26 replies to this topic

#1 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:52 AM

Having triple monitors is great for a game like MWO, but due to some bad UI design and code there are a few bugs.

In the Mechlab, the left 3rd is missing, showing space.
When trying to do anything in the MechLab, everything is way out to the left, when it should be in the middle.
Hover over prompts and mech info span two screens
Posted Image
Loading screens are super streched.
When playing, mechs and objects often turn invisible when you try and look at them.

I just spent $900 on this setup, almost exclusively to play MWO on, but it turns out it's really buggy experience.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to quickly switch between nVidias "Surround" and regular display, that'd be great. The CTRL-ALT-S thing isn't working for me

Edited by Troutmonkey, 04 September 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

is MWO even supposed to support this setup?

#3 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 04 September 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to quickly switch between nVidias "Surround" and regular display, that'd be great. The CTRL-ALT-S thing isn't working for me

For the keyboard shortcuts, sometimes you have to close some applications otherwise it won't work and yes, turning surround off will switch it to a single monitor, no way around this.

This game looks decently well on a triple monitor setup but do know that games usually aren't configured for this, generally showing some distortions on the extremities, something MWO shows very clearly.

View PostLily from animove, on 04 September 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

is MWO even supposed to support this setup?

Not allot of games that I know off officially support multi-monitor setups.

#4 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostKira_Onime, on 04 September 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:

For the keyboard shortcuts, sometimes you have to close some applications otherwise it won't work and yes, turning surround off will switch it to a single monitor, no way around this.

This game looks decently well on a triple monitor setup but do know that games usually aren't configured for this, generally showing some distortions on the extremities, something MWO shows very clearly.

Not allot of games that I know off officially support multi-monitor setups.

Kinda makes me wish I went AMD. Eyefinity is really easy to set upand is good at switching with automatic game profiles and stuff. Ah well, next time.

MWO in game does look good, and the extra monitors really do give you an edge in combat as well as just being far more immersive. Tried a couple of other games, Witcher 3 doesn't run well and distorts a lot, but DiRT Rally looks really good. Considering getting a wheel so I can do cockpit view.

Posted Image

Edited by Troutmonkey, 04 September 2015 - 08:38 AM.

#5 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 04 September 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

Kinda makes me wish I went AMD. Eyefinity is really easy to set upand is good at switching with automatic game profiles and stuff. Ah well, next time.

Meh AMD....
I'd run 3 monitors as well but after getting 40FPS on forest colony in the TRAINING GROUNDS I turned it off.

#6 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostKira_Onime, on 04 September 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Meh AMD....
I'd run 3 monitors as well but after getting 40FPS on forest colony in the TRAINING GROUNDS I turned it off.

My single 970 can run it on Ultra fine, provided I turned of AA. Anything 30FPS+ is fine for me.

#7 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 04 September 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

My single 970 can run it on Ultra fine, provided I turned of AA. Anything 30FPS+ is fine for me.

Meh... I don't like sub 60.
If it can't hold a steady 60, then it's a no go for me.

#8 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostKira_Onime, on 04 September 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

Meh... I don't like sub 60.
If it can't hold a steady 60, then it's a no go for me.

What's your hardware / settings? I can't get this to run more than 60 during combat. Best I get is 70 just before the game starts.

#9 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 04 September 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

What's your hardware / settings? I can't get this to run more than 60 during combat. Best I get is 70 just before the game starts.

i7-4770k
Gtx 970 4gb
16gb ram

On triple screens I drop everything to high with a handfull of demanding ones at low or off. No AA.
Was able to get 60+FPS in training grounds but that's not promising for actual gameplay as it depdsn to drop 20-30FPS.

#10 scruffy416

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 04 September 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

...but DiRT Rally looks really good. Considering getting a wheel so I can do cockpit view.

Do it. Only thing better would be an HMD, but that'll be mid-2016 I'm betting - 3-monitor for driving games is where it's at. Spotting the apex in one of the side monitors as you're hittomg a turn is just awesome. Your lap times will improve.

I'd also recommend the Logitech G27 wheel - probably find it for cheap now that Logitech has a newer one out there. I was going to recommend Assetto Corsa, but I got it for less than $30CAN - it's $55CAN now - I'd wait for a sale.

