• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

To me it's profile looks like it will be similar to a Stalker with arms. It's narrow and long. It's also one of my personal fav mechs and I'm seriously considering buying one or three lol (also want my whammy too though, and a BK)

#22 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

7 medium lasers +gauss(or ac20) and jj I will make it work :)

Edited by Monkey Lover, 24 November 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#23 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 November 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

gonna be sad seeing people running 2PPC in the Right Arms, with an ac10 or the likes RT, and using the whole left side as a shield.

One more mech for minmax BS to ruin. (and I ain't hating the playahs, I am hating the game....or at least how the mechanics translated.)

I was thinking I'll throw my heavier weapons in the Left Arm, a Heavy Weapon in the RT and then smaller lasers and whatnot in the Right Arm. That way if I have the Hunchback problem of people just blowing apart my torso and losing half my weaponry, at least I still have something heavier in my other arm.

#24 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

gonna be sad seeing people running 2PPC in the Right Arms, with an ac10 or the likes RT, and using the whole left side as a shield.

One more mech for minmax BS to ruin. (and I ain't hating the playahs, I am hating the game....or at least how the mechanics translated.)

BH: Gauss, LPL, 6 MLs :D

#25 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

I bought the $20.00 bundle based on early adopter rewards and their add-on value. I'm looking at making an AC/20 build similar to what I already run on my Cataphract 3D, with the high ballistic hard point. As someone said earlier, even if the Marauder turns out horrible, the Mechs have already been paid for, so no biggie. The arms are indeed too low to protect the side torsos, but that just means they'll be down there to protect the legs! :P

#26 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostBigBenn, on 24 November 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Some of you worry too much.

Would everyone be happier with walking boxes with equal sized and shaped torsos? Maybe even have each torso section a different color so you know exactly where to aim?

Chill out.

PGI will monitor the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, and the IIC mechs as they arrive the battlefield and adjust accordingly if need be. In the mean time... just chill and quit CREATING drama.

/sarcasm And exploding joygasmgrams like HIT HIT HIT and confetti for each component blown off? Oh that would be so keen Daddy-O
:rolleyes:

#27 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

Geometry is a big reason I skipped the Marauder too, and went straight to the Warhammer.

Warhammer with its more Humanoid shaped Geometry, I know exactly what I'm going to get.

Now on one hand, the Crab medium mech is very similar in geometry layout to the Marauder, and to my complete shock, it does quite well even in the PPFLD vomitfest we are faced with 24/7 since clans.

I think possibly it could be a contender to the Hellbringer, minus ECM of course, but we'll have to see.

Still I find myself much more attracted to the Warhammer.

Edited by Mister D, 24 November 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#28 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

Can not wait, so pumped!

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 November 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

The really frustrating bit is that if BT were more realistic.... that wouldn't have been a bad design concept. A shield side and weapon side given the humanoid ability to respond to incoming fire that tanks and such do not have.

Personally....

heartbreaking as it is, as much as I love the Whammy and the Maddy, I refunded both. The decision to go back to quirks (which we already know never worked) and effectively abandon IW as anything relevant to the game has left me looking at another year of MW:O exactly like the last 3 and that's not something I found appealing, so I guess I'm out. 90 days from now people will be back to the exact same complaints they had 120 days ago or 480 days ago and there are too many good games coming out for me to invest time in that.

I hope the Marauder is stunning. I like the look visually. While I don't think it'll be anything like top meta I think that it'll be above average and run T3 to T2. I think at 75 tons with the arms relatively high and the ballistic over the shoulder you could run it aggressively with an old-school face-punch style loadout. I'd have gone AC20, 2LL 2 ML and a STD300, used the narrow forward profile and bull-rushed FTW. If the torso is as narrow as it looks that'll actually have both arms relatively close together. That means that at close range you'll still have an easy time putting the AC and lasers on the same target. Also if the hitboxes are not terrible it'll spread damage very well from front-on; you won't have to twist much.

A lot of good performance potential in the MAD IMO. I hope it plays out well for you guys. The Warhammer is going to be terrible but, well, it's the Whammy.

have to disagree. In reality you would just be more easily disarmed.

#30 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostMister D, on 24 November 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Geometry is a big reason I skipped the Marauder too, and went straight to the Warhammer.

Warhammer with its more Man shaped Geometry, I know exactly what I'm going to get.

Now on one hand, the Crab medium mech is very similar in geometry layout to the Marauder, and to my complete shock, it does quite well even in the PPFLD vomitfest we are faced with 24/7 since clans.

I think possibly it could be a contender to the Hellbringer, minus ECM of course, but we'll have to see.

Still I find myself much more attracted to the Warhammer.

The ppfld meta didn't even come close to starting with the clans.it's pretty much always been that way :P
Dual gauss jager/cat k2
Ppc/gauss(or ac) victor/highlander/phract 3d
So and so on
Didnt start with the clans at all....just got worse lol
The ppfld alpha meta is an inherent flaw with the game design and the devs refusal to implement a simple CoF mechanic like virtually every modern shooter on the planet.

Anyways.
I got the 'rauder because it's a bad ass lookin mech and couldnt care less about it's meta potential,as long as it's playable and fun.same with the whammy.

#31 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostBigBenn, on 24 November 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

PGI will monitor the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, and the IIC mechs as they arrive the battlefield and adjust accordingly if need be.

My experience with bad hitbox mechs like the Warhawk for example tells me they are not actually going to do anything about the model.

Sure, they might re-do some STs like they did recently, but that was mostly hit or miss for each specific mech - not actually a true improvement across the board which would require re-scaling and perhaps revising the model (unlikely to ever happen).

Its an interesting conundrum to be sure.

