Elemental Modules

11 replies to this topic

Poll: Elemental Modules (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Elementals be allowed in MWO as Consumable Module?

1. Yes (18 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Should Elemental modules be limited to Clan only or should the Inner Sphere use them too?

1. Clan Only (13 votes [48.15%])

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

2. Clan and Inner Sphere (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Clan and Inner Sphere at higher cost (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. Clan and Inner Sphere but only in units of 4 and with only primary weapons (Lore based) (9 votes [33.33%])

Should mounting Elemental modules be limited certain 'Mechs similar to ECM?

1. Yes (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

2. Yes, but limited to only OmniMechs (9 votes [33.33%])

3. No (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

4. Only on Inner Sphere BattleMechs (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Only on Clan and Inner Sphere BattleMechs (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

Below is a little write up of an idea I've had for Elemental Modules to be used by the Clans. They would be a consumable and I was thinking they would cost 500,000 C-Bills each use, but that might be a little steep. Until PGI improved the games AI I figured they would work like turrets or like the 'Mechs in the Training Academy when firing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elementals are the battle armored infantry of the Clans. While infantry has been used alongside BattleMechs since the war machine was introduced to the battlefield in 2439 and platoons trained to take these metal titans out followed soon after; it was the Clans that revolutionized Anti-Mech infantry. Most Inner Sphere infantry, conventional and Anti-Mech alike, have armor that will sufficiently protect against small arms fire, like pistols and rifles. The Clans, however, introduced a type of infantry that not only could bring a ‘Mech down, but could still do so after taking a hit from a Large Laser.

Riding into combat mounted on the torsos of OmniMechs, a “Point” Elementals – five if the unit is at full strength – will dismount at the command of the MechWarrior. Once on the ground they will generally hold position and fire at any target they have in their line of sight (LOS). Due to the jump packs mounted on their armor they have a 90 meter range and are able to see over heights of 90 meters. Veteran units have been known to give chase to targets and venture away from the standard Small Laser and C-SRM 2 weaponry, mounting Machine Guns or Flamers.

Ideally a MechWarrior would like to drop these troopers as close to the enemy’s movement. Any enemy that walks within 10 meters of an Elemental Point risks having these troops swarm their ‘Mech. However, allowing Elements riding on one’s OmniMechs does cause some hindrances. While Elementals are mounted on an OmniMech said ‘Mech cannot fire torso mounted weapons, so sometimes dropping them earlier than what is optimal might be an option.

Swarm Attack: Any time an enemy ‘Mech approaches within 10 meters the Elementals will attach and immediately start doing damage with their primary weapon.

Beta: 30.0 seconds of damage

NARC-like sensor abilities.*

Release: Add “Physical Attack” key; hold down a key for length of time similar to CW Eject time and the Elementals are removed.

Update: Allies are able to lock on to Elementals and attempt to shoot them off, risking doing damage to a friendly ‘Mech.

* Assess the NARC-like ability with each release and adjust as needed

Weapon Loadout (Basic & Veteran-Small Laser):
Primary: Small Laser

Damage: 3.00

Cooldown: 2.25

Range: 135

Max Range: 270

Duration: 0.75

Speed: N/A

DPS: 1.00

DPH: 1.50

HPS: 0.67

Ammo: N/A

Secondary: C-SRM

Damage: 4.00

Cooldown: 2.00

Range: 270

Duration: N/A

Speed: 300

DPS: 2.00

DPH: 2.00

HPS: 1.00

Ammo: 4

Weapon Loadout (Veteran-Machine Gun):
Primary: Machine Gun

Damage: 0.08+

Cooldown: N/A

Range: 120

Max Range: 240

Speed: 100

DPS: 0.80

DPH: -

HPS: -

Ammo: 250

Weapon Loadout (Veteran-Flamer):
Primary: Flamer

Damage: 0.70+

Cooldown: N/A

Range: 90

Max Range: 90

Speed: 1050

DPS: 0.70

DPH: 0.70

Ammo: N/A

Module Stats (Basic):
Range: 90m
Duration: Until Destroyed
Elevation Change: 90m
Armor: 22 Each**

Module Stats (Veteran):
Range: 90m
Duration: Until Destroyed
Elevation Change: 90m
Armor: 22 Each**

*The Elementals (Veteran) will chase after the first target the can get lock on. If they lose LOS they will hold position until they can get lock on another target.
** Each module will have 5 Elementals each one can withstand 11 points of damage.

Balance Methods:
- Introduce Thunder LRM ammunition for the Inner Sphere (reintroduced in Lyran Alliance and Federated Suns in 3052). This munition causes no damage when fired at a ‘Mech but will lay a mine field at the point of impact. Once a ‘Mech enters within 30 meters of the point of impact the mines go off. They will cause damage as if an artillery strike from below and does damage equal to LRM size.

- Allow Inner Sphere BattleMechs use this ability but at a higher “reload” cost, representing that the Inner Sphere BattleMechs need to be repaired after each mission because the BattleMechs are not designed for the strain of loading and unloading Elementals, only OmniMechs have that ability. This is not how it works in Lore, mind you. In Lore BattleMechs – Clan and Inner Sphere – simply cannot mount Elementals, but MWO regularly fudges Lore a little for game balance purposes.

- Reduce the armor for each Elemental from 22 to 11.

