11 replies to this topic

#1 Rosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCrazy Canuck Land!

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

Something to consider for CW Phase 4 (or a work in for Phase 3) are giving mercs the option to be pure mercs who are not faction alinged and allowing them to drop with mix faction mechs (Example taking 3 IS mechs and a Clan in one drop deck, etc).

However though a tonnage limit of 220 for PURE MERCs should be a set start to help prevent a big power creep which will require the pilots to rely more on skill then on the mechs. Min maxing pros wont disappear BUT it will in a way bring for more diversty and game play.

Right now playing as a Merc just doesnt feel like I'm playing as a merc :/

Edited by Rosscoe, 24 November 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

Mercenaries ALWAYS work for somebody. They don't make any money if they aren't working for somebody. That's what the faction affiliation is supposed to symbolize.

Your proposal isn't likely to happen, just based on that.

#3 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

A more meaningful idea would be:
1. Mercenaries (not Lone Wolves) can drop on *any* IS faction CW match
2. Mercenaries only receive 50% LP (and Contract c-bills) for doing so.

#4 Rosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 25 November 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Mercenaries ALWAYS work for somebody. They don't make any money if they aren't working for somebody. That's what the faction affiliation is supposed to symbolize.

Your proposal isn't likely to happen, just based on that.

And Im talking about the ones that are not affliated but work for a contract regardless.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostRosscoe, on 26 November 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

And Im talking about the ones that are not affliated but work for a contract regardless.

And I'm telling you that what you are asking for cannot exist. There are no "pure mercenaries" in the BattleTech universe.

A mercenary unit that takes a contract is affiliated with the House that is paying it. They aren't a House unit, but they take orders from the House for the duration of the contract. Then, when the contract is up, they sign a new contract -- either with the previous House or a different one.

The Faction affiliation in MWO is meant to symbolize that -- a temporary contract between a House and a mercenary unit.

Some mercenary units in the lore have become effectively House units by taking contracts with only one House. Others switch to a new House every time their contract ends.

#6 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 27 November 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

And I'm telling you that what you are asking for cannot exist. There are no "pure mercenaries" in the BattleTech universe.

A mercenary unit that takes a contract is affiliated with the House that is paying it. They aren't a House unit, but they take orders from the House for the duration of the contract. Then, when the contract is up, they sign a new contract -- either with the previous House or a different one.

The Faction affiliation in MWO is meant to symbolize that -- a temporary contract between a House and a mercenary unit.

Some mercenary units in the lore have become effectively House units by taking contracts with only one House. Others switch to a new House every time their contract ends.

Not exactly.

It is true that most of the famous, very large units took long term contracts with the houses themselves, but the vast majority of mercenary contracts were on a mission by mission, or campaign by campaign basis.

It is the whole reason Mercenary Star, and later Outreach, existed.

I would love to see mercenaries be able to take single-mission contracts, with a base guaranteed pay (with incentive bonuses). Add in a Repair and Re-arm feature and BOOM! Immersion.

#7 Rosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 27 November 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

I stop reading your counter arguement after seeing the word "Lore". CW has no lore driving it at all. You are going to have to come up with a better arguement then this. Heck Hotthedd got to stomp on it before I did.

#8 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 30 November 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

Not exactly.

It is true that most of the famous, very large units took long term contracts with the houses themselves, but the vast majority of mercenary contracts were on a mission by mission, or campaign by campaign basis.

It is the whole reason Mercenary Star, and later Outreach, existed.

I would love to see mercenaries be able to take single-mission contracts, with a base guaranteed pay (with incentive bonuses). Add in a Repair and Re-arm feature and BOOM! Immersion.

af·fil·i·a·tion
əˌfilēˈāSH(ə)n/
noun
the state or process of affiliating or being affiliated.
"he had no particular affiliation, no close associates"
synonyms: association with, connection with/to, alliance with/to, alignment with, link with/to, attachment to, tie with/to, relationship with/to, fellowship with, partnership with, coalition with, union with; amalgamation with, incorporation into, integration into, federation with, confederation with.

So yeah ... contract equals affiliation, no matter the duration of that contract.

I could see them doing single-planet contracts. You could view conquering a planet as a single mission. You succeed and you get base pay and bonuses. You fail and you just get the base pay for the attempt.

I wouldn't mind them bringing back R&R too.

View PostRosscoe, on 30 November 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

I stop reading your counter arguement after seeing the word "Lore". CW has no lore driving it at all. You are going to have to come up with a better arguement then this. Heck Hotthedd got to stomp on it before I did.

Hotthedd didn't stomp on anything, Rosscoe. And this game is based on BattleTech, which has 30+ years of lore behind it. You not reading the rest of my post doesn't make it not valid.

#9 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

Durant Carlyle,

I'm not arguing semantics. In general, the word "affiliated" suggests more than a one-contract and off agreement.

Mercenaries have been known to switch sides DURING battles, both in the BT universe and in history.

What I am saying (and I believe Rosscoe is too) is that there should be the option to be a true mercenary, whose only real affiliation is with the C-bills. There is no need for lengthy "affiliations".

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

Yeah. Not going to happen.

Why?

Suddenly no one is affiliated with any House or Clan, because a "True Mercenary" can use both Clan and Inner Sphere 'Mechs in their drop deck. And CW matters even less than it did before.

Suddenly there is no immersion at all. Is that what you want?

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 01 December 2015 - 12:08 AM.

#11 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 01 December 2015 - 12:06 AM, said:

Yeah. Not going to happen.

Why?

Suddenly no one is affiliated with any House or Clan, because a "True Mercenary" can use both Clan and Inner Sphere 'Mechs in their drop deck. And CW matters even less than it did before.

Suddenly there is no immersion at all. Is that what you want?

No, it isn't what I want. I would be against mixed drop decks at this point in the timeline.

I would just like to see different options for the player, with different incentives to play as a Mercenary, a Clanner, a House unit, or even a pirate.

#12 Rosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 30 November 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

af·fil·i·a·tion
əˌfilēˈāSH(ə)n/
noun
the state or process of affiliating or being affiliated.
"he had no particular affiliation, no close associates"
synonyms: association with, connection with/to, alliance with/to, alignment with, link with/to, attachment to, tie with/to, relationship with/to, fellowship with, partnership with, coalition with, union with; amalgamation with, incorporation into, integration into, federation with, confederation with.

So yeah ... contract equals affiliation, no matter the duration of that contract.

I could see them doing single-planet contracts. You could view conquering a planet as a single mission. You succeed and you get base pay and bonuses. You fail and you just get the base pay for the attempt.

I wouldn't mind them bringing back R&R too.

Hotthedd didn't stomp on anything, Rosscoe. And this game is based on BattleTech, which has 30+ years of lore behind it. You not reading the rest of my post doesn't make it not valid.

Yes the game IS based on Battletech, the game itself however isn't even LORE driven. You may think its LORE driven but it is not. CW alone has been stated By Russ we as the player base get to battle it out how we want and how we want to go about it. Nothing is locked into LORE combat. If you want to play in a LORE fashion that's your choice but its not how everyone plays the game.

So please stop being a LORE try hard and accept the fact the game needs more options for the player base when choosing what they are doing and how to go about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users