11 replies to this topic

#1 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:14 AM

So I'm back to playing recently and want to get my next two Battlemasters. I started with the hero, because it was on sale ages ago, and I like running it with 4 large lasers as mid range direct fire support. I've had many great matches with it. Unfortunately it doesn't fare so well in a brawl. I think I would like one vatiant that can brawl and one that can handle PPCd or superior long range lasers. I'd maybe like to go with one variant that can manage an AC in the arm but I think I'll ultimately stick with torso mounted lasers.

What would be two solid variants to try to tackle from here? Ideally some with quirks that make them play differently from each other and maintain usefulness.

Edited by Raso, 10 February 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

Battlemasters are pretty ferocious, but they definitely play in a unique way. For all Battlemasters, just take advantage of those high torso mounts, but it sounds like you figured that out already.

I built my Hellslinger in a highly unconventional, "fun" way, never intending to take it into competitive matches or CW:

HELLSLINGER

2 ERLL in the shoulders, 2 LPLs for brawling (in the arms), 2 Flamers for the lawlz, AMS. Really fun.

For the next two variants, I'd say the 1S is a good backup:

BLR-1S

4 ERLLs, AMS (you'll notice a trend here - I run AMS on everything, but feel free to dump it for whatever)

Now this one, I DO drop in CW, especially if I'm on Boreal Vault defending. This mech has a +25% energy range quirk: with ERLL range leveled out to 5? You can poke people for full damage from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off, and the STD will give you a lot of obnoxious staying power. Not so awesome in a brawl, but at range? REAL nasty.

Next, I'd go with the 1G, which I run in a very non-meta:

BLR-1G

6 MPLs, 1 LPL, 400 XL engine.

This thing moves at 84kph. It's crazy, it's weird, it's fun. Bonus that you can also run the 1G in a more conventional, probably more useful, meta build with 5 LLs and a STD 320 (the metamechs build):

BLR-1G

#3 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

3M for maximum wub

1S for lol-missiles

1D for the forkmaster

#4 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostRear Admiral Tier 6, on 10 February 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

3M for maximum wub

1S for lol-missiles

1D for the forkmaster

My lingo is a little dated. What is this fork you speak of?

#5 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

View PostRaso, on 10 February 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

My lingo is a little dated. What is this fork you speak of?

3 autocannons,uac or ac5+2 ac2s

#6 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Read the quirk list to be inspired.

Anyway, the best BLRs must have 6 high mounted energy harpoints.

3S-----> 3LPL+3MPL

1G---->3LPL+3ML

1S----> 4erLL works in Boral/Polar

2C----> good structure quirks, u can mount XL, safer than the other ones (then 3LPL/ etc..)

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

2C is the tankiest.

1G is my next favourite, for the 2 ballistic slots.

#8 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

I enjoy the 2C and the 1S, I'm really trying to make the 1G work but I am finding the narrower torso yaw to be more of an issue than I expected; my targets frequently seem just out of my twist reach.

#9 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

View PostHusker Dude, on 10 February 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

I enjoy the 2C and the 1S, I'm really trying to make the 1G work but I am finding the narrower torso yaw to be more of an issue than I expected; my targets frequently seem just out of my twist reach.

Yeah, 1G is less of a brawler than the others, fershur. If targets are about 100-300m away, it shines.

#10 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

I believe the best two variants are considered the 2c and 1g. I have the 1s, 2c, and 1g, and out of those three the 2c and 1g are the best IMO. However, I've been using them only recently so I do not have a ton of experience. If you're looking for a brawling battlemaster, the Battlemaster 1s can run 4 SRM 6's, which is a pretty ridiculous amount of firepower. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that is probably your "best bet" for a brawling Battlemaster.

The thing is, all battlemasters handle very differently. The 1g has very limited torso twist, but a lot of firepower, the 2c is very tanky for an 85 ton assault, and the 1s is....... well............... It's got ERLL to use in CW. I would say you should look at the quirks to decide what you want. However, 2c is probably the best battlemaster right now, and the 1s can fulfill your brawling requirement with those 4 missile hardpoints.

Hope this helps,

Peace and have fun.

#11 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Ok, possible build ideas.

A 1S built to brawl using all the quirks to it's advantage.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...df2efc154266c37

and 1G which satisfies my need to pack more than just a butt load Mdlas on any build larger than a Cicada featuring an AC10 and 6 Mlas.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...026cd4535d0737b
LBX10 version.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7c9114b6fdc7454

Part of me really wants to make a PPC build but I'd rather use those chassis to take advantage of lasers....

#12 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

On my 2C I run an XL 375, 3 lpl, and 3 mpl, and either 20, or 21 dhs, depending or not if I take dual ams, on my G I have been running an XL 375, and 4 lpl and loving it. Quirks and mods, will push the lpl range well over 400 m. Letting you do lots of carving beyond srm range. There are lots of ggod builds using a dual ac5 on the arm and med lasers for the torsos. Again good quirks and mods will give you 350m range for med lasers and it runs pretty cool. On my 4 lpl G, I run it with 21 dhs, for a 1.43 he.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users