12 replies to this topic

#1 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

Well, I recently finished mastering all my Cheetahs and I'm throwing a graduation party! But seriously, what a good mech it has been for me. I had some growing pains with it, but all in all the least painful mech I've skilled up. And by way of disclosure, I am and always have almost exclusively piloted heavies. So I may have missed some of the finer points an uber light pilot may give. That said, I made this mostly for someone looking to pick up a good light (clan) mech.

Anyway, after putting my time in a have come to several conclusions about the chassis. First off, there seems to be some residual hate for it out there. I have gathered that maybe in the past it had some really nice/OP quirks, and maybe the hit boxes were messed up. However being a recent purchase for me, I find it a good honest mech.

Since I'm there maybe it is apropos to mention how annoying it is to have least two Oxides/Jenners each match trying to ram 3,000 SRMs up my rear...err armor... every chance they get. Seriously, that whole situation needs some attention.

Moving on, I feel the Cheetahs niche is as a flanker and short range scout. As a flanker, the two ultra high torso hard points allow me to stay relatively concealed and the mech has just enough pew pew to get their attention. I've literally solo flanked entire teams, while the rest of my team sat behind a hill.Posted Image And as a scout it does well. Just don't go too far out, there are several mechs that can chase it down. That is one lesson I learned the hard way, until you get “speed tweak” keep your team within yelling distance. hehe Which reminds me, I was lured into some over confidence because this mech does really well even with just the basics done, which is rare in my book.

Now for my favorite builds. I haven't tried every build that I want to, but I have tried enough of them to know most posted builds are way out of date. Keeping in mind that several build points I make are only minor improvements based on my play style. And I tried to modify them the least I could to get a viable build, in other words I'm cheap.

ACH -Prime
This one is a good place to start because I feel it has better quirks than the rest and is the only Cheetah that I can see running with all the stock omni-pods. I settled on a 4 ERM build because it fit the hard points well, and the quirks complimented it. This is my most rounded variant.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0a1403f8dae6ae

ACH-A
This one lacks 8 piece quirk bonuses, so no worries on piecemeal-ing this one. This is my 2 ERL sniper build. It is the hardest to use, but lots of fun when it works. I use the ACH-C legs to get the acceleration quirk for maximum poke-ablity. Because of the painfully long burn time on the ERLs, the best use for this mech is in tandem with another sniper, or two, while providing them ECM coverage.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...950917c7dffbb40

ACH-B
This variant is a mess in stock form, so I made it my brawler. With 5 SPL things go boom pretty fast, however there is a near constant range anxiety issue. Which reminds me, for all three of these builds your going to want to put weapon range modules on the short list for purchasing. Note, I'm using the Prime legs for the turning quirk. And that I use ACH-A left arm for 8 points of free structure. Honestly this thing can be a beast, it is the best brawler I own. It has enough heat sinks to stay in the fight until it is done, which is why I like using 5 instead of the usual 6 SPLs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1da6916bc32fd35

You are probably thinking this mech sounds perfect. Well, not quite it has negatives. The first, is that it has to carry 6 jump jets around. Besides the occasional ridge-to-ridge traverse or hop up to a scouting perch are totally unnecessary, and with the current heat system maybe even deadly. If you could run 2-3 jets and put a heatsink or two in the legs instead, man that would rock socks. The other being that it is an omni-mech, you are locked into the engine, so every good light pilot out there knows exactly how fast it is :( And considering all the center torsos are nearly identical, it is a little bit less “ommi” than I’d prefer. Hence the endless choices of running an energy build, and energy build, or possibly if I’m feeling the itch, an energy build.

All that said, I do feel the Cheetah is a top tier mech that requires a practiced hand, cunning and nerves of steel to pilot.Posted Image

Well, I'm off to the battle grid. I hope to see some fellow Cheetah pilots running in the pack.

Edited by Wedge Red Leader, 13 March 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#2 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:26 AM

If i went Clanner all i'd use would be lights.

#3 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

mmmkay, got a 'Like'

I own one ACH (and am primarily a light pilot these days, but I'm too firmly entrenched in my Wolfhounds), and haven't liked it enough to bother snagging two more... but post still get's a Like because
1. Well thought out and written, annnd
2. Screen name. Posted Image

now Wedge, if only you played X-wing: Miniatures also I'd hit you with a double like.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:52 AM

I hate those little bast..ds. I respect them as the deadliest little demons in the game. But oh, how I loathe them.

