ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:39 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 07 December 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

I've come to realize the fault lies with us.

PGI made this game and CW with only mercs in mind. It was never about factions. Factions were an afterthought. We were all supposed to just hop factions and unit tags and the map be largely irrelevant save for who had the most tags on worlds. It was always just supposed to be a pretty leaderboard that meant nothing and only had location names in common with Battletech.

Well, not gonna touch the rest of your SALT, but if that first supposition were true, they never should have introduced the Clans at all. Since The two are pretty mutually exclusive.

#22 Lucid Phoenix Kerensky

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

Proof we run Waffles..

http://www.twitch.tv...dnpg/v/28323407

#23 Uncl Munkeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 329 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

It's just groundhog day over and over again.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

View PostLucid Phoenix Kerensky, on 07 December 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

You come near my waffles, I WILL beat you like a redheaded stepchild...... Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll slap you so hard your whole dang sibko will feel it!!

#25 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 December 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

Well, not gonna touch the rest of your SALT, but if that first supposition were true, they never should have introduced the Clans at all. Since The two are pretty mutually exclusive.

They introduced the Clans to make money. They certainly didn't do it to 'make the game better' or make it more 'battletech'.

That we want more is our own issue. Ironically if you look back over the games history and development PGI has been pretty up front with what they've delivered.

Hence the salt. That's a pretty depressing thing to realize.

#26 Uncl Munkeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 329 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 December 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

You come near my waffles, I WILL beat you like a redheaded stepchild...... Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll slap you so hard your whole dang sibko will feel it!!

Yeah, you forgot the catsup...

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostUncle Monkey, on 07 December 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Yeah, you forgot the catsup...

Posted Image

#28 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 December 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

wait...they ruin waffles!?!?!?!?!

That calls for a Trial of Annihilation!

Waffles? Who gives a **** about waffles?

I prefer crêpes, with anchovies and spinach for entree, and with bananas and Nutella for dessert.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 December 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

Waffles? Who gives a **** about waffles?

I prefer crêpes, with anchovies and spinach for entree, and with bananas and Nutella for dessert.

crepes.... wussy french attempts at hotcakes.... (oh wait, is it too soon to insult the french yet?)

BTW, if going savory, at least go for a nice seafood mix, with shrimp and scallops in a white wine sauce, with sauteed onions and mushrooms and spinach.

And A good cabernet and lingonberry sauce, with a dab of philly, beats nutella, any day of the week.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 December 2015 - 09:11 PM.

#30 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

Every CW should be a season and whoever ends the finale of battle of Tuk wins that season. Gets the glory, wins that season. Take a break for a week or two and start the next season.

About once a month have PGI hold a tourney and recreate one of the historical battles from the lore like we do with Tuk now and tell the story of the war with it.

#31 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 07 December 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

I've come to realize the fault lies with us.

PGI made this game and CW with only mercs in mind. It was never about factions. Factions were an afterthought. We were all supposed to just hop factions and unit tags and the map be largely irrelevant save for who had the most tags on worlds. It was always just supposed to be a pretty leaderboard that meant nothing and only had location names in common with Battletech.

That we wanted CW, indeed MW:O to be more than a minimum viable product that PGI cared half as much about as most the dedicated players do was our own error. To which end....

why would you care that you get your name tag on Terra? Both events were broken as ****, game balance is terrible and nobody is ever going to say that -MS- or SWOL is 'the best unit' in MW:O. Not that you're not great guys I'm sure and a ton of people all in the same unit but winning the lottery is a bigger testament to skill than winning a PGI event.

Please don't take this as a slam. It's not intended that way. Not against any player unit for that matter. The concept of the thread is funny and that alone is worth up-votes. To say that 'winning' any event that PGI has put out, especially one so fundamentally flawed and bad as this, is something you want to memorialize....

