Speak To Me Of The D-Dc...

30 replies to this topic

#1 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

An Atlas D-DC intrigues me. Something like a LRM10 for general harassment...two SSRM2 because I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a shotgun...the obligatory AC20...my very own ECM...and two large lasers? And max armor?

What do you all think of this mech? I'm not ready to buy anything...long way to go to get my Jester through elites...but it intrigues me nonetheless.

#2 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:53 AM

This is my build, a classic I think: AS7-D-DC
Makes most things explode in 1-2 shots. Try it. LRM on an Atlas, and especially the D-DC make a waste of an Atlas.

#3 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:04 AM

It's a strong infighter if you pack it with SRMs and an AC20, however it's still 100t and getting into range can be the real struggle, especially if you drop into Alpine Peaks or if teams decide to fight at range on River City.

Trying to build it for long range is just going to get you outshot by Stalkers, Battlemasters, Dire Wolfs etc. Anything with either more firepower or better hardpoint locations. Your weapons are too low, your size is too large, and your speed is too sluggish to really poke effectively.

2x large lasers, an AC20, two SSRM2s and an LRM10 is not enough firepower to warrant bringing something as cumbersome as an Atlas. Both the LRM10 and SSRMs are essentially wasted tonnage if you encounter anything with ECM, and they simply don't represent substantial firepower in any case.

UndeadEdd's build is the tried, tested and true D-DC build.

#4 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:40 AM

I'm not even close to a mech purchase.

But as I said, 100 tons of mean with ECM? Intriguing.

How does a 48kph mech with only 270m of range even get close to the enemy? Inquiring minds would like to know.

#5 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:59 AM

Hi Chados,

The DDC is a huge and usually slow mech.

Moving around on those things requires a lot of practice, situation awareness and a good eye for positioning.
But in the right hands, especially with the build provided by UndeadEdd (or a slight variation of it) can turn a match around!

As you can see, the mech can be "fast" for a 100 ton assault.
But even on a smaller engine (never EVER use XL on an Atlas), by virtue of the ECM, the Atlas can move around unnoticed if done correctly.

Even I, with limited experience compared to a lot of players, am able to do some short-flanking maneuvers and surprise the hell out of the enemies last assaults.

Of course, in close quarters, this particular build of the DDC is a monster. On the other hand, do NOT ever get spotted in the open. You will notice the mech takes a while to move out and also to fire back at distances of over 400 meters.

TL:DR - Atlas can be slow but its power can cover that small issue. Just learn how to move with a 100 ton mech and how to position yourself (say bye-bye to the peeking game, too slow to move back, too long exposed to enemy fire, not effective).

And I can't stress this enough: LRMs on a DDC are a waste of tonnage for you and your team.

#6 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:29 AM

View PostChados, on 02 September 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

How does a 48kph mech with only 270m of range even get close to the enemy? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Swap in a 350, making it 62kph with speed tweak.

Combine that with a thorough understanding of map geography and it's the bare minimum that allows you to get into range. You have to advance through areas that conceal you from the enemy, and then basically ambush them when they try to poke out from their own corner. You don't really play offensively so much as aggressively defensive, if that makes sense.

Still, there are many situations where you simply don't have enough of an edge to pull through- too big, too slow, and weapons mounted too low.

#7 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:31 AM

normally I pack an LRM 15 or 20 on an assault mech for long range support when I am getting to the battlefield.
AS7-D-DC
This is my remake of your build using an LRM 15 instead and a slightly larger engine then stock for better speed.
I left 1 ton for what ever ammo you think you needed the most (note: ammo allocation is not done properly- do it to how YOU want it to be)

If you lower the engine you can go for 2 x large pulse lasers. another option is dropping all the missiles for a bunch of SRM launchers or giving the AC 20 away for 2 LBX 10's.

#8 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

The D-DC is excellent mech for brawl situations.

The medium lasers, in combination with the SRMs and the powerfull AC/20 is a excellent build.

However getting in range is the interesting part. Too agressive and it will cost your life without teamates around you, too lay back and you do barely damage because other did the work already.

Still, there are many situations where you simply don't have enough of an edge to pull through- too big, too slow, and weapons mounted too low.

Which is the interesting part! ;)

My advice would be to stay around second line. Let the medium tank a little bit for you and when you see chances or opportunities you should go for it.

Avoid peeking at all times, it will cost you armor, which you will need it in the long run.

