Will We Ever Be Able To Have Less Than 10 Heatsinks?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Sackrace

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:19 AM

I'm sick of needing a crap ton of heat sinks on mechs like HBK 4G which is just a AC20 on wheels. There's no real reason we have to have 10 so please relax this stricture.

#2 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:47 PM

I don't know the MWO mechanics, but since they're based on Battletech mechanics, I'll let you in on how those work.

The first 10 heat sinks have no weight. They're included as core to the mech. At the same time, you can't take them off of the mech because they are the bare minimum and come standard with the engine. The only way to have no heatsinks is to have no engine, or use internal combustion engines, which frankly don't hold a candle to fusion power. At which point you are driving an industrial mech.

If your engine is too small, you can't have those heatsinks be integral to the engine. As such, they might chew up a few slots. At Hunchback size, you should only have one or two extra criticals. If you're really running out of room, I'd suggest sticking to single heat sinks and/or not bothering with Ferro Fibrous armor (It's all but useless anyway)

#3 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

Short answer: No

Long answer: Pretty much what Ice said. Additionally, you should still be able to run a reasonable engine in that hunchie, even with the required HS.

Hunchie 4G with Endosteel, 1 AC/20, 3 tons ammo. 2 ML (one in each arm), STD 250 engine, missing about 1/2 ton of armor (mostly from legs, couple points from each arm) will have plenty of space left over, has all the HS needed and will pack a punch. You could even go with FerroFibrous armor and gain about 2 points of armor and another ton of AC/20 ammo

#4 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

10 will remain the minimum, man; doing otherwise breaks Battletech.

#5 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

My commandos are with you OP! Locusts and Urbies too. When you can't even take a 250 engine the extra space needed for DHS is a pain. MY COM-2D (2xSRM 4, ML, XL200) runs at 1.6 efficiency, has 0.5 tons empty and no critical slots. Actually I dropped FF and 2 points of armor just so that I wasn't leaving tonnage on the table.

I don't expect it to change because it's BT rules, but I don't actually think it would be a problem. I can't imagine a scenario where a mech with 8 heatsinks will be OP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users