Game Limits

Gameplay Maps

5 replies to this topic

#1 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

Given some recent comments from PGI I was hoping to find some information on the following two points:
  • Team size
  • Map size
I would also like to add some follow up questions if we get some information back on these points.

@Russ
You mentioned in the tonnage thread about the team limit being at it's maximum of 12 per side.
I was hoping you could elaborate on that.
Is this a player limit?
Is it a mech limit?
Some restriction on the Cryengine?

In a recent DevLog the rendering process for the maps was discussed allowing for high detail and larger maps.
I am curious to know how big could a map get?
ie, would it be possible to have a map 4 times as large as the new River City?
Bigger?

Does anyone else know the answers?

Regards,

50 50

Edited by 50 50, 12 October 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#2 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:52 PM

Answers to the group weight limits are in the October roadmap:
http://mwomercs.com/...24#entry4730324

It's for play balance, not any game limitation. It's to replace the 4x3 match making.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 12 October 2015 - 10:53 PM.

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:10 PM

I too am interested to hear what would be the operational limits of Cryengine on mapize with 24 players on it?

How huge could the maps conciveably get?

Would we want the maps that big?

I know that if we ever delve into PVE missions, the maps should be gynourmous..

#4 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:06 AM

I recall one of the devs posting about the limitations on the number of mechs, and the things they had to cull from the engine to be able to run 12 vs 12. Stuff like inverse kinematics and the glorious damage textures we had were just too resource hungry on both the game client and server side when all the extra CPU cycles from extra mechs were crammed in.

It's been said that 12v12 is the limit of what can currently be run with any kind of stability, with the current state of the game engine and the average hardware level of players running it.

It's apparently a netcode thing - and not upstream and downstream data (modern PC's and data networks are easily able to cope with staggeringly large packets), but in the amount of information that has to be handled and processed quickly by the game servers and systems like HSR, and relayed to all clients attached to that particular game instance.

It all boils down to the design of the mechs and the nature of Battlemech warfare. Each mech is a huge collection of separate moving parts and draw calls, and while this is taxing by itself, it's the weapons systems that really put the screws to server hardware. Take your average CS game, with maybe 24 players. If they all lined up, firing all their weapons at the one time, they wouldn't come close to the stress put on HSR and hit detection on MWO servers - not to mention the fact that players would be dying very rapidly, and reducing the tax on their servers, where MWO slugging matches (despite a lower TTK than 8v8) can be drawn out for a long time.

Each mech has a potentially huge number of weapons, all emitting from different locations, many with very different fire modes requiring very different calculations on the game servers. Though lasers are hitscan, they are also DOT weapons, and each TIC has to be accounted for. Missile flight paths have to be tracked, and the location and impacts from every single missile have to be calculated. Gauss shells and rounds with different velocities need to be tracked. RANGES OF IMPACTS need to be tracked, and damage numbers modified and applied on the fly. There are TWO separate tracking systems linked to the crosshairs, for the arms and torsos. Convergence has to be taken into account. Damage has to be applied to very specific locations - including armour, internals, and equipment. Heat has to be tracked. AMS damage to missiles needs to be tracked. The status of ammo bins in different locations needs to be tracked. Targeting data has to be relayed - including sensor ranges, ECM concealment, and the effect of stuff like radar deprivation, TAG and NARC.

People often use newer shooters like Titanfall as a point of comparison, or even WOT, but they really don't relate to each other, especially in the pace of battle, the amount of weapons fire occuring at any one time, and the amount of terrain visible to the player. Titanfall crams in all that glorious detail by restricting the amount of architecture viewable at any one time to cut down on rendering and draw calls. How many huge, open expanses of land do you fight over? Chances are you're only viewing a small part of the overall battle, and most of your view of the map is obstructed by the cluttered design of the levels. Mechwarrior maps however are (usually) a lot more open, as you don't really get a sense of scale unless you're towering over buildings. It can make rendering expensive.

It's probably why the newer maps are so much bigger and more detailed than they used to be, while still running close to the same way they used to (or better, in my case) - their firing lines and general fields of view are generally similar to what they were before despite the increase in map size, cutting down on draw calls. It's why our larger maps still aren't hugely open. You can indeed make maps enormous, but they can't really be open and enormous without taxing hardware to the point where the minimum requirements have to be raised.

People complain a lot about the current level of optimization and the state of the engine, but there really is a lot going on under the hood. I'm not saying this from the point of view of a professional wikipedia-researching-opinion-forming nerd either; a few of the electives I took in my degree were Games engine related, and a few of my friends work in the industry and take particular glee in exposing and berating any ignorance I express. LOL, I totally just said 'trust me, i'm practically an expert'. This is all IMHO I guess, but a slightly more informed than normal level of IMHO.

TL;DR - 12v12 is probably as large as we're going to get with this engine. We can have huge maps, but fields of view still need to be restricted. The game would absolutely run better on a newer engine, but not nearly as much as people would think. In the future when the average level of game hardware raises, things could get more complex.

Edit: JESUS CHRIST I TYPED A THESIS.

Edited by Kiiyor, 13 October 2015 - 02:06 AM.

#5 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:53 AM

@Kiiyor
Thank you. That was very informative and provides a pretty good insight to how it is all fitting together..... Nice Thesis. Posted Image

I would love to also hear from the Devs on this topic and provide their insights.

Which leads to the next set of hypotheticals.
Given the complexity of the mechs and all those factors:
EDIT 23.11.2015
  • Is that something that can be optimised therefore allowing a greater number of mechs per team?
  • There has been a few topics raised about weapon convergence, while I understand that this was in the game at on point (is that correct?) it was removed due to the stress it created, probably for the above reasons you detailed there Kiiyor.
    However, I now wonder if this might be more practical with recent improvements or with less mechs in the battles?
  • If 12 v 12 is the limit for mechs, I am assuming that AI mechs cannot be added in the same match without reducing team sizes. Is it possible to add other elements player controlled or otherwise without reducing team sizes?

It seems that with the right design, maps could be 'Continental' in size.
If high detail areas contain enough breaks to line of sight to ease up on the rendering, then would it stand to reason that large open areas can be managed provided they do not contain much detail?
Tourmaline Desert/Alpine might be good examples of this.
  • Would a 'Fog of War' or a maximum draw distance allow for expansive open maps?
  • Can two detailed areas be separated by a less detailed open expanse and have the same level of performance?
What limits can we push with the game?

Given that it is possible to have a mech replaced by another one when destroyed, as we have in CW, is it possible to:
  • Add in new players to the same match when an existing player's mech is destroyed.
  • Could a battle rage on for hours without a time limit if new players can join in? (ie. have an ongoing battle with a different win condition for a team)

Edited by 50 50, 22 November 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#6 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:02 PM

Had an additional thought.

12 v 12 might be the maximum number of mechs we can have in a game, but it would stand to reason that other less complex objects and more players are certainly possible.

Consider that we can have 2 additional spectators for private matches.
I wonder how many more 'spectators' could be added.
This would be of obvious benefit towards competitions and some sort of audience/crowd option to watch Solaris matches should that eventuate.
It also suggests that we cold have a 13th player on each side as a strategic commander which would be very interesting.

Asset wise, the turrets provide evidence that we could have interactive assets in game that can participate in the combat.
Perhaps just with the limited AI that is there presently.
Perhaps directed around the map by a strategic commander.
Perhaps directly player controlled.

Food for thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users