#1 Tormund

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNorth of The Wall

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

Greetings lads!

Been a while, back in the game again.
I'm looking to put some money into the Crab, seeing how I've found myself performing best in mediums. Thing is, as much as I love how it looks and feels, I'd hate to spend cash and regret it later.

And so I look for mediums that play much like the crab, be it in terms of mobility, armor or laser-vomit. Which mechs do you recommend so I feel more at home once I get my hands on the bugger?

Heat has been my enemy from day one, so even if it doesn't play much like the crab, do recommend something that will teach me how to run a hot mech and not turn into a juicy target every 20 seconds.

#2 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostTormund, on 13 October 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

Greetings lads!

Been a while, back in the game again.
I'm looking to put some money into the Crab, seeing how I've found myself performing best in mediums. Thing is, as much as I love how it looks and feels, I'd hate to spend cash and regret it later.

And so I look for mediums that play much like the crab, be it in terms of mobility, armor or laser-vomit. Which mechs do you recommend so I feel more at home once I get my hands on the bugger?

Heat has been my enemy from day one, so even if it doesn't play much like the crab, do recommend something that will teach me how to run a hot mech and not turn into a juicy target every 20 seconds.

If you're looking for IS mediums that play kind of like the crab, the WVR-6K is the humanoid (and larger) version, but right-arm focused, the HBK-4P is also humanoid, but quite a bit smaller than the WVR (and right-torso focused), the CDA is a lighter but faster (and not-as-tough) version that would let you practice heat management, and certain variants of the BJ will let you play with lots of lasers.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:30 AM

The closest analog I can think of to the CRB is a laser ADR. Low, mid speed, somewhat fragile. I like it a lot but it has to expose too much to fire all its weapons, so it's not really high tier.

#4 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hunchback 4J is near identical in laser boat mode (the "hunch" dissapears if you don't equip missiles). You are only limited by the 275 engine cap.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 13 October 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#5 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hunchback-4P
Hunchback-4J without Missiles
maybe Hunchback-4SP without Missiles and allow you to Master Hunchbacks
2 variants of BlackJack at least
some Cicada though they are faster than other Mediums
you can run 3 variants of Enforcer with all Laser if desired

There may be a few others, I remember times when players would run a Hunchback-4G mainly Energy with MGs in all 3 Ballistic slots.

As for the Crab, 90 kph at all times (means one build before Speed Tweak, another after), you will run hot, do not expect to put out a lot of damage, you have to be very mindful of your position in the battle. See this Crab topic for more.

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

After playing with my Crab for a while...

Honestly not many other mechs combine it's tanky hit boxes with it's weapon payload for it's weight class (read as none).

The thing that makes the Crab different is the large side torso, which lets it shield and shift damage rather well. No other medium that I can think of comes close to that, that I can think of at least.

The Hunchback 4J or 4P come rather close in concept, but can't shift the damage very well.
The Cicada comes in second from my experience, as it's got the hard points in basically the right places, but it's hit boxes are larger CT than side torsos from what I've noticed as of late. Also, it goes faster, but you can always place a smaller engine into it.
The next mech I've had exprience using would be a Vindicator, which may be the closest I can think of in relation to hit boxes, and general weapons. Being 5 tons lighter though, and it's not as armored.

Not sure about the Blackjack or Wolverine hit boxes. Blackjack has those higher arm mounts, which are close but too high in comparison. Wolverine, never used one (yet). Sorry.

I'd almost be willing to say the Nova would be a decent comparison, but the Nova has that large CT nose compared to the Crab's well balanced torso hit boxes. Might still be a decent estimation of the Crab 27SL, but that wont come with any packages bought now as that was an early bird special.

Overall, I'd have to ask what are you expecting to get out of the Crab. Are you expecting a top level competitor mech? A mech that is a good midline mech? A line rusher/brawler?

Overall, I'd rate the Crab as a very good mech, but probably not a tier 1 level top competitor mech. It's good, but it isn't "that good". It's got reasonably high weapon mounts, but they are also just a little too low to really be T1 level. It's got nice hit boxes though, which let it shift damage easily to a side torso with a little twist. It's got lasers, which is the current meta in the game.

I'd call the Crab exactly what it was intended to be, a striker/skirmisher fighter that typically likes to maintain a bit of range, and strike and fade away to cool down. It's not XL friendly, so expect to use standard engines in it (unless you have some specialty build in mind and aren't concerned about the risk). It can go relatively fast, depending upon how you set it up. But even it's stock engine (81 kph without elites) is still rather reasonable to work with.

I bought the Crab package because it's my favorite mech in Battletech. I love it and would probably be using it in the game even if it was the worst mech in game. However, I'm finding that I really like it in game, and it's a nice mech. Depending upon how you feel about spending money into an online game, I think it's been worth my $40 I've spent into it. I've already had $40 worth of enjoyment already, and I just barely started with the mech! (My opinion of course.)

