Black Jack Builds

14 replies to this topic

#1 Learchus

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

Got tired of my shadowhawks sold them, picked up 3 blackjacks, oh my its like night and Day!

Been running the 1x like this:

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=79&l=349afd6ea16da95782e3ac4798cbb758f5366122">BJ-1X</a>

6 medium lasers and 2 pulses and the speed of the xl 275 (soon to go up) makes this a sick light hunter and skirmisher. The alpha is pretty nasty on this too. My current go to for until all basic skills are bought

I have the BJ-3. I am undecided on which way to go with it.
<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=80&l=1acc332679974b40d8c7db0b71bc6a76b1038628">BJ-3</a>
Takes advantage of the PPC quriks, and makes a decent poker, with medium pulses for shorter engagements.

I've also thought to put on Large lasers or Large Pulse lasers

Something like this
<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=80&l=b8a350e7b7df26f3b642552826692d26a1edbe2e">BJ-3</a>

And Lastly havent even started on the BJ-1 yet, maybe ac/2s and mediums? Let me know what you guys think

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:03 AM

Used to run my 1X same as you. Decided to try an come up with a std build for variety's sake. To that end I am currently running my 1X as a small pulse boat (8 spl) with a std 280. Its quite fun. Tried it with 6ML and 2 SPL (avoid GH) but the rapid fire of the SPLs just worked better for me. I've seen others doing a similar thing with 6 MPL, etc.

I have 2 BJ-1. The 2 AC2 and 4ml build is fun atm but only because Hoth is such a common map. Watching assaults run for cover when stinging them from extreme range never gets old. The better build for me on most maps however is the Ac/20 and 3ML with 2 or three jj.

The Arrow I run with the 2lpl, and 6 mg. Not a great build but on those rare matches where you can get in behind the bad guys, it is a beast, especially if you survive to the later stage of a match. Mastered it as a sniper though. Kept the MGs for close combat but used 2-3 ERLL for long range poking and alternated between the max engine and JJ (2ERLL version) and the xl210 with only 2jj (3ERLL) version. If you go with the 3 ERLL version you must watch your heat religiously and be dedicated to shoot and SCOOT.

The 3 I run as a 2ERPPC build with an XL 225, max DHS, max JJ. Fun. It would be more fun if I could manage to hit anything with those PPCs however.

Don't have the 1DC. Didn't seem to be a point to it.

#3 Learchus

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

Yeah didnt have the MC for Arrow, so grabbed the ones I have now. Ill have the try the AC/2 3 ml set up. Didnt see the purpose to pick up the 1dc.

I like the ppc, didnt think the velocity quirk worked on the ERPPCs on the BJ-3?

#4 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

I run my BJ-3 with 2x PPC and 4x MLas and 235XL. 4x MLas is always better than 2x MPLas and I wouldn't touch the Heat Sinks to get 4x MPLas. Yes the two are on the high hardpoints...but peeking <250m to justify the pulse lasers? Nahhhhhh, rarely. 3 Weapon groups and it runs very smooth.
If you want Large Lasers or LPLas, go for BJ-1X. BJ-3 is for PPCs and it does it very well.

No ER-PPCs for me. You want your 4 mediums to shoot in close range, ER-PPC only gets you overheated quickly, heat is insane for 10dmg and not worth it. Range quirk pushes normal PPC to 700m optimal which is enough for most shots.

Arrow? XL235 + 3xLLas, no-brainer.

Can't say much on the BJ-1 and -DC because I don't own them.

Edited by Exard3k, 09 February 2016 - 07:43 AM.

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

Grind them fast, OP - word is they're getting hit with the nerf stick on the next patch. Fun mech, even when they're not over-quirked, though.

Arrow's got a meta build, but I run mine with the 6 MGs intact:

ARROW

Hang back, alternate the center LL with the two torso ones. Late in the game, wade on in with the MGs. Really fun hero.

BJ-1

You pretty much have to take advantage of the AC2 quirks on this mech. Just hang back near the LRM boats and bang away on the enemy. BJs, even with the quirks, running an XL, are squishy - so try not to tank too hard: they're still a 45 ton Medium.

BJ-1DC

For the DC, just go with the Metamechs standard - runs pretty well for this weird mech. You can also go with MPLs, but whatevs.

#6 Learchus

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostExard3k, on 09 February 2016 - 07:34 AM, said:

I run my BJ-3 with 2x PPC and 4x MLas and 235XL. 4x MLas is always better than 2x MPLas and I wouldn't touch the Heat Sinks to get 4x MPLas. Yes the two are on the high hardpoints...but peeking <250m to justify the pulse lasers? Nahhhhhh, rarely. 3 Weapon groups and it runs very smooth.
If you want Large Lasers or LPLas, go for BJ-1X. BJ-3 is for PPCs and it does it very well.