I would not recommend packing LRMs or streaks on the D-DC. (The S howver is different, one rack can be applied there)

Edited by Sarlic, 02 September 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:15 AM

Most ppl see the Atlas DDC either as outdated stealthed brawler, as oneside wonder or simple as liability to their team, because its weaknesses are well known to most pilots and relatively easy to exploit. ( tall, low weapon mounts, clumsy movement, three different weapontyps, maingun easy to spot and take out )

What most ppl ignore is the DDCs role as commando mech for group drops and electronics carrier.
With its quirks beeing negligible and its ability to carry all possible electronics while still having a considderable weapons loadout a dropcommander in a DDC has twice the normal sensor range, can disable two enemy ecms at a time and gets near instantanious status information about any targeted enemy mech.

AS7-D-DC Dropcommander Its a pain to be leveled though and ultimately a mech that can not hold its own in a fight.

AS7-D-DC Hillarity; For those hating the AC20 as much as I do. There will be lots of ppl pratteling away at you about how much of a no go the LB-X is due to its distributing damage. On the other hand if have to go close to an enemy anyways ( AC20 ololol ) you can do so with 2 weapons firing next to four times as fast at the same range with next to assured hits.
Be carefull though, firing everything may be a bit hot. It may not be a competitive pinpoint killer build but you will reap nicely through pugs you'll have fun and a lot of booom

Since i've read some of Your other posts I know you love LRMs.....THE ATLAS IS NOT AN LRM MECH
It does not have enough tubes.
The more tubes per volley the lesser percentage of missels per flight are eleminated by AMS.
Further your Atlas is too slow and clumsy to get into desireable firing positions.

If you just cant resist.....DDC Trollking; This Mech is not a real help to your team. The XL makes you vulnerable to ppl trying to take out your main gun and the low tubecount will make your LRM volleys quite ineffective. You can try to look around corners using tag to mark foes and then lurming them but it will do you little good due to high dps clanmechs. Dont think about using a Gauss it increases your vunlnerability regarding your side torsii.

Edited by The Basilisk, 02 September 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#10 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

Yes, I do love my LRMs. But no, I'm not looking to build an assault LRM carrier, I'd use a Stalker 3H if I wanted an über-Catapult. Which, by the way, I haven't ruled out but I see it like this: If I want to drop and just LRM it up I already have three mastered Catapult missile carriers for that.

No, what I want to do, darn it, is get in and BRAWL. Yeah, I would always like to pack a few LRMs so I have something to shoot with those times I'm stuck behind obstacles or moving in to grapple with the bad guys in River City, sure, but I can't see building a 100-ton platform around them exclusively. I don't even do that with Catapults, I always have as close to a 20-point alpha in my secondary armament in missile Catapults as I can get, even.

I'm working on my Jester and K2 and I suck but there are flashes of What Could Be and frankly, it's just as much fun as LRMing, just in a different way. I like the ECM and electronics package in the D-DC and the ability to pack a Real Big Gun and 100+ points of CT armor. But it's not going to be anytime soon that I drop the Cbills to get into assaults because I have a Catapult K2 and four lights I need skill up first, after I finish the Jester. Need to eat what on my plate first. But I'm fishing for ideas. Lot of folks like the Banshee and Battlemaster. But I would like to bring ECM to the battlefield as well as big guns. I like the LB-X 10 build very much.

#11 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

Patience. You either stay with the largest group under cover until it's time to brawl or you pick a flank (or one is chosen for you based on your spawn) and advance under cover and your own personal ecm. The latter requires good map knowledge, both in terms of terrain and expected enemy activity. If you engage too quickly under either circumstance you are going to have a bad day. Once engaged, you are there to stay so make it count. Keep dishing out the pain until you have nothing left to dish. I run srm4's and LL instead of mediums for those times when you absolutely have to shoot something at rang. I also generally don't use alpha strikes. 3 groups fired in sequence as the heat allows once in the brawl.

#12 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

I so very should not go here. But the Atlas is calling me...I hear its siren song softly wafting across the battlefield....

Darn it, I'm too into the lore. In MechCommander, an IS Atlas vs. Elementals looked like a fat guy swatting flies. I've loved the AS7 ever since and no other assault class "speaks" to me in the same way. I was >< that close to buying a Mauler pack and just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

If I dood it...I'll get a whippin'....

#13 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:00 AM

try the trial banshee first if you didn't yet
some people cannot tolerate the speed and agility of assaults...

#14 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

I have. The only thing I don't like is the heat issue from all that energy boating. It's still under consideration. No hurries, rebalancing is said to be coming and one wants to see what happens 9/22.

