Laser Range Quirks

7 replies to this topic

#1 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

So we have official word that they are putting a cap on the energy range quirks of 10% to stop Is ERLL from out ranging well pretty much everything I've got a thunderbolt which has an optimum range over 900m with those so its completely understandable.

But does that mean small lasers and medium lasers are also only ever going to get a max of 10% cause that's not very much on those little things. Or are we going to see specific weapon quirks coming back for the smaller laser weapons?

Personally I wouldn't mind that as long as it doesn't get out of hand like before with IS medium lasers stretching up to 400m and overpowering the Clan counterparts. I also understand that with the IS being overall more durable they no longer need the insane ranges on their lasers to compete with clans.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:48 PM

There are rumors that PGI might add some small/medium specific quirks to make up for it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I've already given proposals for alternative ways to "rein in" the quirked IS ERLL without pooping as much on other weapons.

Idea 1: Additive range quirks instead of multiplicative. In a nutshell, using percentage buffs gives the largest boost to weapons that already have the highest stat values, such as that ER Large Laser. Meanwhile, guns with smaller stats gain not much at all from percentages. Additive values, however, give the most benefit to the little guys and the proportionally least benefit to the "rich" guys. An additive buff might look like "+100 meters energy range" or something instead of "+20% energy range" or whatever.

Idea 2: For mechs with energy range above 10%, add a negative quirk for the ERLL specifically. For example, a mech with +30% energy range might get -20% ERLL range, which gives us an end result of +10% ERLL range.

Edited by FupDup, 06 February 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#3 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

Revolutionary new idea, nerf ERLL range. But yeah, some of the quirks are way OTT.

Edited by Wattila, 06 February 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostWattila, on 06 February 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Revolutionary new idea, nerf ERLL range.

The weapon unquirked by itself isn't overpowered though, it's only crazy when it gets big quirks applied to it.

#5 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

True that, it's a shame basically every other laser takes an indirect nerf as a result, though.

#6 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

I like the sound of the additive range bonus +50m on all energy weapons is a huge help to medium and small lasers but doesn't change very much on the larger variants. Plus wouldn't be an issue when IS get their hands on ER mediums and smalls.

Edited by SirNotlag, 07 February 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#7 Lozruet Gravemind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

View PostSirNotlag, on 07 February 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

I like the sound of the additive range bonus +50m on all energy weapons is a huge help to medium and small lasers but doesn't change very much on the larger variants. Plus wouldn't be an issue when IS get their hands on ER mediums and smalls.

Exactly. The current method of range buffing actually benefits Long range weapons more than Short range. Lets just take a look at somthing like a Large Laser and a Medium. A medium has a 540 max while a large has a 900 Max. If they both get a 10% increase then the medium is only getting 54 more max meters, and only 27 more optimal, while the large is getting an additional 90 meters, and 45 more optimal. The large is getting almost as much Optimal range increase as the Medium is getting to its MAX.

This gets even nuttier with longer weapons, Gauss and ERLL, as well as Quirks and Modules. On the Jester an ERLL ends up with a 25% increase to its range. Turn it from a 1350, with a 675 optimal, which is semi balanced into a ridiculous roughly 1688 meter Max with a 844 meter optimal. At that point if you square off against a mech with standard Larges and no Range quirk your dealling Optimal at only 60 meters inside their MAX. And the Jester isnt the worst offender when it comes to range Quirks.

Id say Tier the Laser Range Quirks. Get rid over overall Laser Range and only use Range increase for specific groups. Also the smaller the weapon the LARGER the percentage. Say like you only give Large Lasers a 5% bonus while Smalls get a 15%. This allows for more range band overlap without giving anything ungodly distances.

#8 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostSirNotlag, on 06 February 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

So we have official word that they are putting a cap on the energy range quirks of 10% to stop Is ERLL from out ranging well pretty much everything I've got a thunderbolt which has an optimum range over 900m with those so its completely understandable.

But does that mean small lasers and medium lasers are also only ever going to get a max of 10% cause that's not very much on those little things. Or are we going to see specific weapon quirks coming back for the smaller laser weapons?

Personally I wouldn't mind that as long as it doesn't get out of hand like before with IS medium lasers stretching up to 400m and overpowering the Clan counterparts. I also understand that with the IS being overall more durable they no longer need the insane ranges on their lasers to compete with clans.

I use the range 5 for ERML clan, and get with TC 460m :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users