Does The Mist Lynx Have A Role Any Longer?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

Dead serious. Does this mech, after all the changes that have been made, have any real position on the battlefield? It's pretty fragile, and not exactly fast. The main thing that characterizes it is its hardwired CAP, and that it's relatively small. Not a great thing to differentiate itself on the battlefield.

What I propose for it, to make it a worthwhile combatant is to increase its cooldown rate for weaponry substantially.

Anyone have any good builds for it, though?

Edited by Vaskadar, 02 January 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#2 Deadead

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

i dont honestly think it's any good compared to other clan light options for cw or meta play.

now for FUN i don't think it can be beat. awesome little beasty.

i do 4 ml, 3 sl 2 srm6, and 4 spl. of the 3, 4 spl is by far my best and most fun variant of the mech. i fair pretty well in it too, considering it's drawbacks.

one of my favorites by far.

#3 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

Giving larger mechs ECM cover, but walking it their shadows. A few MPL's of damage to add. That is about how I run the Urban mechs and they can do more damage. I think of them as a flank harasser in a group of two mechs, like the Raven 4X.

#4 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

I don't have much faith the Mist Lynx or several other Mechs will get any changes to make them of much worth.

#5 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

MLX has two roles:

Low weight mech spot filler for CW

Havoc bringer in PUG games.

It still jumps like a king and if armed with 4spl packs a decent high precisson punch who can attack from unpreditable positions, what is more,once the brawl starts its main drawback is of far less significance and 120kph with 6JJs on 25 tons is fast enough.

Now what I think would be a real breakthrough for MLX isn't better quirks (they are pretty good btw) but a head with MASC instead of the CAP..... makes m mouth water, extra acceleration and an small speed boost.... yummy.

#6 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

I own all lights except Artic Cheetah (buying once I'm home from work), Mist Lynx and Wolfhounds (Just haven't saved enough c-bills yet). Not in any hurry to get the Lynx.

#7 noobicus

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Someone posted a video of a Myst Lynx after spending some time eliting it and it was pretty interesting: https://youtu.be/uYtkqd_ptLQ

Here is the discussion thread that went along with it: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4939121

#8 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

I already have 9 mastered IS mechs, so when I saw the Lynx on sale, I decided to jump in and try one of "those jumpy mechs".
After going through all the suffering and complaining that many people do with this mech, the "Lynx Revelation" hit me like a bolt of lightning.

The Mist Lynx has the best jump capabilities in the entire game ...And just look at the name!
The Lynx is a small feral feline hunter, known for its agility.
Mist makes me think of fog, darkness, etc.

So putting that together, you've got a mech that specializes in performing sneak attacks from a height and moving around to avoid detection. "Ohh... It's that mech!"
Once I started playing the Lynx to its strengths, I started to have a lot of fun and a surprising run of success.

The Lynx's roles:
Scout (you have JJs and CAP)
Pester the enemy (you have JJs and guns)
Support your team in battles (you have JJs, guns, and an R button)

Here are my builds. Take note that applying full armour and just dropping the head to 5 and the legs to 18 gives you seven workable tons.
I see so many people saying 6.5 tons. Really? You need all that head armour in a mech that is based on stealth and mobility? The answer is "no". I have never been headshotted in a Mist Lynx.

Also, all of these builds have the MLX-D omnipods on the torsi and legs, for extra armour. However, this is just icing on the cake and these builds worked fine even before I 'upgraded' the torsi and legs.

MLX-B
3x CSRM2, 1x CMPL
With the SRMs chain fired, this beast wreaks havoc on the enemy, sending them into a panic via constant screen shake and smokeye. This makes them extremely vulnerable for your bigger teammates to mow down. The MPL adds more damage to the mix, and serves as a great mid-range poker while you're still getting close.

MLX-C
2x CMPL, TComp II, ECM
Great stealthy mid-range peeker. Get in position and eat components like popcorn. At 16 dmg per shot, Rear Torsi are also on the menu. It seems so humble, but this build is surprisingly effective.

MLX-D
1x CLPL, ECM
It's only 4 DPS (before perks 'n' quirks), but it's 4 DPS at 600m range from an invisible ghostly sniper. Since it's Pulse, it's very difficult for the enemy to even figure out exactly where you are. At 13 dmg per shot, peeking out and getting just two shots on a component is usually enough to finish it off. This builds lacks any real 'punch' to it, so it's best as a support/pester build... Oh and you better believe it, blowing an arm off a LRM boat is pestering at its finest.