#15 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostChados, on 05 September 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

I have. The only thing I don't like is the heat issue from all that energy boating. It's still under consideration. No hurries, rebalancing is said to be coming and one wants to see what happens 9/22.

Curious as well.

#16 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

If you are concerned about range you should run a pair of LL in the arms, though LPL was more fun for me personally.

If you run those you'll need to downsize your missile ST to 3 SRM-4 (w/o Artemis). Always run the AC/20 in the DDC. It will be the first weapon that gets destroyed without fail but it paired with the SRMs shocks your opponent.

#17 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

Run the classic CQ Atlas

2 ML
1 AC20
3 X ASRM6
ECM
Std 350

Radar Dep, & Cooldowns

Requires lots of patience and self-control. Don't get 'baited', stick with a group (in pugs, they may abandon you so look for assaults to hang with). Flank or intercept from 'shadows' as often as possible. Know the map. Choose your battles carefully. Rushing in like a kamikaze does not help you or the team.

I avoid LL's - although it does some range damage, it reveals my position from a distance that will alert the snipers with a better range loadout and (even if there is cover) the lights (like piranha) to my position. Wait to close in before unleashing. Occasionally you'll miss the bulk of the action (snipefest, etc). Usually not. Would rather use the weight saved by ML for more ammo,armor or artemis.

Of course, the makeup and quality of your team is a factor....as well as your own occasional brain burp.

Early on achieved crazy damage scores often. now with TeamSpeak and the abilities of some of the more recent mechs and players, the results can range equally across the spectrum - death practically right out of the gate, 1,000+ damage and anything in between.

It is a lot of fun unleashing that kind of punishment in a group, and surprising a lone mech turning a corner.....but it will only happen if you use your head.

Edited by Chillbill, 07 September 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#18 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 02 September 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

can disable two enemy ecms at a time

How so? One ECM can only cancel one ECM. There is no way to cancel multiple, unless there's something I'm missing.

Undead Edd, I'd get rid of the artemis which would let you max out the armor in the legs, and if you shave a little off the head you'll have one ton left over for either ammo or another heat sink.

#19 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

Okay, I feel this question hasn't been given enough consideration yet, and as a brawler myself, I'd be more than happy to help.

First off, whilest I don't have the DDC myself, I do have a Pocket Atlas in the form of an Orion with a similar load out. AC20, SRM6 x2, Medium Laser x2, STD engine.

The best use is as an ambusher, lying in wait in the path of the enemy so that they push in on you and get a face full of hurt, hopefullly with enough teammates to back you up, if not your hoping that the first mech stalls in the face of overwhelming firepower, cuz otherwise a good team will march over you. (Don't worry, you can still get some great damage in if you override.)

Now, often enough the enemy team may not be considerate and follow this plan, so sometimes you hafta take the fight to them. Two ways to do it. One, join your teams push in the middle. As a non firing mech you tend to get targeted less, though you'll usually share some damage, an your team should get you into range for some proper brawling. In CW this is how I mostly see DDC's used, as the core of an enemy push, due to the ECM coverage. Thier like little mobile command posts with a guard detail until they get close enough to open up.

Now, sometimes it's your own team that's not considerate of your needs. In these instances, you must needs make full use of your map knowledge and find a path towards the enemy with the least amount of open ground to cover. You need to either, be able to shoot anyone that stumbles on you, or make it to safety if their outta range. Pulling back behind cover an forcing the enemy to come to you is the most common tactic for getting a 'fair fight.' (Note, fights with extremely short range builds are not, in fact, fair. That's kinda their point.)

This can be rather hard on some maps, but whilest pugging, is often the route you hafta go when both teams decide to have a snipe off. There is a reason my Pocket Atlas doesn't get much use.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 07 September 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#20 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

Surprise Atlas is best Atlas.

DDC has ECM, makes it a tad easier for the sneaky part of playing Atlas. Otherwise, pretty much as shown, you let team mates find the enemy, you move into position, and then you use perfect timing to step out and FACEWREKZ.

None of that "lead the charge" ********. People will want you to, and you can, sort of, lead the team to a position, but you need to hold back fire until the time is right.

I am not going to sugar coat it, playing something like an Atlas is not easy. You have to position right, you have to pilot right, you have to time it right. You are an aggro magnet with the looks of the mech, and it's reputation. A lot of people fail at it. If you do it well, people WILL remember.

oh, for good measure, the Atlas' pilots catch phrase and it's origins:

Edited by Eldagore, 07 September 2015 - 12:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users