Emerald Taiga

13 replies to this topic

#1 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

Sorry to scratch up some of your mechs....

Their tactic.. get up on mountain to snipe down omega on counter attack (others take down Gen 2 this way), get 2 kills on the suckers that exit the gate then run back to their drop ship area for 20 minutes of the game.

I can say the issue is not that you ran for your mommy but that you did not have to enter the complex to take out omega/gen 2.

Considering that PGI would shields around the gens and omega to force the attackers hit it from a specific POV while IN the complex, it really brings to the point of what were they ....

nm.

PS it did not help that the Clan team played like pugs though, after the fact... Posted Image or teams from both side would pick on omega or Gen 2 from that spot...

It is possible that they were Steiners posing as Davions.... Posted Image

Edited by Half Ear, 06 December 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#2 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

This has been an issue since the map came out. And it was pointed out many times with not reaction so far. Apart from that I do not think there is any need to play the game of 'some IS/Clan faction is using cowardly tactics' again. There is enough of that in these forums already and it does not serve any purpose.

The different CW game modes still need a ton of balancing (invasion objectives too easy to destroy, counter attack spawn camp on defender site etc). So far it has been my impression that PGI does not intend to change these things until CW phase 3. So you'll just have to live with it and hope that most people just want all the robots to fight each other.

#3 Jaxom Adar

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:11 AM

All CW maps and game modes need more. Everyone knows that. I would like to see more options than run through a valley. Why not straight up skrimage like they have in Public drops. Conquest mode on a large map that would require mechs to stay around the objective to get points, and have the mechs themselves as points. Something that would lead to more diverse tactics other than what we have.

#4 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:27 AM

View PostNerdboard, on 06 December 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

This has been an issue since the map came out. And it was pointed out many times with not reaction so far.

^^ THIS. As long as this problem has been mentioned on the forums and PGI choose not do to anyhting about it, I assume it's "working as intended", thus legitimate and deliberately integrated into the game by PGI. kthxbye.

#5 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostHalf Ear, on 06 December 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Sorry to scratch up some of your mechs....

Their tactic.. get up on mountain to snipe down omega on counter attack (others take down Gen 2 this way), get 2 kills on the suckers that exit the gate then run back to their drop ship area for 20 minutes of the game.

I can say the issue is not that you ran for your mommy but that you did not have to enter the complex to take out omega/gen 2.

Considering that PGI would shields around the gens and omega to force the attackers hit it from a specific POV while IN the complex, it really brings to the point of what were they ....

nm.

PS it did not help that the Clan team played like pugs though, after the fact... Posted Image or teams from both side would pick on omega or Gen 2 from that spot...

It is possible that they were Steiners posing as Davions.... Posted Image

Oh man.. you are so uninformed..

Most CW maps have locations from where you can snipe omega or the gens with long range. Some are inside the gate, some outside, but just about every map has such spots.

We use them cose' we can. And personally, I don't consider it dishonorable to use what you got. Its not like its farming the system or exploiting the maps.

Its a valid strategy, and serious players already know how to defend against such tactics and how to counter snipers.

On Emerald Taiga that you mentioned, the counter-snipe is using your own sniper and body blocking the gen/omega.

I've actually lost a few mechs to capable counter-snipers.

I did get the gen though Posted Image (Muhahaha)

Also, think about it..

These spots are so far not well-known. Its sort of a "sniper's edge", and it actually makes bringing snipe builds useful for CW. And since LOTS of people love to snipe stuff.. yes, PGI will cater to them by not fixing this.

If you think about it.. maps like Emerald Taiga are actually GREAT, because ANY BUILD can be useful.

You can bring a brawler and brawl between the buildings. You can bring a sniper and snipe from spawn-mountain or the sniper's nest outside the gate. You can bring LRM's and shoot over the high ridges.

Basically, any build is useful, and that's what makes Emerald Taiga one of my favorite maps in the whole game..

Edited by Vellron2005, 08 December 2015 - 03:27 AM.

#6 YaKillinMeSmalls

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Aww, looks like poor Baby Bear got a taste of his own medicine. Clans have been sniping objectives from outside the gate and running back to spawn since the beginning.

#7 Apewar

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

is it possible to have the objectives sunken? would this be better or worse?

