20 replies to this topic

#1 NiceGirl13

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:48 AM

Hello everyone

I am rather new to the game and still have tons to learn, so i was wondering is the mech shadowcat worth it? and can it be a good sniper (between 600-800m)?

The reason i ask is becuase i purchased the other day 7800 MC and i can see that Shadowcat is now available for MC:

http://mwomercs.com/...mo-pattern-sale

I also saw on youtube Sidestrafe testing the SHC-A version (love the M.A.S.C) and its speed.

but still, is it worth 3160MC for one mech? i know i need 3 of the same chasis to improve it, or do you guys have any other suggestions to use my MC on?

thanks in advanced

Nicegirl13

#2 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:53 AM

View PostNiceGirl13, on 04 September 2015 - 02:48 AM, said:

but still, is it worth 3160MC for one mech? i know i need 3 of the same chasis to improve it, or do you guys have any other suggestions to use my MC on?

if you want to buy them for $$ consider to buy them here for 60$ 3 arctic cheaters and 3 shadow cats, it's much cheaper per 1 mech than to buy them with mc... if you need 2 arctic cheetahs of course

also they are a decent sniper but you can snipe just as well in a lot of other mechs which you can buy for c-bills for free

upd well if you buy them a la carte it's more expensive since it's just a medium and is rather cheap in mc (~15.8$ for mc (~17.3$ with a mechbay) vs ~18.3$ a la carte (it includes a mechbay); i got used to the price of heavier mechs hence my earlier advice :3) but it's still cheaper if you buy them in a pack since you get some additional content and 3 arctic cheaters which is a great mech, the best light existing currently (10$ per mech + additional content)

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 04 September 2015 - 03:11 AM.

#3 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:08 AM

Good sniper but required skill.

I also agree if you use real money pay with it for real money

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:23 AM

I agree it can be a great long range fire support platform, it is fairly fast, has high mounted hardpoints and has a lot of jumpjets allowing easy repositioning. It has enoygh tonnage for a gauss and 2 ERML or a few large energy weapons

If you want to get it I advise ether getting the Shadow Cat pack so you get some colours, cammi, cockpit items, premium time and Mechs with a 30% cbills earnings boost as well as ACH, it is a good light, probably the best general purpose Light, however it is not outright better than other Lights, Firestarter is a better harrasser, Spider is a better scout, Kit Fox, adder and Urban Mech have more available tonnage ect.

Or just wait a month untill it is available for Cbills

#5 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:21 AM

It works fine as a sniper, but there are better options, like 3xERLL or 2xLPL+1xERLL Hellbringer. I wouldn't buy SCats with real money right now.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 04 September 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 04 September 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

It works fine as a sniper, but there are better options, like 3xERLL or 2xLPL+1xERLL Hellbringer. I wouldn't buy SCats with real money right now.

isn't the hellbringer have worse jumpjet height, slower, less high hard points (that are as high as relative to it's own mech ie the shadowcats) and have MASC to out accelerate even locusts? =P

#7 Khujjo

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:34 AM

I would recommend just waiting until it is out for c bills in the next couple of weeks. Maybe use your MC on a Hero mech when they go on sale (sales occur frequently). The hero comes with 30% c bill increase. Clan Heros should start arriving sometime, maybe.

#8 NiceGirl13

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

Ah okay so it Will be available for c-bill?

#9 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

View PostNiceGirl13, on 04 September 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

All non-hero mechs eventually are (exception maybe for Urbanmech).

Don't by a SHC if you're a new player, IMO. It's an exercise in frustration.

#10 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

View PostNiceGirl13, on 04 September 2015 - 02:48 AM, said:

Hello everyone

I am rather new to the game and still have tons to learn, so i was wondering is the mech shadowcat worth it? and can it be a good sniper (between 600-800m)?

The reason i ask is becuase i purchased the other day 7800 MC and i can see that Shadowcat is now available for MC:

http://mwomercs.com/...mo-pattern-sale

I also saw on youtube Sidestrafe testing the SHC-A version (love the M.A.S.C) and its speed.

thanks in advanced

Nicegirl13

Yes, the Scat makes for a good sniper, in fact, my favorite Scat config is the Prime with a Gauss and 3 tons of ammo with 2x ERMLs and a Scat B left ST so you can mount ECM. The weight will be very tight and you will need to move some armor around and do some shaving here and there, but sense you will mostly be sniping its not to much of an issue.