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

I was going to say Cicada 2A and 2B, but Terciel has it right. Adders have the most points in common for firepower and layout, despite being much lighter and a different tech base- symmetrical hardpoints, low-slung arms, squashed-down elongated torso, etc. You could use CERSL as an ISML stand in, CSPL for ISMPL, CERML for ISLL (all with gobs and gobs of tonnage left unused so that the heat profile is similar), or CMPL for IS LPL/MPL builds to try and get close to the Crab's performance envelope. It won't be a perfect fit, but because the Adder is squishier and has a CT that's easier to target, chances are if you like the Adder, you'll like the Crab a lot more.

#8 Tormund

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNorth of The Wall

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Seems like I've been slightly off the right track, though I really enjoy the Cicada 2A I tried out today. After my HBK-4SP the thing booms and zooms, and while it's fairly squishy, makes up in mobility. After several devastating games with under 100 damage I got the hang of the playstyle and do over 350 on a decent match, win or lose.

And while I'm an IS fanatic, loathing Clans and everything they stand for, I might invest into an adder for the sake of kicking ass in the Crab.

#9 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

The hardpoint locations and torso range is a bit different but the BJ-1X is a fast-ish Medium Energy mech you may want to consider. It absolutely shreds with all MLs, but to simulate the crab you're probably going to want to mix LLs and MLs or the like. Definitely a good choice even after you're done simulating a crab.

The other mechs suggested in here are still good though, you can't go wrong.

Edited by EmperorMyrf, 13 October 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#10 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

CDA 2B, similar shape and hardpoints, the Crab is actually smaller than the Cicada though its heavier.

on the 2B load out an engine in the xl200-260 range (matches crabs stock to max speed no speed tweak) and run 2 LL and 3 mediums. This will work out about the same as the Crab because on the Crab you have5-6 energy hardpoints in arms, head, and CT, on the 2B its 1 ct and 2 in each arm.

I try not to give advice on xl or not to xl, imho its an IS medium, speed is life and I hate anemic fire power. XL or bust.

My crab 20 playing the LL quirks. heat 1.32.
Posted Image

CDA 2B trainer. Heat 1.26 you said you wanted to learn how to run them hot.

Posted Image

I figured it would be better to match speed rather than exact weapons, the CDA has a 1 point higher alpha.

Remember the crabs front profile is much smaller than the Cicada. Plus the Crab has the feel of a heavier mech.

I honestly like the Cicada better. I got my new CDA 3F(L) the same day as the Crabs and have played it more than all of the Crabs.
Since you will have a Cicada or 3 this is my 2B build, I usually just run up behind people shoot them in the arm or leg and run away. 1 shot usually takes an arm off.

Posted Image

Max engine elited gets you 151.2kph. Sorry for the size of the pics but smurfs screws up the weight on these to.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 13 October 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#11 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

Actually, on the Clan side, I would consider the Ice Ferret first. Tankier and faster than an Adder, higher weapons mounts, good speed, not as big as other Clan Mediums, all variants can be done as pure Energy or mixed Energy / Missile. I have an Ice Ferret, pretty good and better than I thought.

Yes, I avoid mentioning the Stormcrow because someone always mentions it.

I prefer my Crabs tankier with STD engines, they do not do a lotta damage but kill real good.

#12 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

There are no mechs you'll buy, that will make the Crab easier.

#13 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

I am not really sure how to answer this question. All mechs can run hot depending on build and how you choose to fire their weapons. If you want something like the crab you are looking for another mech that can do laser vomit. Most laser vomit mechs run hot, but there are a lot of medium chassis that can boat lasers.

There are also a lot of mechs in other weight classes that do this well also. But if you prefer mediums and want something that looks and feels like the crab the only two seem to me that they would fit what you are looking for. They are the Nova (Clan) and Cicada (IS). Nova would probably be the closest since the speed would match better, Cicada's would be much faster with most builds.

The other mediums are pretty much humanoid in shape, which in my experience feel a lot different when you are piloting them.

I will add that when I first started playing I found laser to be very difficult. Holding them on target for max damage was not easy to learn for me. It was also difficult for me to manage heat and be accurate. Then again I could alpha and miss with all the weapons.

However if I were getting a medium mech for the first time I'd probably go with the Shadowhawk or possibly the Enforcer. It is a tough choice though. The Enforcer feels a bit more mobile to me and you have the ability to boat lasers and use ballistics. Gives you a bit more play options that just laser vomit. It is also relatively XL friendly as well. The Shadowhawk is also great, but is not the best laser boat. You can fit 3 LL, LPL, ERLL, or ERPPC's on a few of the variants, but you can also make builds with a mix of ballistics, missiles, and lasers instead. The Shadowhawk is kind of a jack of all trades master of none mech, but you can run XL's in them or stick with STD engines and be very effective in them either way. They are great if you are trying to figure out your play style because while leveling the chassis' you will be able to experiment with just about every weapon in the game if you choose too.

That said they neither are anything like the crab and there are a lot of great medium chassis other than the ones I mentioned.

I am not sure that helps you, but I hope it makes your decision easier.

Lastly, I will add that I think laser boats are very difficult for new players or even returning players who haven't played in a while to play. Managing heat, setting up firing groups, holding lasers on target for max damage are not extremely easy. I'd put them right behind Gauss Rifles for ease of use (when boating).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users