15 replies to this topic

#1 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

I don't know the lore very well so I tend to wing it.

I am trying to give some back story to Clan Wolf, Jade, Ghost Bear, and CSJ in my new player guide but they are all somewhat similar so its confusing me.

I am looking for 3-5 sentence explanations that best give someone an idea of what makes each clan different. It could be a little longer but then I may have trouble making it fit.

heres where it will be going

https://docs.google....01bb2418_187_39

#2 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 25 November 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

I am trying to give some back story to Clan Wolf, Jade, Ghost Bear, and CSJ in my new player guide but they are all somewhat similar so its confusing me.

I am looking for 3-5 sentence explanations that best give someone an idea of what makes each clan different. It could be a little longer but then I may have trouble making it fit.

All the clans are named after animals because they have very specific ********** (wow this got censored? [yes, yes it did]. /thread

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 26 November 2015 - 04:46 AM.
Language

#3 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

For CSJ just read Galaxy Commander Russou Howell's many speeches on what it is to be a Jaguar in "Freebirth".

Tbh, I'm not a Lorebuff, but sarna.net might help.

#4 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 25 November 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

For CSJ just read Galaxy Commander Russou Howell's many speeches on what it is to be a Jaguar in "Freebirth".

Tbh, I'm not a Lorebuff, but sarna.net might help.

I usually find everything on Sarna but in this situation I am having some trouble.

also, if someone knows the favorite mechs of each clan, thats great stuff too.

Jade Falcon uses tons of Summoners, Hellbringers, and Kitfoxes but I have no idea what that would be for the others.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 25 November 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#5 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

I am familiar with the Clan Lore - I may be able to help answer some of your questions - I have read pretty much all of the old novels. It has been some time. For now I would recommend you read The Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy - not a bad read - it covers a lot of ground whereas Clan culture is concerned.

In a nutshell, Kerensky's Star League Army departed from the Inner Sphere after the collapse of the Terran Hegemony and settled on a series of distant worlds far out in the deep periphery. Afterwords their new society basically crumbled due to infighting. Kerensky's son rallied a group of loyal warriors to his cause and conquered all of the rebellious planets. He then re-established the social structure of the Star League Army by creating the Clans - A caste based social system that placed the warrior caste at the top of the social structure. There were 20 clans in the original creation of this system.

All of the clans share a common goal, the reconquest of Terra, and in some form the greater goal of re-establishing something like the Terran Hegemony as the dominant ruling power in the Inner Sphere. In effect, the re-establishment of the Star League.
The Clan which eventually captures Terra is to become the permanently dominant clan - ruler of the restored Star League.

Over the years, interpretation of this common vision has differed somewhat between the clans. There are two general views. One view is that the purpose of the clans is to conquer and rule over the Inner Sphere, as rightful inheritors of the Star League heritage. The other view is that the original purpose of the Star League was one of protection of the Inner Sphere, and as such the true purpose of the clans is one of guardianship, and not conquest. Holders of the first view are racing to conquer the Inner Sphere and sweep aside all opposition to clan rule. Holders of the second view are racing to conquer Terra first, and thus become the ruling clan, to check the ambitions of the first group.

In clan society, the scientist caste is in charge of the genetic breeding program from which all trueborn clan warriors originate. These warriors are selectively created using the DNA from two successful warriors with the intent of producing new warriors of a superior genetic strain. Trueborn warriors are at the very top of clan society, with those who are able to win a bloodname considered the elite of the elite. Trueborn warriors are assumed to be superior in every way to freeborn humans.

Victory in combat is considered the final arbiter of all that is right and wrong in Clan society, and it is the final basis for all clan morality. This is the root pillar of the entire clan social system. As such, almost any major decision made in clan society can be challenged and reversed by victory in a fair trial by combat. I say almost, because the devil is in the details where as which decisions qualify as valid for being worthy of challenge... not to mention warrior behavior conduct during the challenge itself.

Nevertheless, clan society, in the bigger picture, follows the concept of might makes right.... within certain social restrictions.

#6 Xeren KelDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 190 posts
  • LocationNAIS

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 25 November 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I usually find everything on Sarna but in this situation I am having some trouble.

also, if someone knows the favorite mechs of each clan, thats great stuff too.

Jade Falcon uses tons of Summoners, Hellbringers, and Kitfoxes but I have no idea what that would be for the others.

Clan Wolf favors the Timber Wolf. It is by far their favorite mech. Smoke Jaguar made the Ebon Jaguar (if I remember correctly), but I think it'd be too new at this point to be considered their favorite.

#7 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

View Postcrustydog, on 25 November 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

I am familiar with the Clan Lore - I may be able to help answer some of your questions - I have read pretty much all of the old novels. It has been some time. For now I would recommend you read The Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy - not a bad read - it covers a lot of ground whereas Clan culture is concerned.

