Are Champion Mechs Worth It?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Grimnir79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:55 AM

Hi, I'm just wondering if it is worth spending MC on Champion/Hero mechs?

The reason I'm asking is that I used some of my Founders-MC to buy a champion Highlander and a champion Quickdraw this weekend, and I'm wondering if that was a bad move?

So for my next buy: is it better just buying the regular builds instead of champion/heroes?

Thanks.

#2 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

If you have spare MC why not, they come fully kitted out but they are very expensive in real world $. That said if you have sat on your founders MC for the last three and a half years, why not?

#3 Grimnir79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

Yeah that was my thought as well. My Founders MC has just been sitting "in the bank" so was about time I spent it on something.

I did some reading on the forums and on Google, and many ppl say that using MC on Champion was a waste, so just wantet to know if it's better spending MC on Premium time, camo-patterns, etc. Anyways, not a big deal; was just curious. Thanks for the reply Caladbolg.

#4 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

Champion mechs are a waste imho. They are just regular mechs with added XP earnings (No extra Cbills, no different hardpoints). Just get the regular mechs without the (c) here. Hero Mechs are deffinitely worth it if you want a specific loadout which is not available to other variants. Here however, think what you really want before getting the Hero, as not every Hero mech is good and deffinitely not eevry hero fits to everyones playstyle.

Ill list the other non-mech related MC purchases in my personal order

• Colours are permanent account wide unlocks.
  • Mechbays them and dont want to go to CW (or already have r6 in every faction)
  • Premium time is nice as well
  • Colours are account wide permanent unlocksWarhorns - Who doesnt like the war of the worlds blaaarp on a kill? Ok. quite a few probably dont... but I dont care :D
  • One time cammo patterns for when you really want one and you are sure you will never change it
  • permanent camo unlocks if you are sure you want to change them multiple times over one chassis range.
  • Consumables... why? I mean you can get the same things with spending a GXP points to unlock the regular versions.
  • XP-Conversion. Same as 7. You can earn this ingame.
Only purchase things if they are on sale though is what I would suggest. If there isnt anything you want... then just carry on sitting on the funds until something does come along which you do want.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:51 AM

Champion Mechs have an XP boost, but the main attraction is that they come upgraded, with at least an OK loadout, so you will not need to get Double Heat Sinks, and they usualy come with the optimal engine for that chassis, in the case of a Light get the Champion and you are ready to go instead of spending twice the purchase price on upgrades including an XL engine, Endo, Fero and DHS. you can build a Mech which is identical except for the XP boost for cbills and the Champion counts as the same Mech without the (C) foe the purposes of XP and the 3 variants to unlock the elite/master skills, so e.g. the SDR-5K and SDR-5K(C) both count as the same varient.

As for the Hero, that has a set of hardpoints or hardpoint locations which you cannot get on that Mech for cbills, as well as unique cammo and the 30% cbill boost.

If you want to spend your Founders MC the best investments are probably Mechbays and the Mastery bundles which include the Hero, the Champion and usualy the best of the other cbill variants, as well as a months premium time and some cockpit items, for about half what it would usualy cost.

look at what the bundle contains and check out the individual Mechs on smurfy to see if you like the look of them, Try the trial Mech from the bundle (assuming it is available) to see if you like the chassis first.

#6 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:55 AM

Some of the mastery bundles are worth the MC cost, individual mechs are not. The reason is that everything in a mastery bundle is 50% off and it includes mechbays and a month of premium time. The premium time alone is 12 dollars. Good mastery bundles are atlas, Stalker, Raven, Thunderbolt, jagermech, blackjack, hunchback the rest are so so because their heros aren't as unique and powerful or they leave out the better varients. It's my opinion but most vets would back me on that statement.

Otherwise MC is best spent when there is a sale in this order.
1) mechbays
2) mechbays
3) camo and paint if you desire them, (plenty of people don't paint their mechs though)

#7 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

If you are a beginning player (C)'s can be worth it if they are on sale.

Mainly look for mechs with a commonly used XL engine that you can swap from mech to mech. It can save you weeks of grinding. Firestarter (XL295), Jenner (XL300), Cicada (XL340), and Enforcer (XL255) are the ones to buy.

They are also worth getting if you want to convert MC to C-Bills. You get more C-Bills by buying a (C) mech on sale and selling it's parts than you do buying the c-bill packs. But again, I'd only do this if you were a new player. Any of the mechs above will give lots of c-bills when sold compared to the MC you spend.

Edited by Danth Reduviid, 01 February 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

No.

#9 Grimnir79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, it was very helpful. I will probably be a bit less impulsive the next time I'm gonna spend my MC. Posted Image

Edited by Grimnir79, 02 February 2016 - 03:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users