#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

It's nice to have some events that don't feel like grindfests. Sure, it's cool to have some Tryhard events, like Leaderboard Challenges, but unless you are a diehard Comp type player, those can burn you out way fast.

Got on around 7, 7:30 tonight, in my Clan Acct, and by Midnight had achieved all the Casual Play Awards, without even playing especially well, Meta builds, etc. Just took my Warhawk (UAC20 and 2xERPPC) and went (mostly because Assault Queue was low most of the night).

Lots of Cbills, Lots of XP, 500 MC, a couple paint colors, a module, some cockpit swag... all for a normal night's play. It's nice to get some "appreciation awards" from time to time.

Tomorrow Night? Guess it's time to unlock that Gray Death I just bought for 50% off, while the XP is being doubled and all that. (after that, got a What Mech Challenge account and it's Victors to level up).

Plenty of time to play, might even go play some CW if I get bored enough. (And can find a unit... ain't crazy enough to drop solo in CW)

Thanks PGI!

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 November 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

Plenty of time to play, might even go play some CW if I get bored enough. (And can find a unit... ain't crazy enough to drop solo in CW)

Thanks PGI!

Dropping solo in CW is not desirable but for this event you should do it if there are no units around. I played solo for five games total and got almost all the rewards, even when losing them. Match score reward is the hardest to get, since IS side almost always loses as pugs, and my nice scores get divided by number of mechs used.

Edited by El Bandito, 25 November 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:28 AM

Yeah, I have to say this event is fun..

I dropped with my IS alt last night, and in the span of an afternoon finished all the Quickplay challenges. Today I'm probably gonna either Clan-out, or try to get the CW's done on my IS acc..

I really like something that is different than most other events/challenges... this one rewards paints and mech modules.. something I haven seen so far.. I really like the paint rewards.. they are SO expensive to get with MC..

#4 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:41 AM

I had some little MC left and got the Protector. (Yes, i still needed that Mech to complete the collection. Boars Head is still to expensive, even at 50% off. Price has been never changed.)

Unlocked 2x Premium time and a few consumables. Incredible hard to play in a unbasic'd Hero. With all that laser/gauss. Still managed to pull some nice and bad games.

I really like the smoothness of the mech. It feels like babybutter on his armor compared to the other Orionn (the look of it)

And i found out that Orange suits Orions very well. I like the color. It's bright and looks great.

The only thing that looks bad are the SRM/LRM racks.
Posted Image

Edited by Sarlic, 26 November 2015 - 03:43 AM.

#5 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:03 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 November 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

Dropping solo in CW is not desirable but for this event you should do it if there are no units around. I played solo for five games total and got almost all the rewards, even when losing them. Match score reward is the hardest to get, since IS side almost always loses as pugs, and my nice scores get divided by number of mechs used.

I played 11 CW matches and lost all of them, you know you were in one of them too. I'm always in the top3 spots on my team so I can say its not me.

I think I will earn all the rewards without ever winning a match in CW during the event.
As a steiner pug its just depressing.

I think the reason is that the big comp teams decided to join the event and they all play clans (guess why?!) so as an IS pug, fighting clans you are most definately ending up in a match vs a big group of some sorts.

Where are all the great IS groups? There are none! SROT are ******* and only fight against other IS teams.
Thats why I have no respect towards big units. Because if they want to earn my respect they need to jump into some IS mechs and not drive the clan meta all the time. Sorry, but you all know it. You all lack balls if you side with the OP teams and drive OP mechs and stomp pugs.

#6 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostTexAce, on 26 November 2015 - 04:03 AM, said:

Where are all the great IS groups? There are none! SROT are ******* and only fight against other IS teams.
Thats why I have no respect towards big units. Because if they want to earn my respect they need to jump into some IS mechs and not drive the clan meta all the time. Sorry, but you all know it. You all lack balls if you side with the OP teams and drive OP mechs and stomp pugs.

Wish you were Davion, Davion TS is/was active last night, wish I would have had time to join them, and normally is even during non-events.

#7 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:25 AM

I'll just quote what I just wrote on the Event topic before seeing this one:

View PostFlipOver, on 26 November 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

I want to show my support for this event with this post.

There is just one thing I don't like about it:
The reward for KILL count is too good and this brings out some moronic play from people (blocking shots to the enemy just to get the killing blow) but I suppose we can't fix that behavior. All PGI could do, in order to minimize it a bit in a next event, is to give a "less good" reward compared to other objectives (a possible solution follows below).
This is just my pov, don't want to start a debate about how kills are important and what-not.

