#81 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostN0D, on 04 September 2015 - 12:34 AM, said:

Huh? XL Hunch? Nah, i'm currently using STD: HBK-4P. And i wouldn't call myself skilled in any way: Usually 300-500 damage matches happen when nobody pays enough attention to me, focusing front assaults instead, lol. When it's not that case, like i said, i'm getting swarmed and killed instantly.
Also, i thought, that TAG counters ECM, no? Hmm...

The trick to becoming really good as a medium pilot is in convincing the enemy to always focus the big assaults. Something I thoroughly fail at.

#82 N0D

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostModo44, on 28 September 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

The Timber Wolf is still king. The other two are fun as well, but none have the raw power nor the sheer (useful) build variety. One problem, though. Once you start rolling in a TW, especially elited, the Thunderbolt will feel puny.

Eh? I wonder... I like what i'm doing in my trusty TDR-5SS very much already:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Are you sure on what you say? Because then it'll be fantastic...

#83 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostN0D, on 31 August 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

First of all, my gameplay preference is sort of unusual: i am a loner and i like sniping with instant hit weapons and hide in cover, when receive return fire. And no, i've tried lrm's and ppc's on some trial mechs and i don't like how it "feels" to control them. Ppc's need some degree of prediction on long range (i'm no good at that yet), and lrm's are... well... they feel "unrewarding". No skill involved, limited pinpoint potential, and stuff like that.

Gauss Rifle.
That is all.

Currently i'm running HBK-4P with 2 ERLL's at highest attach points (for shooting, while showing only the little bit of a "hunch" over terrain) and 7 SL's for those, who appear up close out of nowhere (sadly, this happens A LOT).

4P designs you might like.
Triple PPC 4P.

Twin PPC, 6 ML 4P. (Build is changed from triple PPC design before your eyes.)

Secondly, i sort of already know which mechs i want to pilot... in theory. The actual advice i would gladly accept, is to which one i should try to grind my way to from the start, and what should the loadout be. The mechs in question are SCR-PRIME with an array of lasers for different situations and DWF-S with 8 C-ERLL's only (because Daishi is toooo sloooow to follow enemy light mech up close with its crosshairs anyway, so if lights surround me, i'm dead for sure)

Used to be a picture of my Stormcrow. Zebra stripes. PPC ST. SRMs in arms. Streaks in body. Couple of spare lasers. Nasty thing.
Dire Wolf - Boom.

That said the design's been updated, double ER PPC, double Gauss Rifle, 4 MGs for pepper spray.

I'll let the others advise you as I'm sure you've already heeded their advice by now. Just feedin' ideas.

#84 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostN0D, on 28 September 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Eh? I wonder... I like what i'm doing in my trusty TDR-5SS very much already:
Are you sure on what you say? Because then it'll be fantastic...

I wouldn't call the Thunderbolt puny, ever. However, the Timberwolf is the mech that can do it all.

#85 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:54 AM

The Thunderbolt can be fun, but it is a different league compared to the TW. Even the silly quirked MPL build has a big armour/mobility/range disadvantage, and barely keeps up with brawling TW builds on sustained DPS.

#86 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

Don't like LRMS because no skill needed, but want instant hit weapons and don't like PPCs because they require skill.

#87 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

the TDR-5SS, is a top tier mech, so it is no surprise that you are playing it well. In fact it is my top as well, 1.84, with the dragon 1N at 1.71. Both are considered over quirked mechs, and tops of the IS world.

Oddly my pre-quirk cataphract 3D comes in at 1.74, a mech that these days is thought of as just average, so not sure if i would hold the same, or go down in today's environment, though i have played some cataphracts drops and i did have fun, just not enough to really say.

In comparison, next in line are a pair of mediums, cicada 3M at 1.58, and the cent AH at 1.54, both mechs are again considered decent, but not tops, but both are mechs i have played a good amount since the quirks hit. I find the AH one heck of a brawler, and the 3M a great scout/flanker even in the current meta. (both are mechs i have also used in my Drop deck as well, and did decent in them even in CW PUGs)

My point is, it really is more about how you pilot, if you are playing one of the better mechs. Some people just jell better with certain mechs. It is how the game is. I have never played any clans so i can't really comment if i would do better in um or not. I do own 3 adders that i will eventually get around too but when that will be, i dunno.

I would not hold my breath that if you got a timber you would instantly be even better in it. as i stated, some mechs, people just don't do well with. For me, i do far better with shorter duration weapons, and short ranged weapons for the most part, I like to brawl, what can i say.. Other people are better snipers, of gauss or PPC gods.

For me clans are not really high on my list as my main goals are to Get all mechs to +1.0 KDR, and get um all outfitted complete with modules. and some are a tough road, as i played um a when i started when i was not that good, or i should say, not as good as i am now. Good is all retaliative, to some comp folks i probably am still not all that hot. One day i will move on to clans.. Should only take me a few more years :P, and probably after things are a lot more balanced.. I like doing things the hard way i guess!

Good luck if you buy a timber, and turn into one of those Dirty Clanners!!!!!!

Edited by JC Daxion, 01 October 2015 - 11:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users