You guys should be remembered for a lot more worthwhile stuff than that. Showing up for example. Having made threads on the forums that passed 20 pages. Keeping hundreds of players in this game who quite rationally should have moved on to better expenditures of their time. Those deserve kudos. Having been party to crap like the two Tuk events.... that's something you want to take a long shower from and treat like that one time that awkward thing happened in the unit hot-tub after everyone was drinking. Just don't talk about it and everyone will be happier.

That's sort of the point. It DOESN'T matter.

Everything in CW is going to be reset in a couple days. CW may have its flaws, and it wouldn't count anyway because it's a beta, but the point still remains that Clan Wolf won the 1st Tukayyid, held all territory surrounding Terra for nearly 8 months, and won the 2nd Tukayyid. The very least PGI could do is show some form of conclusion to the whole debacle, aside from turning one of the most infamous and recognized battles from lore into a, "That's all folks, thanks for participating!" thing. I mean, is the future Battle of Tukayyid going to be the close of a CW season? If so, why are they just copying the name for the event without including the actual goals of the event? IS wins, Terra is safe, and Clans are forced to a truce. Clans win, Terra is claimed. Just a simple showing of Terra under Clan control (doesn't even need to be Wolf) would be enough for us to go, "Okay, that days long battle is finally concluded. We've reached our goal, let's reset now."

Why are people getting up in arms about mercs pulling the majority of the weight for the battle? This isn't about the lore. It's about PGI copying the name of a famous battle, and not even putting forth the minimum required effort to write a description for the freaking planet, what the reason for the battle is for, or what's at stake for each side if they win/lose. Why call it the Battle of Tukayyid, if absolutely nothing about the actual battle is there? They could have simply called it, "Clans vs. IS," and nothing about the event would be any different. The only difference is we wouldn't be expecting the lore-based ending.

It's just another thing on top of many in this game, where there lies a very simple solution that would add much needed depth and purpose. Just another thing in the, "Wouldn't it be great IF...?" category that PGI doesn't seem to care about.

For example, wouldn't it be great if the Battle of Tukayyid was just the first of many possible outcomes and conclusions for a CW season?

Possible season conclusions being:
1. Battle of Tukayyid is first event, started when Clans reach a certain distance from Terra.
1a: Clan Win: Terra falls under Clan ownership. CW season ends. Map is reset.
1b: IS Win: Terra is safe. Clans lose all territory below truce line. CW map switches to Clan homeworlds. A "micro-season" of CW starts.

2. Battle of Strana Mechty is second event, started when IS reach a certain distance to Strana Mechty.
2a: Clan Win: Strana Mechty is safe. IS lose all territory gained in homeworlds. CW map switches back to Inner Sphere. Clans must fight and capture territory back to Terra to initiate another Tukayyid battle.
2b: IS Win: Strana Mechty falls under IS ownership. CW season ends. Map is reset.

A relatively simple concept that keeps CW in a state of being "somewhat" dynamic. Seasons can end relatively quickly, or they can drag on for many months. The important thing is there's an "end goal" for both sides.

The problem I have with this whole Tukayyid thing this weekend, is I ask myself, "What exactly was the point of playing CW, if winning Tukayyid twice, and keeping Terra surrounded for most of the year, meant absolutely nothing?" Why bother playing CW when it eventually goes live, if I know that there's nothing at the end of the tunnel other than a map reset?

#32 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

And then there's me, hiding in my corner over here, just hoping Phase III does something interesting...

#33 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 07 December 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Wolf? Don't you mean Merc corps should get terra? Every time MS, the 228 etc moved out of wolf you got eaten up quickly.

I support making terra an official merc homeworld.

isnt that outreach?

#34 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostBlueduck, on 07 December 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

Lol... buttface... the buttface... must not think about the buttface...
Gargoyle really needs some love. Not into its buttface.
Buttface.

#35 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:17 PM

Since Clans have so many bad Mechs, why not. Have seen only Timbers, Stormcrows, Ebon Jags and Cheeters all weekend with the ocassional Warhawk.

#36 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 07 December 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

Goodbye Mr Gargles.

You won't be missed.

Perhaps you'll be reincarnated as a Battlemech, capable of carrying Dual Gauss+LPL, at 80 Kph.

