowledge anything but their own opinion. Now, before saying anything else, maybe you should reread the thread and understand more about what's going on, please.

#33 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

I'm very interested in your situation and the general problem of simplifying ergonomics in gaming. If it would interest you, I would like to take a look at your needs and consider some kind of peripheral or keybindings for you. Please send me a private message and the model of mouse you use if interested. I myself basically play with my keyboard turned to face to my left.

Edit: I should specify; when you say you're using your left arm to lock targets only, something doesn't quite seem optimal on a couple levels. I don't really want to start asking medical questions in public view.

Edited by Hornsby, 13 September 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#34 NiuqOteen

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:50 PM

View PostSereglach, on 28 August 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

Ahhh . . . I thought that was the case from how the first post read. I don't know if you realized this piece of gaming equipment existed or not . . . but look this thing up. I think one or two of these are right up your alley.

The Stinkyboard is a gaming device that allows players to use their feet for added controls. This may literally change your gaming capabilities in ways you didn't think possible. I hope it can help you.

Bought one you were so right. Literally changed how i look at games, been playing all sorts of steam games i just couldnt manage. Begining to use it for everything i can. Will probably buy a second one.

Sereglach Is my gaming hero =)

TechChris
May get one for the left arm as u suggested.

Jss78
Running a slower single PPC version of the SHD-2k you linked
Thing feels like its as big as an atlas. Streaks work well up close, i just cant seem to not get my face melted. New mech low mech skills etc, it just isnt clicking for me. im guessing this is better played as a flanker? and my postioning to the engagement is poor.

Giving em the Buissiness
For the shameless bumps/ sticky requests

Loaded
Own a Nostromo N52 at the time it was given to me they only made left hand versions. Did not have the heart to explain that is was useless to me. Even gave it go at making it work in Darkages of Camelot/ EQ2.

Still not relocating enough when firing, going too far out when poking, ending up face to face with assualts.
Forget where i read it but as a support fire role you shouldnt hide behind the main lines, with them 100- 250 map dependant.
No point having shiny paint and full armor, try to pick an assualt and tag along watching flanks, take some pressure off them if i can so they dont get focused.
The HBK seems to work well, the Shadowhawk doesnt seem to handle the task as well probably my skill with it. Blackjack quickly found out this is a bad idea. Ac'2 seem like they are only good for shaking ppl up, situational great in a firing line for backing ppl off at range, up close they inspire zero fear.

What module do you reccomend most? ( general use non weapon specific)
Was thinking Radar dep or sesmic to help with awareness.
Do Trial mechs change / When? Like to sit in it before i buy it.
Stacking up Cbills hoping to see them change.

Bad news for you guys my aim is improving with right hand free to aim and fire. Good news i still new alot of practice.
If i did not mention you by name, i read every word, and thank you for the input/ time spent offering help.

Thank you all for your support, and for saving me the trouble of explaining to those that didnt get it.

#35 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

Just wanted to drop a few lines, maybe not really helpful (great work by all the other contributors) but i felt the need for it. Really encouraged by your words NiuqOteen, I had some problems of other nature and right now trying to get back into the game. Wish you a lot of fun and melted opponents

#36 NiuqOteen

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:36 AM

Figured out my problem with the shd-2k i took most of the JJ.
maxed the JJ's currently having fun jumping on ppl's heads unloading streaks.

Pretty terrible hit ratio with the PPC though

Edited by NiuqOteen, 14 September 2015 - 12:36 AM.

#37 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

View PostNiuqOteen, on 13 September 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

Jss78
Running a slower single PPC version of the SHD-2k you linked
Thing feels like its as big as an atlas. Streaks work well up close, i just cant seem to not get my face melted. New mech low mech skills etc, it just isnt clicking for me. im guessing this is better played as a flanker? and my postioning to the engagement is poor.

To be honest, I haven't ever run it with PPCs, but with 3xERLL, although I think it can probably be made work fine with PPC's. And yep, it does have its problem as a mech that's not exactly fast, but cannot really face-tank against many mechs either -- and it is as tall as an Atlas!

