A Few Queries[Too Long Post]

13 replies to this topic

#1 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

Hello, I'm new to Mechwarrior Online.

I have played Mechwarrior 2, both expansions and Mechwarrior 3 as well as Mech Commander 2.

Firstly, In terms of f2p vs. p2p.

Does p2p break the metagame?

On the metagame.

Is this game purely reliant on meta, or does piloting skill dominate. Or vice versa.

I'm mainly coming from Old School Armored Core, but have roots in the Mechwarrior PC games.

I like customization, optimization, experimentation and having fun with the Mech's I build.

Games with no meta succumb to cheap tricks and ruin the game, and too much meta makes it feel pointless because once you have the biggest robot, that's it.

On gameplay.

This is my first online game of any sort since Starcraft at 10 yrs old. How often should I be online? Or, more precisely, what game modes support "casual" and which ones require more dedication? I do not want to start a game that requires advanced planning or scheduling like WoW.

I have the general idea of how to behave from lurking, but advice would be appreciated.

Lastly, I want a game that I can invest time in over the long haul and get something back.

Not a twitch fest nor a 1-100 grind then start a new character.

PS: Can I use a joystick?

Edited by Motormouth, 11 February 2016 - 01:36 AM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

this is free to play, paying does not give you an advantage, it just gets you stuff quicker.
the stuff you can buy with real money includes:
preorder Mech packs, get new models months before free players do, occasionally a new Mech turns out to be really good
  Hero Mechs with 30% bonus Cbill income and diferant hardpoints to cbill variants, heroes are not usualy overpowered, and are sometimes the worst variant
  Champion Mechs, upgraded loadouts with 30% extra XP income, you can build exactly the same Mech for cbills without the bonus XP
  Premium time, increases Cbill and XP earnings by 50%, also unlocks options for private matches, however a match must have 2 with premium time for less than 12v12
  paint and cammo, one shot cammo is cheep but is a single application to that Mech, unlock unlocks toe cammo for all variants of that chassis e.g. all Spiders, but costs 10x as much as one shot, buy paints and they are unlocked for any Mech
  cockpit items
  exchange Mech XP for GXP Modules need unlocking with GXP which accumulates at 5% the rate of Mech XP, so when finished leveling a Mech you can spend MC to convert extra Mech XP to GXP

on the meta, irrelevant in the lower tiers, piloting skill is more important than Mech build, teamwork is more important than piloting skill

there are 3 types of play,

Solo Quick Play, you just login choose a Mech and play, there to have fun and earn cbills. you are placed on a "team" with 11 other individuals, a little communication or organization goes a long way, you are the Blue team, the enemy are the Red team.

Group Quick Play, the teams are more organized, you are likely to get punished more for a mistake but as you are working with a group the games are much more interesting.

Faction Play, originally known as Community Warfare, you take a contract with 1 of 10 factions, 4 Clans and 6 Inner Sphere Factions, to fight for a map of the galaxy, this should be getting a major upgrade in April but for now you must first take a contract, I strongly recommend against taking a permanent contract. then you need to choose 4 Mechs which fit within the weight limits, at current that is 160 minimum 260 maximum, when one Mech dies you choose which you want to use next.
if you are Clan you can only use Clan Mechs, IS can only use IS Mechs.

You queue up on a planet and when there are 12 people a match forms, you then wait for an enemy team to form, if after 10 minutes no enemy show up you just drop against the base.
If the enemy turn up the attackers have to kill the base, the defenders have to protect the base, first kill gate generators to open gates (you can jump over the gates if your Mech has Jumpjets but not everyone will), then there are O Gens to kill, finally kill the "omega" a generator on the back of a big gun

There is also a counter attack mode where the base is already captured by the attacking team so roles are reversed there is only 1 objective then it is down to kills, if the objective "Omega" (in this case a mobile field base not the big gun) is intact the defenders (the team who wanted to attack) win, if the defenders have more Mechs left they win, to win the attackers have to knock out the Omega and finish with more survivors.

this game is growing with new features added periodically, new Mechs are added most months, there is some interesting stuff on the way including new game modes for both quick play and faction play due over the next few months, this is not a twitch shooter, even light Mechs can usualy take a few hits unless you let a big Mech have time to line up a shot on you, however if half the enemy team is shooting at you even a 100 ton Atlas (probably the most durable Mech in the game) goes down inside 10 seconds.

in terms of how often you need to be online, that does not matter for any of the game modes, you can play any as little or often as you want, however play more often and you will probably get better more quickly.

while you can improve individual Mechs by unlocking skills or customizing them, and there are modules to unlock which can give you a few % advantage there is no leveling the player up other than Player Skill Rating which is completely skill based and mostly aimed at getting you fair games, and it does not  improve your stats except by you becoming more skilled.

in the long term especially if you want to get into faction play you will likely want to join a unit (player run team, equivalent or a guild or clan in other games), playing with friends feels more rewarding.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 February 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#3 Varvar86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 441 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:42 AM

Short:
1 - You need to be ofline as often as you want. MWO don't require you to be here all the time, and you won't loose any advantages/ranks/money/other if you miss day/week/month/year.