MLX-D
3x CERML, TComp III, 1x DHS
I changed my MLX-D to this build just today. It works great as a mid/long-range 'puncher', if you can aim. This build deals optimal damage of 21 up to around 420m, and still 16-ish dmg at 500m. Watch your heat; Use the cooloff time to change position to keep the enemy guessing.
This is somewhat of a variation of the popular 3x CMPL + 1 DHS build. I liked the MPL build because of the extra punch and shorter pulse duration, but it lacked range and without ECM as an escape, I felt myself being chased and drawn into brawls which is no place for the Mist Lynx. Also, it lacks the heat control to fight close up with 3 MPLs. Close Range Overheat = Game Over.

If you try to play the Mist Lynx like any other mech, you'll fail hard. This is why so many people hate the Lynx - They just don't get how it 'works'.
Sure, it is out-gunned, out-run, and out-tonned by the Arctic Cheetah. But it jumps much higher and more frequently than the AC, plus the hitbox is much smaller. The AC is huge for a light mech.

The Mist Lynx: Altitude, stealth, mobility, carefully-applied damage... Make the enemy's life a living hell.
Good luck and happy hunting!

Edited by Generic Internetter, 17 January 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#9 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

Congratulation on your unimprovable good taste when it comes to battlemechs. That said if you intend to use it as an stealthy assassin I strongly encourage you to use scalpels not shotguns. SRMs are good weapons when used in large ammounts but given the pod and slot limitation on MLX the very best build for a short range fencer includes 4x cSPL. You have some extra weight, I personally use it for a Targeting Computer 1 and an extra heat sink.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

View PostGeneric Internetter, on 17 January 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

The Mist Lynx has the best jump capabilities in the entire game

no it does not, I wish to introduce you to my Spider 5V, able to jump 50% higher and is 50% faster than the Mist Lynx, although it is even less heavily armed
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ef5577650d625c8

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 17 January 2016 - 12:59 PM.

#11 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

BUT Spider 5V has exactly zero weapons in the arms so it can't really take advantage of it jumping ability.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

depends on what you mean by "take advantage of its jumping ability" I mostly use the jets to get out of bad situations or to reach places which no other Mech in the match can, I agree it is not great for "poptarting" if that is what you meant, and it mostly gets used when I just want to have fun with littie regard for damage or kills, or am after exploring a new map, it will be getting a lot of use next week exploring Polar Highlands.

#13 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

What I mean is that if you jump often you can't hit what is in the ground level because SDR-5V's torso can't pitch down enough, on the other hand a MLX can jump in front of direwolves and the such and when done correctly they simply can't respond in time to connect with the MLX, it's way too high for their slow arms.

#14 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

Relevant

Lynx pilots must think vertically. Channel your inner troll for best effect, considering how to exploit the terrain to fullest frustrating effect for your enemy.

As a friend of mine--who views it as a bad mech--acknowledged that the JJs actually do have some merit for fun. His words were, "It has no business being that much fun." Use the force, Luke Posted Image

Yes, I understand that speed is king. To use the Lynx to it's fullest, thing vertically, and troll the other team mercilessly by using it to their disadvantage.

As stated upthread, it makes for CW/FP filler in a deck with with 25-ton gap (or two), or for QP lulz.

Also:
* 1cERLL+1cERML+ECM is the equivalent of the old SDR-5D ERLL+2ML sniper, with better range. (better before cERML max range nerf, but still)
* 3cERML+2SSRM2 is basically a Sarah's Jenner with hops instead of speed. You've got a hardwired CAP, why not use it for something?
* 4cSPL is a LCT-1E with hops instead of raw speed.
* 4cERML is hot, but has the potential to put up some big games. As much as the thing felt like a bad idea, as long as I made sure not to stick around too long, and ran off to cool off, I could rack up some big numbers by the end of the match. This may be a worse idea since the cERML range nerf.
* The MPL+3cSRM2 build is one I hadn't tried yet, because I got Lynxes with Wave II, and haven't mechsperimented with them as much since. With new pods out, and a sale on, this may need to change. Posted Image

Edited by Virlutris, 17 January 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#15 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostBrizna, on 17 January 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

SRMs are good weapons when used in large ammounts but given the pod and slot limitation on MLX the very best build for a short range fencer includes 4x cSPL.