Also make sure you have a dark camo colors on, this is one of those instances where the camo actually is useful in helping to conceal you other then tricking out the color and pattern on your mech like a hot rod. Recommend dark green and browns.

With proper cover, and you are only using your Gauss, most enemies will not see you. Maps like, Veridion Bog, Forest Colony, Mining Collective, and HPG Manafold (up on the wall), you can hide and snipe people with impunity.

I will have to admit though, its a mech that requires skill to use to its full potential.

Edited by Coralld, 04 September 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#11 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

Wait for c-bill Scats, use mc on premium time and xp conversion sales.

#12 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostNiceGirl13, on 04 September 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

Wait a couple more weeks and yes it will be available for Cbill purchase. As much as I love my scats, and trust me I love the little bugger to pieces. At this point you being a new player, it would be smarter just to try them out for Cbills and see if they fit your play style.

#13 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 04 September 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

isn't the hellbringer have worse jumpjet height, slower, less high hard points (that are as high as relative to it's own mech ie the shadowcats) and have MASC to out accelerate even locusts? =P

More firepower, more sustained firepower due to more heatsinks. More armor to take return fire. Actually firepower the biggest thing that makes most light/small medium pure snipers not-so-great in an actual game. Taken an 2xERLL Spider, Raven or whatever and it can fire and fire all match, and still end up with only 300-400 damage at the end. I've seen this so many times and it's annoying. SCat should do better than that, but it's still going to be its biggest weakness.

The hardpoint height/placement is about the same with HBR and SHC. JJs and ~20kph extra speed is nice but it doesn't matter if you cannot contribute the necessary firepower to make a difference in the game.

Btw how do you expect a SHC to outrun a Locust anyway? Your best defense against a Locust is to kill it.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 04 September 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

Out accelerate not out run, the SHC when using MASC gets much faster acceleration (can get up to speed faster) , which gives it in theory the best acceleration of any Mech

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Haven't played one yet, but it has a lot of versatility, like all clan mechs, as well as decent speed for it's size and very good positioning of it's hardpoints (nice and high, not slung low like many mechs).

Personally I find Heavy mechs to fullfil the sniper role a bit better, generally they bring more available tonnage to bring heavy hitting long range weapons, and fast mediums are better in roles where they can use speed to harass, flank, and escape.

#16 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

Um sure I guess you can do a test to prove it one way or another, it doesn't matter. End result is that if a Locust really wants to run down a medium, it can. Just leg or kill the damn thing which a heavy sniper can do.

My advice to new players though is not to get too comfortable with the pure sniper role because it's not the best way to contribute to a match. There's a whole other thread on that topic so I won't repeat all the arguments.

#17 NiceGirl13

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thank you so much for all the replies, love that this community is willing to help us newcomers :)

#18 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

It's pretty fun as a 2xCERPPC + ECM plinker.

I echo the MC / cbill sentiments above.

You'll eventually find yourself wanting to use all your MC to buy more and mooooore mechbays and using cbills for mechs.

#19 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

There are better platforms for sniping. Not that the Cat is bad, but it's not top-end.

Mostly, though, I'd like to echo BlackhawkSC- you do not want to start playing the game from a pigeonhole. First learn to function generally, then develop your specializations. You could be very surprised by what you work better with and what 'mechs you play better as.

As far as your MC go, I'd say save them until either:
  • 'Mech bays are on sale. These are reasonably priced as is, but they're the only thing that comes close to a must-have in this game, and when they're on sale, it's a steal.
  • You see a hero 'mech go on sale that's a variant for a chassis you already play and know you do well in.

You're a new player, you don't want to make a regrettable purchase. One of my RL friends got in as a Founder and also bought himself a KTO-GB- the Golden Boy Kintaro- because it was an available hero 'mech and had LRMs, without having driven Kintaros before and without having first gained a firm grasp on 'mech construction. The 'mech is currently still sitting in his bays, never driven and he doesn't even have the full complement of Basic efficiencies with it, because it's a poor fit for him and besides that is largely a worse version of one of the C-bill Kintaros.

Generally speaking, don't buy a 'mech for MC (or real money) until you're sure you're going to want it for itself, rather than for a role it can fulfill. At this point, if there's a role a 'mech can play in the game, one of the 'mechs currently available for C-bills can fill that role without costing you real money.

#20 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:27 PM

I think the shadow cat is a great sniper, but if you're new and looking for a versatile clan medium buy stormcrows. They are quick for their size and can take an absolute beating. Again shadow cats make good snipers (high mounts, JJ's and ecm), but they are not very forgiving when someone returns fire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users