2 – There is no P2W on this game at all. All new mechs/mech packs you see on web-page store – they are early access only. That’s means for real money you support developers and you get early access and bonuses and can play those before other can. All these packs after 1 month become avialable for MC (premium in game money) after 2 or more months after first release - become available fror CBL’s (free in game money). That means so if you don’t want to spent mpney - all you need to do be patient and wait cople of months to get all that staff for free. Only things available for real money or MC (its in game equivalent) are – hero mechs, mechbays, paints and other cosmetical stuff like cockpit things. There a lot of different events when you can get all those thing for free as reward. Mechbays you can win by ranking up in Faction Warfare. Only advantage of Hero mechs is custom paint, +30% CBL’s boost and slightly different loadout – they don’t wreck people and wont provide you any advantages on battlefield.

3 – Solo drops (“Play” button) most casual. System combines 12 random people with equal rank to provide nice gameplay. Tier 5 is the lowest all new players start with this one. Tier 1 is highest. By playing you will slowly progress to higher rank.

4 – group drops - mediocre to high level gameplay. When you group up with friends or other player through creating a group System not taking into account player’s personal skill level and looks only at the common group skill level. Groups matches are usually more organized and tougher than solo drops are.

5 – Community Warfare - top level gameplay. Requires you to have at least 4 mechs you own, have mastered and know well to perform at least close to others. Lots of VERY well organized units and groups fighting for domination on global inner sphere map. Matches here can very and very frustrating if you not playingas a part of big group or don’t know what are you doing.

6 – There is NO mechs ranks/levels in this game, every single mech can perform good at battlefield. System preset is to combine 3 lights 3 mediums 3 heavies and 3 assaults from each side (except CW where you have preset maximum tonnage limit of drop ship and 4 mechs to play in 1 round so first drop can consist of all heavies/assaults or other combination of classes). So you will see all variety of mech classes on the battlefield. You can play whatever you like as much as you like. Pilot skill level is only representing how system recognize players in game skills but that’s doesn’t means that their mechs are better or higher level – that only means that player knows the game and using this knowledge of builds/maps/hetmanagment/aiming/gameplay trick and tactics/equipment and combination of all those to perform better in game.

More game modes and CW changes are expected in short therm.
P.S – 4 years in this game already - there is no “100 level” to stop on, there is always something interesting to try/build/do

Edited by Varvar86, 11 February 2016 - 02:58 AM.

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:58 AM

There are many viable complaints to be made about MWO
Pay to win is not one of them. Pay for impatience or vanity sure, but you are not buying any advantages

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:16 AM

MWO is not comparable with armored core, hawken, or other Japanese style mecha games where bots are flying and skeeting around.

Joystiks are only weakly supported. I STRONGLY recommend using mouse and keybord.

How twitchy it gets depends strongly on your mech and playstyle.

The slower your potential reaction time the better your battlefield awareness and the bigger your mech should bePosted Image

Having a real powerfull gaming PC helps a lot for beeing successfull in this game since it is punishingly demanding on pc ressources and horridly ineffective in terms of using available pc ressources. ( main processor and graphics at 50-60 % but still sometimes below 30 frames in pug and below 20 in CW and such jokes )

At last make no mistakes. This is a PURE online PvP game. There is nothing that pure time online will get you.
Sometime in the far future there shall be an AI and bot players and little single player story line....sooonTM

At last....have fun playing MWO.
Levelheadedness and patience will be your best guides.
Also there are some dudes in the forums beeing a real help.

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:56 AM

About meta. Yes it exists, however new players start at a level where meta is much less important than pilot skill. Meta really only matters once you get to the highest tiers. I am in Tier 3 and have been playing regularly since August of 2012. I frankly don't care about the meta, I'm here to have fun.

I too strongly encourage you to go mouse and keyboard. I played all of the previous MW titles with a joystick and there is no way I could be as effective with a joystick in this game. Sad but true.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, do so. The game is a LOT of fun. You will have lots of questions . . . you've found the right place to ask them. In the meantime, welcome to MWO and I hope to see you on the battlefield.

#7 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:00 AM

Def not pay to win. As said above everything can be bought in game for cbills or found for free in the challenges on weekends. Except hero mechs and champion mechs, but they are fluff, not OP. There is no golden bullet that will magically turn you into a MWO rockstar overnight for 19.99. Some mechs are better than others in different situations and there is a meta at the highest lvls of game play involving pin point damage and tons of teamwork. However at lower starting tier you will find it is more about players playing how they want in what mech they want to play learning the games ins and outs.

