What Modules To Get On My Brawler Shadow Cat?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Paqu

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hello!

Here is my Shadow Cat build:
https://dl.dropboxus...hadow%20Cat.jpg

I know its not propably the best build out there and now that I have moved to tier 3 it has become increasingly difficult to do a decent job with the mech. But on those few games when it does work and I get to hammer enemies with the rockets without taking too much fire back it is the most fun I have had with this game.

Now Iam hoping to somehow make it just a bit better and really the only thing there is left to add is the modules. Currently I only have the "medium laser range 5" module and well 4x zoom which I dont use on this mech for obvious reasons.

At first I was thinking about the "C-SRM 6 range" module but then realized it would only give me 27 meters of extra range (270m --> 297m) which would be barely noticeable. So I guess the cooldown module for the SRM would make a bigger difference and overall be the best choise for this build?

Module for the mech. Well thats the thing I really dont know which one should I get. Maybe radar deprivation and improved gyros?

Also if anyone has any suggestions about what should I change on my loadout to make it bit better then please say so. Posted Image

#2 Chadamir Fitzkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

C-SRM-6 Range actually makes a big difference, get that and cooldown. Radar Derp is a necessity; see if you can fit on seismic and target info gathering. On my CW drop deck I make sure each mech carries Radar derp and info gathering.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

Seismic Sensor is pretty handy for ambushing people around corners with a build such as yours

#4 Shura1986

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hello, i will drop 1 dhs and max armor, leaving 4 armor on rear side torso and 6 rear armor on ct,
You can look here http://metamechs.com...des/shadow-cat/ for more builds.
And here http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ you can build your mech virtually before buying.

Sorry for my english.

#5 Paqu

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostFitzgeraId, on 11 February 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

C-SRM-6 Range actually makes a big difference, get that and cooldown. Radar Derp is a necessity; see if you can fit on seismic and target info gathering. On my CW drop deck I make sure each mech carries Radar derp and info gathering.

Hmm, but which one do you think would still be better? Cooldown or range? I mean since I already have the medium laser range module I would have to replace it if I would want to have both upgrades on SRM's. I feel like laser range + SRM cooldown would be better combination than cooldown + range on SRM. Right?

Ah I completely missed the seismic sensor. Yes that would make sense for sure. Too bad all that stuff is hilariously expensive so I have quite a bit of grinding to do..

View PostShura1986, on 11 February 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

Hello, i will drop 1 dhs and max armor, leaving 4 armor on rear side torso and 6 rear armor on ct,
You can look here http://metamechs.com...des/shadow-cat/ for more builds.
And here http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ you can build your mech virtually before buying.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks for the links. Would it really be worth it to drop a heatsink just to get 3 points of armor on both legs and 12 on the head? So far I have never been killed by headshot so thats why I felt like I can take the risk and drop the head armor that low. I do get shot on the back time to time so Iam bit worried about such of a low rear armor as you suggested, but I'll keep it in mind.

Also just finished off a good game after three failed ones and this is what I meant about "when it does work" Posted Image
https://dl.dropboxus...great%20run.jpg

Anyways thanks for the help!

#6 Chadamir Fitzkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

View PostPaqu, on 11 February 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Hmm, but which one do you think would still be better? Cooldown or range? I mean since I already have the medium laser range module I would have to replace it if I would want to have both upgrades on SRM's. I feel like laser range + SRM cooldown would be better combination than cooldown + range on SRM. Right?

Cooldown is priority for me.

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

How's your heat? if you find your often running the redline, well, maybe cooldown wouldn't help much.

Me? Half my brawlers eschew cooldown due to the already considerable heat they build. There's only so much heat dissipation you know. If heat's not a problem though, cooldown, all the way. I love it with my ballistics.

~Leone.

#8 Paqu

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostLeone, on 11 February 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

How's your heat? if you find your often running the redline, well, maybe cooldown wouldn't help much.

Me? Half my brawlers eschew cooldown due to the already considerable heat they build. There's only so much heat dissipation you know. If heat's not a problem though, cooldown, all the way. I love it with my ballistics.

~Leone.

Thats a good point. I just went to test it on River City. I can fire 3 alpha strikes + one full volley with rockets and it will end up at 96% heat which to me is quite good. Also I can just stop using the lasers once I reach 50% or so heat and only fire the rockets which will allow me to keep firing for quite a good amount of time. And of course on colder maps its even better. Also I have set all rockets on their own fire groups so I can fire those one by one as well to prevent overheating.