My general play style is to play it as "second line" fire support. The key is to be where the shooting happens as much as possible, but in a way that makes you a less conspicuous target. This means positioning so that you have your dangerous-looking buddies somewhat in front, so that they'll be likely to draw some of the return fire. Also, while firing from that position, you should use cover as much and often as possible. Ideally you'll only be showing that left shoulder of yours (where your guns are) and some of your head (so that you can see). Peek (very slightly!), shoot, duck, peek again etc. All Shadow Hawks excel at this with those shoulder-mounted guns.

It's not the most heroic or glamourous of play styles, but with a slow-but-weak long-range mech, I find that's how I can help the best :P

If you do keep working the SHD's, you can run similar play styles with the other variants, except replacing the PPCs with AC's (AC10, 2xAC5, etc.) or possibly a Gauss Rifle. 2H/2D can both also run 3xSSRM2, the 2D2 even four. But you've got lots of suggestions for other mechs -- I suggested the SHD as I'm kind of new myself, but that's one chassis I do know.

Glad to hear you're having fun! This new-player forum is wonderful and really shows the best face of the MWO community.

#38 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:39 AM

I thought Sereglatch was really dead on.

I suggest the Stalker Mastery pack. I almost got it myself, because I love Catapults, but my playstyle demands something with more mobility; I went with Victors because they're a glorified 70 ton heavy masquerading as an 80 ton assault :) and I need to be able to maneuver vertically. I don't poptart much but I use jets constantly when choosing the ground I'm going to fight from or escaping from a bad place and every time I don't have them (looking at YOU, K2) I miss them dreadfully.

For a player who doesn't have the ability to exploit mobility and who needs to move slow and steady, you can't go wrong with the Stalker. It doesn't run and jump but it has firepower to spare, more LRM tubes than the base Catapult, and staying power like nothing else. It's the über-Catapult.

Edited by Chados, 14 September 2015 - 03:43 AM.

#39 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Bought one you were so right. Literally changed how i look at games, been playing all sorts of steam games i just couldnt manage. Begining to use it for everything i can. Will probably buy a second one.

Sereglach Is my gaming hero =)

Honestly, I'm touched. I was just trying to help . . . and I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of honor. I'm glad the Stinkyboard is working out for you.

Still not relocating enough when firing, going too far out when poking, ending up face to face with assualts.
Forget where i read it but as a support fire role you shouldnt hide behind the main lines, with them 100- 250 map dependant.
No point having shiny paint and full armor, try to pick an assualt and tag along watching flanks, take some pressure off them if i can so they dont get focused.
The HBK seems to work well, the Shadowhawk doesnt seem to handle the task as well probably my skill with it. Blackjack quickly found out this is a bad idea. Ac'2 seem like they are only good for shaking ppl up, situational great in a firing line for backing ppl off at range, up close they inspire zero fear.

What module do you reccomend most? ( general use non weapon specific)
Was thinking Radar dep or sesmic to help with awareness.
Do Trial mechs change / When? Like to sit in it before i buy it.
Stacking up Cbills hoping to see them change.

Bad news for you guys my aim is improving with right hand free to aim and fire. Good news i still new alot of practice.
If i did not mention you by name, i read every word, and thank you for the input/ time spent offering help.

Thank you all for your support, and for saving me the trouble of explaining to those that didnt get it.

As far as the Blackjack goes, don't underestimate AC2's. I've had some awesome games with those mechs. While the rate of fire does shake things up pretty bad, you're also knocking out 4 pinpoint damage every half second-ish with the pair of them. If someone is foolish enough to stay in your sights that can quickly ruin someone's day.

As far as modules go I'd say the single most important module (at least right now) is probably radar deprivation. Seismic can be a godsend, in some situations, and since you play support it could easily be the first (or second) module that you pick up. Both will probably prove to be invaluable for you.

Trial mechs do change every couple of months. While they used to change every month, there also used to only be four trials. As they add more and more mechs to the roster and add more and more champions to complement that roster, they may swap out the champions more often, again. Also, the upcoming completion of the full fledged tutorial and eventual steam release might assist in trials changing more often, again.

Regardless, I'm glad things are working out for you with the Stinkyboard. If there's any other assistance that I can give then please don't hesitate to ask. I'll do whatever I can to help.

#40 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

You should consider getting some racing sim pedals and bind forwards and reverse to them.

I would also sugggest a mouse with crap tons of buttons so you can bind the important things where you can reach them.

Also, if you have a joystick, SRM boats work quite well with a joystick and arm lock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users