View PostVirlutris, on 17 January 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

The MPL+3cSRM2 build is one I hadn't tried yet [...] With new pods out, and a sale on, this may need to change. Posted Image

I prefer to go pulse whenever possible, and I assure you, my first port of call was 4x CSPL. Thing is, getting close was too much of a gamble because all it took was one well-aimed alpha to wipe me out, and apart from a few red flashes and a wub noise, there was nothing preventing the enemy from making that shot.

With the SRM2s chain fired, it's a constant barrage of screens shakes and smoke in the enemy's face. It works wonders if you keep the pressure on.

4x CSPL = 10.67 DPS
3x CSRM2 + 1x CMPL = 8.67 DPS (only 2 DPS less), plus constant screen shake and smoke.

By playing both to a fair extent, I can say with solid resolve that the 3x CSRM2 + 1x MPL gives me much better results.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 17 January 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

I wish to introduce you to my Spider 5V, able to jump 50% higher and is 50% faster than the Mist Lynx

Ah, yes I missed the Spider 5V. Still, I always buy mechs in 3's to get the elite & master efficiencies. If I had gone with the Spider, I would have had 1 awesome jumper + 2 not-as-good-jumpers-as-the-Lynx. But still, good call - It's good to know that there is one super-jumper out there to contend with.

#16 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

View PostGeneric Internetter, on 17 January 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

I prefer to go pulse whenever possible, and I assure you, my first port of call was 4x CSPL. Thing is, getting close was too much of a gamble because all it took was one well-aimed alpha to wipe me out, and apart from a few red flashes and a wub noise, there was nothing preventing the enemy from making that shot.

With the SRM2s chain fired, it's a constant barrage of screens shakes and smoke in the enemy's face. It works wonders if you keep the pressure on.

4x CSPL = 10.67 DPS
3x CSRM2 + 1x CMPL = 8.67 DPS (only 2 DPS less), plus constant screen shake and smoke.

By playing both to a fair extent, I can say with solid resolve that the 3x CSRM2 + 1x MPL gives me much better results.

Ah, yes I missed the Spider 5V. Still, I always buy mechs in 3's to get the elite & master efficiencies. If I had gone with the Spider, I would have had 1 awesome jumper + 2 not-as-good-jumpers-as-the-Lynx. But still, good call - It's good to know that there is one super-jumper out there to contend with.

If we're talking jumpers, the Cicada 3F is alarmingly good as a jumper if you're willing to gomlight on weapons or engineer to pack all the JJs. Because of the way the Class IV JJs scale to the 40-tonner, it gets maximum benefit from the more powerful thust of those medium-class tailored jets.

Just sayin' ;)

#17 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

I think it's just fine.

I've been mostly running it with ECM+2 ER-L, no armor. ECM+1ER-L+armor works pretty well too.

I have currently this mastered with advanced zoom and a. sensor and ER-L modules.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...88ef0b50dfb9252

I've tried with one ER-PPC but it didn't seem so good, and I think I ran one variant with some LBX, maybe LBX10, because I didn't want to buy second ECM omnipod plus ECM, I was running two Mist Lynx same time. It wasn't good either. And one with 4xER-M lasers, again not effective for me at least, you need ECM and range to keep that thing alive.

The mobility allows keeping that range well.

Stats from my most played mechs. I started with Locust, it was useless, then I got Nova thinking it would be good spotted due to jump jets, I could not do much with it either, and stayed in tier 5 for about 200 matches.

After getting the Mad Dogs from sales, I instantly jumped into tier 4, and with the C-Bills got Shadow Cat and those three Mist Lynxes. Right now I'm progressing steadily into tier 3. The Mad dog with more average damage per fight but less wins, is LRM boat.

Posted Image

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

I like the PPC poptarter, Its a lot of fun for a badda mech build
less face time
though ppc dont always hit reg guid

I have found shooting mech from above at close range works well against mechs without arm mounted weapons.

I good place for this is on top of the citadel in river city.
When mechs take the alley way on top of the citadel
you shoot down, mechs without arm weapons can't shoot back

Love it

#19 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

Don't get to hung up on the overall stats. Fact of the matter: You cannot normally carry in a MLX/LCT or similar, as you would be able to in a more competitive chassis. What you need to focus on is the good matches, when you're not let down by your team. When the team is a team really that is.

#20 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

dammit major lag!

Posted Image

i was following your topic but i never thought i would run into the myth in all its poptartiness.

epic match though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users