252 replies to this topic

#1 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hello, I'm Fernando, known by my very amateur repaints and pretentious talks in this forum. I'm also a half-time semi-professional (for now) game designer and serial game modder. For the last 15 years I made free mods like Battlefield Vietnam Arsenal and Making History Deadlock (to name a few) and I'm developing my own indie video game (I will talk about my to-be-released long-time-in-development MMO game somewhere else).

Well, yesterday I had an epiphany, and I spent every free minute of the last 24 hours (yes, I didn't sleep) to plan this game, write the rules (almost done) and make the art. It's heavily inspired by the TT Battletech (with some BT CCG flavor and MWO feel) but it's played with cards, a chess board and mechs' miniatures.

I give you... MWO Chess.

Rule Book PDF (version 1.6).

Version 1.6 major changes: all cards stats reviewed, revised rules (including new "quick start" rules), 16 new mechs and more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some images:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Update - the MWO Chess is mostly abandoned, but I released other MWO related games:

MWO Unofficial Trumps
MWO Unofficial Cardgame (beta)

Edited by Odanan, 12 April 2016 - 04:52 AM.

#2 Sunny0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationMars / Glass Sphere No. 93

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

Well looks nice and great idea, but what is the meaning of the numbers on the card.

And tell us the rules! B)

Edited by Sunny0, 12 July 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#3 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

PGI lawsuit in 3... 2... 1...

B)

cards look cool... those would make nice posters

Edited by Dagger6T6, 12 July 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#4 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Now this looks interesting...I cannot wait to see it in its finished form. I think it would be rather cool! Like Dagger6T6 said be very careful with this stuff. I hope this doesn't end up with a fine or something. Then again you are not making any profit from it so. I think you SHOULD be ok. If anything PGI will pay you for the rights B)

#5 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Updated!

I managed to get some time to paste the rules here. Not finished yet.

#6 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'm surprised of how few comments where posted here. I hoped for more interest. :D

#7 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• 1,217 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

This is incredible!

Will follow the topic

#8 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

My name is Community Manager Erlam, and I approve of this game :D

#9 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Someone noted that the Trebuchet is too cheap (it's deadly because of the movement). I might increase the cost to 5.

#10 Wolfclaw

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,510 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSpring, Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostOdanan, on 12 July 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

Hello, I'm Fernando, known by my very amateur repaints and pretentious talks in this forum. I'm also a half-time semi-professional (for now) game designer and serial game modder. For the last 15 years I made free mods like Battlefield Vietnam Arsenal and Making History Deadlock (to name a few) and I'm developing my own indie video games (I will talk about my to-be-released long-time-in-development MMO game somewhere else).

Well, yesterday I had an epiphany, and I spent every free minute of the last 24 hours (yes, I didn't sleep) to plan this game, write the rules (almost done) and make the art. It's heavily inspired by the TT Battletech (with some BT CCG flavor and MWO feel) but it's played with cards, a chess board and mechs' miniatures.

I will be posting the detailed rules and more art as soon I can squeeze some time. I hope until tomorrow you can start playing my game.

...I give you the MWO Card/Board Game!

Here is a sneak peek of the mechs' cards:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Update1 - Mechs' stats explained:
Posted Image

Update2: Rules (partial)

Starting the game

You will need a chess board, counters (or d6s), one deck of mechs’ cards for each player, 1 miniature for each mech in game (if you don’t have proper mechs’ minis, there will be paper mech minis to print in the Appendix) and one deck of faction cards.

(…)

Buying mechs

(…)

Turn Phases
  • Initialize Phase:
    • The player untaps all of his Tapped mechs.
    • If he has a mech Shutdown, the mech becomes Tapped.
Mechs’ Abilities
  • Movement Phase:
    • A player can move each of his untapped mechs up to the value of its Speed in squares.
    • If a mech starts its Movement Phase inside an enemy Base square, it starts to Capture the enemy base.
    • A mech can’t move in diagonal.
  • Attack Phase:
    • Each untapped player’s mech can deal damage to an opponent mech.
    • The player will choose an opposing mech in range (Long, Medium or Short).
    • A Long Range attack is dealt when the opposing mech is 3 straight squares of distance from the attacking mech.
    • A Medium Range attack is dealt when the opposing mech is 2 straight squares from the attacking mech.
    • A Short Range attack is dealt when the opposing mech is 1 straight square from the attacking mech.
    • There must not be any other mech (even from the same team) or obstacle between the attacking mech and the target. If there is, the target is considered in Cover.
    • A mech can’t attack other mech in diagonal.
    • The attacked mech receives 1 Damage in its Armor for each point of attack in the range.
    • If that mech’s damage points are equal or more than its Armor, it is Destroyed, thus removed from the game.
    • A mech can’t attack more than once in a turn.
    • Tap any mech that attacked.
    • If a player can chooses not to attack with a mech. Even if a mech doesn’t attack in the turn it is tapped after at the end of this phase.
  • Indirect Fire X
    • Used in: player’s Attack Phase, when declaring an attack.
    • Effect: a mech using Long or Medium Range attack can ignore Cover to deal X Damage in that range.
  • Jump
    • Used in: player’s Movement Phase, when declaring a movement.
    • Effect: a mech using Jump can pass through any terrains or other mechs during its Movement Phase (but it still can’t finish its movement in an Obstacle terrain). A mech using Jump has its attacking Damage reduced by 1 (to the minimum of 0).
  • Overheat X
    • Used in: player’s Attack Phase, when dealing Damage.
    • Effect: a mech using Overheat gain a bonus X in attack Damage for the range specified by the letter (L = long range; M = medium range; S = short range). After the attack, the overheating mech will Shutdown.
  • ECM
    • Used in: opponent player Attack Phase, just after receiving Damage.
    • Effect: if a player has at least one mech in game with ECM, he can ignore 1 Damage received by one of his mechs during a turn. This ability is not cumulative if the player has more than one mech with ECM in game.
  • Anti-Missile
    • Used in: opponent player Attack Phase, just after receiving Damage.
    • Effect: a mech with Anti-Missile can ignore once in a turn 1 Damage received from Indirect Fire.
  • Commander (or Beagle, or TAG?)
    • Used in: player’s Attack Phase, when dealing Damage.
    • Effect: if a player has at least one mech in game with the Commander ability, he can choose one of his mechs to deal +1 Damage in a turn. This ability is not cumulative if the player has more than one Commander mech in game.
Update3:

