Hiding Debate Solved

73 replies to this topic

#1 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:02 AM

I saw a lot of discussions in the past about hiding being 'illigal' or not. Guess thats solved now.

Directly from the code of conduct:

Shutting Down your ‘Mech or avoiding engagements with the enemy, and when doing so might be considered non-participation

All pilots have access to a Shutdown command for their ‘Mechs, mapped by default to the ‘P’ key and listed as ‘Toggle Power’ in the keyboard menu.
The primary benefit to shutting down your ‘Mech is that it will no longer appear on enemy radar. In the deciding moments of a close match with few ‘Mechs left standing on the battlefield, effective use of the shutdown mechanic and/or evasion tactics has the potential to provide you with the following benefits:
  • Breaking a target lock
  • Appearing ‘heat neutral’ on maps where Thermal Vision might commonly be used
  • Presenting on opportunity for staging an ambush
  • Evading detection long enough to secure a win through Conquest points
  • Evading detection long enough to secure a timer expiration win when you have superior numbers, in circumstances where you may be too critically damaged to otherwise risk a direct engagement with the enemy
The above situations are considered to be within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended to be used for.

There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:
  • Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.
  • Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
  • Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.
Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

#2 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

we do not have a in-game report utility yet though so their updated CoC is moot..

Edited by mogs01gt, 16 December 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#3 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:06 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 16 December 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

we do not have a in-game report utility yet though so their updated CoC is mute.

Except... we do? Posted Image

#4 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,436 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:09 AM

Now we just need the MWO police to enforce it.

Posted Image

#5 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostSquirg, on 16 December 2015 - 07:06 AM, said:

Except... we do? Posted Image

I must have missed that in a recent patch. Where is it?

#6 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:10 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 16 December 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

I must have missed that in a recent patch. Where is it?

You click on the person's name while TAB'ed or in the end-game screen.

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:16 AM

View Postmark v92, on 16 December 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

• Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.

This one is kind of bothersome because there is actually two matches happening simultaneously - The drop, and the match for the planet.
Holding a good group in a match to limit is actually a reasonable strategy to keep their impact on the match for the planet controlled.

#8 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 16 December 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

You click on the person's name while TAB'ed or in the end-game screen.

ohh well that explains it,,Im rarely at the end-game screen lol. Once the game is done, Im out and on to the next.

Edited by mogs01gt, 16 December 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#9 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

The problem is what is helpful or not can be subjective. Often when someone is being an *** it's pretty clear, but not always.

I imagine a lot of people have been using their 5 daily reports in short order, probably when it wasn't even warranted. PGI has to filter through all the spam reports to find something that requires action.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 16 December 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#10 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:20 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 16 December 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

we do not have a in-game report utility yet though so their updated CoC is mute.

moot sir... the point would be moot... but we do have an in game reporting function

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

View Postsycocys, on 16 December 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

This one is kind of bothersome because there is actually two matches happening simultaneously - The drop, and the match for the planet.
Holding a good group in a match to limit is actually a reasonable strategy to keep their impact on the match for the planet controlled.

but the condition is "in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory" winning. why would you on a game in a losing condition artificially increase the time to lose? it wouldjust paly intot he hands of your opponents faction. lose fats and retry another drop would make more sense.

when on winning side you can extend it.

#12 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

View Postsycocys, on 16 December 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

correct.
depends tho, you can stall the game without actualy hiding behind a rock. If your team decides to camp the dropzone you can stall out the game for pretty long.(easely for the 30min)

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 16 December 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

but the condition is "in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory" winning. why would you on a game in a losing condition artificially increase the time to lose? it wouldjust paly intot he hands of your opponents faction. lose fats and retry another drop would make more sense.

when on winning side you can extend it.

Because in terms of losing the planet - Losing 1 pie every 30 minutes while the rest of your faction recovers/gains other pies is more advantageous than letting that group drop every 15 minute and possibly/probably taking another piece of pie.

If you can stop that one team from playing enough matches to swing the planet into their control - then it is a completely viable strategy even if you are going to lose the drop.

#14 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

View Postmark v92, on 16 December 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

I saw a lot of discussions in the past about hiding being 'illigal' or not. Guess thats solved now.

Directly from the code of conduct:

[... reasonable stuff ...]

Wow, that is a really reasonable description and definition of what is constructive and what is unconstructive.
(No irony, repeat: no irony).

I like it :-D.

Edited by Paigan, 16 December 2015 - 07:48 AM.

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:02 AM

View Postsycocys, on 16 December 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

Because in terms of losing the planet - Losing 1 pie every 30 minutes while the rest of your faction recovers/gains other pies is more advantageous than letting that group drop every 15 minute and possibly/probably taking another piece of pie.

If you can stop that one team from playing enough matches to swing the planet into their control - then it is a completely viable strategy even if you are going to lose the drop.

PGI, just do this already instead of the silly "take 51% of the slots before ceasefire for the win" scheme we have now.

#16 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostMystere, on 16 December 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

PGI, just do this already instead of the silly "take 51% of the slots before ceasefire for the win" scheme we have now.

If only they would look at the forums Mystere. Great post.

#17 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

Personally I think players that do that suck donkey balls, but putting it in the CoC is a gesture at best.

I'd rather report their location to the team rather than the Devs.

Better yet, give the team that's losing a vote to reveal any remaining shut down mechs to the enemy. Notice i said shut down...not active.

#18 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

I kind of feel like this was solved ages ago. The question was always: will they enforce the rules? And I don't know about that. I really don't know what kind of effect it has when I report someone for non-participation.

#19 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:06 AM

Seems like all points lead to the players being forced to fight to the death, which I doubt is conducive to a healthy playerbase...

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

the whole system is probibly a placebo. sure you can report anything that offends you really, i dont think anyone actually reviews logs. i just think they figure out how many marks you get over time, and automatically send out a warning or ban as required. i dont think humans touch it at all. the system can search chat logs for profanity, or look at stats and determine how much team damage/kills you get. then it stamps you with a badness rating, and if your badness exceeds a threshold you get banned. likewise habitual complainers can also be filtered out, because if you didnt the system could be exploited for report trolling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users