Now, what I like about this event:
  • It's for both CW and Solo, group or not.
  • The amount of victories for solo game modes is accurate according to the past experience from the new voting system
  • The premium time associated with each of these victories is great to help getting more XP and CBills for the other objectives. Very well done!
  • The damage and match score rewards are good, I would just suggest a switch of reward between the KILLS reward and the MATCH SCORE. But that's how I'd do things.
  • As pugs are concerned, between Solo and CW there are plenty of objectives to achieve, making this challenge what it really is, a challenge for most pugs.
  • Most of the objectives have an achievable goal, if some tweak is needed, would be minor.
  • Regarding CW however, the KILL reward is a bit more on par with the match score but I'd switch them also to better show the importance of making a good game compared to getting kill shots. But it's not bad as it is.
Overall, this is a great Event and I thank you PGI for choosing something as interesting as the objectives versus rewards and the objective goals versus difficulty to achieve them for most pugs, the way you did!

Edit - One more thing.
The MC and C-Bills boost people can get from this event paired with the other deals you (PGI) made, just makes this event even more interesting for everyone. So thank you again!

Edit - Just to update the quote

Edited by FlipOver, 26 November 2015 - 04:30 AM.

#8 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

Would someone be so kind as to Post the "Match Score" requirements for the event please. I cannot seem to find them under the "Event Announcement"...

Never mind. I see it. The "Cumulative Match Score" bonus. I thought what was meant was per Match... (doh). ;)

Carry on.

Edited by Almond Brown, 26 November 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 26 November 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

I'll just quote what I just wrote on the Event topic before seeing this one:

Edit - Just to update the quote

I was worried about this, but TBH, once the evening crowd hit, it didn't seem to be too much an issue. Certainly a few instances, but not overwhelming.

The Day shift on the otherhand? Moron Soup. I expect the weekend to be similar which is why I'm gonna try to finish the Quickplays on all 3 accts before then.

Then I might play the CW...in the hope that long wait times are more than the Moron Brigade are willing to deal with.

#10 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Had a much needed 3 week break to cool off, last night i had a lot of fun games, win or lose, lots of variety in maps and game modes.
And match making in MWO is easily way way better than a lot of other f2p games out there, i'm enjoying the positive feeling for MWO right now, it makes me happy!.

#11 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

Just faced a large group of SROT last night while playing on my alt (also part of Clan Wolf). Of course, they lost to my team of pugs, so there's that, but they definitely were going up against Clans.

They probably would have won too if they had actually coordinated their movements and used...you know...strategy. Instead they all decided to hide behind mountains, peeking with their STK-4Ns, while the few pugs on their side got slaughtered.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 26 November 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Just faced a large group of SROT last night while playing on my alt (also part of Clan Wolf). Of course, they lost to my team of pugs, so there's that, but they definitely were going up against Clans.

They probably would have won too if they had actually coordinated their movements and used...you know...strategy. Instead they all decided to hide behind mountains, peeking with their STK-4Ns, while the few pugs on their side got slaughtered.

is it bad that everytime I see their tag, I think [ScROT] ........

#13 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:21 AM

Full agreement.

It's a nice event when you can just play and the rewards just "happen" without feeling like you're forced to grind it out...

Kudos PGI. :)

#14 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

+1...thanks PGI

#15 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Last event there weren't many good players on clan. Only clan that was even remotely anything was CJF. I even had other good pugs that could keep up with me.

#16 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 November 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

Tomorrow Night? Guess it's time to unlock that Gray Death I just bought for 50% off,

HEY!, that's my idea! i came up with it first.

View PostDAYLEET, on 24 November 2015 - 11:25 PM, said:

...im thinking of getting some mc for the Grey Death though, at half price it's a nice mech.

Get the sparky i hear it's a great mech.

I think im gona get me some Light Green Cobra colour. It's the only one i dont own in the bunch.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 26 November 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

HEY!, that's my idea! i came up with it first.

Get the sparky i hear it's a great mech.

I think im gona get me some Light Green Cobra colour. It's the only one i dont own in the bunch.

already have sparky..... and i hate it. So nananabooboo! :P

#18 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

Sparky is a Griffin I just don't do well in. I like it, but TBH, do better in a QuickDraw doing the same thing.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

View PostCabusha, on 26 November 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Sparky is a Griffin I just don't do well in. I like it, but TBH, do better in a QuickDraw doing the same thing.

yeah, laservomit and I generally just don't click.

#20 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:32 PM

The solo rewards were fairly easy to pick up. The CW rewards are taking a little more work. Cool event though. Lots of free stuff to be earned. I'd like to see more color and camo options in event rewards though. One of the very few things we can do to mechs to make them "ours" are camo and color. I wouldn't offer them as commonly as the other rewards, but still toss them out there 3-4 times a year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users