Mechwarrior Online Now Available On Steam!

251 replies to this topic

#21 MacKJames

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

Wondering if I should stick with the current launcher or switch over to Steam. The only thing I'd like with the Steam launcher is it will update automatically without me having to open the launcher and start it manually.

Other thing I'm curriouse about is will Steam sales have any bearing on this game or will everything be inline with one another? I assume they'll be inline but I'm not sure how that all works.

#22 D A N K M E M E S

• PipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

My recomendation for the steam page, is to get rid of about half the screenshots and add actual ingame, player screens/cockpit view screenshots.

This would give a more accurate representation of the gameplay.

Other than that, I cant wait to smash some noobs. ;D

#23 Carchemish

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

View PostCpt Leonidas, on 08 December 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hopefully there will be a lot of new players joining our ranks. It is important to remember what a steep learning curve mwo is. Try to stay classy mwo community and support the incoming pilots.

Yes, this!

Remember that your cries of "stupid noob" or the equivalent will be taken seriously by ACTUAL new players. Welcome them in, and they'll tell their friends. Queue times drop, PGI makes some more bank, game develops faster. Win Win Win.

#24 BobTheBully

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

Will MC cost the same with steam credit vs through your web site?

#25 Lance425

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostNotARobot, on 08 December 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

My recomendation for the steam page, is to get rid of about half the screenshots and add actual ingame, player screens/cockpit view screenshots.

Other than that, I cant wait to smash some noobs. ;D

Agreed about this. New players need to know the game is predominantly first person.

#26 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

I know I don't have to use the steam but I like things to be sort of centralized.

Now my question, can I copy-paste the folder rather than re-download the game? (downloading big files will take a long time so I'm thinking to paste the current MWO files to the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\" folder)

Last time I tried with other game and the steam did not recognise the pasted files. Planetside2 and the Dota2 I tried to a friend's computer, they sstill need to re-download the whole game. What happened was:
1. Clicked the Play on the game.
2. Stopped the download progress.
3. Copy-Pasted the folders and deleted the files in "downloading" folder.
4. Restart the steam, and didn't work.

(Or do I just need to [color=#00FFFF]Click Verify Integrity of Game Cache[/color]? didn't know that even exist)

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 08 December 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#27 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 08 December 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

The Steam install will share your existing Profile data (in \Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\), including your weapon groups and in-game settings.

Yes, you'll be able to continue running MWO as normal.

If I'm not wrong, removing the standalone MWO client doesn't affect "\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\" right?

#28 Cptn Goodvibes Pig of Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 125 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

Am I correct in assuming that if I download MWO to my Steam account, that the client data from my current MWO installation will now default to to my existing Steam account name? That is, I can use the Steam introduction as a method to change my current MWO player name to the same one that I already use in other games on Steam.

#29 Stealth 1S1K

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

How would the Steam Log in affect those with various accounts on one computer yet having only one steam?
e.g. My kids play MWO on their own usernames, will we be able to switch users through steam?

and yes I let my kids use my computer :)

Edited by Stealth 1S1K, 08 December 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#30 Amer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

"Steam Performance Packs will be priced using a Steam-recommended regional pricing structure. MC purchased using Steam Wallet funds will use standard USD exchange rates."

I get the business reason, but the MC part of the quote is still a bit awkward. Why bother with regional prices for the first pack in that case, if MC sold via steam is much more expensive vs starter packs.

Edited by Amer, 08 December 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#31 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostKojak2000, on 08 December 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

18 months ago I would've considered a Steam launch as nothing more than a pipe dream, but PGI has improved so much since dropping the dead weight that was IGP.

Nice work, keep the improvements going.

This.

It has been a much less stressful experience as a player since that time.

#32 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 08 December 2015 - 09:18 PM, said:

This.

It has been a much less stressful experience as a player since that time.

the fact CW actually came into existence helped too. not to mention all the mechs we've gotten since as well, most were mechs people had said they'd wanted for awhile, after all.

I remember people asking for the Black Knight and Mauler as far back as Closed Beta, to say nothing of the Unseens we're getting now.

#33 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Well now, as a guy who's been with MWO since it's inception with IGP (who were incompetent publishers) and a founder, this has been quite a road. Between the 3PV debacle, cool shot rage, LRM hell storms, IGP hell storm that derailed a great deal of promises cause IGP wants munny, death threats from the ex-local neanderthals, and HUD bugs galore (hardcore mode for some of us) most would just shatter apart like those developers for Hawken. Yet, here you guys are, going for a steam release after a wave of general improvements. I'll be honest, this game has WAYS to go and needs quite a bit of polish if it wants to survive and thrive in Steam (CW needs lots of major refittings, balancing issues normal with multiplayer games and the like), but looking back at the early years of 2012, the game has technically improved itself.

With that in mind, this wee old veteran has this to say: good luck with thy steam release, and let there be good fortune for this game in the coming future.

Edited by Magic Murder Bag, 08 December 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#34 Zatosan

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostNotARobot, on 08 December 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

This is a big deal, in my opinion. There's not a single screenshot with a view of gameplay perspective and even the game footage in the video doesn't seem to show a HUD when it's in-cockpit footage (I only watched it once, so maybe I missed.)

I think you guys really better correct this and swap out most of the screenshots to show cockpit perspective and 3rd person views with the HUD shown. This could easily be a source of negative votes from people not understanding that it's a cockpit simulation. It's hard to know how the game might actually play from looking at those shots... and barely from the video, IMO (although I like the video.)