#5 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 02 March 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

mmmkay, got a 'Like'

I own one ACH (and am primarily a light pilot these days, but I'm too firmly entrenched in my Wolfhounds), and haven't liked it enough to bother snagging two more... but post still get's a Like because
1. Well thought out and written, annnd
2. Screen name. Posted Image

now Wedge, if only you played X-wing: Miniatures also I'd hit you with a double like.

1. Thanks Posted Image
2. I use Wedge often as an alias, even back in MW4. A lot of names were taken, so I when I settled on this one I had no idea the opposing team is always redPosted Image

#6 C A R N A G E

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

Lol yeah ,I totally get disgusted when I see artic cheetahs running with a couple of SRM packing Jenner's.That's a 1 two knockout punch.:)
Wolfhound's are an honest light mech but the artic cheetahs are the devil.

#7 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

Why don't you try running a light that isn't a broken clan nerf target - then get back to me on how balanced it is :)

Of course it has some excellent features and benefits of clan tech, it just gets hate for the same reason the Spider and Firestarter used to - fast humanoid mechs are tougher to kill, but this one can get ECM and 7 clam flavored lasers!

Jenners can be excellent, but damn if that CT isn't the proverbial side of a barn. Locusts are their own way of life, same can be said for Urbies, but neither can do what the Cheetah can (Locust 1E can get close, but lacks jump jets and ECM). Commandos just haven't got a chance, with no jets and only 4 hardpoints TOTAL. Heck, Spiders are probably the closest to a Cheetah, and those poor things are even more hardpoint starved with only 1, 2 or 3 energy.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 07 March 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#8 jayswing126

Rookie

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

I hate Arctic Cheetahs, and as a light player, try to hunt them down in my spider, but usually get killed. they are the only light that can field 2 SRM 6's and two MLs. But they say when you hate a 'mech, you should play it. so i am considering getting it.

Oh and your location Wedge is Yavin 5. Posted Image

#9 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

View Postjayswing126, on 28 August 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

I hate Arctic Cheetahs, and as a light player, try to hunt them down in my spider, but usually get killed. they are the only light that can field 2 SRM 6's and two MLs. But they say when you hate a 'mech, you should play it. so i am considering getting it.

Oh and your location Wedge is Yavin 5. Posted Image

They can carry 2SRM6s and 2MLs, but it's one of the worst possible loadouts for them...

#10 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

Nice write-up, good article!

Personally i have no affection at all with the Cheetah. Not really because of the mech it self, it's pretty self-explainatory that it is a good one both in the mechlab as well as in the field. I dislike it because it of how META it is, the go-to mech in the light class. Also, because a lot of pilots rely a lot on the fact that it has an ECM, you hardly ever see one with out it. Anyway the numbers you see it in action and how many pilots do well in it, shows how good the chassis is.

For me, i prefer mechs / builds that are more challenging, stuff you rarely see that rely more on pilot skills and tactics rather then chassis / build quality. I'm more into locusts myself (with a single ppc - that stuff ;) )

#11 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

Do you ever run one with an erppc?

Just finished a match on Viridian Bog where a guy on the red team did over 900 damage with that loadout. Multiple kills too... he was pretty good with it. I want to try it out myself.

Well written article...

#12 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:47 PM

I absolutely love the Cheetah. No other light is in its class. Now the Cheetah doesn't need a NERF, the others need some love. On the topics of builds you can't go wrong with 6 smalls of whatever flavor you like. The superior assassin uses SPL but often the SL build gives you a bit more range flexibility. ERM can be interesting but just don't hit as hard. They can work but the usefulness against other lights also is diminished so I pass on them. If you don't mind the heat 5 ERMs cann be something. Always take ECM.

Really hoping the next release is an IS light of some type. 😀 The Locust is currently my second favorite light unit. In some ways I think a properly outfitted PHX is the best counter to the Cheetah and Viper right now.

I absolutely love the Cheetah. No other light is in its class. Now the Cheetah doesn't need a NERF, the others need some love. On the topics of builds you can't go wrong with 6 smalls of whatever flavor you like. The superior assassin uses SPL but often the SL build gives you a bit more range flexibility. ERM can be interesting but just don't hit as hard. They can work but the usefulness against other lights also is diminished so I pass on them. If you don't mind the heat 5 ERMs cann be something. Always take ECM.

Really hoping the next release is an IS light of some type. 😀 The Locust is currently my second favorite light unit. In some ways I think a properly outfitted PHX is the best counter to the Cheetah and Viper right now.

#13 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Does anyone have a smurfy link to an erppc Cheetah build?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users