Edited by R79TCom1 Night Lanner, 28 December 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#2 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

What an interesting idea, I have never even thought of it. They should put this into the public test and let us try it out, it sounds like fun (though irritating to the enemy Posted Image )

Edited by Stingray1234, 28 December 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#3 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

It can be irritating to pilots carrying them too. If your torse weapons are disabled until the module is used, you could be in for a nasty surprise at key moments. I think that feature will do a lot for balance issues and over saturation of Elementals on the battlefield (MechWarriors have to decide whether redesign their 'Mechs or have their big guns out of commission), and make role warfare more of a thing (Lights and fast Mediums will run to key choke point and deploy Elementals similar to deploying UAVs now).

#4 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

I wonder if it would give PGI a reason to add the Firemoth? (since couriering Elementals was it's main design purpose).

The loss of torso weapons until they are deployed would definitely help balance them, though mechwarriors will probably deploy them at the first sign of trouble just so they can use those weapons.

What if elementals were like ECM...as in, only certain mechs would even be capable of being a courier for them (like the firemoth.) Maybe give this ability to some of the under-dog mechs, so they would have more purpose....I don't know, now i'm just brainstorming...

#5 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

From what I hear, the Firemoth hasn't been added because something like that would rubberband like crazy.

I think that's what makes it great. The module can be really powerful if a MechWarrior can get it into position, but in order to do so one would have to risk taking damage and not being able to fire back.

Personally I don't like the idea of Elementals being limited. Elementals are supposed to be able to jump on and off any OmniMech. Maybe for IS, but I think if you're going to allow battle armor for both sides then they should be able to mount on all 'Mechs.

#6 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:08 AM

That makes sense, wouldn't want to give the community another reason to complain that clanners or OP. Too bad about the firemoth, I hope they can find a way to fix it, it was one of my favorite mechs back in the MW2 days.

#7 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:52 AM

This idea has been floated around before.
There is the idea of introducing them as:
A Pilotable option.
A Consumable
Some sort of AI deployable unit.
etc.

Personally, I would like to drop into battles as an Elemental. There has been a big discussion here:
http://mwomercs.com/...lan-elementals/
More recently I have been thinking that there could be a balance problem with introducing them as a consumable due to the amount of firepower it could introduce against a single target.

#8 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:00 AM

If Battle Armor is addressed, It'd be best for the clans to get access to it only, at this time. The clans scared the pants off the inner sphere with their Elemental suits.

...but I would far prefer if there was a bit more lore to it, and limited Battle Armor to being mounted on Omnimechs, possibly creating a new consumable slot for that purpose.

As for the inner sphere, Yes, they don't take too long to develop their Inner Sphere standard, but since there's a difference between simply riding a mech as with Omnimech mounting, versus digging your claws into a mech and blasting away as with swarming, the inner sphere will have a long time yet before they would get access to the ability to transport Battle Armor on the outside of their mechs - limiting them to use with dedicated troop transports or moving under their own power.

As a trade-off, I'd suggest that the Inner Sphere get access to Arrow IV artillery, since it's something that the clans generally shun using. Otherwise, the ability to place minefields before a match begins.

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

should be clan only and omnimechs only, since omnimechs need another advantage, given the horrendous downside of locked equipment.

innersphere has no battle armor that can ride on the outside of a mech in 3052

elementals should come in 5 packs as a consumable and should swarm the nearest enemy mech with small lasers and one-shot SRMs.

Elementals had 14 armor and 1 structure in tabletop but armor/structure was doubled in MWO. So they should take 30 damage each to kill and Machine Guns/Flamers should do bonus damage to them.

Edited by Khobai, 03 February 2016 - 02:17 PM.

#10 Alardus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostR79TCom1 Night Lanner, on 28 December 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

From what I hear, the Firemoth hasn't been added because something like that would rubberband like crazy.

I think that's what makes it great. The module can be really powerful if a MechWarrior can get it into position, but in order to do so one would have to risk taking damage and not being able to fire back.

Personally I don't like the idea of Elementals being limited. Elementals are supposed to be able to jump on and off any OmniMech. Maybe for IS, but I think if you're going to allow battle armor for both sides then they should be able to mount on all 'Mechs.

Even if it didn't rubberband, imagine trying to do any damage to it at all. Assume the hit reg was perfect, no lag scenario. Imagine trying to hit it at all with lasers or ACs.

Anyway, I voted not to all and chose clan only where I couldn't vote no.

View PostR79TCom1 Night Lanner, on 28 December 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

It can be irritating to pilots carrying them too. If your torse weapons are disabled until the module is used, you could be in for a nasty surprise at key moments. I think that feature will do a lot for balance issues and over saturation of Elementals on the battlefield (MechWarriors have to decide whether redesign their 'Mechs or have their big guns out of commission), and make role warfare more of a thing (Lights and fast Mediums will run to key choke point and deploy Elementals similar to deploying UAVs now).

The only benefit of this would be in the forcing of MGs and flamers and small lasers, which would drastically reduce spamboating. Thats a good thing.

Edited by Alardus, 04 February 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#11 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

What is it with the consumable craze?

Things that have weight and take up space should have weight and take up space. Is MW:O not arcade enough already for some people?

#12 Admiral Brad

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:56 AM

Elementals should replace air strikes and artillery strikes for Clanners. Clanners will usually bid away their artillery and air assets when vying for the right to combat so it makes no sense that Clanners would generally have access to those consumables. Elementals would be the perfect replacement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users