It's really simple, play the tutorial all the way through, then play 25 matches in the trial mechs to earn your starting cash. Return here with what you liked or disliked about each mech and we that watch these forums will do our best to help you choose a mech for your play style/ goals.

#8 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:19 AM

Most was said, i will just add (maybe again):

Meta is the dot on the i.
Money will not help besides you could get optimization faster, or you would less hesitate to use consumables which you can buy for ingame c-bills anyway... I spend money only for diversity (more mechbays) and customizing (camos+ colors).

Skill is the key. However I am not sure if that skill can be called piloting skill.
Having ultra good reflexes and a precise eye hand coordination, of course helps.
But you need a understanding how to act as a mech lance, how concentrate fire with your team, where to be where not to be, how to spread damage on you and your team, how to use the mech(its advantages) you have efficiently etc etc.

There are way more better people here then me regarding that...

Edited by aGentleWarrior, 11 February 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#9 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

I dono, lately the pay to have an advantage is starting to get a little more prominent , the thing to look after are hero mechs, some people will say it just gives you more options... yes some of them give you some good options ( good hardpoints, quirks and some are the only ones to have ecm, jump-jets and masc ) witch you will not get with out paying.

The other thing is the fact that mechs come out in buy-able packages and become available for in-game grindable money in 3 months after, meaning that if it is a great mech you might be getting killed by it for 3 months before you too get it, though this has been less of a balance problem after the original clan invasion.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 11 February 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

Meta can be reasonably easy to overcome by using a combination of knowledge and non-meta.

"Twist and shoot" meta builds rely on weapons with longer reload times and 'twisting' to protect their important body parts. You can either ferociously attack with a high DPS-oriented build (making the twist and shoot method completely useless) or just take out their leg.

Long range builds usually aren't very good up close.

Close range builds can't handle fighting afar.

The deadliest DPS builds tend to have issues with turning.

Lasers are flimsy and hot; don't hide. Make them overheat. Laugh in their faces as you put twin AC/20s right up to their cockpit and blow it sky high.

Every meta build has something it's good at... and beyond that it sucks. Thing is they are designed to work together in a group. So long as you're in quick play, you can overcome them by learning what they are good at and what their weaknesses are.

Personally, I laugh at meta and run junk. Sometimes I perish quickly. Sometimes I get the last laugh. What's important is having fun.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:23 AM

Best tip I can possibly give you if you must rush into enemy fire.
Move diagonally.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

One thing I wanted to help stress is that skill outweighs meta builds in every aspect.

"Meta" equates to a mech built according to DPS and mathematics that determine the absolute highest DPS possible for that chassis, nothing more. "Meta" is just another word for min/max in context of MWO.

If you build a mech with a role in mind and according to your personal play style there's almost no such thing as a "bad" mech.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostSandpit, on 11 February 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

One thing I wanted to help stress is that skill outweighs meta builds in every aspect.

"Meta" equates to a mech built according to DPS and mathematics that determine the absolute highest DPS possible for that chassis, nothing more. "Meta" is just another word for min/max in context of MWO.

If you build a mech with a role in mind and according to your personal play style there's almost no such thing as a "bad" mech.

I can't stress this enough. And Koniving's comments about Meta as well. I sometimes think about how some of those meta warriors would do in a non-meta mech.

And, I so enjoy finding a meta sniper build and blowing the snot out of it with my measley 3 mplas.

#14 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 February 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

Meta can be reasonably easy to overcome by using a combination of knowledge and non-meta.

"Twist and shoot" meta builds rely on weapons with longer reload times and 'twisting' to protect their important body parts. You can either ferociously attack with a high DPS-oriented build (making the twist and shoot method completely useless) or just take out their leg.

Long range builds usually aren't very good up close.

Close range builds can't handle fighting afar.

The deadliest DPS builds tend to have issues with turning.

Lasers are flimsy and hot; don't hide. Make them overheat. Laugh in their faces as you put twin AC/20s right up to their cockpit and blow it sky high.

Every meta build has something it's good at... and beyond that it sucks. Thing is they are designed to work together in a group. So long as you're in quick play, you can overcome them by learning what they are good at and what their weaknesses are.

Personally, I laugh at meta and run junk. Sometimes I perish quickly. Sometimes I get the last laugh. What's important is having fun.

Very well said.

Most Meta builds tend to be one trick ponies. It is a damn good trick, but just one.

The bottom line is this, nothing wrong with a meta build, but the question is, can you use it well?
Just because some tier q**** put some build on a list and declared it to be the best, does not mean that if you use it you will be the greatest pilot ever.

Like any tool, you have to understand what it can do, and cannot do, and then you have to make the best of it. Does not matter if it is meta, mixed purpose, troll build, lore based etc etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users