So cooldown + seismic sensor + radar deprivation it is then. Only need 15 million for it..

Edited by Paqu, 12 February 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#9 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostPaqu, on 11 February 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Thanks for the links. Would it really be worth it to drop a heatsink just to get 3 points of armor on both legs and 12 on the head? So far I have never been killed by headshot so thats why I felt like I can take the risk and drop the head armor that low. I do get shot on the back time to time so Iam bit worried about such of a low rear armor as you suggested, but I'll keep it in mind.

Also just finished off a good game after three failed ones and this is what I meant about "when it does work" Posted Image
https://dl.dropboxus...great%20run.jpg

Anyways thanks for the help!

Not worth it for the armor, especially not head armor. It is true that leg armor it's very important for lighter weight mechs, but having played an SRM + MPL version of the Shadow Cat I would say go with the heat sink.

Radar deprivation module is a must - even with ECM - because you will need ur for other mechs anyways. So make that a priority over Seismic. For weapon modules I would go with cooldown and range modules both for the SRM 6.

Finally, I would suggest armor distributions of 38 front / 6 rear on the side torsi, 48 front / 8 rear on the center torso. I personally would load the front even more heavily for myself, but at early tier 3 you can go with a more evenly distributed spread than I run. Do add more to the front though, because tier 3 does mean people will be aiming for specific components a bit more and every bit helps on the front side.

Edited by grendeldog, 13 February 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#10 Paqu

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:40 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 13 February 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

Not worth it for the armor, especially not head armor. It is true that leg armor it's very important for lighter weight mechs, but having played an SRM + MPL version of the Shadow Cat I would say go with the heat sink.

Radar deprivation module is a must - even with ECM - because you will need ur for other mechs anyways. So make that a priority over Seismic. For weapon modules I would go with cooldown and range modules both for the SRM 6.

Finally, I would suggest armor distributions of 38 front / 6 rear on the side torsi, 48 front / 8 rear on the center torso. I personally would load the front even more heavily for myself, but at early tier 3 you can go with a more evenly distributed spread than I run. Do add more to the front though, because tier 3 does mean people will be aiming for specific components a bit more and every bit helps on the front side.

Yeah I usually dont get shot on the legs at all and rarely lose a leg since people seem to aim more on my center and right torso. I do tend to lose the right torso too often and really need to start protecting it better.

Well I already got the seismic sensor. Just the level 1 so I could unlock the radar deprivation skill with my remaining GXP. Now I just need couple million more to get it. Seismic is great and has saved my *** several times already.

Iam still bit unsure about lowering my rear armor as I have a bad habit of turning my back to the enemy when I need to bail out of bad spot so I can see where Iam going. Once I get rid off that I'll adjust the armor. Posted Image

#11 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

I would do Radar dep, seismic, SRM6 cooldown/range. Could go target info gathering if your preferences run that way.

Consumables - probs a cool shot and an arty/air strike

I would flip some of the rear armor frontward, esp. center torso. Shadow cats have slim CT backs so you could run 10/10/10. I think I run 8/10/8 or 8/8/8.

I would flip the ammo to the arms and the HS to the torsos, personally, and split both the 1t SRM ammo in half to occupy more spaces.

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

ERML range so you can poke at up to long range, and SRM6 cooldown so you can splat hardest when you need it most.

Seismic will be useful for knowing there's someone to splat just around that corner.

You don't need Radar Dep on an ECM Mech. You don't want SRM6 range because Clan SRMs are plenty ranged enough, and the longer the range, the more missiles will miss.

Edited by Appogee, 14 February 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#13 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

Seismic, SRM6 cool down, Erml Range.

next personal choice, some say you don't need some do.

I would use radar dep even with ecm as at T3 plenty of lurm about, and it only takes a bap carrying mech to shut down your ECM

#14 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

Both SRM Range and Cooldown would be good, you have 2 slots for weapon modules so you could run both. Will cost you 3 mil per module.

I used to use that build. Now I run 3 ERML or MPL plus 2 ASRM6.

I don't really run Radar Dep on a ECM Mech, I make Seismic and TIG my choices.

Edited by Wildstreak, 14 February 2016 - 01:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users