Don't set yourselves up for a guaranteed set of negative ratings simply due to this "misrepresenting" type of thing. It's going to be rough enough with the people getting roflstomped because of the learning curve. (And I sure hope the community is kind and welcoming to the new players, or it's going to be ugly.)

#35 Perilthecat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 08 December 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

Steam Wallet funds can be used to purchase MC and the Steam Performance Packs.

Steam Performance Packs will be priced using a Steam-recommended regional pricing structure.
MC purchased using Steam Wallet funds will use standard exchange rates.

Please, for the love of everything good and stompy, consider implementing a "regional pricing structure" across the board.

The end of 2015 is marking the end of paid content being a justifiable value proposition for me. The 30% exchange markup when going from USD to CAD is turning a luxury item into a money burner. Why pay $75 for four variants of one chassis when I can buy Fallout 4?

I'm sad because I want to keep financially supporting you guys, but if I'm going to give money away it'll be to charity, y'know?

#36 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

View PostStealth 1S1K, on 08 December 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

How would the Steam Log in affect those with various accounts on one computer yet having only one steam?
e.g. My kids play MWO on their own usernames, will we be able to switch users through steam?

and yes I let my kids use my computer Posted Image

I would like for pgi to clarify this too, as well as other people using my pc to play mwo sometimes I also have a few alt accounts. Will it just be the first account you log into from steam that gets linked? If thats the case you should make that very clear.

#37 LightningStorm

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts
  • Locationİstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

I agree with those who are in favor of using in game screenshots with HUD and stuff and i think it should look like this
1st picture - from close perspective showing a combat from spectator view which includes one mech of every weight class using different kinds of weapons, jumpjetting and stuff
2nd picture - actual gameplay screen, showing most of the cockpit (by using higher fov value), in a mech with distinctive cockpit with preferably weapons showing like jagermech or shadowhawk, and also in an urban area to indicate how big mechs are
3rd picture - gameplay screen from in game 3rd person view
4th picture - showing an unfinished mech in mechlab, so viewers can easily understand that this game offers a good amount of customization
5th picture - showing CW map

View PostAmer, on 08 December 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

"Steam Performance Packs will be priced using a Steam-recommended regional pricing structure. MC purchased using Steam Wallet funds will use standard USD exchange rates."

I get the business reason, but the MC part of the quote is still a bit awkward. Why bother with regional prices for the first pack in that case, if MC sold via steam is much more expensive vs starter packs.

I think they want to attract people who doesn't have much time to grind but also don't want to give up their earnings but what they don't realize is that this also reduces their gains in poorer countries.
You can observe nearly same procedure in LOL: There were only a few servers early in the game and they had same billing price for purchases in every country. After they started opening servers in regional places (my country was the first example of this), they adapted the price to economy of people living in there, and this made people to buy things a lot more than they did before. After a few years, they decided to revert prices back to their original value, and of course lots of people stopped purchasing at all, then they again did reduce the prices but not to what it was before to reclaim most of them.
As for steam, their regional prices also aren't actual regional prices. More specifically; a games price costs 40$ in its website and 60TL(20$) in steam but since we don't earn our wages as dollars it isn't 20 units of money to us, and also considering the fact that US income of average people is 1.5 times the income of average people here. So, for average people in this country paying 20$ actually feels like paying 90$ for average people in US (20$*3(value of currency)*1.5(average income multiplier). 90$ minus the original price, 60$ gives you the feeling of actual difference in "regional pricing" as an average person living in US which is 30$ in this instance.
My advice is, as PGI if you are going for complete economic purpose; then after advertising in poorer countries use lower prices in them to create a good amount of paying player base then increase prices gradually so they will still stay as paying customers. (boiling frog anecdote)

#38 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:04 PM

Too bad about the MC being regular exchange rates, but the performance packs are nice. :3

View PostAmer, on 08 December 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

I don't have the data they do. Steam has safeguards to prevent you from buying things at the price of a cheaper region and you can't trade MC or things purchased with MC anyway.

Perhaps the majority of their MC purchases are in regions that would have significantly lower rates or that people might flock to Steam to buy MC and their regular MC revenue will take a hit both from the lower rates and the cut from Steam.

I'm from the Philippines so I'd love to buy at my regional rates but I guess I'll wait and see how it goes and what other packs they put up on Steam (if any) :)

Edited by Elizander, 08 December 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#39 Mr Inconsistent

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostPerilthecat, on 08 December 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

Please, for the love of everything good and stompy, consider implementing a "regional pricing structure" across the board.

The end of 2015 is marking the end of paid content being a justifiable value proposition for me. The 30% exchange markup when going from USD to CAD is turning a luxury item into a money burner. Why pay $75 for four variants of one chassis when I can buy Fallout 4?

I'm sad because I want to keep financially supporting you guys, but if I'm going to give money away it'll be to charity, y'know?

I agree partially with this. USD to AUD conversion is a killer with the exchange rate like it is. Also have major issues getting slugged with a foreign transaction fee on any payment method chosen. I've spent 'too much' on the game regardless of the currency, however the value for the dollars spent is a bit beyond at present.

#40 Scanz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

hater gonna hate . all of them going to steam forum now :( ********

View PostPerilthecat, on 08 December 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

u can use standart site for this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users