I sometimes like to wonder what battlemechs would look like if they were being designed from the ground up now, with current advances in technology influencing the designers, and with real line of sight requirements, terrain issues, damage soaking all taken into account.

In this hypothetical daydream-land of Ulti's all of the long nose, chicken walker, big ST mechs are give a long distance support role, with higher mounts for sniping - but atrocious ability to protect themselves. They would be slower and less manueverable.

Then, the Humanoid style mechs are designed for mid & short range with lower mounts but additional (tonnage free) ablaitive plating to protect their weapons, soak damage and tank. Bad at sniping, nightmarish juggernauts if they get in your face. They would be faster and more manueverable.

There are probably some more archtypes that could be fleshed out, but I'm out of coffee and drained from 5 hours of meetings today.

View PostSarlic, on 24 November 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

I understand tutorials and other things. But i believe people should expeirment and fiddle with own equipment instead of browse X website and put X equipement to 'learn the game'. And then look further of optimise your own builds.

Basically what that guy is doing is taking the synthesized experimentation he sees at his level of play, making some builds around it and explaining them and giving people some starter templates for discussion.

It's good for both vets and new players.

You'd be surprised how many people I see asking "why did you break your 5 tons of gauss ammo into 10 x 0.5 tons and fill those locations?"

There is always something to learn, and it's a good place to start and then experiment on your own.

I doubt even he intends people to take his builds as is and run them 100% exactly like that.

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 November 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

The really frustrating bit is that if BT were more realistic.... that wouldn't have been a bad design concept. A shield side and weapon side given the humanoid ability to respond to incoming fire that tanks and such do not have.

Yeah that's part of my daydreaming above, what if mechs had been designed with realistic line of sight needs, etc.?

I mean, could you imagine if tanks had their main guns mounted on the underside of the belly and clipped rocks?

People hate "meta" but the reality is that most of the mechs that are bad in this game are bad because their desigs make no logical sense of anykind.

Why would you mount 6 lasers at waist height and not on the shoulders/head/upper torso? Etc.

#32 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

Gauss + 2PPC or 2AC5 + 2PPC back in the day might have been the meta, but 35 or 30 damage for that kind of tonnage investment now is almost a joke build.

Nobody fears anything with PPC/AC5 unless its quirked like mad, the only mech that can still pull it off is maybe the mauler and the Banshee-3E with 3 AC-5's and 2 PPC's, and even that is a rare sight anymore.

#33 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostMister D, on 24 November 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Gauss + 2PPC or 2AC5 + 2PPC back in the day might have been the meta, but 35 or 30 damage for that kind of tonnage investment now is almost a joke build.

Nobody fears anything with PPC/AC5 unless its quirked like mad, the only mech that can still pull it off is maybe the mauler and the Banshee-3E with 3 AC-5's and 2 PPC's, and even that is a rare sight anymore.

True words,but it's just varying degrees of the same problem.the ridiculous amounts of frontloaded one shot super gun damage just highlight the issue more.

#34 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

Me? Big part nostalgia purchase (honestly, seeing the MAD offer when it first came out is what got me to finally download the game :) ) That said.. I've since come to love the game in general and will drive the hell out of my MAD's good or bad. I'm not in spending hundreds of hours in MWO to be a Tier 1 super kill everything meta guy (nothing wrong if that's your thing at all, just not mine). I just want to have fun piloting mechs I dig, good or bad, and looking forward to getting into team play and a good unit... with my Maddy's especially.

So cheers, and see you all on the field in a week... I'll be the one with the insanely happy grin. :D
Morg

Edited by Morggo, 24 November 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#35 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

View PostMister D, on 24 November 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

But... But... My dual PPC, dual AC/5 Firebrand is my best-performing CW Mech...

Aw.

#36 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

If PGI can quirk the PPC's enough to keep them going via faster cooldown and less heat (same goes for the Warhammer), the lack of the massive alphas may not hurt these two stalwarts as much. That, and I wish PGI would INCREASE the heat penalty for massed lasers and alphas in general.

I'm having a great time with my 3 PPC / 6 SL Black Knight -7.

Edited by BigBenn, 24 November 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#37 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostSarlic, on 24 November 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

I find metamechs giant bullcrap. But that's my opinion. I believe it have caused more troubles then doing any good.

I appreciate the guy's effort, but that's about it.

I understand tutorials and other things. But i believe people should expeirment and fiddle with own equipment instead of browse X website and put X equipement to 'learn the game'. And then look further of optimise your own builds.

No. You don't learn any usage by doing this.

Bishop put it correctly just above you:

"Don't hate the players, hate the game."

It means that you can't blame players' reaction to a game's mechanics.

#38 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

A Victor Dragon Slayer with an AC10 and two LPLs can still work; it may not be the thing right now but I like it very much. Not as much as a dead stock Jester, but that's just me.

I'm very much looking forward to the Marauder. I got the collector pack and will keep one 3R stock, the 3R(S) will upgrade to endo, DHS, and a uAC/5, and keep the PPCs and MLs, and the other two...not sure. The 5D is like the old school 3D. Really hoping for a uAC jam chance reduction for the 3R!

Edited by Chados, 24 November 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#39 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

View Postgh0s7m3rc, on 24 November 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

From MWO's Instagram:

https://www.instagra...chwarrioronline

It really reminds me of a taller-in-legs King Crab... :lol:

It might be the night vision glow obscuring details but the scale on that doesn't look half bad. The orthograph seemed to make the torso out to be hugely long, but it looks a lot shorter there.

I'm looking forward to the full model in the days to come.

#40 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:10 PM

I'll wait for cbills (assuming I haven't dustbinned the game by then). I have more cbill/xp bonus mechs than I need as it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users