258 replies to this topic

#101 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

I swear, you guys are cramming the square pegs into round barrels now just to spite us :angry:

Other than that. It looks good.

#102 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 September 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

NOW SHOW THE MAULER WITHOUT MISSILES EQUIPPED!

Well I would think that since its not an Omni mech, that it wont look much different then it does not, just no missile tubes, and big empty space. Remember, IS mech are what they are. They are not easily configurable. not modular. Its not like with a Timber Wolf, which is omni (and not just meaning the "pods" but also the modular weapons themselves). Not much is built in structurally. its a very flexible platform that can mix and match easily With IS mechs, its part of the overall design and probably cant be removed. Well, if they are sticking to Lore, thats what I expect at least.

#103 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 03 September 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

Well I would think that since its not an Omni mech, that it wont look much different then it does not, just no missile tubes, and big empty space. Remember, IS mech are what they are. They are not easily configurable. not modular. Its not like with a Timber Wolf, which is omni (and not just meaning the "pods" but also the modular weapons themselves). Not much is built in structurally. its a very flexible platform that can mix and match easily With IS mechs, its part of the overall design and probably cant be removed. Well, if they are sticking to Lore, thats what I expect at least.

BLR without the missile racks is much sleeker - it's why I run them that way.

#104 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Thunderbolt also ditches the missile pods when you don't equip any, does it not?

#105 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 03 September 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

BLR without the missile racks is much sleeker - it's why I run them that way.

I don't disagree with that, and I understand the desire to have the missile space removed completly. but the Rack on the Battle Master is just that, a bolt on Rack, not part of the structure. The Mauler missile are, when you look at most pictures, built into the Side torso. So like other mechs that have built in torso Misses like a Cent, Awe, etc the space will just be empty. I could see MAYBE shaving off a little, but not to much.

#106 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

I guess it is time to pull my old standby out to test the new mech. The Raven 4X, who needs ECM when you shoot them in the back.

Or a Battlemaster Awesome or stalker for bringing the rain.

So time to identify weak points and exploit them.

#107 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 03 September 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

I don't disagree with that, and I understand the desire to have the missile space removed completly. but the Rack on the Battle Master is just that, a bolt on Rack, not part of the structure. The Mauler missile are, when you look at most pictures, built into the Side torso. So like other mechs that have built in torso Misses like a Cent, Awe, etc the space will just be empty. I could see MAYBE shaving off a little, but not to much.

Honestly, I agree with you on both points (that IS mechs shouldn't be able to shape-change as much, and that the Mauler definitely shouldn't), even though it's not particularly advantageous for me (I don't run Clan mechs).

#108 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 03 September 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Thunderbolt also ditches the missile pods when you don't equip any, does it not?

As do mech like the SH with the round tubes on the shoulders. Thats not my point. Those "tubes" on the Mauler are not "Bolt On". Its part of the total structure.

Again I could be wrong and probably am, but now we are turning standard IS mechs into Omni Mechs with pods. Which in essence they have with all of the easy config. So Im sure I will be wrong :-)

Edited by AdamBaines, 03 September 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#109 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 03 September 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

As do mech like the SH with the round tubes on the shoulders. Thats not my point. Those "tubes" on the Mauler are not "Bolt On". Its part of the total structure.

Again I could be wrong and probably am, but now we are turning standard IS mechs into Omni Mechs with pods. Which in essence they have with all of the easy config. So Im sure I will be wrong :-)

Agreed, but historically, PGI has had the geometry change shape, so I'd expect the same with the Mauler. This despite the fact the shoulder racks are one of the more distinctive features of this mech.

#110 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 03 September 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

This despite the fact the shoulder racks are one of the more distinctive features of this mech.

Just like Mad Cat's ears, Thunderbolt's missile drum, even Hunchback's hunch (i've seen a few completely hunchless hunchbacks, 4J energy boats for the most part, i thinks)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 03 September 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#111 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 03 September 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

Just like Mad Cat's ears, Thunderbolt's missile drum, even Hunchback's hunch (i've seen a few completely hunchless hunchbacks.)

Exactly my point. If only the Catapult could lose its dumbo ears...

#112 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 03 September 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

Exactly my point. If only the Catapult could lose its dumbo ears...

I think the problem is that the ears are its arms. If they were part of its side torso, you'd probably see earless catapults everywhere. (though i would be interested in seeing weaponless ears of catapults turning into flat shields, not unlike the ones on Cicada or the Raven)
Posted Image

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 03 September 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#113 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

If you don't have any missiles in the arms why do you care if they get shot at?

#114 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 03 September 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

Wow that's a OLD screen shot. Original Mech lab, right?

#115 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 03 September 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Wow that's a OLD screen shot. Original Mech lab, right?

Pretty sure. I just took it from Google image search.
I'm currently on my laptop and can't access the game to take a screenshot myself.

Also, that pic clearly shows off the thing i'm talking about.

#116 Nexano

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFrom There

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

Well without rocked slots it will be fine i guess. Otherwise its just free target practice and armor increase won't fix that. Currently meta is dictated by geometry. And IS in huge disadvantage now. This one looks fine only without rockets. Keep waiting for BK and crab. If PGI fail this pack same as first one, it will be my last time when i'm buy something from them. Currently each new clan pack flipping balance. Each new IS balance change nothing only giving clan new shooting targets. I'ts not i don't like R1 pack(well that's a lie i guess cause GH useless trash and all R variants are most useless in their class) but it's still nothing to do with meta and clans like stormcrow, ebon jaguar and arctic cheater(yes it's all about geometry).

#117 Bombadil

No Guts No Galaxy

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Tina will be posting the LRM-less pics shortly :)

#118 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

View PostBombadil, on 03 September 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

Tina will be posting the LRM-less pics shortly :)

Posted Image

#119 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostNexano, on 03 September 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

Well without rocked slots it will be fine i guess. Otherwise its just free target practice and armor increase won't fix that. Currently meta is dictated by geometry. And IS in huge disadvantage now. This one looks fine only without rockets. Keep waiting for BK and crab. If PGI fail this pack same as first one, it will be my last time when i'm buy something from them. Currently each new clan pack flipping balance. Each new IS balance change nothing only giving clan new shooting targets. I'ts not i don't like R1 pack(well that's a lie i guess cause GH useless trash and all R variants are most useless in their class) but it's still nothing to do with meta and clans like stormcrow, ebon jaguar and arctic cheater(yes it's all about geometry).

IS is not at a huge disadvantage, considering geometry largely boils down to how high is your cockpit and how high are your (energy and ballistic) hardpoints. The 2 absolute best chassis in the game in that respect are the Battlemaster and Banshee, with the Stalker not far behind. Clan mechs actually tend to have low mounted cockpits and weapons.

The Mauler has reasonable height torso ballistics actually, and a high up cockpit, but yes those missile racks will be fire magnets if they dont shrink.. might be better than getting CTd, assuming you runa STD.

Also, the Grasshopper 5P is an absolute beast. It has literally the best stats of any mech in my stable after 60 games. I dont like the other hoppers though, so if you havent tried it there is that.

#120 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

Images without the missiles as requested!

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users