In a nutshell, Kerensky's Star League Army departed from the Inner Sphere after the collapse of the Terran Hegemony and settled on a series of distant worlds far out in the deep periphery. Afterwords their new society basically crumbled due to infighting. Kerensky's son rallied a group of loyal warriors to his cause and conquered all of the rebellious planets. He then re-established the social structure of the Star League Army by creating the Clans - A caste based social system that placed the warrior caste at the top of the social structure. There were 20 clans in the original creation of this system.

All of the clans share a common goal, the reconquest of Terra, and in some form the greater goal of re-establishing something like the Terran Hegemony as the dominant ruling power in the Inner Sphere. In effect, the re-establishment of the Star League.
The Clan which eventually captures Terra is to become the permanently dominant clan - ruler of the restored Star League.

Over the years, interpretation of this common vision has differed somewhat between the clans. There are two general views. One view is that the purpose of the clans is to conquer and rule over the Inner Sphere, as rightful inheritors of the Star League heritage. The other view is that the original purpose of the Star League was one of protection of the Inner Sphere, and as such the true purpose of the clans is one of guardianship, and not conquest. Holders of the first view are racing to conquer the Inner Sphere and sweep aside all opposition to clan rule. Holders of the second view are racing to conquer Terra first, and thus become the ruling clan, to check the ambitions of the first group.

In clan society, the scientist caste is in charge of the genetic breeding program from which all trueborn clan warriors originate. These warriors are selectively created using the DNA from two successful warriors with the intent of producing new warriors of a superior genetic strain. Trueborn warriors are at the very top of clan society, with those who are able to win a bloodname considered the elite of the elite. Trueborn warriors are assumed to be superior in every way to freeborn humans.

Victory in combat is considered the final arbiter of all that is right and wrong in Clan society, and it is the final basis for all clan morality. This is the root pillar of the entire clan social system. As such, almost any major decision made in clan society can be challenged and reversed by victory in a fair trial by combat. I say almost, because the devil is in the details where as which decisions qualify as valid for being worthy of challenge... not to mention warrior behavior conduct during the challenge itself.

Nevertheless, clan society, in the bigger picture, follows the concept of might makes right.... within certain social restrictions.

How would this be adapted to a.....
  • Jade Falcon
  • Wolf
  • Ghost Bear
  • CSJ
Format?

#8 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,705 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

Skittles!

#9 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

They are not communists. They are fascists. Textbook infact. They are sociopathic (suffering of others does not calculate into their decision making) fascist slavers who practice fetishism. They idolize false/projected traits on animals in order to try and validate their own animalistic behaviors. They you get their penchant for eugenics. They are a walking talking Godwins Law joke, with slavery as a perk.

As a social construct the Clans represent all of humanities failures and try to package it as a bonus. They are the worst of us, the most ignoble of what humans are capable of trying to call itself "Honor".

This makes it hard to give a serious response - there isn't a lot of real relevant differences. All of it would have to be so glossed over as to seem like bad propaganda not to be deeply critical.

Try Sarna. Cherry pick a lot. Leave most of it out. You'll come up with something.

#10 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

Clan Smoke Jaguar warriors are among the fiercest and most savage of the Clans. In the lore, the members of the warrior caste treat laborers and civilians more harshly than other Clans. They are resource-poor, only getting along by winning resources through combat, and they often succeed since they are outright skilled, brutal fighters. They favor assault 'mechs like the Warhawk and Dire Wolf, which they both have produced, and other heavy weapons units, like the Ebon Jaguar, Mad Dog, and Stormcrow. I liken them to the House Steiner of Clan space for their favoring of heavier 'mechs, them and Clan Coyote.

Clan Jade Falcon is very conservative, sticking closely to the philosophy of Nicholas Kerensky. They frown upon other Clans who aren't as conservative as they are. While it's not readily apparent during the Clan Invasion, they do favor jump-capable 'mechs like the Summoner.

Clan Wolf is split internally along Crusader and Warden lines, something the Clan's Khan at the time of the Invasion, Ulric Kerensky, tried to reign in. Clan Wolf is is one of the more moderate Clans, and often collaborates with Clan Coyote in scientific and combat ventures. Clan Wolf seems to focus on 'mechs with a combination of good ground speed and firepower, like the Timber Wolf, Ice Ferret, and Gargoyle. This is kind of odd considering they originally designed the Dire Wolf, only for Clan Smoke Jaguar to win a trial of possession over its design.