RIP Mr. Gargles. We hardly knew ye glow.

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 07 December 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

That's sort of the point. It DOESN'T matter.

Everything in CW is going to be reset in a couple days. CW may have its flaws, and it wouldn't count anyway because it's a beta, but the point still remains that Clan Wolf won the 1st Tukayyid, held all territory surrounding Terra for nearly 8 months, and won the 2nd Tukayyid. The very least PGI could do is show some form of conclusion to the whole debacle, aside from turning one of the most infamous and recognized battles from lore into a, "That's all folks, thanks for participating!" thing. I mean, is the future Battle of Tukayyid going to be the close of a CW season? If so, why are they just copying the name for the event without including the actual goals of the event? IS wins, Terra is safe, and Clans are forced to a truce. Clans win, Terra is claimed. Just a simple showing of Terra under Clan control (doesn't even need to be Wolf) would be enough for us to go, "Okay, that days long battle is finally concluded. We've reached our goal, let's reset now."

Why are people getting up in arms about mercs pulling the majority of the weight for the battle? This isn't about the lore. It's about PGI copying the name of a famous battle, and not even putting forth the minimum required effort to write a description for the freaking planet, what the reason for the battle is for, or what's at stake for each side if they win/lose. Why call it the Battle of Tukayyid, if absolutely nothing about the actual battle is there? They could have simply called it, "Clans vs. IS," and nothing about the event would be any different. The only difference is we wouldn't be expecting the lore-based ending.

It's just another thing on top of many in this game, where there lies a very simple solution that would add much needed depth and purpose. Just another thing in the, "Wouldn't it be great IF...?" category that PGI doesn't seem to care about.

For example, wouldn't it be great if the Battle of Tukayyid was just the first of many possible outcomes and conclusions for a CW season?

Possible season conclusions being:
1. Battle of Tukayyid is first event, started when Clans reach a certain distance from Terra.
1a: Clan Win: Terra falls under Clan ownership. CW season ends. Map is reset.
1b: IS Win: Terra is safe. Clans lose all territory below truce line. CW map switches to Clan homeworlds. A "micro-season" of CW starts.

2. Battle of Strana Mechty is second event, started when IS reach a certain distance to Strana Mechty.
2a: Clan Win: Strana Mechty is safe. IS lose all territory gained in homeworlds. CW map switches back to Inner Sphere. Clans must fight and capture territory back to Terra to initiate another Tukayyid battle.
2b: IS Win: Strana Mechty falls under IS ownership. CW season ends. Map is reset.

A relatively simple concept that keeps CW in a state of being "somewhat" dynamic. Seasons can end relatively quickly, or they can drag on for many months. The important thing is there's an "end goal" for both sides.

The problem I have with this whole Tukayyid thing this weekend, is I ask myself, "What exactly was the point of playing CW, if winning Tukayyid twice, and keeping Terra surrounded for most of the year, meant absolutely nothing?" Why bother playing CW when it eventually goes live, if I know that there's nothing at the end of the tunnel other than a map reset?

Well, it's really won by Mercstar, so meh.

But, to your more important discussion point... it's a minimally viable event. I know it's a beta, but there honestly is no afterthought into making things interesting or having a point to winning a planet (whether it is Tukayyid, or any random planet).

It's been like this since Day 1, even when Clans were being added to the game.

Why were you expecting a different result?

#37 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

You have hit on the absolute crux of it.

The games balance is absolutely broken and PGI has consistently failed for years to balance it, or even take balance seriously. CW still has no real purpose or even balance mechanics of its own.

There is no point, it's all broke as **** and winning in cw isn't important or a big deal. We're all idiots for having shown up. CW version 3 does nothing to fix those issues or add purpose, it just adds some 4 man matches to account for low population - nothing to make it appeal to more people.

#38 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Threatening a Gargoyle? You might get better results if you threaten to kill a clown.

#39 Azzgaroth

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

Best post I ever seen !!!!!

#40 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company