#1 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:09 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...you-purchase-mc

While I'm not complaining that PGI is essentially doing add ons for MC purchases, is anyone else finding that PGI is trying to hard to milk the cow lately?

We've had the Marauder and Warhammer packages back to back, and they know most of us likely funded the BT Kickstarter (while unrelated to them financially I know). Yet despite what I imagine are two very successful packages in the span of a few weeks, they are trying to urge people to buy MC with this new sales event.

It just seems odd that they are risking a burnout. They've obviously earned a fair bit of good will with the Loyalty Mechs (heck I got all 5) but just feels like they are clawing at my already empty wallet with promises of shiny toys.

#2 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

1.12. mara
15.12. whole IIC packs (ie 12-16 new mechs).

They are doing the marketing right (from their perspective).

#3 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

There is no reason we HAVE to buy everything that comes out just because it does either. It's quite likely that on Nov 1st they will announce another classic mech that will come out in February. Seems to me people feel pressured to by them "now" because of the early adopters incentives. There's nothing wrong with passing on those if the wallet is getting thin...

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

Regular sales are good practice. If they skipped a sale in their cycle then people would be complaining "why no sale PGI?"

If you don't want to spend the money, then don't spend it. The whole point of regular sales is that they happen often, meaning that you can afford to sit them out until you are ready.

Aside from all that, who is to say that this sale wouldn't appeal to people who don't care about turn-based lance command, and who don't want Marauders or Warhammers? Offering something for more people is surely not something to complain about.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:20 AM

Holiday season incoming, fewer people in the office to work on things, so extending the flowchart over a longer period of time.

And with the new mechs incoming to set things up, there will likley be Holiday-type sales. As long as the project is going there will always be financial reasons, especially if someone took out another loan :)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 07 October 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#6 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

Again I'm not saying its a bad thing I'm just surprised how hard they are pushing sales lately.

Its highly likely that there are Halloween and Christmas decorations coming soon, there is usually another MC sale on Black Friday, etc.

#7 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

I believe it has been quite a while since they've done a MC sale like this. So it doesn't seem out of place to me.
I've always considered the mechpacks to be seperate from MC anyway and I'm guessing PGI sees it the same way.

#8 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostNori Silverrage, on 07 October 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

I believe it has been quite a while since they've done a MC sale like this. So it doesn't seem out of place to me.
I've always considered the mechpacks to be seperate from MC anyway and I'm guessing PGI sees it the same way.

Fair enough. Could be entirely different demographic targets.

#9 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:16 AM

Yeah I think it might be. MC is most useful for premium time and vanity items. If you buy a decent amount of packs you don't need either of those.
I still got almost two months of premium time left from Wave 3 so I don't need any MC. :)

#10 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostNori Silverrage, on 07 October 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

Yeah I think it might be. MC is most useful for premium time and vanity items. If you buy a decent amount of packs you don't need either of those.
I still got almost two months of premium time left from Wave 3 so I don't need any MC. :)

I hear you. I've still got 8 days active and another 210 banked. And thats without the Marauder and Warhammer premium time I believe.

#11 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

I like to watch the pgi careers page (just in case) and open positions come and go quite frequently. Even now they have like 4 specific positions open. I agree they've been really doing a lot to get our money lately, but I feel with the hiring they're doing it's more of a symptom of a free to play game (it's how they make money) than a side effect of a sinking ship. IDK, it's all conjecture at this point tho.

#12 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:29 AM

Meh. I just don't know how you call any of these deals "killer".

#13 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:30 AM

Mist Lynx-D for 30$? WHERE THE **** DO I SIGN?

#14 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:30 AM

They've done this kinda of sale before. Probably around the same time last year.

Just don't buy it guys. If you don't like the direction the game is going. Don't buy. If you don't mind it, you need extra loot with your MC, then go right ahead.

#15 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

I just love that they tend to do it right after I buy MC lol...

Luckily I buy in small amounts here and there, so all I missed out on was a mechbay by buying a day early. I have 7 free and it'll take a while to just fill those up anyway.

#16 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

Might be a little bit of strike while the iron is hot, as well. The kickstarter campaign might have redirected a few Shadowrun players over to these pages to check out the Mech designs. Could be some old school BattleTech players are jumping on board.

#17 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

You do realize that every business ever that wants to make money will always try to milk the cow as often as they can reasonably do it. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong, its just how businesses work. Sales and bonuses might get some people to spend some money. It really isn't a problem.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 07 October 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#18 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:18 AM

Since PGI doesn't use the subscription model, they've got get their money through other means. And just like you as an individual, companies can always use more money. It's not a sign of the Apocalypse, and no one is holding a gun to your head saying you have to buy everything they put up for sale. It's just how, at the very least, they keep the lights on and the servers running and the employees paid.

#19 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

So first there were the heroes that were released a few weeks before the rest of the chassis with a cbill boost to reduce the grind, and people complained about the cash grab.

Then the sales model changed to mech packs that came with full chassis compliments as well as prime mechs that had the unique geo/ paint/ cbill boost of the heroes and included bonus swag all for about the same price as the average hero, but because they offered more than one mech at a time, people assumed "cash grab" once again.

Now we get a mix of both, with single sets of a mech's chassis getting sold with primes and swag for about the same price as the average hero, but ..... Cash grab I guess.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

#20 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 07 October 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

So first there were the heroes that were released a few weeks before the rest of the chassis with a cbill boost to reduce the grind, and people complained about the cash grab.

Then the sales model changed to mech packs that came with full chassis compliments as well as prime mechs that had the unique geo/ paint/ cbill boost of the heroes and included bonus swag all for about the same price as the average hero, but because they offered more than one mech at a time, people assumed "cash grab" once again.

Now we get a mix of both, with single sets of a mech's chassis getting sold with primes and swag for about the same price as the average hero, but ..... Cash grab I guess.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

I have no problem with them trying to make money on a free to play game. I'm just curious about the possibility of a burnout on people spending money for a while at this rate. I'm aware nobody HAS to buy it.

Not that we'll EVER see such data, but I would be highly curious to how well this sales event goes, especially with most of the wily vets here remembering that there is usually a better MC sale on Black Friday.

Edited by Lorian Sunrider, 07 October 2015 - 09:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users