ADVANCED RULES

Terrains

In addition to the Base squares, there can be special squares that affect mechs.
  • High Ground
    • A mech in High Ground can ignore Cover when attacking other mechs. Any mech can ignore cover when attacking a mech in High Ground.
  • Obstacle
    • No mech can pass (except when using Jump), occupy or attack through the Obstacle terrain. Mechs behind an Obstacle receive Cover against opponents.
  • Difficult Terrain
    • When a mech enters a Difficult Terrain, its Movement finishes.
  • Water
    • Mechs in a water terrain don’t Shutdown when using Overheat. Like in Difficult Terrain, when a mech enters this terrain, its Movement finishes.
Factions

At the start of the game, each player chooses a faction. When setting up his lances with only mechs of choice of that faction, a player has a discount of 1 in the total cost.
  • Davion (Federated Suns)
    • Color: gold (#FFD700).
    • Mechs of choice: (…)
    • Special ability (can use once per match): Luck of the Fox (choose one of your mechs that just received enough damage to be destroyed: that mech has Armor -1 damage points)
  • Steiner (Lyran Commonwealth)
    • Color: blue (#0000FF).
    • Special ability (can use once per match): Wealthy (the player starts with 10% more resources to buy mechs, rounded down)
  • Marik (Free Worlds League)
    • Color: purple (#800080).
    • Special ability (can use once per match): Never Ending War (during your Movement Phase choose one of your mechs: remove 2 damage counters of it)
  • Liao (Capellan Confederation)
    • Color: green (#008000).
    • Special ability (can use once per match): Subterfuge (during your Attack Phase choose an enemy mech: that mech receives 1 damage)
  • Kurita (Draconis Combine)
    • Color: red (#FF0000).
    • Special ability (can use once per match): Kamikaze (choose one of your mechs that was just destroyed: deal 2 damage to the attacker)
  • Rasalhague (Free Rasalhague Republic)
    • Color: aquamarine (#7FFFD4).
    • Special ability (can use once per match): Fiercely Independent (choose one opponent mech in one of your Base squares: that mech receives 3 damage)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

PS: This art was based in images of the MWO site. I claim no right for them or for the name MWO, Battletech and stuff.

PPS: if the use of the MWO art for this free game is forbidden, just let me know PGI. I will replace it by something else. I have nointentions to publish this game elsewhere - it will be available here for the members to print and play in their homes.

WHERE'S THE HOLOGRAPHIC CARDS! I WANT A HOLO FOIL CARD!

#11 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Well, I need to go. I have a Vampire - Dark Ages game session to plan for tonight. Cya.

#12 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Awesome job! Printing off now.

#13 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Looks cool.

#14 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• 1,217 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 12 July 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Awesome job! Printing off now.

Dude, you should sell these things in the e-store and give Odana a cut!

Decorate your mech with collectables or something.

#15 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Very nice job. However, I foresee endless debate of what the numbers *should* be.

SSW will give you the Battleforce rating for S, M, and L quite easily.

#16 Engineering

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Your legal problems in this case would most likely not be with PGI but more likely with Catalyst Game Labs as they are the one with the TT rights and possibly WotC as they are the creators of the original Battletech TCG which your cards resemble.

#17 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Me likes.

I'm now following the thread, can't wait for the complete rules and such :)

#18 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostEximar, on 12 July 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Very nice job. However, I foresee endless debate of what the numbers *should* be.

SSW will give you the Battleforce rating for S, M, and L quite easily.

Indeed. I posted the rules of card construction in the Update4. Check it out.

PS: I'm seriously thinking in make Indirect Fire always -1 of total LRM damage...

View PostEngineering, on 12 July 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Your legal problems in this case would most likely not be with PGI but more likely with Catalyst Game Labs as they are the one with the TT rights and possibly WotC as they are the creators of the original Battletech TCG which your cards resemble.

I hope not. I'm using only PGI art and I'm not mentioning the registered words "Battletech", "Battlemech", etc. About the cards, BT CCG resembles a lot Spellfire and Magic, in its own way...

#19 Engineering

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Well in this case the problem isn't so much the images as much as the medium. BT rights are split up among several companies. Specifically PGI has the electronic rights. Catalyst has the TT rights and although I'm not certain I'm guessing that WotC has the TCG rights.
So since your medium could be seen as infringing on either Catalyst's or WotC's rights that would be the problem. The images would also be an issue but PGI does not seem to have a problem with it so that's good. Although I'd have a chat with their legal department first before comercializing.

#20 Donovan Jenks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Great work, you can tell that you have poured alot of work into game development over the years. I am going to see if I can get my wife to try the game out with me.

Will be sure to follow this thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users