Is This Right?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Devlin

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

So, I just built my new PC, well, I took it to a shop to get it built properly and have all the drivers and such installed correctly. I'm not sure if my FPS is correct, though. I'm sitting at around low to mid 20's FPS on medium settings in the 64-bit client, with bigger drops to upper teens on Forest Colony, but I don't think it's right. Here is what I'm running:

i5-4690K w/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO fan
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming3 MoBo
16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury Ram DDR3 1866 Mhz
1TB WD Blue HDD
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
650w PSU (given by a buddy, unknown make and model)
EVGA GTX 960 SC 4GB DDR5

I'm running DX11 after it was installed with MGSV.

Everything is brand spanking new, with the exception of the PSU. I just am not sure if my FPS should be this low with the hardware I have invested in it. I can play easily, I just want to get the most out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Jake Devlin, 06 October 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

Is the CPU OC?

1. Control Panel, power options, set to High performance
2. Nvidia control panel, Power Management Mode - Prefer max performance

#3 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

Install HWMONITOR, run it, play the game for 10 minutes, see if any component is heating up to over 90C(194F).

Also, make sure the monitor is connected to the GPU, not the motherboard.

Edited by ironnightbird, 06 October 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#4 Evil Ash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

Definitely not, I run the game at 60-70fps with a weaker rig, with exception of the processor, hard drive, and PSU. I think Tarl's advice will work.

Definitely not, I run the game at 60-70fps with a weaker rig, with exception of the processor, hard drive, and PSU. I think Tarl's advice will work.

#5 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

Did you connect your monitor to the graphics card, and not the motherboard onboard connection?

#6 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:50 AM

I have a 4690 CPU and I can tell you the problem is not your CPU. When I first built the rig, I was running everything at Very High and usually never saw it dip below 40 fps and the bottleneck was in my R9 270 graphics card not the CPU.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 07 October 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#7 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

(Teh lest of your problems, but) 'Cause you're Win7, you're gon'a want Set Timer Resolution to un-derp your clocks during gameplay. If you were also an i7/ had HyperThreading, I'd additionally point you to Park Control, but maybe you could test and report, hey?

You might wan'a surf into your BIOS, and make shore your RAM is set to it's XMP numbers. You could also check to see the CPU fan's RPM ramp, while there …

I like to run HWiNFO64 and MSI Afterburner for all most of my logging needs, along with GenericLogViewer to view it properly.

I'd use Display Driver Uninstaller to reinstall your graphics driver, or else the latest update.

Yes: http://www.guru3d.com/ has most of this available, and up-to-date …

#8 A Vieira

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:39 AM

As stated above, definitely not the result you should see.

I have a similar setup with a Z97, 4690K (4.2Ghz), same cooler by the way, 8GB 1866Mhz memory, and a R9 270X 4GB (with small OC).

I run the game in DX11, 64 Bits full Windowed mode, because I have 2 monitors, and I get smooth 70fps with VSync active (because OC monitors, lol). Without it it jumps to something like 90-110fps. Not sure what my settings are now but should be a mix of medium-high settings.

I would also recommend HWMonitor and also check the values of use of CPU and GPU. At 70fps both my CPU and GPU dont run at 100% in MWO.
Also, what kind of AA have you got selected in options? Try the diferrent ones or disable it for performance testing.

Edited by A Vieira, 09 October 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#9 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Definitively should not be getting that low of an FPS.

-Go in testing grounds
-Disable any kind of AA you have
-Set everything to low/lowest or even off if possible.
-Progressively raise graphics settings until you're happy.

For reference, these are my own settings.
Posted Image

Edited by Kira Onime, 09 October 2015 - 08:27 AM.

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostKira Onime, on 09 October 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

-Disable any kind of AA you have

This is advice for Intel Integrated Graphics, and nothing else.

#11 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostGoose, on 09 October 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

This is advice for Intel Integrated Graphics, and nothing else.

Start with no AA on then start cranking up the settings.

#12 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

Ok, probably not the reason for your strangely low Performance but whenever you build/buy a PC the most quality Piece of Hardware on that PC must be the PSU bcs your whole PC will stand or fall (work reliable/crash) with that PSU!
You can buy anything cheap but never ever (!!!) use a cheap/old PSU (you can use a new PSU for >10 years but do not use second Hand PSUs) !

Use only new PSUs from known "Quality Brands"!

Dont let People/Shopclerks tell you different - they only want get rid of old/unreliable stuff!

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 06 October 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

1. Control Panel, power options, set to High performance

Quick question, as I've been wanting to try and get more performance from my computer.
1. Does this run any extra risks of damaging my computer? I don't mind it using more electricity, but if it runs a chance of burning a component out, I don't have the money to fix that.
2. I run 6700 Radeon graphics card. It gives me reasonable performance. Is there anything specific to get more from it, without undo risk? (For same reason as above.)

Thanks in advance.

#14 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

If you have to ask questions like those, you are too risk adverse in the first place: Buy a new, much bigger, comp …

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostTesunie, on 09 October 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Quick question, as I've been wanting to try and get more performance from my computer.
1. Does this run any extra risks of damaging my computer? I don't mind it using more electricity, but if it runs a chance of burning a component out, I don't have the money to fix that.
2. I run 6700 Radeon graphics card. It gives me reasonable performance. Is there anything specific to get more from it, without undo risk? (For same reason as above.)

Thanks in advance.

For the Power Options, by default the OS is for the "average consumer" /shudders. The High Performance simply stops the CPU from throttling down then back up. Generally see this as more of an issue with laptops, or running older games on newer systems.

The Nvidia power mode is to make sure the system is actually using the Nvidia card and not passing work off to the GPU that is built-in on many CPUs.

A can of compressed air, keep heatsinks clear of dust build up. Do it every month or so. Do this more so if running a laptop.

As for the nvidia and ati cards, there are overclocking software, Nvidia/Ati and other 3rd parties. I would suggest doing lots of reading before touching that or the CPU (remember, MWO is CPU speed hungry).

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 09 October 2015 - 04:50 PM.

#16 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:29 PM

Even in fullscreen mode, you shouldn't be getting those fps numbers but if you're happy with what you got, have fun, good luck and see you on the battlefield.

#17 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:53 AM

Yea That's definately not right. somethings up there.

#18 IIIIRedactedIIII

Rookie

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:04 AM

I think the major issue here is the fact that win 7 home premium is a 32 bit operating system, which means that a whole 12gb of that impressive chunk of ram isn't being used - at all.

I would recommend you upgrade your Operating system to a 64 bit so that you can experience that glory full screen.

#19 Jake Devlin

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:30 AM

UPDATE: Turns out that the simplest solutions are always the right ones.

My I was hooked into my MoBo, not my GPU, so I fixed that, and when I didn't see any difference, I simply changed to Full-Window, as opposed to Full-Screen, and since I'm using an Element TV as my monitor, I turned V-Sync on. Instant fix. Now excuse me while I go kick myself for being an idjit. Thanks for all the resources, though. I'm gonna look into them and see what all these do.

View PostRancidVeritas, on 10 October 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

I think the major issue here is the fact that win 7 home premium is a 32 bit operating system, which means that a whole 12gb of that impressive chunk of ram isn't being used - at all.

I would recommend you upgrade your Operating system to a 64 bit so that you can experience that glory full screen.

It is 64 bit. I triple checked before I bought it.

Edited by Jake Devlin, 10 October 2015 - 01:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users