#8 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

Lets put the Gen2 thing in perspective; ONE of THREE initial objectives can be destroyed from long range.

Now any decent player/ Drop Commander would say ""OK, you get that one for free but now I only need to split my attention/forces across TWO O-Gens. Come at me bro'" It is essentially sacrificing one O-Gen to allow you saturate the defence of the other two and IMO the WORST thing you could do is body block the O-Gen, as this allows the sniper to soften you up for the eventual push for the other two O-Gens but just my opinion.

#9 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 09 December 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Lets put the Gen2 thing in perspective; ONE of THREE initial objectives can be destroyed from long range.

Now any decent player/ Drop Commander would say ""OK, you get that one for free but now I only need to split my attention/forces across TWO O-Gens. Come at me bro'" It is essentially sacrificing one O-Gen to allow you saturate the defence of the other two and IMO the WORST thing you could do is body block the O-Gen, as this allows the sniper to soften you up for the eventual push for the other two O-Gens but just my opinion.

He's talking about Omega in Counter-Attack. But even then, all the defending team has to do is turtle up in their drop zone and the attacking team can blow up Omega all they want and still lose. The problem is people get impatient and charge out death-or-glory and get shot to death and bam, the tables turn.

#10 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 08 December 2015 - 03:26 AM, said:

We use them cose' we can. And personally, I don't consider it dishonorable to use what you got. Its not like its farming the system or exploiting the maps.

Actually from the ouside it is to an exploit. Inside the gates i don't care - thats your ground, if you can not hold it you won't make it anyway.

#11 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

View PostKuritaclan, on 09 December 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

Actually from the ouside it is to an exploit. Inside the gates i don't care - thats your ground, if you can not hold it you won't make it anyway.

i totally agree with that - it is an exploit (not the only one on CW maps) and i use exploits as well, the developer has to remove them with patches, but even so its fun

#12 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

Unless PGI chose to remove such instances or publicly admit they are flaws in the map they are legit...

Calling out specific factions for taking advantage of the way the map is designed is not as legit, because quite honestly you are going to find that EVERY faction (be it one unit or many) will take advantage of the maps in some way or another. It's nothing new.

Just like meta, if its going to give an edge on winning it will be used. And until it comes out as an unintentional design flaw, it is a viable tactic.

Is it an exploit? Possibly.. ..that will depend on whether or not PGI intentionally allowed the map to be played that way and if they decide to take it out when/if the map is updated.

As we have seen though, from adding the gen covers to re positioning gens and other map changes - this is not the first time the map and game mode design has been exploited..

Edited by White Bear 84, 09 December 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#13 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 09 December 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Unless PGI chose to remove such instances or publicly admit they are flaws in the map they are legit...

Calling out specific factions for taking advantage of the way the map is designed is not as legit, because quite honestly you are going to find that EVERY faction (be it one unit or many) will take advantage of the maps in some way or another. It's nothing new.

Just like meta, if its going to give an edge on winning it will be used. And until it comes out as an unintentional design flaw, it is a viable tactic.

Your point does bother me.

Let's say for some reason IS had no range Quirks and can not shot the Generators with any given Mech but Clans can. How is that not faction based. And why do you think that let's say a 12man who declare someone to bring a mech who can abuse that weak map design should be in a better spot than 12 random guys who drop on it and do not coordinate to declare someone for this abuse tu use as an unfair advantage. Not to say that a 12 man premade would have an advantage by default over a non 12 man, but they will come up with even more advantages, what do not really favour a game that is meant to be fun because all have "nearly equal" starting conditions.

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 09 December 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Is it an exploit? Possibly.. ..that will depend on whether or not PGI intentionally allowed the map to be played that way and if they decide to take it out when/if the map is updated.

As we have seen though, from adding the gen covers to re positioning gens and other map changes - this is not the first time the map and game mode design has been exploited..

Buy making changes to the gens to cover them, I would assume that PGIs intention is to prevent such things. So to speak, they did a bad job on fixing all issues. However it depends on the moves of PGI, so yes you are correct that there is a rest of a possibility that PGI intentionally allowed it to stay in maps - but I and many other doubt this.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 09 December 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#14 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:15 AM

Still no fix in Dec15 patch. Working as intended.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users