No ER-PPCs for me. You want your 4 mediums to shoot in close range, ER-PPC only gets you overheated quickly, heat is insane for 10dmg and not worth it. Range quirk pushes normal PPC to 700m optimal which is enough for most shots.

Arrow? XL235 + 3xLLas, no-brainer.

Can't say much on the BJ-1 and -DC because I don't own them.

You just solidified my choice on the BJ-3

Thanks Mate!

View PostDawnstealer, on 09 February 2016 - 08:18 AM, said:

Grind them fast, OP - word is they're getting hit with the nerf stick on the next patch. Fun mech, even when they're not over-quirked, though.

Arrow's got a meta build, but I run mine with the 6 MGs intact:

ARROW

Hang back, alternate the center LL with the two torso ones. Late in the game, wade on in with the MGs. Really fun hero.

BJ-1

You pretty much have to take advantage of the AC2 quirks on this mech. Just hang back near the LRM boats and bang away on the enemy. BJs, even with the quirks, running an XL, are squishy - so try not to tank too hard: they're still a 45 ton Medium.

BJ-1DC

For the DC, just go with the Metamechs standard - runs pretty well for this weird mech. You can also go with MPLs, but whatevs.

Yep i heard that myself in game.... Keep thinking happens every time I pick a mech, did it with the Shadowhawks back when they were big, now the BJ -_-

#7 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

They're still fun mechs. My favorite is actually the non-meta one:

BJ-1X

Great Light-hunter and quick enough to be a really annoying, and sometimes deadly, skirmisher.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

Why do you guys want the BJ-1X to be a light hunter? It's a murderous beatstick right now, it can wreck almost any mech in the game. Don't waste it just hunting lights.

#9 Learchus

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

View PostTercieI, on 09 February 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

Why do you guys want the BJ-1X to be a light hunter? It's a murderous beatstick right now, it can wreck almost any mech in the game. Don't waste it just hunting lights.

Ive used in a skirmish role, got into the city behind tunnel on Crimson Straite and killed a timber and Hunchback, may go 8 med lasers and try to fit some JJs. I am amazed at the abuse this chasis can take, that game I took a couple good alpha glances and clan UACs arent fun

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

View PostLearchus, on 09 February 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

Ive used in a skirmish role, got into the city behind tunnel on Crimson Straite and killed a timber and Hunchback, may go 8 med lasers and try to fit some JJs. I am amazed at the abuse this chasis can take, that game I took a couple good alpha glances and clan UACs arent fun

No JJ on the 1X and MLs over 6 get ghost heat. That's why XL295, 6ML, 2MPL is THE build.

Fair warning: it's losing some structure quirks Tuesday.

#11 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

yeah the BJ-1 AC/20 build is glorious, play the BJ-3 first, and get used to the low jumps you can do, the arms are really high and it's quite nice.

the BJ-1x is great, and it's even better now, don't let all these nay sayers talk it down to simply quirks, the mech has ideal hardpoints, and good speed... it's just quirked to be tougher then the Hellbringer LOL.

the chassis itself is hard to focus down components, the size is spot on for it's speed and tonnage, be mindful of your side torso, since you can shoot the ST from under your arm. (armpit is ST)

Posted Image

#12 Learchus

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

oh didnt think the nerf was happening so quickly. Guess its good that I run it more as a skirmisher, just have to watch the edges of the battle and break LOS more me thinks

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

Agreed, the 1X was great before quirks, they just made it stupid.

#14 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

View PostLearchus, on 09 February 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

Got tired of my shadowhawks sold them, picked up 3 blackjacks, oh my its like night and Day!

Been running the 1x like this:

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=79&l=349afd6ea16da95782e3ac4798cbb758f5366122">BJ-1X</a>

6 medium lasers and 2 pulses and the speed of the xl 275 (soon to go up) makes this a sick light hunter and skirmisher. The alpha is pretty nasty on this too. My current go to for until all basic skills are bought

I have the BJ-3. I am undecided on which way to go with it.
<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=80&l=1acc332679974b40d8c7db0b71bc6a76b1038628">BJ-3</a>
Takes advantage of the PPC quriks, and makes a decent poker, with medium pulses for shorter engagements.

I've also thought to put on Large lasers or Large Pulse lasers

Something like this
<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=80&l=b8a350e7b7df26f3b642552826692d26a1edbe2e">BJ-3</a>

And Lastly havent even started on the BJ-1 yet, maybe ac/2s and mediums? Let me know what you guys think

A moment of silence for another fallen shawk pilot o7. I have this feeling that soon, i'll be the only pilot left in that ugly blocky, moves and turns like a freight train, skyscraperhigh mech.

#15 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

4 med 1 gauss on the bj1 works really well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users