#11 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 04 September 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Having triple monitors is great for a game like MWO, but due to some bad UI design and code there are a few bugs.

In the Mechlab, the left 3rd is missing, showing space.
When trying to do anything in the MechLab, everything is way out to the left, when it should be in the middle.
Hover over prompts and mech info span two screens
Posted Image
Loading screens are super streched.
When playing, mechs and objects often turn invisible when you try and look at them.

I just spent $900 on this setup, almost exclusively to play MWO on, but it turns out it's really buggy experience.

Disable cockpit glass that solves most of the invisible mechs issues

#12 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:50 AM

View PostMycrus, on 07 September 2015 - 11:05 PM, said:

Disable cockpit glass that solves most of the invisible mechs issues

Doesn't fix it, only fixes the weird side monitor issue where it wouldn't update the view.

I've cropped this video to 1920*1080, but you can still see disappearing mechs and objects

Word from PGI

Yeah we're currently aware of this issue, as it's specifically an issue related with Nvidia Surround and AMD Eyefinity. We're currently working hard on getting this fixed in the near future, however at the moment the only real workaround for this is to turn off Eyefinitiy/Surround , which I understand isn't really ideal.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 08 September 2015 - 05:53 AM.

#13 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:52 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 08 September 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

Doesn't fix it, only fixes the weird side monitor issue where it wouldn't update the view.

I've cropped this video to 1920*1080, but you can still see disappearing mechs and objects

Word from PGI

try AA off... I'm using triple screens as well... the flickering does happen at times...

#14 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

View PostMycrus, on 08 September 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

try AA off... I'm using triple screens as well... the flickering does happen at times...

AA is off, all other settings set as Very High.
Flickering is constant for me. Happened on my old AMD/ATI, and it happened before I went to triple screens. Since I moved to triple screens it's gotten much worse.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 08 September 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#15 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

1st AMD is better for multi-monitor due to eyefinity settings, so maybe what I am going to say won't be as helpful as it could be..

Flip your monitors vertical.

It gives you much larger target areas and you do not get the stretching and other issues you mentioned.

My preference is 3x 853 x 1440 = 2559x1440 , although I have 2 GPU. You may need to set custom display options, but if you do not or can not, I recommend 1440 x (720-900) per monitor.

Edited by MechregSurn, 08 September 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#16 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 08 September 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

AA is off, all other settings set as Very High.
Flickering is constant for me. Happened on my old AMD/ATI, and it happened before I went to triple screens. Since I moved to triple screens it's gotten much worse.

I'm noticing it a hell lot more now... they broke something in the rush to get the patch out I guess... grr...

View PostMechregSurn, on 08 September 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

1st AMD is better for multi-monitor due to eyefinity settings, so maybe what I am going to say won't be as helpful as it could be..

Flip your monitors vertical.

It gives you much larger target areas and you do not get the stretching and other issues you mentioned.

My preference is 3x 853 x 1440 = 2559x1440 , although I have 2 GPU. You may need to set custom display options, but if you do not or can not, I recommend 1440 x (720-900) per monitor.

you lost me at AMD... their slow ass tempo of releasing drivers means I will never switch...

#17 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

trout, are you running SLI or that single 970?

#18 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostMycrus, on 08 September 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

trout, are you running SLI or that single 970?

Single 970

#19 ACWILD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

Could it be listed in known bugs for this patch?

http://mwomercs.com/...mber-8th-patch/

#20 Razor2323

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Glad to know im not the only one with theses bugs.
all the same as OP, except AMD eyefinity on a 280x.. frame rate doesnt bother me as the ping(360-500) always has a bigger effect.
Iits a real pain trying to shoot down uavs, its as if there is a invisible square around the crosshair that obsures vision of the UAV but not everything else.
First world problems with the menus, but being unable to see in CW what chat group im talking to as the selection is obscured by the monitor borders.

I have no coding experience, but wonder if there is a setting to "center the menus" , i feel this would solve the issues.

As for the crosshair, is its "picture mask" (trying to remember Photoshop from 2000 here.... ) set properly?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users