Not Sure If I Should Buy Wolverine Please Help

21 replies to this topic

#1 LtBlam

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:10 PM

I've used many a assault mech and am currently considering buying the wolverine.
I like to tank damage and get up close and personal. I don't care too much about speed but I like to have a tough mech and I'm not sure if I should get the wolverine or just save up for a proper assault.

I have piloted and enjoyed the following mechs:Atlas,Banshee,Direwolf, and stalker.

Please tell me your thoughts below!
should I buy the wolverine?
save up for an assault?
or just recommend a mech!

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

some reason you are not considering heavies?

#3 LtBlam

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

what heavy would you recommend ( no clan pls)

#4 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

T-bolt with standard engine is very tanky. Though I do find the Wolverine tough for its weight. Better than the Griffin IMHO.

Edited by Spheroid, 03 October 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#5 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

I humbly recommend the Wolvie 7K - Its a fun face smashing brawler. I have found the Wolvie is still a pretty boxy target that tends to take a lot of hits, with its fewer jump jets its not as fast on the uptake to get out of a situation should you want to jump.

One question though - If you love assault mechs why go with a medium? A heavy like a T-bolt sounds more like your cup of tea. With Mediums you really are a Raider/striker/Recon/Light-hunter/Harasser, the ones I generally find are more "tanky" in the medium class are the Centy or Hunchie. If you want flexibility and versatility and being a "workhorse" for the team go Medium. Otherwise if you're use to Assaults, you'll find it a big contrast.

#6 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 03 October 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

T-bolt with standard engine is very tanky. Though I do find the Wolverine tough for its weight. Better than the Griffin IMHO.

Oh hell yeah. Griffin is a bit of a flimsy scarecrow. I'd rather be in a Wolverine any day.

#7 LtBlam

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

replying to rolly, I wanted to try something new, but mostly because mediums are cheap, but I think I'll just save my pennies to get a new DWF (I sold my original)

#8 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostLtBlam, on 03 October 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

replying to rolly, I wanted to try something new, but mostly because mediums are cheap, but I think I'll just save my pennies to get a new DWF (I sold my original)

Well its certainly different. You have a lot more freedom, less responsibility to carry and you can be a real pain in the ass by headhunting the lights and wounded mechs. You've got more fire power than a light more staying power with no obligations to get stuck in and get slaughtered in the brawl line.

#9 LtBlam

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

sounds great!

#10 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

Actually, I prefer to get stuck in in the brawl line with some mediums. a good 55 tonner like the Shadowhawk or Wolverine can down grade to a standard 170 engine and bring ridiculous amounts of firepower for it's chassis, and is just a teeny bit faster'n the team Daishi. Grab some IS Ac's and you can brawl with the rest of em.

Warning; while armed like a heavy, a down geared medium is not, in fact, as armoured as a heavy. Battlemech losses due to incoming fire caused by so called 'lack of mobility' are not the responsibility of the Mercenary Advisory Board.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 03 October 2015 - 05:40 PM.

#11 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:31 PM

Wolvies are nice, I liked the Quarantine though I never have played it much, I like the griffins, kintaros and Trebs better.

Trebs have some nice face time qualities, the Loup can boat 4 SRM6 and a pair of ML.

#12 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:28 AM

6K is the best. 3 LL nad 2 ML.

View PostLtBlam, on 03 October 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

what heavy would you recommend ( no clan pls)

Thunderbolt 5SS and Thunderbolt 9SE. First one with classic built with 7 medium ;pulse lasers and the second one with three large pulse lasers and two medium lasers.

#13 LtBlam

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:04 AM

I'm sort of starting to lean more towards assault as I absolutley love to OBLITERATE the enemy mech.

#14 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostLtBlam, on 04 October 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

I'm sort of starting to lean more towards assault as I absolutley love to OBLITERATE the enemy mech.

Mauler, Im a medium pilot. I started with the Stalkers and then discovered medium spam. But I wanted the Mauler and have not been disappointed by it. Not a brawler but has a knack for smashing things at medium to long range but still can hold its own up close.

#15 LtBlam

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the reply but I'm afraid I won't be getting the mauler before its out for c bills

#16 LtBlam

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

well, purchased the wvr 7k

#17 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostCalebos, on 04 October 2015 - 01:28 AM, said:

6K is the best. 3 LL nad 2 ML.

I like 3LL, 1ML (head), and an LRM 5, just to be as annoying as possible.

#18 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

In the Medium IS field,
- The Enforcer can carry good firepower, tank some (but nowhere near Assault level) and give you some jump ability not seen in your favorite Assaults though you can remove all JJs if you like.
- Hunchback does well, currently I find the 4SP and 4P Brawlers do well, 4J is best XL LRM or a variation of SRM / all Laser Brawler. 4H even with full weapons is tough to run, use to love it but it is not holding up to the others. Have not run the 4G in a while and the Grid Iron is good a few different ways, I just have it on hold after a lot of use during Hero tournaments.
- don't own them but a number of people like the Blackjack for its firepower.
- don't own these either but some still like the Shadow Hawk.
- Centurion can tank some on its Left Arm if you can use that right, just hard to get good firepower.
- will try Wolverines with the upcoming Anniversary one I get, the LL one is supposed to be good, other 2 are tricky to use and I know nothing on the Hero.
- Griffins are flexible in build, you just need to get used to the stride, it feels like it is strolling at speeds other Mechs are running at.

#19 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

With its quirks, the HBK-4J actually boats Medium pulse lasers better than the HBK-4P without the hump. I donno.. the Griffin 2N is a solid contender, I'm finding it hard to like the Wolverine and Shadowhawk myself. never can get in the groove piloting them. the YLW is fun with maxxed out engine, and loaded to the gills with ammo. always do really well rocking the 98kph AC20

#20 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

That Griffin-2N just does not work for me like the others did.
I will see about the Wolverine today when I get the MASC one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users