Clan Ghost Bear seems like the most balanced of the four original invading Clans. They are moderate in political philosophy, and encourage their warriors to complete a "great work" in their spare time, which is basically an art project of some sort, like a painting, or a written novel. They also focus on units with a good mix of ground movement and jump capability, like the Executioner and the Nova.

Boy it's hard to explain some of the Invading Clan's 'mech choices with some choices missing from MWO, like the Viper and Fire Moth, which Clan Ghost Bear especially likes to use. But don't let that restrict your 'mech preference. All of the Clan Omnimechs in MWO are used by all Clans, having been acquired through various trials as either rewards or salvage.

#11 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 25 November 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Clan Smoke Jaguar warriors are among the fiercest and most savage of the Clans. In the lore, the members of the warrior caste treat laborers and civilians more harshly than other Clans. They are resource-poor, only getting along by winning resources through combat, and they often succeed since they are outright skilled, brutal fighters. They favor assault 'mechs like the Warhawk and Dire Wolf, which they both have produced, and other heavy weapons units, like the Ebon Jaguar, Mad Dog, and Stormcrow. I liken them to the House Steiner of Clan space for their favoring of heavier 'mechs, them and Clan Coyote.

Clan Jade Falcon is very conservative, sticking closely to the philosophy of Nicholas Kerensky. They frown upon other Clans who aren't as conservative as they are. While it's not readily apparent during the Clan Invasion, they do favor jump-capable 'mechs like the Summoner.

Clan Wolf is split internally along Crusader and Warden lines, something the Clan's Khan at the time of the Invasion, Ulric Kerensky, tried to reign in. Clan Wolf is is one of the more moderate Clans, and often collaborates with Clan Coyote in scientific and combat ventures. Clan Wolf seems to focus on 'mechs with a combination of good ground speed and firepower, like the Timber Wolf, Ice Ferret, and Gargoyle. This is kind of odd considering they originally designed the Dire Wolf, only for Clan Smoke Jaguar to win a trial of possession over its design.

Clan Ghost Bear seems like the most balanced of the four original invading Clans. They are moderate in political philosophy, and encourage their warriors to complete a "great work" in their spare time, which is basically an art project of some sort, like a painting, or a written novel. They also focus on units with a good mix of ground movement and jump capability, like the Executioner and the Nova.

Boy it's hard to explain some of the Invading Clan's 'mech choices with some choices missing from MWO, like the Viper and Fire Moth, which Clan Ghost Bear especially likes to use. But don't let that restrict your 'mech preference. All of the Clan Omnimechs in MWO are used by all Clans, having been acquired through various trials as either rewards or salvage.

Thank you, I will work on this tonight

#12 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...n-affiliations/

Something I did up a while back, needs to be updates, though.

#13 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

You can use this:
http://mwomercs.com/game/clans

or

http://www.sarna.net...Clan_Ghost_Bear
http://www.sarna.net...lan_Jade_Falcon
http://www.sarna.net...an_Smoke_Jaguar
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Wolf

#14 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thank you guys, I am very happy with how it turned out

#15 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 25 November 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

WOW, really nice!

Lots of great tips, although you need to add some of the most common tactics, tips on comms discipline, and the phonetic alphabet, focus firing tips, forming firing lines..

Also, maybe some pictures of the maps that are currently available..

The only beef I have with the whole project is that ONCE AGAIN, it is done by an independent third party instead of the ones that should be doing it.. PGI.

This "CW field manual" should be a part of the Training Academy..

#16 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

How would this be adapted to a.....
  • Jade Falcon
  • Wolf
  • Ghost Bear
  • CSJ

Fleshing this out, I would study the details of each on a clan by clan basis. There is detailed information on all of the invading clans in the novels. Some of this may have been reproduced elsewhere - maybe Sarna. The clans have their overall base social structure that governs all of the clans in general, but then each individual clan also has further unique internal rules, norms and mores. You could easily make a multi-year study on this subject.

Of relevant note here is the idea that all of this "Clan" social definition - the stuff that makes one clan different from another, is primarily aimed at the warrior class - the trueborns and their genetic breeding program in particular. This war program exists for the single purpose of making war. The warriors are raised within a cult like system, where all information is strictly controlled from the cradle to the grave. These warriors are breed for war, with the singular goal of dying gloriously in combat and passing on their DNA. They are given exactly the information they need to perform their duties and nothing more. They are generally kept segregated away from the rest of clan society... and are like simple children in many ways.

This warrior caste cultural exclusiveness has impacts in other areas of Clan society. The scientist caste, for example, frequently works together across clan lines, and often for their own purposes. The merchant class generally does not concern itself with which clan is controlling which particular planet or where. They will sell black market weapons to anyone, anywhere, including the Inner Sphere. In general, the freeborn citizens of clan society have a common disdain of the trueborns and their elitist culture.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users